Kept

Drabbles #2

I had to forget, had to get rid of this past life. I was moving on, moving forward. There was nothing in this house I needed to keep.

Except for this.

No matter how long I stood holding it over the trash can, or over to fireplace, I wouldn't drop it. My fist remained tightly clasped around the metal, clutching it, cutting into my skin.

I was not letting this go. I was not letting you go.

This metal frame, this tiny frame, smaller than the palm of my hand, with your face inside.

You're smiling, that beautiful smile that never failed to brighten my day.

"They're gonna get you, Himchannie. You can't be Kim Himchan anymore. You've got to leave everything behind if you want to be free." Yongguk told me.

Why was it so hard to leave you behind?

I sighed, clutching the picture to my chest.

It was pointless. You were stuck here, in my heart.

And there was no way I was getting you out.

"What's up, hyung?" You would say every single time I called. I would smile, tell you that I just wanted to talk to you. You would giggle, and ask me why I liked hearing you voice. But it was obvious wasn't it? Your voice was beautiful, sliding gracefully past your innocent lips. You'd ask me that question that you always knew the answer to, "What do you want to talk about?"

I'd answer with the same thing every time, "Anything as long as I'm talking to you."

I grabbed my suitcase, turned off the lights, and left, making my way to the airport. Your voice kept playing in my head, "Where are you going, hyung?" I can just imagine you asking me. I'd just sigh, tell you I was going somewhere that you couldn't follow me. You would frown, asking me why, that you'd follow me anywhere. I'd just kiss your head, and tell you not to worry about me.

But you would, you always would.

I thought about calling you, but I knew you were asleep at this time. And I knew if I called, you'd wake up, ask me that same question.

But you needed to sleep.

I handed them my plane ticket and got on, sitting by the window. I jumped, looking down at my new phone. I hadn't told anyone the number, hadn't given it to anyone, so who would be calling it?

It was you.

I guess I should've guessed you'd always know how to reach me.

"H-Hyung?" You whispered.

"What is it, jagi?" I asked, not knowing how to tell you that I couldn't talk to you anymore.

I didn't care if they found me.

I couldn't throw you away.

"Why'd you buy a new phone?" You muttered shakily. "Do you know how scared I was when you didn't pick up your old one?"

Please, don't be crying.

"J-Jonguppie..." I whispered, but then I heard the sob. I heard your voice crack and I broke, jumping out of the seat. I pushed past the receptionist and out the door. I had my car started in a matter of seconds, going way over the speed limit. I turned sharply into your driveway, pressing the call button furiously. "Jonguppie let me in." I whispered, and the apartment doors opened. I darted inside, up the stairs, knowing the elevator would take too long, and into your room.

You leaped from your bed, throwing your arms around me.

"Take me with you, hyung. Wherever you go." You mumbled.

"Okay." I sighed, giving in like always. "Okay."

THE END.