Hideaway

Drabbles #2

"Everyone inside! Avoid the gas!"

I followed behind the crowd, covering my face from the toxic fumes. I coughed, tasting the disgusting mist. I couldn't believe someone would empty this gas in our small town. The town only had this tiny hideaway, too small for everyone to fit comfortably. I swerved around all the ones coughing, not wanting to get sick. I fell, pushed by a man running in this small space. I landed on the ground, seeing a small teen beside me. He was in the corner, wrapped in a rather large comforter.

"Are you okay, kid?" I asked, seeing his eyes filled with water and sorrow.

He didn't say anything, just pulled the blanket tighter around himself. "Are you?" He asked softly, almost too quiet for me to hear.

"I've been better, but I know the toxin's not in me." I mumbled, shivering in the freezing temperatures. It was the middle of winter, and we were in a concrete, heat-less hole under the ground. I jumped when he spread his blanket over my shoulders. He pulled it around the two of us, his hips pressing in mine so we would fit. I helped, reaching my arm out to firmly wrap him up. "Thank you." I whispered, sniffling from the cold I was catching.

"This way, we'll both be warmer." He whispered.

"Where's your family?" I asked, seeing the water in his eyes only get worse.

"They left me in the house..." He whispered. "...when the gas came in, they ran out and left me. I was sleeping and didn't wake until the first responders were carrying me here, still wrapped in my blanket. I was already sick, so I'm sure my parents just figured it'd be better if I died."

"Sick doesn't mean you need to die." I whispered, sliding my arm around him. I rested it on his side, rubbing it lightly.

"S-Sir..." He whispered. "...I have cancer."

I swallowed thickly, not sure how to respond. "People get through cancer. Through therapy and treatment." I whispered. "You'll get through it."

"My parents couldn't afford treatment." He mumbled. "And it's acute leukemia."

"I-I don't know what that is." I whispered.

"It's got something to do with my bone marrow...I don't remember what the doctors said." He mumbled, turning to face me. "But they said I only have a couple months unless I get treatment."

"How long's it been?" I asked. "Since diagnosis?"

"A month." He whispered.

"When this gas clears, I'll get you treatment." I whispered, pulling him into my lap,hearing his teeth chattering. I wrapped the blanket tighter around us, rubbing his back to keep him warm. "I promise."

"T-Thank you, sir." He whispered.

"Bang Yongguk." I introduced myself, smiling when he nuzzled against me, smiling slightly.

"Moon Jongup." He mumbled.

 

I awoke, seeing Jongup curled up against me, fast asleep. I looked around, seeing everyone in this hideaway sleeping as well, except for a few awake like me. There were men in protective suits walking around and through the people, picking up some. "Where are you taking them?" I asked softly.

"To the emergency hospital, to treat their toxin infection." One man replied.

"Can we go? He has acute leukemia and he'll die without treatment." I begged, and the man nodded.

"Of course." He waved and I stood, holding Jongup tightly in my arms. The man threw a helmet on my head, strapping and sealing it up. He did the same to the sleeping Jongup, and we followed him and the other people out. I could see the gas still everywhere, and was glad for this helmet. We got to the hospital, and I told them of his cancer. They took him out of my arms, rushing into a room. I waited in the waiting room, removing my helmet.

"Go ahead and make yourself comfortable in a room, sir.. Treatment will take two months." A nurse smiled at me, ushering me to a room. She sent me to one of the extra rooms, and I just sighed, lying down and falling back asleep.

 

They wouldn't let me see him, said it was better if only his kin came to see him. I tried explaining that they left him, but they said it was law that his kin were it during cancer treatment. The gas had cleared by the first month, so I made my way home, heading back to work. It wasn't until the second month that I got a phone call from the hospital.

"He's made it through treatment, without any more signs of the cancer."

I smiled, breathing out a sigh of relief. I was so glad that kid was better. "How much do I owe you? Since he doesn't have insurance?"

My eyes widened at the extreme expenses, but I knew I could afford it. I gathered my savings, the money given by my mother's will, and the money in the bank and went to the hospital. I went to the doctor, handing him the money. I sighed, knowing I'd be working an extra shift from now on.

"We can take half and bill his parents the other half." The doctor suggested.

"His parents can't afford anything." I whispered. "That's why they left him, to leave him to die by the gas so they wouldn't have to worry about treatment."

The doctor sighed heavily. "Give me half, sir. I'll find the other half elsewhere. I can't let you pay all of this."

"T-Thanks, sir." I bowed, handing him the money. I walked in the room, seeing Jongup asleep on the bed. I smiled, seeing he looked a lot better than how he was when I saw him. I lifted him up, careful not to wake him. I ventured to my car, laying him in the backseat and carefully driving to my house. I took him inside, laying him on my bed and covering him up.

"Welcome to your new home, Jongup." I whispered, kissing his forehead.

THE END.