CHapter 2

What? Again?

I looked back and fourth between the standing him and the one in a coma. I did this for two minutes. After those two minutes I finally asked,

“Sungyeol, are you a ghost?”

I went up to him and tried to grab his arm and I could.

“Can you grab a ghost?” he asked.

“A half ghost.” I told him

Sungyeol then looked at his hands as if he’s never seen them before. Followed by looking at the rest of his body that way.

“I’m a ghost!” he said and jumped up and down excited.

“Sungyeol, this isn’t something to be happy about. You’re in a coma.”

“That’s what makes it cool. I can be a ghost and still wake up. Is this what it was like with Hoya?”

“Yes it was. Sungyeol, focus though. What if you don’t wake up? Some coma patients don’t.”

Sungyeol all the sudden didn’t find it that cool to be a ghost.

“I want to wake up.” He said quietly.

“You will. You have to.”

I gave him a hug and that’s when the tears started for the two of us. I told Sungyeol I had to go and walked out of the room. Everyone came over and comforted me while I cried. I sat with Sunggyu while Hoya took his quick visit. Then Hoya took me home where he took my cookies out of there secret stash.

“Eat them all.” He told me.

“But…”

“No buts. Cookies make everything better.”

He was right. They did help me.

I sat on the couch with Hoya. He had an arm around my shoulders and we were watching TV and getting our mind off of what just happened while I ate my cookies. Soon Hoya had to leave for dinner and I noticed that my mom wasn’t home yet. I went to my room, planning to call her, but got distracted as I saw Sungyeol there looking around my room.

“Being a ghost is weird.” He said.

“Must you be here?” I asked.

“I have no one else. You’re the only one that can see me.”

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair as I thought. I always thought that I saw Hoya as a ghost because he and I were meant to be. Now that Sungyeol is here in ghost form that changes everything.

“Why can I see you? I asked.

Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders.

“You better not ignore me though. I’ll get lonely.”

He seriously was like my little brother.

            “Fine, I won’t. Give me one minute though.”

            I remembered how I was going to call my mom and figured if I wait I’d forget once again. I took out my phone and entered in her number. It rang about five times before she answered.

            “Oh, sweetie, hi.” She told me.

            That was a weird greeting for her. It was also weird how it took five rings. I guess she could have gotten caught up in something.

            “Hey, mom. I was just wondering when you would be home.”

            “Home? I won’t be home until late. Very late. I wouldn’t bother waiting for me to get home.”

            My mom said a quick goodbye then hung up on me. I looked at the phone for a minute in confusion. What was up with her? Something had to be wrong. Something did seem wrong.  

            “It looks like it’s the two of us tonight.” I told Sungyeol.

            He nodded then went into my closet and got the deck of cards I forgot I owned out. How did he know they were there?

            “When you’re a ghost like me you just know these things.” He said seeming to read my mind.

            We played different card games all night long. We kept going until I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore. The time I fell asleep I wasn’t sure about. Just that it was past midnight and I hadn’t heard my mom come home. Why would she work this long and till such a late hour? This seemed like an odd thing. I’d have to figure this all out when I wake up in the morning.