19

War of the Beast Worlds

The alarm blared loudly, “Attention all security! Proceed to lab 1 and recapture subject 1!” But by then, subject 1 had already left the lab, going on to labs 2 and 3 in search for his dongsaengs. At lab 2, subject 2 was sleeping peacefully, encased in ice, guarded well by Gayoon and her policemen. At lab 3, subject 3 was slumbering in tranquillity, encased in ice, protected well by Jiyoon and her army personnel. The door to lab 2 opened but there was no one in sight. Two policemen went forward to check but were dragged out, leaving a trail of blood behind. A few grenades were thrown out but they rolled back in, claiming the lives of most of its inhabitants.

 

Subject 1 walked in coolly and gunshots were heard in the lab. After the policemen ran out of bullets, subject 1 took this time to expel the bullets from his body and healed instantly. Bullets were fired once more but not at subject 1, subject 1 shot at Gayoon and the remaining policemen who slumped over like dominoes. The ice on the casing of subject 2 melted, only to reveal a fair and bubbly figure. “Yoseob-ah wake up! We have to go now!” said Hyunseung as he slapped his cheek. Yoseob woke up groggily and asked, “Where are we hyung?” “I don’t know but we have to find Kikwang and get out of here.” Hyunseung replied. When they were walking down the aisle, they saw Jihyun’s appa uploading a rectangular block of ice labelled subject 3 onto a van.

 

But as they made their way closer, Jiyoon and her team ambushed them. Sleeping gas filled the air, making it difficult for them to breathe. They have no choice but to jump out through the windows, falling safely onto the ground, 50 metres below them. They had to abandon subject 3, possibly coming back for him sooner or later. Jiyoon attempted to give chase but Jihyun’s appa stopped her saying that, “They’ll come back for him. So be prepared.” News of subject 1 and 2’s escape from the facility was made known to the public and Korea’s police and defence force had been mobilised to search for them. The two subjects made their way to the shipyard in search for sustenance. They knew that if they wanted to get Kikwang back, they needed some help, and that would be from their enemies, which would place them in a very difficult position.

 

Little did they know, the werewolves were also looking them but for different reasons. Hyunseung and Yoseob were busy drinking blood off the workers at the shipyard when they heard heavy footsteps of two people heading in their direction. The vampires stopped their work and went up to greet their friends. It was 4 months since they had last seen each other and now they were standing face-to-face, body-to-body, and lips-to-lips. No one said a thing, even a pin drop could be heard. It was just two couples embracing each other, eyes staring with intent, knowing what they had to say to each other, as if they could read their partner’s mind.