Bell

Drabbles #2

The bell rang loudly, striking the hour of midnight. The bell rang in his head, in his ears, in his body. It was midnight, and he wasn't indoors. Curfew struck, and he wasn't obeying it. If the King's men found him on the streets, he'd be taken to the castle for punishment.

He cursed softly to himself, prowling around in the darkness, trying to get home. He saw a patch of guards, and fell to the ground, crawling in the darkest patch of brush. He held his scream when he saw a spider crawl in front of his face, and just hoped he'd be hidden enough for them to pass him over.

But he was never that lucky.

"Come with me." The guard boomed, lifting him out of the brush and on the street. Junhong reluctantly followed the guards, trying to see if there was a way he could slip away and run home. But he never found an opening.

He was slung in the throne room, the king's chair looming over him like a shadow. "Why are you outside?" The King asked, a deep voice ringing the room, like the bell that struck midnight.

"I-I was looking for something to eat, sir." Junhong truthfully told, not having the money to buy something, so he was hunting for something to cook up.

The King sighed, "Do you understand why there is a curfew?"

Junhong stayed silent, looking up at the tan King with furrowed brows. He never truly though of why, just that there was. The King stood, lifting him by the arm and dragging him to a mural on the wall. He pointed to the black creature illustrated in the mural, fighting off a set of guards.

"These are the creatures that lurk at night. They come out at midnight, seeking to feed on the flesh of humans. Guards can see them with their equipment and can defend themselves, but citizens like you cannot. So we bring you here to protect you." The King explained, and Junhong just sat wide-eyed. "Do you understand?" Junhong nodded quickly, not sure if he believed this tale, but he knew he just wanted to go home. "What's your name?"

"Junhong." He stated softly to the King.

"Junhong-ssi, never stay out past the bell, okay? I don't want you to get hurt. You'll stay in the caste until morning, for your own sake." The King patted his head.

As soon as the King returned to his chair, and the guards were nowhere to be found, Junhong bolted out the door. All he knew was that his parents got sent to the castle, and they never came back. He could care less about some night-lurking creatures.

He dashed down the street, past the guards, and closer and closer to his home. He'd almost made it, when he was face to face with a giant, black creature. It had large black wings, piercing icy blue eyes, and the closer it got, the more human it looked. When Junhong was face to face with the creature, he realized it had pale skin, dark hair, pink, bow-shaped lips, yet still had the wings.

"Junhong." It whispered, a husky voice coming from its throat.

Junhong just gulped, looking to see the guards nowhere to be found. "How do you know my name?" He whispered.

"I'm your Guardian, Junhonggie." It whispered. "Of course I know you."

"Guardian? What's that mean?" Junhong asked, the fear slowly subsiding.

"I'm here to protect you, from the light." It whispered, grabbing Junhong's hand and leading him in his home.

"Isn't light a good thing?" Junhong asked.

"No, the King controls light." It boomed, sitting Junhong on the couch. "The King is not Yongguk the 20th." It growled. "It is the same Yongguk from all these years, feasting on souls to stay alive and young."

"The King said the dark creatures feast on souls." Junhong mumbled, only to have the creature lean down in his face.

"He wants you to fear the outside, so you'll stay inside, where he can get you. You have lights in your house, and he can appear wherever there is light." The creature explained. "Listen to me, Junhong-ah. I'll protect you."

"O-Okay." Junhong nodded, feeling more comfortable with this creature every second.

"You can call me Himchan, okay?" The creature whispered, and Junhong nodded.

 

The bell struck for morning, and Junhong woke. He sat up, gasping when the creature he fell asleep next to was gone. He sighed, rolling over and looking out the window, only to jump when he saw the King looking inside.

THE END OF THE DRABBLE BUT DO NOT FRET A LONG STORY WILL COME.