Carol

Drabbles #2

"I don't sing well, Umma, why do I have to go caroling?" Jongup asked, pouting and flopping on the couch.

"Because your brothers did it with your father every year and they want you to join." Chohee, Jongup's mother, tried explaining.

"He's not my father, he's their father." Jongup yelled, but was silenced when the said man came in the room.

"You like to dance right, Jongup-ah?" Dongmin, Jongup's step-father, asked cautiously, smiling when he nodded. "You come dance while we sing! You'll be the Carol-dancer?" He suggested.

Jongup sighed, but agreed, only because it got him out of the house, and got people noticing his talent. He pulled on a bundle of clothes, following them out of the house to go Christmas Caroling. The first couple of houses, the people seemed uninterested, making Jongup frown. Some even slammed the door in their faces. But when they got to a certain home, the man seemed generally uninterested and was about to close the door, but Jongup, who was tired of people slamming the door, grabbed the door and bowed quickly to the man.

"We will not disappoint you, sir." Jongup said quickly, the the man just sighed.

"I don't like Christmas music." The man said, a deep, husky voice coming out of his lips.

"T-Then we won't sing Christmas music!" Jongup said, standing up straight, not quite sure what he was thinking, but he nudged one of his older step brothers, Dongyun, who started shuffling through his IPod for another song to sing. "Caroling is about making people smile, and making their day, not about torturing them with Christmas tunes. So we'll happily perform something else." Jongup explained, looking everywhere but the man's eyes, his nervousness taking over him. The man's stare was serious, unmoving.

"I prefer music with no words. Traditional music." The man groaned, and was about to close the door until a traditional drum beat came out of Dongyun's Pod. Immediately, Jongup started moving, dancing to the heavy, fast beat. Dongmin and the two older boys soon moved out of the way when Jongup's legs started moving in circles, breakdancing to the music. Dongmin put his caroling book beneath his arm and started matching the beat with his hands, encouraging the boys to do so as well. They matched the beat with various sounds as Jongup danced with skill. After the song, Jongup landed a mastery finish move, and Dongmin and his boys sung a quick, "Happy Holidays!"

There was silence, until the man smiled, bringing his hands up and clapping them together. Jongup stood up straight, dusting the snow off his attire. He looked up, blushing with the man's stare, right at him. "Come dance for me again sometime, kid, okay?" The man chuckled, reaching forward and brushing a bit of snow off Jongup's cheek.

"O-Okay." Jongup whispered, the touch heating his freezing cheek.

"Don't forget my address." The man ordered, shutting the door gently.

"I think we made his day, don't you think!" Dongyun cheered, and the quarter moved to the next house.

 

It took about two days for Chohee to grant Jongup permission to leave, waiting until the snowy storms calmed down. It was Christmas Eve, and Jongup simply danced down the street, stopping at the red-roofed house, number 419. He knocked on the door, meeting the man's deep eyes. The man opened the door with a smile, and Jongup took the time to take in his appearance. He had pale skin, jet black hair styled off his head, beautiful features--including his perfect, bow-shaped lips. Jongup found him perfect, the epitome of gorgeous.

"I didn't think you'd really be back." The man chuckled, tugging on the sleeve of his red sweater.

"Y-You asked me to come back, so of course I would come back." Jongup mumbled, looking down at the snow-covered ground. He was shy by nature, and this man's staring only made it worse. The man laughed softly, gently tugging on Jongup's sleeve, pulling him inside. He shut the door, complaining about the cold weather. Jongup just awkwardly stood by the door, blushing when the man motioned to his jacket. "I have on the heat, you can take that off." He mumbled, and Jongup complied, hanging it on the rack. He kept his hat on his head, and just shifted his sleeves. "I'm Himchan, by the way." The man introduced himself.

Jongup repeated it in his head again and again. He'd forget if he didn't. Himchan, Himchan, Himchan.

"Aren't you going to tell me your name?" Himchan asked, and Jongup just jumped, bowing quickly.

"J-Jongup." He muttered, standing back up straight.

"Would you like some hot chocolate, Jongup-ssi?" Himchan asked, and Jongup nodded, slowly walking over and sitting on the couch. Himchan disappeared into a kitchen, then returned with two mugs. He sat down next to Jongup after hanging him a cup. Himchan sighed, turning on the television and relaxing. Jongup awkwardly sat still, sipping the hot liquid. Himchan glanced over at him, smiling. "I guess I should tell you the real reason I wanted you to come back." He whispered, and Jongup looked over, eyebrows furrowing in confusion. Himchan just sighed, looking over at him. "I was really impressed by your dancing..." He began, smiling. "...so impressed that I want you to dance for me all the time."

Jongup's eyes shot open and he just blinked, not quite understanding.

"What I guess I'm trying to say...." Himchan stopped, puffing out air. "...I'm afraid...of leaving my house." He whispered, and Jongup just kept his eyes on Himchan, not believing such a beautiful man would have a problem leaving his house. "And obviously I don't like people..." He continued, smiling. "...but I instantly liked you, Jongup-ssi, and it's something I've never experienced before and I really like it." He laughed softly, turning to him. "So what I'm saying is, I'd really appreciate it if you came to visit, as much as you can."

Jongup nodded, smiling. "O-Okay. I will." He whispered.

 

A year later.

 

"JONGUP-AH! NO!" Himchan screamed, gripping onto the teen's biceps. The teen, who came to visit him every weekend, who grew so close to the elder that he wasn't even shy around him anymore. He gently pulled towards the door, not missing how the elder's nails dug in his arms.

"I told you I'd get you outside, hyung. One day or another." Jongup said with a giggle, pulling a little harder and reaching back to open the door.

"Jongup-ah, don't." Himchan bit his lip, using his strength to pull the younger closer. "I don't want to go outside."

"I told you, I'm not being your boyfriend until you come outside!" Jongup said with a smile. "I'll just pull you out and pull you back in okay? There's no people, nothing to fear, okay?"

Himchan nodded, clutching tightly to Jongup's arms and closing his eyes. He tensed the more steps they took, and hissed at the freezing winter air, trying futiely to go back inside. He felt the teens arms come around him and pull him close.

"Open your eyes, hyung." He whispered, and the elder complied, opening them and freezing, realizing he was outside. Standing on the sidewalk near the road. He suddenly felt terrified, as if the ground would cave in our he'd fall into the endless sky. If it wasn't for Jongup's arms around him, he was sure he'd be gone. He held tightly to the younger, whimpering that he wanted to go back inside. "You're okay." Jongup whispered, nuzzling his face in the elder's neck. "Nothing's going to hurt you. You're fine. Just like you were inside. I won't let anyone hurt you."

Himchan calmed his breathing, realizing he was truly okay. The only thing bothering him was the cold temperatures. He relaxed, but yelped when Jongup lifted him bridal style. He immediately slung his arms around Jongup's neck, holding on for dear life. "W-What are you doing?" Himchan asked.

"Protecting you from the world." Jongup said calmly, walking back in the house. He shut the door with a swift flick of his ankle, setting Himchan on his own floor.

"I love you." Himchan blurted out, biting his lip.

Jongup looked up quickly, almost too shocked to respond. But when he looked into those deep eyes, he just smiled, pulling the elder into a hug. "I love you, too, scaredy-cat."

"Shut up." Himchan slapped the teen's shoulder playfully, resting his head on the younger's.

THE END.