Sorry, Who Are You?

Start Over

 

 

 

“Jo Kwon's awake. He's back.

 

 

Ga-in felt like jumping in joy when she heard Seulong's words. She quickly pushed him back inside and hurriedly claimed her place beside Kwon. Jea looked at her with a weird expression. Jinwoon was on the other side of the bed, looking bored while Changmin is using the restroom inside Kwon's room.

 

“Kwon-ah?

 

No response. Ga-in held the right casted hand of his. “Jo Kwon? Are you awake? Or are you pretending to sleep again?” She looked at him closely. Is this kid playing with me right now? Ga-in got impatient and repeatedly tapped on Kwon's forehead. “Yah. Idiot. Wake up. Stop playing with me.” Jinwoon raised his head up when Ga-in started to tap on Kwon's forehead.

Seulong went inside a few minutes later, followed by Minyoung. Ga-in glared at him when he passed by her. 

 

“Yah. Im Seulong. Are you joking with me right now?

 

“Mm?” Seulong said, looking innocent.

Ga-in shook her head. “Yah idiot.” She pointed at Kwon who was obviously still unconscious. “Jo Kwon is not moving. You said he's awake.

Seulong's eyes widened. “Eh? But” He quickly went to her side to check-up on him. “But- I swear I saw him move his left hand.” Seulong started to hover around Jo Kwon. Meanwhile, Ga-in looked from Jea, to Jinwoon and then back to Seulong.

“Tch. Idiot. You were tricked by Jinwoonie.. Aren't I right, Jinwoon?” She coldly looked at Jinwoon's direction. Jinwoon looked scared.

He quickly bowed while Ga-in was still staring at him. “Noona. I'm sorry. The joke was meant for Seulong hyung. I didn't know that he would quickly call you when I played with Kwonnie's hand.” He bowed again.

“Aigoo Jinwoon.” Jea said. “I told you not to do that trick.

Jinwoon bowed again. “I'm really sorry.

Ga-in sighed and looked at Kwon. She just wants him to wake up. She doesn't care if he'll scream at her or drive her out of the room. She just wants to see Jo Kwon open his eyes and be alive.

 

“Unnie?

 

Minyoung broke her chain of thoughts. “Can we talk? I mean, I have something to say to you.

 

Jea, Jinwoon, Seulong and the now present Changmin who just came out of the restroom looked at the quietly. They could feel the tension and awkwardness in the atmosphere.

Ga-in silently nodded. She stood up and silently left the room. Minyoung followed her. She closed the door and turned to Ga-in, who was again sitting on the bench that they sat on earlier. Minyoung looked around, trying to gain courage. She was feeling shy and scared now that she's alone with Ga-in again.

 

“Unnie. I'm really really really sorry.

 

Ga-in couldn't hide her shock when she saw Minyoung bowing down to the floor. “Y- Yah. Stand up. Someone might see you.” She looked around if there were people that are about to pass by the hallway. She breathed a sigh of relief when Minyoung stood up.

 

“I'm really sorry. About this, about everything.” She hung her head down. “This is all my fault. I should've just backed off when Kwonnie oppa told me that we can't be anything more that friends.

“To be honest, I don't know what Kwonnie oppa sees in you.” Minyoung raised her head up now to look at Ga-in, who stared at her with a surprised face. “No. It's just Kwonnie oppa has a certain ideal type. And unnie doesn't really fit the category.

“But I'm surprised at him. I'm surprised how he changed when he met you.. when he dated you. Do you know that he doesn't normally do grand events?” She said, a small bitter smile forming on her face. “When we were dating, the grandest thing that I got from him was a big stuffed animal and a super expensive date to Jeju.

Minyoung sighed. “Ga-in unnie, you're a really lucky girl. Kwonnie oppa really really really likes you. And I think that this time, if he will ask for your hand again, I'm sure that he won't leave you hanging. He won't break his promise.

 

“I hope unnie forgives me for all the trouble that I have caused. When Kwonnie oppa wakes up, I will also apologize to him. I swear I will back off now.” She let out a small sigh again. “I'm done chasing Kwonnie oppa. I've been chasing him for almost two years. I guess we are never meant for each other.

“I would understand if you don't forgive me. I just- I just want to say that I'm really sorry. I just want to make ammends before I leave for the States again.

 

Ga-in looked at the girl who was apologizing to her. “You're leaving?

Minyoung nodded. “Yes. My flight is tomorrow night. I came here because Jinwoonie said that something happened to Kwon oppa and they insisted that I come. I think they want to talk to me. But I ended up talking to unnie instead.” She flashed a small smile at her.

Ga-in was silent. Should I forgive her? Or should I walk out on her? Those were the thoughts that was running through Son Ga-in's mind.  “Well. I guess I have to forgive you so that you can travel with a lighter heart, right?” She looked at Minyoung with a blank expression. “I would smile but I'm just so tired. I'm sorry. But yes, I forgive you.” She forgave Minyoung easily because she was just tired. If she was in her right state of mind, she would've slapped her first before forgiving her. Ga-in thought that Minyoung was having her lucky day.

Minyoung smiled sincerely and bowed at her. “Thank you. Really unnie. ” She bowed again. Minyoung checked the time. It was now 7 in the morning. “Unnie. I need to go. I still have to finish packing up and tell the people at the office.” She stared at Kwon's door and smiled. “I don't think I can apologize to Kwonnie oppa in person. Maybe some other time.

She fixed her dress before saying her goodbyes to Ga-in. “Ga-in unnie. I'll be going. Please tell everyone that I'm sorry. I promise I will talk to the four boys soon. Especially to Kwon oppa.” Minyoung smiled at her and turned away. Ga-in watched as the young girl slowly disappear from the hallway and from her life.

Ga-in sighed heavily. She noticed that she had been sighing all day long. Ga-in got amused and for the first time since Kwon's accident, she smiled. She stood up and went back to the room. When she was about to grab the doorknob, it suddenly turned and she saw Seulong's head popping out of it again.

“Yah. Where's Minyoung?” He asked with a low voice. Ga-in wondered why Seulong suddenly lowered his voice.

“She already left. I'll tell you the details later. I just want to sleep for now.” Ga-in sounded tired. She haven't slept since Kwon got admitted. She wanted to sleep for a little bit. Of course, she plans to do that beside Kwon. “Why are you whispering anyway?” Ga-in asked the question that came across her mind earlier.

He looked at her seriously. “You.” Seulong looked around. “You better not scream okay?” Ga-in nodded at him in confusion.

 

 

“Kwonnie's awake. Like awake. No I am not joking this time. He's really awake.

 

 

Ga-in was frozen in her place. But there was still doubt with Seulong's statement. “Yah, how do I know that you are not joking anyway? Are you guys trying to pull a prank on me or something?” She grabbed his collar and started to threaten him.

Before Seulong could reply, Narsha and Miryo arrived with their food. “Sorry it took so long. We were debating on how many you guys can eat. So we grabbed what we can grab.” Narsha said. “So, any news? And where's that Minyoung girl? I was going to talk to her.

“Tch. Talk. More like scare her away, noona.” Seulong teased. “Kwonnie is awake now. But your maknae doesn't want to believe me so you two noonas can come in. Ga-in can stay here.

Ga-in glared at Seulong and pushed him back inside the room again. When she was inside, she saw that Jea, Jinwoon and Changmin were all looking serious and was around Kwon's bed. She stopped midway, still having doubts on whether or not Kwon is truly awake. Nasha, Miryo and Seulong passed by her and gathered at Kwon's bed.

“Kwon-ah? Can you hear me?” Changmin asked cautiously. Ga-in can't see if Kwon's moving because Jinwoon and Seulong's broad built is blocking her view.

 

 

“Changmin hyung?” 

 

 

Ga-in suddenly heard Jo Kwon's voice. It was not his usual high-pitched, somewhat girly voice. It was more of like a croak. She heard Kwon croaked out Changmin's name. She felt like crying when. Ga-in wanted to run to his bed but her legs won't move. 

 

She heard everyone sigh in relief and happiness. “Yah Kwon-ah! Don't scare us like that!” Jea said in a worried voice.

“Jea noona? Omo. You're here too? Wait where am I anyway?” Kwon said in a weak voice. “Am I in the hospital?” He looked around and saw that he has his left leg in a cast. He also felt that something was at his right had. Kwon turned and he saw that his right hand was also in a cast. “Why am I here? Why is my left leg and my right hand in a cast?

Seulong laughed. “Aigoo. Slow down with the question Kwonnie.” He gave a glance to Ga-in, who was just standing a little far away from them. “You got into an accident late last night. You probably drank too much that's why you're stuck there now.

“Accident? And I drank?” Kwon said, his voice full of surprise and his eyes got big. “ Hyung, it's been a while since I drank alcohol. And why did I have an accident last night?

 

 

“It's because of me.

 

 

Ga-in suddenly spoke. Everyone turned in her direction, all nervous and holding their breaths. They could feel the tension in the atmosphere.

Kwon looked around, trying to find who spoke. When he saw Ga-in, he tilted his head sideways and scrunched up his eyes, looking confused.  He looked around at everyone before commenting on Ga-in's statement.

 

 

 

“I'm sorry. Who are you?

 

 

Ga-in's heart trembled when Kwon spoke those words. What–? Did Jo Kwon just...

 

Every one was silent. They were obviously shocked at Kwon's words. Seulong automatically smacked Jo Kwon on the back of his head after he spoke. “Yah Jo Kwon! What kind of joke is that? That's not funny!

“Hyung.” Jinwoon looked at Kwon with a weird expression. “What is wrong with you? Stop fooling around!” He also gave Kwon a smack in the head.

“Ow!” Kwon massaged the parts where he got smacked in the head. “Why? What did I do? What joke?” He looked at everyone, confused. “I don't really know her!

Ga-in felt like her world suddenly ended. Kwon's words... I'm sorry. Who are you? are still ringing in her head. Seulong and Jea both looked at her with much concern. She felt like crying.. Not because Kwon is awake... But because Jo Kwon suddenly forgot about her.

 

 

Her lie about having amnesia suddenly became true. The only thing is that Jo Kwon is experiencing it, not her.

 

 

“I have an idea.” Narsha spoke. She looked at Kwon and smiled at him. “Kwon-ah. Do you remember me?” She asked with caution.

Kwon looked at her and smiled. “Of course. You're Narsha noona the great.” He nodded and laughed.

“That's great!” Narsha smiled back at him. She pointed at Miryo who is beside her. “How about her?

“Miryo noona.” He flashed a small smile in Miryo's direction. Miryo silently nodded. Narsha looked at Kwon with a weird expression but continued her experiment.

“How about that eye-smiling kid over there?” She pointed at Jinwoon who was now looking at Ga-in.

“Who, that? That brat who never listens to me, Jung Jinwoon.

Jinwoon flashed him a glare. Kwon just laughed at him. “Noona, I swear I can remember all of you. He pointed at Jea. “Jea noona who loves meat more that me. And Changminnie hyung.” Kwon pointed at Changmin. He lastly pointed at Seulong, who was now beside Ga-in. “Seulongie hyung.

“How about her? You don't really remember her?” Seulong pointed at Ga-in when Kwon looked at their direction. Ga-in prayed that his response would be the opposite of what she's anticipating. She prayed that Kwon would say that he knows her and that he's just messing around.

 

 

Kwon shook his head vigorously. “No.

 

 

Ga-in can't take it anymore. She silently walked out of the room with tears forming in her eyes.

Kwon looked at her with a blank expression while she walked out. He noticed the girl wipe her eyes and sniff lightly when she walked past him. “Aish.” He heard Seulong mutter before following the girl out.

 

 

 

“Changmin hyung?” He called out. “I think the girl is about to cry. Did I do something wrong?

 

 

Seulong sighed in relief when he found Ga-in sitting alone in the hospital's rooftop. He approached her and tapped her lightly on the shoulder. “Yah. Son Gang-ni.

Ga-in let out a small laugh. “You haven't used that nickname in a long time, Ong Ahjibaem.

“Aigoo. I'm still an ahjibaem? Yah, pretend to have amnesia again. I can tolerate idiot and babo Ongong. But ahjibaem?” He shook his head. “I told you you can only use that if you would get married to” Seulong stopped and looked at Ga-in. “You okay?

Ga-in nodded. “I guess.” She wiped her left eye with the sleeve of her shirt. “I guess the universe is trying to punish me for lying.

“Ga-in ah...” Seulong looked at her with much concern. “I'm sorry.

She dropped her head to her knees when Seulong apologized. Ga-in cried again. Her eyes were puffy and tired from crying but her tears won't stop. Seulong wrapped his arms around her and made her lean to his side. “I'm sorry. I can't promise you that things will get better but it won't hurt if we hope that they would be, right?” He looked out to the skyline of Seoul. “But for now just let it all out.

 

Ga-in cried and cried. She was sure that Seulong's clothes were now wet because of her tears. She wanted to stop but her eyes wouldn't let her. 

 

“Seulong-ah.” She said, sniffing. “I think I got your clothes all wet now.

“Ah. It's okay. I can just walk around the hospital half-. I might attract some girls so just keep going.” Seulong tried to make the atmosphere light. Ga-in raised her head and smacked him at the back of his head. “Ow! What? I have a toned body if you don't know that fact.

“Tch.” Ga-in straightened up. “Toned body my face. You have man s... Well that's what Kwonnie told me in the past.

Seulong's eyes widened. “Jo Kwon told you that? Yah I will kill that boy.

Ga-in laughed. She was really grateful that she met and became friends with Seulong. Besides her unnies and Jo Kwon, he's the other person that she trusts the most in the world.

“Ms. Gang-ni.” Seulong stood up and offered his hand to her. “Everything will be alright.” He smiled at her.

Ga-in smiled back and took his hand, now standing up as well. “Of course it will.” They started to walk back to the entrance of the rooftop when someone suddenly opened the door. Both of them were surprised when they saw Jinwoon's head.

 

 

“There you guys are. I've been looking for you everywhere! You have to come with me. The doctor wants to discuss something about Kwonnie hyung's condition.

 

 

“He has what?” Seulong asked the doctor again.

 

They arrived at the doctors office at around 11 am. They never came back to Kwon's room when Jinwoon arrived at the rooftop. The three of them went straight to the doctor's office.

 

“Mr. Jo Kwon is experiencing Lacunar Amnesia. He's having a gap in his memories. It's like Selective Memory Loss in layman's term.” The doctor explained shortly.

 

Seulong still can't understand what he's trying to say. “Dr. Park. Just. Can- Can you please explain to us what the hell is Lacunar Amnesia.

 

“Well I just said it in layman's term, Mr. Im Seulong.If you want to.. Well. According to Daniel Goleman, the author of Vital Lies, Simple Truth and I quote in verbatim. "lacuna, from the Latin for gap or hole, to refer to the sort of mental apparatus that diversionary schemas represent. A lacuna is, then, the attentional mechanism that creates a defensive gap in awareness. Lacunas, in short, create blind spots."” Dr. Park finished.

 

He then turned to Ga-in. “You're the only person that he can't remember, right?” Ga-in nodded. “I think the reason that he can't remember you is because either you're the last person that he saw before the accident or you're the last person that went through his mind before the accident.

“His brain created a gap in his memories. The memories in which you,” Dr. Park pointed at Ga-in. “Are involved. Let's just say that his brain automatically erased all the memories in which you are a part of. His brain has this empty spot, and that empty spot is the memories that he has with you.

The three of them were silent. No one knew what to say. Ga-in just looked on the floor. She wanted to cry, but her eyes finally gave up on crying. She looked at Jinwoon and Seulong who were both looking at her. 

“I'm sorry. But we'll try to research more about Mr. Jo Kwon's condition.” He stood up and bowed to the three of them. “Excuse me, I must go make my rounds now.” With that, Dr. Park left his office.

“Noona, are you okay?” Jinwoon broke the silence. Seulong nudged Jinwoon for asking the question to Ga-in.

They were taken back when Ga-in suddenly smiled at them. “Mm. Noona is okay.

 

“What are you planning to do now, Ga-in?” Seulong leaned in and asked her. 

She remembered her words to Minyoung earlier. I won't give up on Jo Kwon. Never again will I give up on that stupid kid.

 

 

 

“I'm going to make him remember me again. I'll make him remember everything... Even if it takes me forever to do that.

 

a/n:

THE END.

 

 

 

 

 

....?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LOL NAW IT'S NOT YET THE END. I know many of you already anticipated Kwonnie having amnesia so.. yeah. It's like the rule of accidents in fics. Either you die, you miraculously survive or you get amnesia. LOL. But yeah I researched the kind of amnesia where you can only forget like one person and that came up.

Oh, and the line that Ga-in said looked familiar right? Or.. am I the only one who noriced that. LOL. I had to write something about Seulong and Ga-in. Like I said, I like their love-hate relationship as friends. :3

Anyway, look out for the next chapter. Key points: Ga-in tells everyone where Minyoung is and she talks to Kwon alone for the first time.

To my subs, new subs and silent readers: Hello~~~ Oh and sorry for another long and lengthy chapter. >.<

Till the next update~ <3