Portrait

We Found Love in a Hopeless Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If she persisted to play the role of being stubborn then so would he, maybe this was all childish but somehow he didn’t seem to care.  She awoke a yearning in him that only she could tame and he was determined to make her see it.  He nestled in his carriage for nearly an hour arguing with his own thoughts when a light rapping came.  To his deep disappointment another young maiden stared at him as he pulled the small door open.  Her features were that of a still very young girl with dark locks of hair, yet she somehow resembled Shin Hye.  He figured then that this might be one of her sisters and in a breath when his eyes locked with hers to meet a scorn.

 

            “Shin Hye shall not come to see you.” she said, in a commanding tone.

 

            “Then I shall wait until she decides to.” Yong Hwa protested.

 

            “It would be a waste of your time to sit here thinking she will make up her mind and talk with you.”

 

            “Who are you?” he asked annoyed.

 

            “Min-young Park, her younger sister, and I am here to inform you that your childish acts must come to an end, unless you want me to fetch my father.” She threatened.

 

            “Does it look like I’m in a position to care for your threats?” he challenged.

 

            “You should, if you really love her you would gather yourself and leave, she has already gone through enough living with you, and know she still has to suffer at your hand while living away?” Min-young hissed.

 

            Yong Hwa broke their challenging gaze and closed his eyes for a moment, he knew this was preposterous.  He should follow her advice and leave but something nagged at him, was it his pride to have the upper hand?  Or was it that his love for Shin Hye kept him stuck here unable to move until she decided to hear him out?  He decided then that it was a little of both as he let out a sigh and turned to look at her small glaring frame.

 

            “I recognize that my past actions pushed me to take your dear sister for granted, but I assure you I am here to set things right.  I do not want her to hate me for what I used to be. I am a changed man because she set me straight and made me realize the error of my ways.” He said.

 

           “I think she knows that already, and I also know that she has decided to let you go.  Last night I watched as she knelt in front of the fire and slowly but truly let every sketch of you be consumed by fire.  Burning to a crisp every memory she had of you on paper was a big step for her.”

 

            “Liar,” Yong Hwa muttered through gritted teeth.

 

            “I am a lady and a respectful one for that matter, I do not lie.  I have watched her cry over you for the last six months, and I have had enough of it.  I don’t know what you did to make her love you so, but I am glad I have made her realize that there are plenty of other men out there willing to love her back and love deep with all of their might.”

 

            A leak of emotional pain showed as he knitted his brows together and clenched his jaw.  Every one of her words was like a dagger slowly but surely torturing his already broken heart.

 

            “I /will/ get her back.” He managed to mutter.

 

            “That decision is entirely up to her, and with the way things are looking I am most certain that you won’t.”

 

            With a stern look she picked up her skirts and turned to walk back into the house never glancing in his direction again as the front door came shut with a loud thud.

 

           *****

 

            Min-young made her way up the stairs taking each step with elegance and grace trying quietly to make it up the creaky wooden steps as if they were fragile.  When she reached her sisters faded white door she lightly gave a rapping and stood waiting for her reply.  She paused as she stood silent listening for any sound of her weeping but no noise came at all.  When she was certain that Shin Hye would never answer her door she finally opened to speak as she knocked once again.

 

            “I have asked him to leave, he refused, not until you come out and see him.” Min-young said crossing her arms.

 

            “He’s acting like a child,” Shin Hye suddenly hissed from behind the door.  In a sudden anger and irritation she swung open the door storming down the steps.  Her brown curls cascaded down her shoulder whipping with the wind in her haste to rush out towards the front door.

 

            “Do not go out there! Do not give him what he wants Shin Hye.” Min-young called after her.

 

            “Trust me, this man is as stubborn as they come, he will sit there till the end of days.” Shin Hye replied walking out the front door.  She marched, determined to give him a piece of her mind as she slammed open his carriage door.  Sure it was truly very un-ladylike to act in such a manner but everyone had their temper and she was reaching her breaking point.  Her heart lurched to see the awful mess he was as he sat there, his face shielded by his hands.

 

            “I want you to leave.” Shin Hye muttered.

 

            “Agree to see me, and I shall vanish like the thin air.” He retorted.

 

            “What else is there left to discuss about us? We have clearly already spoken of such.”

 

            Yong Hwa knitted his brow and took a deep breath as if searching for the right answer and finally said. “I know how much your garden means to you, and I know you long to see it.”

 

            “That is your bribe?” Shin Hye replied amused.

 

            “It is all I have to offer.” He whispered.

 

            She knew he loved her out of pity and if she were to return Yong Hwa would probably go back to his old self again.  She was not willing to go through that even if she loved him.  He was only right about one thing and that was her garden, she did miss it.  Something in her twisted in pain to remember all the time she spent in that labyrinth.

 

            “Paint for me.” He said.

 

            “I no longer possess my art supplies.” she lied.

 

            “I will supply you with more.”

 

            “Do not bother yourself, they are expensive.”

 

            “I do not care what p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter