Lightning

Drabbles #2

There can never be a beautiful strike of lightning without thunder. Lightning flashes brightly, striking the ground with expertise and strength. It's beautiful, naturally lighting the sky gorgeously. People like to look at it, unaware that it's dangerous.

Thunder, however, is something people fear. It's loud, roaring in your ears. It lets you know how close lightning is to you, telling you when the storm is coming. The bringer of bad news. Thunder gets overlooked, people more concerned with lightning, even going as far as to mistake thunder as simply part of lightning.

However, it was lightning that was dangerous.

One strike can permanently damage you, or even end your life.

Thunder? All it can do is scare you.

Himchan was lightning, bold, bright, stepping on everyone who came in his path. He was most definitely dangerous, a force to be reckoned with. A diva, a phenomenon.

Jongup? Jongup was simply thunder, the scene for lightning's power, the one thing that let everyone know that Kim Himchan was in the building.

Because Himchan never let Jongup out of his sight.

The boy had been assigned to him by his work as a model. They had to take in a 'younger' from the local foster home, because of the charitable image the agency wanted to portray in order to get more business. But Himchan had done more than just simply ignore him most of the day and complain like the other models.

He liked the kid.

He took him everywhere.

Jongup didn't mind, actually enjoyed being care about once in his life. He did everything the elder asked, running to get him a water or an outfit to put on for the next shoot.

Because he liked Himchan.

Himchan walked in the agency lobby, all the models having been called down for a meeting. His arm was stretched back to hold onto Jongup's hand, who was following right on the elder's heels, eyes pointed at the boots Himchan was wearing. "You okay?" Himchan asked softly, turning his head to check on him. Jongup just mumbled that he was, looking up to meet the elder's soft gaze. They shared a small smile, always comforted by each other's presence.

"Thank you for your hard work with your youngers..." The manager of the agency said calmly. "...it is time to let them go."

Himchan's heart stopped, his grip tightening on Jongup's hand, his eyes widening. He was not letting that happen.

Because one could not exist without the other.

There would be no storm if thunder and lightning weren't there at the same time.

"Do we have to?" Himchan asked softly.

The manager smiled, not oblivious to how close the two had gotten in just the short months that Jongup was here. "You'll have to fill out a bunch of papers." The manager explained.

"Okay." Himchan nodded, not caring what he had to do to keep this angelic boy in his arms.

"It's okay, hyung, it'll be a hassle taking care of me all the time anyway." Jongup mumbled, always hating the idea of putting a burden on someone, or making things complicated.

Himchan just sighed, pulling the boy into an embrace. "You're mine." He whispered. "And I do not let go of things that belong to me."

Jongup smiled slightly, nuzzling his face in the elder's chest. The thought of someone fighting to keep him instead of eagerly throwing him away was something he'd never had before. It felt good. He felt wanted, for the first time in his life.

The representative from the foster home just smiled, walking over to Himchan. "You don't have to fill out anything, Jongup you just need to sign this consent form." She explained. "I'm glad someone will keep you."

Jongup quickly squirmed out of the elder's grip to turn and sign the paper, only to be pulled in Himchan's arms again when he was finished. But he didn't mind. He liked being held. He liked having someone to follow and listen to.

He just liked being there for someone, being something they didn't want to live without.

They made their way back to the agency dorms, shutting the door behind them. Himchan crawled back on the bed, having woken up much earlier than he intended to on the models' day off. He just patted the bed for Jongup to lay down, and the boy did after kicking off his shoes. Himchan pulled him close, pulling the blanket over them and mumbling for him to get some more sleep. Jongup smiled, fingers playing with Himchan's shirt.

"You know, hyung..." He whispered, and the elder hummed. "...you're kind of like lightning."

"Lightning?" Himchan chuckled. "How so?"

"You're the beautiful part of a storm, lightning up the whole sky." The younger mumbled shyly. "You're bold, strong, something no one can seem to understand."

"You understand me." Himchan muttered.

"That's because I'm thunder." Jongup whispered. "Something that cannot exist without lightning."

Himchan just smiled, kissing Jongup's forehead. "I love you." He whispered.

Jongup's eyes widened, his heart beating rapidly.

No one in all of his seventeen years of life had told him those three words. No one had loved him before.

"I-I love you, too." Jongup whispered, smiling so wide he thought his cheeks would burst.

THE END.