Fireplace

Drabbles #2

It was freezing outside, the blizzard covering everything in a thick, icy blanket. I rushed inside, immediately moving to set up the fireplace. I jumped, seeing it already burning, a ball of blankets in front of it. I walked over, smiling at the small boy. He was the local delivery boy, delivering the paper and various packages to the city. In storms like this, he'd taken it upon himself to refuse to cancel delivery, making sure he put the delivery product in your hand, so it wouldn't get covered up by the snow. He was adorable, especially in the cold, when his nose would glow a deep red, cheeks flushed, eyes slightly watered. He would always be bundled in scarves and coats, and every time he delivered me a package from my work, which was at least once a week, I'd invite him inside for a cup of hot chocolate. He'd always refuse, but I told him whenever he needed to warm up, he was welcome.

I see he'd taken up on the offer.

I never locked the doors, as everyone in the neighborhood knew who I was, and knew if they needed anything they could ask. No one would dare steal from me when they knew I'd probably give it to them anyway. I leaned down, seeing his eyes closed, nose and cheeks a light pink, brown hair hanging in his face. I could tell my the slow rise of his chest that he was sleeping. I sat down next to him, putting my hands up to the fire.

I frowned, realizing I never got his name. He knew mine, obviously, from seeing my name on the packages, but I never got his. I saw his puppy hat, with long strings hanging down from it, and I just smiled. "Hey, pup." I mumbled, picking the hat up off the floor and dusting it off. He didn't respond, still fast asleep. I just placed the hat back down, reaching over to tuck the blankets around his body. I stood and grabbed a pillow off the couch, lifting his head and setting it on the fluffy surface.

His eyes fluttered open and he made a small hum, lifting his head and looking at me, eyes blinking slowly, staying closed longer than open. "Ah, I'm sorry, Bang-ssi." He muttered.

"Don't apologize, I told you my house was always open to you didn't I?" I smiled, reaching to wipe the dry drool off his cheek. He murmured nothing but sound, looking down at his watch sleepily. He suddenly shrieked, hurriedly getting up and pulling on his coat. "You okay?" I asked.

"I'm late for a deliver!" He said panickingly, pulling on his shoes.

"I'll drive you." I volunteered, but he was out the door before I could stop him. I just chuckled, looking down and seeing his hat lying on the ground. I lifted it up, running outside only to find him so far down the street it was pointless to call for him. I sighed, getting back inside. I just waited about twenty minutes for him to deliver the package, then called the deliver number.

"Fast deliver service, how may I help you?" The person asked.

"Umm, the local delivery boy, wears a puppy hat?" I asked, and they responded with a name.

"Moon Jongup?" They asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure. He left his hat when he delivered something to me, so can you tell him to come to Bang Yongguk's home?" I asked, and they told me they would. I hung up, going in the kitchen and making some hot chocolate. It wasn't long before he heard a knock at the door. He got up, opening it and smiling at Jongup. He moved for the boy to come in and he shut the door behind him.

Jongup picked up his hat off the table, slipping it on his head. "T-Thanks." Jongup whispered, smiling at the elder.

"For?" Yongguk asked, holding out another cup of hot cocoa.

Jongup took it eagerly, thanking him again. "But I really appreciate you letting me warm up in your home. I was so cold and I didn't have a deliver for a bit so I sat by the fireplace and then fell asleep because I was so warm." He explained, his cheeks still pink from the outside air.

"No problem, stay anytime." Yongguk said sincerely, watching as the younger walked over, sitting by the fireplace.

"It's so warm here!" Jongup exclaimed, sipping on the hot drink.

"The heat is broken because of that storm, so it's just a fireplace." Yongguk muttered, sitting next to him.

"I don't have anything like this at home." Jongup said softly. "So I'm really thankful to be warm here."

Yongguk really didn't know what got into him when he blurted out his words, "You can stay here until the weather gets warmer."

Jongup's cheeks flushed a light pink, and he just looked up at the elder. "You mean it?" He whispered softly, the opposite reaction Yongguk was expecting. He was expecting the kid he hardly knew to run out, call him a creep. But Jongup looked genuinely hopeful, his eyes pleading for Yongguk to say yes.

"Yeah." Yongguk said with a slight smile. "Yeah, I've got plenty of space and plenty of blankets. I don't want you to get sick."

Jongup dropped the mug, lucky that it was empty. He practically tackled Yongguk to the floor, holding him tightly. Yongguk just chuckled, setting his mug down peacefully. He patted the younger's back, waiting until the long strands of "thank you so much", "I appreciate it", and "how can I ever repay you" stopped flowing out of Jongup's mouth.

"It's fine, really. You work so hard delivering to people in this blizzard." Yongguk mumbled, comfortable with the kid's embrace. Jongup sat up, helping the elder do the same. He just smiled, sniffling from the cold he was catching.

"I won't be a burden, I promise!" Jongup said quickly, bowing all the way to the floor, flattening his palms and placing his head on the floor.

Yongguk just sighed, patting the delivery boy's head. "Come on, let's get you some more cocoa." He chuckled, picking the mug off the floor and pulling the younger into the kitchen.

THE END