Six months later....

We Found Love in a Hopeless Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Shin Hye sat at the dining room table looking down at her plate of food; she liked what she saw as she dipped her spoon into her cut open baked potato.  Looking around the table her family crowded around passing along bowls of peas, bread, and corn.  Ever since her divorce her family was able to get back on their feet, with the lands that had been promised to Yong Hwa.  Her father was very disappointed to hear about her falling apart with her husband, but had kept his comments to himself.  The incident with Seo hyun was kept hushed and she saw no need to make them worry over that.  Her wound had healed and all that was left was a long scar just below the right side of her .

 

            In truth her father didn’t like to admit that it was her divorce that had saved them from going poor, and showed his appreciation in other ways rather than saying thank you.

 

            “I think it was all and act of God for you to be married to him, who knows what would have happened if you hadn’t, maybe our family would have gone completely poor.” her mother told her.

 

            They didn’t know that being married to Yong Hwa had been nothing but sorrow and pain for her the entire year of their marriage.  She hadn’t heard any news from them for over the past six months since her departure.   Not wanting to think of her past Shin Hye ate her food and chatted away with her sisters.  Her birthday was coming up and she would be turning twenty years old.  She felt rather happy that she would spend this birthday with her family and not alone.

 

            Her thoughts were interrupted as her sister Eun Hye sat her four month baby boy on her lap and fed him mashed peas.  The baby protested as he spat the green much from his mouth rubbing his small eyes in irritation.  He blabbered and talked gibberish as he smiled, his deep dark eyes resembled that of Eun Hye but his dark brown locks was that of his father Shi yoon.        

 

            “I don’t think he’s rather fond of green peas.” Shin Hye chuckled.

 

            “Nonsense I’ll have none of it, it’s good for him.” Eun Hye protested, determined to make him eat at least a bit.

 

            “How much do you want to bet that he won’t swallow a spoon full?” Na-mi said laughing.

 

            “Looser gets to mop the floor with a brush.” Eun Hye replied putting on her game face.

 

            “Deal!” Na-mi shouted raising her glass to her lips.

 

            “Honey, just give him some mashed potato.” her husband suggested taking baby Jun-su from her.

 

            “I don’t think so, I’m not about to lose a bet to Na-mi.”  She said taking him back onto her lap.

 

            They all laughed as they watched Eun Hye struggled to make him eat the peas, but all he did was push the spoon away.  He started to fuss after she tried over and over again, and began to cry.

 

            “Do you not feel guilt to see your son in such a state?” Shin Hye teased.  She quickly stood and asked for the baby as he fussed about struggling to be free of his mother’s grip.  Immediately standing Shin Hye asked for him and Eun Hye hesitated as Na-mi gave her an evil little smile.  Taking a lung full of air Eun Hye gave up baby Jun-su to Shin Hye and watched Na-mi laugh.  Without a word they both stared at each other, Na-mi simply holding a small smirk on her lips as Eun Hye glared in her direction.

 

            “Alright Na-mi you win, but the truth is I never agreed as to when.” Eun Hye said, deviously smiling.

 

            “Oh, let it go you two, Eun Hye you’re a married woman, don’t be making deals with Na-mi.” Their father chuckled.

 

            The small bronze tub in the washroom was filled to a certain amount of warm water as Shin Hye set the baby in the center.  He giggled and splashed as she did her best to clean every trace of green mush of his tiny little round face.  Shin Hye sighed and watched him at his play, her mind wondering just when her time to give life would come.  With the way her feelings were still spiraling toward Yong Hwa she saw it far from her.  How much longer would it take for her to let go?

 

            Her sister Min-young was to marry in just four months, she had met a wealthy man during a dinner their family had been invited to and they both found themselves attracted to each other the moment they had met.  That was five months ago, it seemed to Shin Hye that everyone was moving on with their lives but her.  She was still stuck with the memory of Yong Hwa and her heart lurched and twisted painfully every time she recalled his face.  She fought so many times to let him go but it seemed impossible to at times.

 

            “Anyone up here?” asked Eun Hye.

 

            “Come on in, were in here.” Shin Hye said calling out to her.

 

            “So this is where you two are hiding.” she chuckled leaning against the door.

 

            “I think he’s about ready.” Shin Hye replied taking the baby into her arms.

 

            Wrapping a towel around him Eun Hye kissed his forehead and held her son close.

 

            “You know, Shi yoon and I are taking Min-young and her Fiancée out this weekend, why don’t you accompany us?” she asked, hanging Jun-su on one hip as he fiddled with her golden brown curls.

 

            “Where will you be taking them?” Shin Hye asked.

 

            “A Carnival.” She stated.

 

            “A carnival?” said Shin Hye, not too sure.

 

            “Why don’t you come, it might help to distract yourself.  You haven’t been out since…well since you got divorced.”

 

            “I shall think about it,” is all she replied.

 

            “Yes, the answer is yes, you do not need to think about anything.” she persisted.

 

            Shin Hye forced a smile and agreed to Eun Hye’s invitation, her sister was right she had not step foot out of her home since she had arrived.  Eun Hye smiled triumphantly at Shin Hye and excused herself to tend to her child.  Shin Hye knelt on the floor thinking about just how stuck she was in the past.  Would it help her get distracted?          

 

            ***********************************************************

 

            The carnival lights illuminated the night with a sensational glow as many visitors invaded every booth possible.  Children giggled, screamed, and ran about chasing each other filled with excitement.  Shin Hye avoided each little toddler that threatened to run into her and smiled as she inhaled the sweet scent of treats in the air.  She knew that eventually the evening would turn out this way; she couldn’t blame them after all.  Min-young was deep in love with her fiancée and Eun Hye and Shi yoon still acted like a couple of young lovers.

 

            Deep down she had to admit that it hurt too much to watch her sisters be in love as she stood with a broken heart.  It was taking a toll on Shin Hye; she did not know just how much more she could take.  She wrapped her long arms around her thin frame and gazed down at the hay covered floor.

 

            “Shin Hye?” a familiar voice called out.  Shin Hye turned a bit surprised and stunned to see Min-Sook waving from afar.  A smile broke her frown as she hurried over to embrace her in a tight welcoming hug.

 

            “Min-sook!” Shin Hye exclaimed.

 

            “How have you been?” she asked.

 

            “I’m getting by.”

 

            Her eyes gazed behind MIn-sook to catch a small glimpse of Min Hyuk shooting a target on a nearby booth.

 

            “I’m happy for you.” Shin Hye gestured towards her partner.

 

            “Thank you, who are you here with? Min-Sook asked looking around.

 

            “My sisters and their partners,” she replied.

 

            Min-Sook wrapped an arm around Shin Hye’s and pulled her a little away from earshot of strangers and finally she had to ask, “How has your injury healed?”

 

            “It did not take long for it to seal the stitching helped, although that area is still fragile.”

 

            She nodded and crossed her arm over her chest as a small glare took hold of her expression. “They let her go,” she muttered.

 

            “Let who go?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter