Arrival

We Found Love in a Hopeless Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The morning sunshine peered through the forest trees tainting the clouds with an orange heat and a pink breeze as lavender blended somewhere in the middle.  As the light invaded the large windows of his living room, Yong Hwa felt the faint heat of the morning kiss his skin.  He sighed a light breath as he watched the icy coating on his front lawn melt into glistening dew.  Last night he had paced his living room floor as his heavy footsteps echoed off the empty halls and down the corridor.

 

            “Shall I bring you some tea Sir?” one of the maids offered.  Yong Hwa never pried his eyes from the window and simply shook his head as he placed his hands behind his back.  He stood in a pair of long leathered boots, black trousers and a light cotton white shirt, something out of his usual wear.

 

            “Your horse is ready to be ridden Sir, shall I bring it to the front door or will you be going to the stables?” yet another servant asked.

 

            “I will be residing at home. I have no intention of riding to the fields today.” He replied.

 

            “What shall I tell the workers?” he shyly asked, his dark brown eyes never leaving the carpet floor.

 

            “Inform them to do their share of the day then send them off home that will be all.” He replied.  The servant simply nodded and departed in haste, clearly wanting to be away from his master’s presence.  Little did they know he was no longer the harsh and cruel man he once had been.  When his footsteps faded her relaxed a little his eyes still scoping every visible part of his front lawn.  Quickly his thought’s trailed to the same old task and he stood a little straighter.

 

            What if she changed her mind? It had been nearly a dreaded week and still there was no sign of a letter or her.  He growled as he looked out the window again and fisted his hands. /Patience is the key/,he told himself.

 

            Suddenly the faint trotting of horses was heard and his eyes searched the dirt road for any sign of rising dust nearby.  He watched as the cloud grew bigger and his heart hammered louder each time the black stallion horse drew nearer.  In haste he hurried towards the front door evading a maid walking by with a large basket filled with laundry.  She yelped as he rushed past her and apologized before he made for the door once again.

 

            The young lad hopped off his horse reaching into his satchel to retrieve the letter he had for his master. “A letter for you sir,” he said.

 

            He tried to look calm as his trembling hand gave away his excitement and he reached for it thanking the young boy.  He walked patiently up the step and once he reached the top floor he rushed over to his study quickly cracking the seal that held the letter ‘P’ in the melted red wax.     

 

            Shin Hye had finally set a date to come and Yong Hwa could not help but let a huge grin fill his face.  A week had passed and he thought she would reconsider, but to hear that she was coming after all made his day.  Heading towards his room Yong Hwa placed the letter into his neatly clean drawer. She would be arriving in exactly two days and the idea of having her back made him panic suddenly.

 

             He hadn’t thought of any way to keep Shin Hye overnight, he had been so caught up with having the letter arrive that he had completely forgotten.  He felt his body heavy when the thought of losing her indefinitely.  There had to be a way to prove to her that he did truly loved her.  Confessing had not convinced her at all it had only made her think that he loved her out of pity.  Which was /not/ the case at all, Yong Hwa had fallen in love with Shin Hye because of her inner beauty, besides the fact that she /was/ beautiful.  He thought about her big brown eyes and the way her dimples showed every time she smiled and it made him grin like a complete fool in love.

 

           She had known who he was, but she did not know who he was now.  Shin Hye had changed him completely and had opened his eyes to the error of his ways.  For that he was thankful, it showed that she did care for him and that there was always some good in people no matter what.  Closing his eyes he lay back on his bed and placed his hands over his stomach.

 

            “I’ll prove to you somehow.” He grinned

 

            Reaching into his shirt he pulled from around his beck a thin golden chair containing her wedding band.  He was determined to place this very ring back on her finger, and make sure this time to leave it there forever.  He gulped as he traced the rim of it round and round in his hand and closed his eyes as dreaded memories filled him of their wedding day.

 

 ********

 

            “Do you Yong Hwa Jung, take this young woman to be your lawful wedded wife?” the priest asked.  The sun peered through the elongated tainted window bringing with it a cool breeze to make the heat flee from the small little chapel.  Everyone murmured in faint whispers as Yong Hwa took a deep breath and held it.  He remained silent and stared with a great longing at the wide open window behind the elderly priest holding a small faded black book in his hands.

 

            His father had made the biggest mistake of his life when he came to the decision of an arranged marriage between them and the Park’s.  He would never love this girl and he hoped that in return she wouldn’t either.  The despise and anger did not begin to describe the way he was feeling as he stood there his mouth still muted to the questioned that had been asked.

 

            “Young man?” the priest asked again.

 

            His hands clenched and his chest tightened as his answer slipped through gritted teeth in a sneer. “No.”

 

            Stunned by the harsh reply the priest took one pleading look at Sir Jung, whom stood next to his son.  Patience was something Sir Jung did not have and today was no different than all the other times he lost his temper.  Gently but firmly he reached out to grip his son’s should nudging him backward lightly as he hissed into his ear.

 

            “Yong Hwa, say I do.”

 

            If looks could kill, Yong Hwa was certain he would have dropped dead were he stood as he did his best to match the old man’s glare. /You old fein! How dare you tell me what to do!/  He thought as he clenched his jaw and fisted his hands determined to flee and call all of this off.

 

            “No, this is the greatest injustice of the world!” he snarled under his breath.

 

            Sir Jung flared his nostril and stole a small glance at Shin Hye broken features before turning to look his son in the eye, determined to convince him.

 

            “If you do not do as I say…you get nothing.” his father replied.

 

            Yong Hwa’s hard features changed to anger from fear as he balanced his options.  He would be left with absolutely nothing if he so refused.  A decision formed inside his head and found its way just behind his lips, waiting to be muttered out.  Shoulders squared and chin lifted high he took one look at his mother whom nodded once and then directed her gaze forward.

 

            Turning to face the priest Yong Hwa swallowed hard and mumbled the words “I Do”, he did it for the lands, for the money, but not because he wanted to.  Closing his eyes he wished for this to be over, and tried blocking the priest’s voice as he pronounced them husband and wife.  Everyone clapped and Yong Hwa turned quickly to dart for the door, but upon seeing his father’s eyes he stood right where he was.  Slowly walking down the steps he glanced at Seo Hyun who sat at the back benches.  She smiled weakly at him as he passed her and breaking there look he stared down at the hardwood floor.

 

            She had been with him for nearly six months, and even though he had heard so many bad rumors of her family he still choose to court her.  She was lovely despite of what everyone said and she fulfilled his needs as a man.

 

            Money was what had gotten him married today, not love.

 

            Slowly he came back from the memory and clenched the small golden band in his hands as he sat up and shuttered.  Yes, awful dreaded memories would always be there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter