Snow

Drabbles #2

He has always loved the snow. It calmed him, he said. He thought it was a beautiful part of nature, despite how bitterly cold it was. I was standing in the doorway, door shut tightly, keeping the warmth on the inside. I was looking outside, watching him sit on the porch all bundled up in the winter gear I forced him to wear.

I wasn't having him get any more sick after all.

He just looked up at the sky, just watching it come down. It made me feel sad that we both knew he wasn't well enough to play in the snow.

And he never would be.

Once I saw him sneeze, I rushed out, lifting him and pulling him back inside. He tried arguing that something just itched his nose is all, but I wasn't taking any risks. The doctors said if he got anything, even a slight cold, then his condition would only be worse.

I unwrapped him from the bundles, setting him on the couch and wrapping him in some blankets. He held out his arms to me, and I just smiled, walking over and pulling him in my lap. He pressed his face in my shoulder, and I could feel the goosebumps on his skin.

At least he could still use his arms.

The illness had taken his legs away. He could move them, feel them. They were just so weak that the bones might snap if he stood on them. It was chronic, and unstoppable they said.

All his bones will become that weak.

Then he wouldn't be able to hug me tightly anymore like he was now, wouldn't be able to do anything but lie down and feel sorry for himself.

I was dreading the day.

But I'd stay right here with him. He often told me to just leave him, go find someone else who could make me happy, but I refused.

Because he made me happy.

I loved him.

And it was impossible not to notice how much he loved me.

"Hyung..." He muttered, and I hummed, running my fingers through his hair. "...you never told me why you hated the snow." He whispered.

I just chuckled, rubbing his back. "It's freezing and wet and cold." I mumbled. "I like warmth."

"Every single snowflake is unique. I bet there's more snowflakes than people even." He said softly, smiling. "And they're so beautiful. Covering the ground in a beautiful blanket, giving kids something enjoyable about the bitter air."

I sighed, feeling my heart break when I realized he couldn't play in the snow anymore. Two winters ago, he'd drag me outside, and we'd build a snowman, give it a hat and a carrot nose and call it our child. We'd both act sad when it melted, putting on a fake funeral for the snowman. We'd be in partners for the snowball wars against Junhong and Yongguk, winning every time.

But with his condition, that was impossible.

But I'd never leave him, no matter if he couldn't move anything. I'd just carry him everywhere.

Because he made me happier than the snow made the kids happy when they were out of school, happier than the sun made the flowers when they needed to grow.

He made me complete, made me feel unique, like every single snowflake that hit the ground.

THE END.