East

Drabbles #2

In the east, the sun rises. In the west, it falls. In the east, there is paradise. In the west, poverty. In the east, we have Yoo Youngjae, the leader of the academic club, the smartest man in his school. In the west, we have Jung Daehyun, the Busan one, the one failing all his classes, always on the other side of the school. They never crossed paths until now.

But in this moment, when the two found themselves both in the middle of the hall, both stood still, silent, in awe. Everyone knew the stories of the east and west sides of the school, everyone knew no prestigious student from the east would dare step to the west, and no uneducated student would step to the east.

But they were in the center.

No stereotype judged them.

Nothing would stop them from seeing each other.

Nothing could stop them here.

"Y-Youngjae-yah." Daehyun was the first to speak, muttering the name of his lifelong best friend.

"Daehyun-hyung." Youngjae mumbled, pushing his glasses on his face.

"W-Want to hang out after school today?" Daehyun asked softly.

"Sure." Youngjae said plainly. "The back parking lot?"

Daehyun nodded, and the two parted ways, going back into their zone, where stereotypes controlled them, where their academic strength defined who they were.

 

The back parking lot was empty, like it was every day. The two sat on the curb, sharing a soda from the vending machine. "I don't want to be east and west anymore, Jae-yah." Daehyun mumbled. "We're friends on opposite sides. We don't treat each other differently."

"That's because we were friends before this school, Daehyunnie." Youngjae explained. "When we leave the school, we're just Daehyun and Youngjae."

"And we're together out here, aren't we?" Daehyun smiled with his words.

"We are." Youngjae chuckled. "And we always will be."

THE END.