I'm Sorry

I'm a Loner

Chapter 4 – I’m Sorry

 

 

“How did this happen?” an unknown student asked in the hallway.

“I don’t know but he must have cheated,” viciously responded his friend.

“Yeah, I mean, that kind of person can’t be that smart there’s no way.”

“Who are you guys talking about?” The two boys turned around and saw the woman considered the genius of their school. She had earned this title over the four years they had known her. It seemed as if she could effortlessly take any kind of exam and come out with the top score. However, this time around someone had usurped her position.

“Oh Seohyun-shi, have you seen the results of the exam from last week? The professors posted it in the main hallway near the front entrance. I’m sure you’ll be surprised when you see the results,” the first boy responded. Seohyun noticed the slight irritation in the boy’s voice and it piqued her curiosity. She took a glance around and noticed that pretty much everyone in the hallways was talking about the exam results in one way or another. She decided it was better for her to take a look at the results herself rather than take the word of anyone else.

“Hey, Seohyun!” Hara and Yoona, her two best friends yelled from across the hall. In front of them stood a large, white bulletin board with the results of all 200 seniors at the school. She picked up her pace into a light jog and greeted her two good friends with a smile.

“Annyeong guys! What’s going on with the school today? Everyone’s suddenly really interested in the exam results. It was just a mock exam so I don’t really see what the big deal is or anything. Do you guys know what’s going on?” she asked.

“Just take a look for yourself,” Yoona suggested. Seohyun’s eyes skimmed over the paper in order to find her name. Much to her surprise, her name wasn’t in its usual spot. It was implied that Seo Joohyun’s name would always be in the first place spot on the list. Perfect scores are what she was known for. She didn’t care much for the titles everyone gave her, but she was proud to think of herself as the smartest girl in their school. Even though she knew she wouldn’t get a perfect score on the exam, she was sure that she would still have the highest score.

“EH!?” she exclaimed. Yoona and Hara assumed her ‘EH!?’ was because her name wasn’t first but that wasn’t the case. “How is that even possible?” Her eyes were stuck on the name at the top of the list. Unexpectedly, the name Jung Yonghwa was sitting there proudly. That wasn’t what had her so dumbfounded. The numbers 6-0-0 were placed next to his name in bold print.

“I know how can anyone have beaten you on that exam? I didn’t know Yonghwa was so smart,” Hara commented. “I guess he belongs with us after all.”

“No I don’t care that I came in second. I just can’t believe he actually got 600 marks on that test…” Seohyun replied disbelievingly.

“Oh damn you’re right!” Yoona realized. “Isn’t a 600 the highest possible score? How could he possibly have gotten a perfect? That test had material that we won’t get to cover for months. I don’t even…”

“Do you think it’s true what all the people are saying about him? Everyone already judges him because he’s the poorest kid here. I also heard he’s a pretty good fighter from some people. I don’t know how they would know that, but everyone seems so sure of themselves. Hmm, do you think he’s some kind of gangster? If he were one, then it would be possible that he did cheat,” Hara reasoned.

“Nah, he may be mean to people, but I don’t think he’s like that,” Seohyun defended, still staring in disbelief at the results. Right under his name was hers with a score of 515. Since they did have the reputation of being nerds, most of her close friends followed right after, but a jump of 600 being the highest, and 515 being the second highest was a ridiculous thought to her. “What the heck is that guy..?” she whispered to herself.

“Whatever, enough of this. So Seohyun ah are you ready for today? It feels like it has been forever since we went to help Mrs. Kim at the elementary school.”

“What are you talking about Yoona?” Seohyun asked, finally peeling her eyes off of the array of names and numbers.

“Duh, the tutoring we signed up for at the elementary school. We promised Mrs. Kim we would go every year remember? I remember that year where you got that pair of kids that barely knew how to add 1 and 1 together,” Hara laughed at Yoona.

“Ugh, that little demon drove me insane! I really hope we get kids that actually have common sense and don’t threaten me with scissors. It seems like I always get the worst students ever. I’m so jealous of Seohyun for getting the perfect little angels she always gets,” Yoona pouted.

“Oh, Yoona did you say something?” Seohyun asked.

“Uh no… girl why are you spacing out so much?”

“Oh its nothing, I’m just a little tired I guess. I have to go to uh, class right now. I’ll see you guys before school’s over so we can walk to the elementary school together. I’ll see you later,” she told them before running off. Yoona and Hara just looked at each other strangely and brushed it off. Seohyun was as cheerful as she usually was until she saw the board. They supposed she wasn’t used to being second and just left it at that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A huge sigh escaped Yonghwa’s mouth while looking at the clock. It was already Wednesday, almost one week since he was punished for kicking Seung Ri’s . He thought it was totally unfair that he had gotten most of the heat, but it was the price he had to pay for protecting those three little girls that now proclaimed themselves his official fan club. Luckily Principal Kang hadn’t been too hard on him, but nonetheless, he was paying for a crime that wasn’t really a crime.

 

-------------------------  Flashback -------------------------

“Choi seonsaeng, please leave this matter to me. I hate to take away your authority, but if this is as serious as you say, this incident falls under my jurisdiction. If you’ll excuse me and Mister Jung here, we have matters to discuss,” Principal Kang politely explained. Since he was asked so politely to leave, the large and idiotic gym teacher had no choice but to leave the matter to his superior. He wished with all his heart that he could work Yonghwa until he needed hospitalization, but it couldn’t be helped.

“So Yonghwa, is it true what Choi seonsaeng told me? Did you really break Seung Ri’s arm in a fight? You know Yonghwa, I find that very hard to believe. I know everyone here has branded you as a poor kid from a bad area of town that knows nothing other than picking fights. I know those are all unfounded rumors. Why don’t you tell me what really happened?”

“Choi seonsaeng told you already. I confronted Seung Ri on the field near the track and I provoked him into a fight. I hate him and that was my justification for fighting him. There’s nothing else to tell you,” Yonghwa lied. It was all he could do in the situation. He had to shoulder the burden for this or else more people would get hurt. Seung Ri was a snitch, that was a well-established fact, but he wouldn’t tell anyone but teachers. He was way too proud to admit that someone had kicked his that hard. As long as Yonghwa kept quiet, Jiyoung, Sulli, and Krystal weren’t going to get questioned.

“While I still find it very hard to believe your story, I still have to punish you. Since you’re confessing to it yourself, there’s nothing much I can do to help you. I’m not one for punishments as Choi seonsaeng told you, but I have to do my job. Next Wednesday you’ll go to Daewon Elementary school and report to Mrs. Kim Eun Kyo. Think of this as a form of community service,” Principal Kang suggested.

“So what am I going to do with this person?”

“You’re going to go every Wednesday for the rest of the year to tutor the students there. Our program has drastically improved the grades of those students and I’m sure that you’ll make an excellent choice. You’ll be tutoring them in English, since that is the thing those kids struggle with the most,” he explained.

“Is that all I have to do? It doesn’t even seem like a punishment,” Yonghwa commented.

“You’ll have to stay behind and help with whatever the person in charge of cleaning wants you to do. Also, for this week and the next I’ll require you to have detention during your lunch period. To me these kinds of punishments are silly and unnecessary. However, if I don’t do these kinds of things, I wouldn’t truly be doing my job. As much as I feel bad for unjustly punishing you, what you did is a serious offense. Seung Ri is too proud to admit you beat him up luckily, but at least he won’t press charges against you for that very reason.”

“Is that all?”

“Yes, that’s all. You may go now. Be ready for Wednesday. I’ll assign someone to be your for that day so wait at the front gate of the school for them.”

-------------------------  End -------------------------

 

He felt stupid for what he did, but the damage was done. Even though there was no relationship between those girls he saved, he felt that there was nothing else he should have done. The only thing he regretted now was not being able to go to lunch with Uee. That was the only thing that he looked forward to at school. As much as everyone called her a , the Uee he knew was different. If she had invited him to sit with her, it was because she was nice, or at least that’s what he thought.

Weirdly enough, he hadn’t seen the annoying girl named Seohyun around at all that day. He shuffled unenthusiastically towards the front door of the school as excited teenagers rushed past him. The school day was finally over and everyone talked about how they would now go to the club or to ride horses at their private race track. As always, the arrogance of all the students in the school made the food he had for lunch fly onto the floor ahead of him. The flagpole ahead of him seemed like a good place to lean on while waiting for his so-called to the elementary school. He already knew where it was, but he didn’t know why Principal Kang insisted that he needed someone to guide him there.

“Oh, yeah sorry Yoona. Tell Hara I also said I’m sorry. I’ll walk with you guys next week. I don’t really know what Principal Kang wanted me to do out here, but I’m apparently waiting for someone,” Yonghwa heard a female voice speak into her phone. “Yeah, mmhmm I’ll see you guys there in a bit. Bye.”

“I cursed myself when I came to this damn school didn’t I?” Yonghwa groaned inwardly. He could not believe his luck. He just had to be there to save those three kids, he just had to lie about the fight. And now Seohyun, the girl that he wanted to pick up and throw out a window, was now partnered with him yet again.

“You again…” he growled. “Let’s get going.”

“What are you talking about? Hey wait!” she called out to him. “Oh… don’t tell me…” Once she realized that he had become his partner for this as well, her palm flew into her face. She had nothing against Yonghwa, but she was getting a little tired of him being so mean to her. She was usually a very patient person and it took a lot of abuse for her to crack, so he definitely was rubbing her the wrong way.

She brought herself to fall into the same pace as him, only slightly walking behind him. She stared at him as he seemed to know where he was going. If he was as poor as everyone made him out to be, why would he know which way to go? Of course that was a poor assumption on her part, but it was not a baseless observation. She stared at him as he slowly walked towards the elementary school she had never been to besides as a tutor. Every one of her friends for the most part had gone to this elementary school. Seohyun didn’t get to attend the school since she had only moved to this area of Seoul back in her freshman year of high school. His eyes looked forward, not bothering to flicker even once to look at his surroundings. It seemed as if he had tunnel vision and the only thing that existed for him, was what he was staring at in the distance.

“You know it’s rude to stare,” he suddenly commented, startling her. She wobbled a bit as she regained her composure and fought away the blush of embarrassment that found its way onto her face. “Look, I don’t want any problems with you. I see you more than enough on the days we have class together. Let’s just make this work and get out of here with as little pain as possible.”

“What?”

“Did you not hear me or do you want me to say it again? I don’t like rich little girls like you or anyone else that goes to this school. I’m here wasting my time because of people like you and I’m not very happy about it. Unlike you, I have real problems dealing with the real world. I would much rather be spending my time solving those problems, rather than here playing school with you,” he acidly commented.

“Get over yourself…” she mumbled. Her blood was now boiling. She was at her breaking point and there was no turning back. Jung Yonghwa had pushed her buttons enough and now it was her turn to flip out. There was no reason for him to be such a jerk to her. How was it her fault that he was put into this situation? Why did he feel the need to take out his frustration out on here when she had done nothing but try to become his friend?

“What was that? I couldn’t hear you,” he replied.

“I said get over yourself! Was that loud enough for you or do you need me to go find a megaphone and say it even louder?!” she yelled at him. He stopped walking forward and directed his usual glare at her. “Why are you such a jackass?! What the hell did I do to you that’s so wrong? I only wanted to be your friend because I saw how everyone else treated you badly here. Is it so wrong of me to try to get close to you? You act like you hate everyone here, but in truth you’re just like them.”

“Ha!, he scoffed. “You’re comparing me to those stuck up hats that do nothing for this world except leech off of their parents?”

“No, I’m not comparing them to you. They’re much better people than you’ll ever be. They might judge you unjustly, but you give them no reasons to believe otherwise. You claim everyone here is an arrogant piece of trash, but that’s what you are. I don’t even know why I still tried to reason with you. I don’t care what kind of problems you have, you’re just as bad as the snobbiest kids there. Now just shut the hell up and keep moving forward. I don’t want to hear you talking down to me anymore,” she finished.

Yonghwa felt the muscles in his mouth tense up as he prevented himself from responding. His natural instinct was to reply to her claims with his harsh speech, but the logical part of his brain stopped him. Oddly enough, he had to agree with her. A little voice in his head told him that he had been a jackass. What did standing up to the rich snobs mean if he was going to be just as bad as they were? For once in his life, Jung Yonghwa had to cede victory to the smaller figure in front of him. Since he knew how to read people, he assumed that Seohyun wouldn’t be capable of standing up for herself like that. If she was doing something like that, she definitely had a good reason.

“Troublesome woman…” he thought to himself.

“Now if you’re done acting all high and mighty, we have to get to the school. I hope you take that stick out of your before we get there or else the kids are going to hate you.” She stormed off in front of him, not once looking back. Her body was rigid the entire walk there and it didn’t let down until they signed in at the front office. The chubby secretary informed them to go to the cafeteria and be ready to welcome the class of students that they would be tutoring. Seohyun looked around aimlessly, not remembering where the cafeteria was, prompting Yonghwa to take the lead. Once again she was confused as to how he knew where to go, but she was still too mad at him to care.

“Oh Seohyun ah!” called her friends in the usual fashion.

“Hey girls, sorry I couldn’t meet you guys after school. Principal Kang paired me up with the freaking Ice Prince of Daewon… That guy could give Jessica unnie a run for her money with no contest at all. Ugh!” Seohyun groaned.

“Ice Prince of Daewon?” the two girls asked themselves simultaneously. Seohyun plopped down on one of the seats and dropped her head rather forcibly on the table. When she heard her friends ask who it was she was referring to, she pointed a finger in the direction she assumed Yonghwa was still standing in.

“Woah what the heck is Yonghwa doing here?” Hara asked.

“Oppa is here!?!” a cute voice squealed from behind. The three older girls looked up to see Jiyoung with her usual crew standing behind her. “Oppa~!!!!” she squealed once more, taking off as fast as her legs could take her towards the cold man. In a familiar way, she tackled him into a hug. Unfortunately for him, the tackle also threw him back into the corner of a table, causing him to flinch from the pain.

“Yah! I just got over the bruise Seung Ri gave me with that point blank kick of his,” he complained while rubbing his side. “And, I’m not your freaking oppa. Go somewhere else little girl, I’m not interested.” By now, this had become the norm every time Jiyoung and Yonghwa were in the same room. He dreaded the first five minutes of his Japanese class where everyone would always about how he liked his girls young.

“Hey Yonghwa,” Krystal casually greeted. Had Yonghwa been one for respecting you elders, he would have reprimanded her for being so disrespectful. “We asked Principal Kang what happened to you and he told us that you were going to have to do a ton of community service. He said that he knew the whole story about you protecting us and everything. We begged him to reconsider but he said he couldn’t unless you and Seung Ri sunbae straightened it out.”

“Since we know that will never happen, we’ll just do the next best thing. We came to keep you company here so you don’t get lonely,” Sulli explained. “I hope we all get into the same class.” Yonghwa refrained from flipping out in his usual manner. For some reason the words that Seohyun had told him were eating away at his conscience. He had no reason to listen to someone like her, but he couldn’t get over the fact that everything she had told him was true.

“Um… alright, just go bother someone else now,” he ordered in a very out of character voice. The girls threw each other confused looks, but decided that it was better than him yelling at them. Well, even if he had yelled at them they still wouldn’t have cared. Their new oppa was all that mattered to them, even if he was mad at them.

“Welcome everyone! For those of you that may not know me, I’m Kim Eun Kyo, coordinator of the tutoring program here. Everyone please come take a folder from this stack that has your name on it. It has all the information about your students and respective classes. Each one of you will receive two students for the rest of the year,” the woman explained.

“I hope we’re all in the same class,” whispered Hara to the girls sitting at her sides.

“Each class will have 12 tutors in all. However, unlike the past years, we are implementing a new system. We will have two tutors paired up at a large table. That way the students will have more interacting with their peers as well as another extra set of eyes to watch over them. In this way we will have four students and two tutors sitting together at one table. Now if nobody has any questions, please pick up your folder and head to your respective rooms please.” The students rushed forward and picked up their colorful folders from the woman at the front of the room. Yoona, Hara, and Seohyun cheered when they found out they would all be in class 2-A teaching a class of young second year students. Jiyoung and Sulli burst into tears when they found out Krystal would be joining their unnies in class 2-A as well, while they were put in class 2-B. Yonghwa stared at the room number on his folder with shock. His luck seemed like it couldn’t get any worse. If being in class 2-A wasn’t a curse, his pairing was. For a whole 2 extra hours every Wednesday, he would have to sit with Seo Joohyun and four obnoxious eight year-olds.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Unnie, what’s the matter with you? You seem a lot more out of it than usual. I’m not buying the whole tired excuse either,” Krystal asked Seohyun. They had all settled down with their respective students, and Seohyun had dumped them onto Yonghwa for the time being. She was still rather upset with him and all she wanted to do was to keep him busy and out of her hair. Their instructor had left the room with a little over half of the class to find a few books to read, but the two little girls Yonghwa was assigned with stayed with him.

“Oh it’s nothing Krystal, I’m just being weird,” Seohyun tried to joke.

“Did Yong oppa do something wrong again? It seems like every time I see you like this, you complain about him,” the younger girl pointed out.

“I don’t know Krystal. That guy really irritates me. I have never met someone so arrogant, cocky, and uncaring. He completely steps over the feelings of the people around him and he doesn’t give a damn about it. I usually don’t dislike people, but I can’t find it in my heart to like him,” she admitted.

“I don’t know about that unnie…”

“What do you mean?”

“Take a look at him,” Krystal suggested, motioning her head towards the boy behind her. On the large mat in the middle of the room, Yonghwa was laying down with his new ‘little sisters’ climbing all over him. For once since she had met him, he seemed like a real person. He didn’t exactly look like he was happy about those little girls attacking him, but he did look different. There was a faint trace of a smile on his face as he picked one of the girls up and pretended to throw her. Seohyun shook her head and dispelled those strange thoughts. It was Jung Yonghwa in front of her so it had to be a mirage or something

“Unnie, I think we all judged Yonghwa oppa too early,” Krystal spoke up again, breaking the older girl out of her daydreams. “Look at how he’s playing with those little girls that he just met a few minutes ago. Don’t you think if he was a jerk that he would have told them to screw off by now?”

“I guess so…”

“When I really think about it, there must be something that turned him into that. He’s not a bad person and I’m sure that’s why everyone is so attracted to him. At school everyone wants to talk to him, but it seems like he feels the need to push them away from him. I don’t know exactly what to say about that just yet, but I think we should be more patient with him. When he saved Jiyoung, Sulli, and me the other day, I could think of no other word besides ‘angel.’ Yonghwa is definitely someone that I would like to get closer to. I think we ought to really get to know him before we cast the final vote don’t you think?” Krystal supposed. Seohyun stared at him closely, trying to figure out who Jung Yonghwa really was. Krystal was one of the more bratty girls at school and she wouldn’t claim something like what she had just said unless she really meant it.

“Wait what did he save you from?” Seohyun asked.

“Oh nothing, don’t pay attention to me hehe,” Krystal nervously added. She cursed her big mouth for speaking of the incidence with Yonghwa and Seung Ri. If Seohyun knew about that, she was sure to hate Yonghwa even more.

“Just who are you?” she thought to herself. Yonghwa continued to playfully interact with the pair of little girls, making Seohyun even more confused than she already was in response to his behavior. Before she could continue her thoughts, another noise brought her out of her head. This time it wasn’t Krystal’s voice, but a rumble of thunder. Seohyun looked out the window to see the sun suddenly gone and shrouded by a thick layer of clouds.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Aish, what a damn drag…” Yonghwa moaned while scrubbing the white board in the room where everyone had just been. He looked over at the clock reading 7:00pm. It had been 2 hours since everyone had left, but he was still there cleaning up the last room before he could head out. Another scrubbing noise was heard in the back of the room while Seohyun scrubbed the permanent marker drawings off of the walls. She didn’t have any younger siblings so she was just realizing how bad 8 year-olds could be.

Yonghwa wiped the sweat off his forehead and sighed at the board that had given him so much trouble. Turns out the second graders here really liked playing with permanent markers. Whoever told them it was a good idea to write on the board with those types of markers needed a good punch to the face in his opinion. He turned and saw Seohyun diligently scratching away at the marks left by the same marker that had given him trouble. Ever since their little argument earlier that day, they had been awkward with each other. Well, they were already awkward, but even more so than usual. Seohyun didn’t try to approach him and their conversations were limited to the matters of the students. He didn’t have the courage to ask her why she had stayed back so he just let her do her own thing.

“Are you done?” she spoke out in the dark room.

“Yeah, I’m done,” was his short response. “Are you?”

“Yeah, I am.” She threw the paper towel she had been using into a nearby trashcan and straightened out her checkered skirt. She avoided Yonghwa’s gaze and just walked out into the hallway. He assumed she would be calling her chauffer or something soon, so he just ignored it. A glance out the window, told him that walking home was probably a good idea before the clouds decided to start dropping the water they were holding.

“Yonghwa…” Seohyun began when she saw him walk out of the room. Yonghwa was a little startled, but he tried his hardest not to show it. For the first time after the incident, her eyes made contact with his. The defiant look from earlier was gone, being fully replaced by one that seemed to be of guilt or apology. He could tell that she was about to apologize for being so rude to him, but he was one step ahead of her.

“I’m sorry,” he genuinely apologized for the first time in years. “I’m… I’m sorry I’ve been mean to you,” he mumbled. If Seohyun’s jaw could drop to the ground it would have. She was ready to beg him for forgiveness for not being understanding of him. Instead, the roles became reversed and he was the one apologizing.

“Umm…. Wait, did I hear that right? I think some thunder rumbled while you were speaking,” she responded.

“I said I was sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, I just don’t want to be involved with anyone here,” he admitted. “I suggest you should go home before it starts raining.” He stuffed his hands in his pockets and awkwardly walked away. Seohyun couldn’t believe her ears. Had the person she dubbed “The Ice Prince” just apologized to her? She must have been dreaming because there was no other explanation. Suddenly a flash of lightning and the shut off of the lights told her this was reality. She shrieked loudly and ran to Yonghwa’s side.

“Yah! What’s wrong?” he asked in response to her outburst. “It’s just a blackout and some lightning. Get off of me,” he ordered back to his usual self. Sure he had just been ‘nice’ to her, but she was overstepping the boundaries already.

“I-I-I really don’t like storms,” she stuttered. He noticed how tense she got at the mention of the storms. Her breathing was unusually fast and she seemed to be rather shaken up. He didn’t know what had gotten into her, but it seemed like she wasn’t joking around.

“Are you going to be okay?” he asked trying to sound worried. In all honestly he didn’t really care what happened to her, but he had to respond since it was the ‘nice’ thing to do.

“Yeah, let me just call my chauffer really fast.” At the mention of chauffer he rolled his eyes. He made no comment, but inwardly he was angry at the thought. He decided to stand there and wait for her to finish her call. There was no real reason he was doing it, he just felt like he had to.

“My phone is dead,” she stated. “Can I borrow yours please?”

“I don’t have one,” he responded nonchalantly. “I know you’re going to ask why I don’t have one like everyone else has… it’s because I have nobody to call and it’s a luxury, not a necessity. The blackout isn’t going to let you call anyone from here. What do you plan on doing?”

“I don’t know,” she whined. Seohyun was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Nothing she was trying in her mind was calming her down. There was no possible way of her getting in touch with anyone for the time being. If the school’s power was out, then most likely the entire neighborhood was also without power. Even if she could use a neighbor’s phone, the thought of going outside during the raging storm made her want to cry. Tears began to form in her eyes, which worried Yonghwa who continued to stand there and stare at her.

“Well, I’m going home. If you don’t want to go out in the stormy weather, just stay here and wait for the power to come back on. Later.” He walked away and threw a wave over his shoulder indicating his intentions of leaving. Seohyun thought he was just kidding but she ran after him as he moved down the hall.

“Wait! Let me go with you. I’m really scared right now and I don’t want to stay here alone,” she cried. The tears in her eyes started flowing and her voice cracked every time she formed a word. “Please!”

“Just my damn luck… alright fine. From the sounds of things right now, it sounds like we have some really strong winds and rain on our hands. Are you sure you can make the 10 minute walk to my house?” Yonghwa questioned, trying to discourage her from following him. It was bad enough they had school and tutoring together. He didn’t need her annoying him at home with her goody-two-shoes attitude.

“Ye-yeah I can make it,” she whimpered.

“Alright let’s go.” Once they made it through the front door, the sight of the furious storm disheartened them. The rain didn’t even look like it was coming from the sky anymore. The wind made sure that it was almost falling sideways, which would make it very difficult to see if they were to walk. The world was completely dark, with the occasional flash of lightning eerily brightening up the black skies. Thunder crashed louder than either had experienced in their lives. It was definitely not a pretty sight and neither of them were looking forward to the trek to his house. Yonghwa made the first move and jumped into the intense conditions, believing Seohyun would follow him.

“Yah! Are you coming?!” he yelled over the fury of the elements, getting no response. He turned around in annoyance, hoping that Seohyun could hear him, but he was met with something unexpected. Seohyun was laying on the floor in the small area in front of the door. He rushed over to her and shook her gently, hoping to get through to her. He felt her pulse and noticed it was rather slow, probably meaning she was knocked out cold. He scolded her mentally for being a big baby, but this was too serious of a situation for his pettiness. He took off the jacket that had been given to him by Principal Kang and wrapped her in it. The cloth wouldn’t do much to protect her from the water flying through the air, but it was better than nothing.

“You really are bad luck aren’t you?” he asked the sleeping girl before picking her up bridal style. Once again Yonghwa headed out into the unfavorable conditions. His brain told him to stop running because he could slip and drop the girl, but his body wasn’t responding. He had to get them out of the rain before either of them got sick. It didn’t help that she was almost the same size as him, but he mustered all the strength in his body and rushed back home.

 

 

Author’s Note: Next chapter will have a lot more YongSeo interactions so be ready for it! I totally want to go ahead and write that chapter and post it together with this one, but school is being stupid and keeping me from doing so. Ugh I cannot wait till summer. Have fun reading :) I hope that I can make the next chapter epic for you guys.