18

War of the Beast Worlds

4 months since it had passed. 4 months since they had last seen each other. 4 months since they disappeared. 4 months since they’ve been in captivity. 4 months of running away from humans. But will that 4 months end here just like that? Beep… beep… beep… went the heart rate monitor. The three subjects have been encased in ice for 4 months, various experiments were conducted on them by Jihyun and her appa, a scientist working for the government’s secret scientific projects. Blood was taken out and more blood was taken out, endless experiments, never ending, everlasting, but yet the three subjects kept on breathing in and out.

 

It was as if something so important to them kept them going and alive. “Argh!” Junhyung shouted and threw a table across the warehouse. “How long are we going to run away from them? Why can’t we just kill those humans?” he yelled and kicked a chair. Dongwoon then comforted him, “Calm down, you must hyung. Their whereabouts, we don’t know.” Junhyung then transformed and ran off to hunt, his tail disappearing under the silver moonlight. Doojoon followed him, being afraid that he would do foolish things, like surrendering himself or even worse still, killing himself.

 

Meanwhile, in the science lab, “Appa! Hyuna-ah can’t take it anymore! The monster in her is slowly draining her life away!” Jihyun shouted. “We’ll have to operate on her then, to remove the vampire child in her.” her father replied. “But appa, she doesn’t want to kill her own child.” Jihyun complained. “Wake up subject 1. He should know what to do since it’s his own child,” her father said. With that, the ice on the casing of subject 1 melted, only to reveal a fair and lean figure. “Subject 1, please tell us about the vampire child,” came a booming voice from the intercom, while Hyuna was wheeled into the lab on a wheelchair. Purple bruises filled her abdomen, her lips were as white as snow, frail and weak looking as she stared intensely into the dark, cold eyes of subject 1. “Oppa…” she called out to him.

 

“Abomination!” was the first word that came out from subject 1’s mouth. Without taking a second look, he tore out Hyuna’s heart and she collapsed lifelessly in front of the many eyes. “Subject 1, please remain calm,” said the voice from the intercom as guns were raised and pointed at him. “Catch me if you can,” he mumbled before ripping their throats out in one move. For the last one, he drained the life out before glaring back at the control centre above him. Jihyun quickly pressed a button and sleeping gas soon filled the lab. Within a flash, subject 1 disappeared through the ventilation system and reappeared behind Jihyun in the control centre. That was the last time we heard her scream.