Breath

Drabbles #2

Every breath came short, every touch filled with frost, every sound cracked with the harsh shiver that racked his spine.

Yet, he took off his jacket and put it around me.

Every one of his fingers was turning purple.

Yet, he took off his gloves and gave them to me.

I had no home, no shelter, no warmth.

And I had no idea who this man was, but he came in me in this blizzard. I'd done nothing to help him, nothing for him.

Yet, he sat behind me in the snow, gave me his hat and scarf, and held me to his chest.

He whispered to me, "You're not gonna die of hypothermia out here, okay?" It was then he lifted me, holding me close to him and shielding me from the hazardous, snow-filled wind.

My lips had long froze together, so I couldn't thank him.

But I wanted to. I felt I had to.

But the temperature was only dropping, every tear falling from my eyes getting stuck in my eyelashes. I just leaned my head in his shoulder, hoping he was warmer than I was. At least he was healthy. My eyes closed, but I couldn't get them back open, so I just relaxed, falling asleep on his shoulder.

 

I awoke, groaning, but smiling at the feeling of the heat around me. I slowly fluttered my eyes open, closing them when I felt a tear. "Be slow, be slow." I heard a whisper, the same deep voice that comforted me in the blizzard. I finally fluttered my eyes open, looking up to see a tan man, with blonde hair gently falling in his eyes. He smiled, but I noticed he had severely chapped lips and dry skin.

"T-Thank you." I whispered, my lips stinging every time I moved them. He shushed me, dragging his tongue across my lips. He drug a cold ointment along them, and I just sighed. I curled up on the soft mattress.

"I'm Bang Yongguk, okay?" He whispered, and I just nodded.

"J-Jung Daehyun." I muttered, soon coughing from the cold I knew I had.

He just smiled, running his fingers through my thick brown hair. "You'll be okay, Daehyun-ssi. You'll be okay."

I nodded, smiling. "Thanks to you." I whispered, sniffling.

"Don't worry about it, okay?" He mumbled.

I just nodded, curling up in the blankets and falling back to sleep, comfortable in the warmth.

THE END