10

Just When I Thought I Was Over You
 

X

 

 

“Did it work out? Did it work out?” Chanyeol kept on poking Baekhyun as Baekhyun was leaning on the door listening to Kai and Seyoon’s conversation.

“I don’t know. How would I know? Stop bothering me. Shhsh!” Again, Baekhyun attached his ear on the door panel hoping he would hear something. Suddenly the door opened. The two went back to what they usually do to avoid suspicion.

When they looked at Kai, he was staring blankly on the floor. “Woo, that was weird,” he said.

“What weird?” asked Baekhyun.

“She just…smiled.”

“What?!? Smiled at you? She? Seyoon?” asked Chanyeol importunately while smiling at Kai. Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a ‘don’t-be-too-obvious’ look. “I mean, that’s really weird.”

“Don’t you think she just want to take the initiative to make your relationship better?” said Baekhyun.

“You think?” Kai asked. Baekhyun nodded at him.

“See? It will work out if the two of you just gave yourselves a peaceful aura,” said Baekhyun.

“Start treating her nicely, okay?” said Chanyeol.

---

Seyoon started cooking when Kyungsoo and Sehun went out of her room. The two sat on the stools facing the counter as they watched Seyoon cook.

“So how did it went?” asked Kyungsoo.

“What?” asked Seyoon as she continued to prepare the food.

“Our advice to you…”

“Uhm, it’s effective. But it still feels weird.”

“Come on, if you keep doing that, things might work between the two of you,” said Kyungsoo.

Seyoon let out a deep sigh.

“You still have a long way to go,” said Sehun.

---

“Is the food ready?” Chanyeol said as the three of them went out of the room, Baekhyun pushing Kai.

“It’s ready. Let’s eat!” said Kyungsoo.

The air became silent as they started eating. The two, Kai and Seyoon, just keep pushing the food on the plate with their chopsticks. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun, and Kyungsoo just looked at each other.

“How about we play a game?!” said Chanyeol. Kai and Seyoon were startled by his voice.

“What do you mean?” asked Kai.

“Well, there are six of us here and someone has to wash the dishes. So let’s play a game to find out who would do it,” said Chanyeol.

“How about we form a pair and decide what game will we play?” suggested Kyungsoo.

“That’s a good idea. Okay Kyungsoo and Sehun, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and Seyoon and Kai,” said Baekhyun smiling at them.

“What?!?” the two shouted.

“Who are you to decide the pairing?” asked Kai.

“It’s your home so naturally the two of you should pair up. Come on, let’s get going.”

“Never mind. I’ll just wash the dishes on my own,” said Seyoon.

“No, no, no,” said Sehun as he stopped Seyoon from grabbing the plates.

‘Even Sehun was into this,’ Seyoon thought to herself.

“Okay, I have a paper here. You all write what games you wanted to play and we’ll draw which one we’re going to play,” said Baekhyun.

They all write names of games they could think of. Kai put charades in his paper while Seyoon put ice cream eating contest. The rest put their game of choice in a cup.

“Okay, I will draw the game,” said Kyungsoo. “The game was suggested by Baekhyun, it is called ‘Best friends forever!’”

“What kind of game is that?” asked Kai as he lifted his eyebrow at Baekhyun.

“According to his instruction, the pair would choose who would be player A and B. Then we would take turns in asking questions. And the pair’s answer to that question should be identical. For example, when we asked player A their favorite book, player B’s answer should be identical to player A’s answer,” read Kyungsoo. “Do you understand?”

“Understand!” shouted Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Kyungsoo looked at Kai and Seyoon.

“We understand…” they both answered.

//A/N: *PLAYER A: Sehun, Seyoon, Chanyeol --- PLAYER B: Kyungsoo, Kai, Baekhyun*//

“Okay first question, I would ask the question first,” said Chanyeol. “What is player A’s favorite color?”

Chanyeol gave a you-should-know-it stare at Baekhyun. Kyungsoo just smiled at Sehun. And Seyoon and Kai were avoiding having eye contact.

“Okay, you’re answers please…”

Chanyeol raised his answer ‘black’ and Baekhyun also got the right answer, so is Kyungsoo-Sehun pair. Seyoon raised her answer ‘apple green’. Even though she was not in good terms with Kai in the past years, she was hoping that her former best friend won’t forget her favorite color. Kai raised his answer and it says… ‘apple green’.

“Kai and Seyoon pair, correct!” shouted Chanyeol.

As they continued their game, the two realized how they knew each other well including their favorite food, the things they are allergic to, and so on. From time to time, Kai would see Seyoon laugh or smile at their friends’ craziness especially when Chanyeol would get the wrong answers and Baekhyun would give him a headlock. He didn’t realize that there was a smile forming in his face when he saw her in that mood. And sometimes when they were all laughing, Kai and Seyoon would accidentally have an eye contact but they would quickly turn their gaze somewhere else.

The mood in the house became brighter as their game comes to an end. “Wow, just wow! You two are unbeatable,” said Baekhyun as he congratulated Seyoon and Kai. “It’s your fault, if you just answer at least 9 questions! You just answered the first question correctly! Aish!” Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a headlock.

Seyoon looked at Kai not with an emotionless face but not in smiling face either. But Kai knew that her mood changed in a good way.

“Since the two of you will wash the dishes, we’ll just continue unpacking,” said Kai.

“I’ll help you,” said Kyungsoo. While Sehun continued on helping Seyoon.

---

As soon as the door was closed, the two who were washing the dishes gave a small laugh that only two of them could hear.

“You’re a genius,” said Chanyeol to Baekhyun.

“See I told you. That plan would work.”

“The two didn’t even know that we planned everything from the start, ah my ‘I’m hungry’ acting!”

“Eyy…you’re quite annoying back there. Anyway, you should throw the cup where the games were written. They shouldn’t know that there’s only one game written on all the paper.”

“Sehun and Kyungsoo did a great job too. It is a good thing that Seyoon would listen to their advice. If it is us who would say that, it won’t work,” said Chanyeol.

“You know, even though we are one step ahead on this Kai-Seyoon reconciliation plan, there is one thing I’m mad about,” said Baekhyun.

“What is it?” asked Chanyeol.

“That you weren’t able to memorize the information I gave you! Look at us now, instead of Kai and Seyoon washing the dishes together, we fall into our own plans. Aish!” Baekhyun said as he splashed some water on Chanyeol.

“Yah! Stop that! Besides, you know that they would get all the answers right. Those two knew each other well,” said Chanyeol.

“That was before. Not anymore,” said Baekhyun as his face turned sad.

“Yah! That’s why we come up with this plan, so they would get close to each other again,” said Chanyeol.

Baekhyun let out a deep sigh. “I hope this plan would work till’ the end.”

After a while, the sun started to set. All of them were already finished unpacking. Kai accompanied the four boys to the bus stop. Since Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol would just walk to their dorm, Sehun was the only one who would board the bus. While they were walking, Kai punched Chanyeol’s arm lightly.

“Yah! What is that?!?” asked Chanyeol.

“You know what it means. I knew it. It was your plan right? The game and such. Aish! Do you think I wouldn’t know that?” said Kai. He did the same thing to Sehun, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo.

“Stop that,” said Baekhyun.

Kai suddenly went silent. “Thank you.”

The four boys smiled at Kai and shouted on his ear, “You’re welcome!” before they ran towards their own directions. Kai waved them goodbye. It was a tiring day and a happy one, he thought.

---

When he went home, Seyoon just finished disposing the boxes and was about to enter her room. Kai interrupted her by holding her wrist. Seyoon turned around as Kai let go of her.

“Since we agreed on this, let’s give this relationship a chance. Let’s…go back to our friendship the way it was before, shall we?” Kai asked Seyoon.

Seyoon could see the seriousness in his face. But she doesn’t know the answer to his question. ‘Am I ready for that?’ she asked herself. She just nodded her head lightly, “I will try.”

Kai smiled at her, a sincere smile she hasn’t seen for a long time. She does not know if she’s ready to open up herself again to him. But all she could do was to agree to him. It's their decision anyway. She gave him a slight smile.

This time, they don’t know how the future would be for the both of them. They also knew that they couldn’t avoid each other anymore. But they knew that if they give their relationship a second try, it might work for them, for their future.