The Lawyer

We Found Love in a Hopeless Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Sauntering out of the kitchen Shin Hye made her way upstairs, it was useless to try to encourage her spirits. She acknowledged deep within herself that Yong Hwa was anticipating the day to finally rid of her once and for all. He did not love her and never would, not for all the money or lands in the world. Lady Seo Hyun was his wife to be all along, Shin Hye had simply postponed that arrangement for a year and three months. Quietly she made her way back up the stairs still holding herself for fear that she might break down in tears again. Behind her followed an elderly man, being led up the stairs by Ji-min. She took notice of the black briefcase in his hands and figured it must have been the lawyer her husband had mentioned before they had had their unpleasant quarrel.

 

The creak of the large wooden door slightly came to reveal Lady Jung with a rather harsh scorn on her face. Ji-min timidly looked down to her feet as she introduced the man, but was soon interrupted by the bitter old woman.

“I’m sorry but my son is not seeing anyone at the moment”. Lady Jung said sternly closing the door.

They both stood there mouth agape at her rudeness and made their way towards the stairs. Ji-min chattered on with the lawyer trying the best she could to offer her apology for the little occurrence not a few moments ago. Shin Hye approached them, shyly feeling all of her insides knot in little tiny prickly bonds.

“Mind me asking; are you the lawyer Sir Jung called for?” Shin Hye asked.

Ji-min smiled graciously and hurried down the steps to her duties, clearly fancying being in far proximity from all of the palaver.

“Yes, and I do not understand why he would call me so urgently and then have a door slammed in my face?” He replied, wiping his face with a handkerchief.

The anger that clearly showed on his face made beads of sweat develop on his shiny forehead, and with a heavy sigh he proceeded in descending the stairs.

“I am Sir Jung’s wife and I was pondering if I could have a word with you”, she said.

“Of course”, he retorted.

He carefully tucked his white handkerchief into his coat and followed Lady Shin Hye down the stairs ever so gradually.

“Do you have the documents?” she questioned.

“Yes, He had them sought out a long time ago, I was simply holding on to them until he requested them brought. I’m certain that you knew about all of this”. He replied.

“Could I have a look at them?” Shin Hye asked, playing with the polyester textile of her dress.

“Are you agreeing to this divorce Lady Jung?” he asked now clearly curious.

“Of course” she chuckled, placing a smile on her face before a frown could overshadow her.

“In that case, I’ll just have you sign them if you don’t mind. We usually wait for the both of you to be here but the sooner it’s done the merrier”, he laughed, innocently.

“If you do not mind I rather wait for him to be here as well” she stuttered regretting ever asking to see the papers.

“When would it be a proper time to arrive?” He questioned.

“Why don’t you try coming within the weekend”. she replied leading him out the door.

 “He’s not feeling good at the moment”.

 “Do let him know that I did come by, but seeing that he is not in rich health I will be back until he recovers”.

 

Generously she said her farewells and closed the door feeling that this torturous day would never ever end. Once inside she took a seat in front of her bureau and placed her forehead against it feeling the cool of the smoothness faintly relief her of the small headache forming at the back of her head. Not a moment later, a weighty knock came at her door upsetting her as she straightened out. Walking over she responded only to find Lady Jung’s creased face staring at her with a disdain expression.

“My son asks that you see him immediately” she snipped in a quick sharp voice.

 

Yong Hwa had never requested she enter his chambers before. Muddled she walked out of her room towards his door gently rapping before she could enter. It felt deeply discomfited to stand in both his presence and that of his Mistress as Lady Seo Hyun sat painfully close to him. The knot that always seemed to form at the center of quickly took action so she cast down her eyes refusing to see them in such a fashion. Her fragile thin hands entwined together behind her as she waited for him to address her.

“Seo Hyun, wait outside”, he said slipping his hand from hers.

Seo Hyun observed him flabbergasted and astounded.

“I need to talk to her alone” he clarified again.

His voice was a low growl and startled at his stare she stood and went on her way. Shin Hye could feel the scowling eyes of Seo Hyun as she passed her by and walked out the door closing it just a little too hard. Interiorly she flinched and suddenly coveted to melt into the floor vanishing forever.

 “I expect you to be up early in the morning” Yong Hwa suddenly spoke.

Lifting her head in complete awe, she stared at Yong Hwa clearly not understanding. Why did he request her help?

“Whatever do you need my help for? Do you not have the aid of your mother and mistress?” she asked.

“My mother and Seo Hyun are not to blame for my misfortunes, you are” he accused trying to sit up.

“It will not be me helping you get off that bed”, she said, turning on one heel swiftly heading towards the door.

“We are not done here”, he snapped.

“I have said all I need to say to you, I see no reason why to linger here when I am clearly not wanted. As I recall you had specifically mentioned that I have no part in aiding you” Shin Hye retorted.

“I shall sign no divorce papers until you get me off this bed”, he growled.

“Why are you being tenacious? You finally got what you wanted”, she snapped turning her full attention on him now.

She fisted her hands and held her chin high. If the town people were to have seen this they would have probably call her under mannered, for women did not act out in such a way.

“I expected to be on both feet when I got divorced not crippled” he argued, looking at her in disgust.

She stared at him and then at his legs as they lay limp on the bed. She argued within herself as she casted her eyes away from his and finally she replied with a heavy sigh. Candidly, Shin Hye knew why she was accepting to aid him, it was neither guilt nor remorse, but the love she held for him was much sturdier to overpower her decline.

“If I am to help you get well then I expect for you to be of some cooperation” she said.

His lips parted to reply but she gave him no opportunity to do so as she turned and walked out the door. Her nippy and shrill remark left Yong Hwa speechless as he sat in bed stunned at the abrupt turn Shin Hye had taken. She virtually snorted as she walked past Lady Jung and Seo Hyun who had made it evident about their eavesdropping. Yong Hwa was going to be very problematic to work with. She could just envision the hell he would make her go through from sunrise to sunset.

 

“Is this a bad timing?” Sir Jung asked as he stood at the top of the steps.

Clearly, he had noticed the overwhelmed mood she had been in as she stormed out from her husband’s chambers. Nonetheless, she lifted her lips in an honest smile she meant and extended her hands out to him.

“Not at all, it is perfect timing, your son has injured himself he resides in his chambers resting, along with his mother and Lady Seo Hyun”, she said, holding him in a tight embrace.

“Seo Hyun? What is that no good she devil doing here?” he growled, creasing his fully white eyebrows.

“She came with your wife I believe” Shin Hye retorted, taking his arm to lead him towards his son’s room.

“I will wait and enter when they have left, I actually wanted to speak with you”, he said, lightly patting the back of her hand.

“Of course, why don’t we go into the tea room?” she suggested.

Agreeing with her they both gently made their way down the large stair way and into the tearoom.

“As you know my dear”, he began, taking his seat.

“The annual ball our f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter