9th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Internet, Skype

On the set: Aaron as TaeminsWings, Taemin as NamTei

Aaron (mumbling and panicking): Me?! A picture of me?! But…! But I don’t have one!! I mean… I need to go to the beauty salon first! And then hire a world class photographer! But I don’t have the money to pay one! And besides, why do I even care…?! He’s an old wrinkly grandpa anyway! So I shouldn’t even send him a picture…! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~!!!!! Eottokeeeeee~???!!!! (Bites her nails frantically)

NamTei: Okay, just what crazy thoughts are you thinking now…?

Aaron (defeated): What the…?!

TaeminsWings: I’m not thinking crazy thoughts!

NamTei: Don’t lie…! :D But you know, if I wanted a picture of Nicole Kidman or Angelina Jolie I would have downloaded it from the Internet… ^^ So there is no reason for you to panic…! :) Why don’t you just take a picture of you right now and send it to me…?

Aaron: Right now?! Am I insane?! I look like crap! And what’s with Nicole Kidman and Angelina Jolie?! So those are you’re ideal type?! Pfshh! No taste…!

TaeminsWings: You wish! *pouty emicon* I’m not sending anything…! Hrmpf! Nicole Kidman and Angelina Jolie?! Seriously?! Sorry to break it to you, but they’re both married…! *smirk*

(A/N: Gosh, it took me forever to find a STILL married actress! ;))

NamTei: Awww, come on! I just wrote the first celebrities that came to my mind! >< Besides, you promised! *pouts* Pretty-pretty-pleaseeee~?

TaeminsWings: *sighs* Fine~ But I’m not taking one right now! So wait a moment…

NamTei: Okay! :DD

Five minutes pass without a reply from TaeminsWings.

NamTei: Okay, just how long does it take to find a simple picture? Do you need to scan it in first or something?! ;-P

TaeminsWings: I’ve arrived at the digital age too, thank you very much! But I just don’t have that many pictures of myself! I’m not the type of girl who thinks herself so beautiful that she has to take a picture of herself everywhere and all the time! Hmpf!

NamTei: LOOOL I’m sorry, I was just joking! Hahaha~

TaeminsWings: Tsk, good for you…! :D I think I found a suitable one though…

NamTei: Really?! Send it! Send it!!

TaeminsWings: I don’t know… *unsure emicon*

Taemin: Are you trying to kill me, Wings?!

NamTei: Please? I promise I won’t make fun of you! And of course I also won’t post it anywhere or do anything other suspicious with it! I just wish to know what you look like! Really!

TaeminsWings: …fine… I believe you… (Sends the picture)

When Taemin sees the next message contains a picture, he’s heart starts beating faster and his hand actually shakes a little when he moves the curser to open it.

And finally, the picture has loaded. It shows a rather pretty girl with medium long brown hair that has a tinge of red. She has brown eyes that seem to look dreamily into the distance. She’s wearing a dark blue winter coat with matching boots and a creamy hat and gloves. She is riding sideways on a lion statue in a snow-covered park.

Taemin: Just what the hell is her problem?! She’s beautiful! See, my heart won’t stop beating!

And he puts a hand on his chest to feel his hear beat that is unmistakably faster than usual.

TaeminsWings: NamTei? Did you see the picture…?

NamTei: Did you photo-shop this picture or something…?

TaeminsWings: Huh? No… Why?

NamTei: Then what was all the fuss about before?! You’re beautiful!

Aaron can’t help but smile giddily.

Aaron: Kyaaaa! He thinks I’m beautiful!!!

TaeminsWings: Haha, no way…

NamTei: No, I’m serious! You look like an ice-princess or something! Can I ask where it was taken?

TaeminsWings: Um, my father took it when we went to Salzburg this winter… It’s in the Mirabellegarten… I cleaned all the snow off the lion just so I could sit on it, hahaha >< I sometimes get such weird ideas… *^^*

NamTei: Oh, the Mirabellegarten? I heard it’s a very beautiful park… Lucky you! Getting to see it with your own eyes…! ;)

And I don’t think of that as a weird at all…! :)

TaeminsWings: Well, I could say the same thing for you… You get to have Japan as you’re “neighbouring” country instead with its beautiful parks! *pouts*

Ehehe, I’m just saying I sometimes don’t act my age… *^^*

Taemin: So… She lives in a country that shares a border with Austria…?

He quickly googles the European map.

Taemin: Damn, why does Austria have to have so many neighbours…! Tsk!

NamTei: Neighbouring might be a bit exaggerated… It takes two hours of flight to get there, after all! ^^ And there are 200 km water in between…!

TaeminsWings: I know… that’s why I put it in quotation marks! ^^ But it also takes me at least five hours to get there! (Although by train…) And instead of a sea we just have mountains in between; doesn’t that count, too??

NamTei: Arasso, arasso! It counts! ^_^ Mountains? You mean… the Alps? I’m learning European geography right now, you know? >< I think I already know about 5 or 6 countries and it’s capitals by heart! England, the island above the mainland; London. Then France, the quadratic looking one in the west; Paris. Germany, the next big country in the east of France; Berlin. Spain, the big country on the other side of France; Madrid. Italy, the boot-shaped one in the south; Rome. And now Austria, too, the stripe between Germany and Italy; Vienna.

Not bad, huh? *funny expectant/proud emicon*

Aaron (while smiling): Tsk, no, not bad at all…! Although you forgot the most important one!

TaeminsWings: Yeah, yeah…! You’re amazing! You got everything right…! Although that probably wasn’t much of a feat… Considering that you most likely had an open map lying right next to you…! ;-P

NamTei: What! I didn’t just copy them! I really wrote it from memory! *pouts*

Hehe, but soo~, I even got the Alps right…? :P

TaeminsWings: Yeees, even the Alps…! What else but the Alps could it be, anyway?! Austria has no other mountains…! ;P

NamTei: Aigoo, so petty…! ;P I just wanted to make sure… *pouty emicon*

Aaron chuckles.

TaeminsWings: Oh, come on! You’re just fishing for compliments, aren’t you?! ;P Just admit it!! Lol

But, well, I guess you checking again might not be as absurd, after all… *thoughtful emicon* Someone confused us with Sweden once, you know!! Tsk!

NamTei: Confused? With Sweden (That’s the country far up in the north right?)? How come?

TaeminsWings: How would I know?! It wasn’t me…! But maybe because both names start with the same letter “S”…?

Taemin: Starts with an “S”…? (Consults the map again) That leaves… Slovakia… Slovenia… and Switzerland…

Should I just ask which of the three it is…?

(Sighs) But she probably wouldn’t answer me…!

But I wanna know~!!!

TaminsWings: NamTei…? You still there?

NamTei: Oh, yes! I’m sorry! I was in thoughts… ^^

TaeminsWings: About?

NamTei: Oh, nothing important… just… you know… ^^

TaeminsWings: Haha, yes I know…! ^^

Um, NamTei, are you busy?

NamTei: No… Why? *curious emicon*

TaeminsWings: Err, well, you see, I’m currently working on my next chapter for the fanfic and I want to have one or two lines in Korean but I have no clue about the Korean language and I don’t trust Google translate enough to let it do the work… Sooo…

NamTei: Of course! What do you want to know?? I’ll teach you as much as you want!! :D

TaeminsWings: Really?? :D Gomowo! (That spelled/used correctly?)

NamTei: I think the commonly used Romanisation is: Gomawo… ^^ Concerning the use; it’s the informal version but that’s alright between the two of us, right? :D

(A/N: Okay, I did use Google translate for this because unfortunately I have no NamTei to consult… ^^ So if I made a mistake, please correct me!)

TaeminsWings: Hehe, yes… *^^*

NamTei: So, what do you want me to translate?

TaeminsWings: Umm, alright! The situation is as follows: Eun Jung Hee (A/N: That’s the female main character of Aaron’s fanfic. ^^) Is looking for a part-time job so she wants to put up an ad. And I’d like to write that ad in Korean… *^^*

Something along the line:

I'm looking for a part time job.

I can cook, sew, use a computer, and many other things. I'm diligent and will always finish a task that's given to me.

My cell phone number is: 00-XXXXXXX

Please don't hesitate to call me!

NamTei: Okay, well, I’d probably write is like this:

나는 아르바이트를 찾고 있어요.
나는 요리 바느질, 컴퓨터를 사용하여, 많은 다른 것들 할 수 있습니다. 나는 근면이고, 항상 나에게있어 작업을 완료합니다.
내 휴대 전화 번호 : 00-XXXXXXX
나에게 전화를 주시기 바랍니다!

And Romanised:

naneun aleubaiteu leul chajgo iss-eoyo.

naneun yoli baneujil ,keompyuteoleul sayonghayeo , manh-eun daleun geosdeul hal su issseubnida. naneun geunmyeon igo, hangsang na ege iss-eo jag-eob-eul wanlyo habnida.

nae hyudae jeonhwa beonho: 00-XXXXXXX

na-ege jeonhwaleul jusigi balabnida!

(A/N: Again, this is Google Translate’s work and it’s just a program, so… ^^)

Aaron (mumbling): Nanaeun a-r-bei-to… Arbeit?!!

TaeminsWings: For real? Aleubaiteu means part-time job??

NamTei: Yes…? Why?

TaeminsWings: No way… It’s German and means work! Just normal work though…! Haha, that’s too funny!! XDDD

NamTei: German?

Aaron: Haha, busted...

TaeminsWings: Uh-huh… it’s my mother language… ^^

Aaron: Well, at least kind of…

Taemin: German…? (Checks what languages are spoken in Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland.) Hmm, Slovakia is Slovak… Slovenia is Slovenian… How creative…! And Switzerland is French, Italian, Rhaeto-Romanic, and… Swiss German!

They have four languages? (He researches some more.) So French is spoken in the West, Italian in the South, Rhaeto-Romanic in the East, and German in eastern, northern, and middle Switzerland? Man, is this complicated…!

But well, that means my Wings is living in a City of the German speaking part of Switzerland, huh? (Smiles happily)

(A/N: I decided to let Aaron have the same nationality as me (Swiss). Since this is a story (a.o.) about the meeting of two different cultures, I figured that I should at least know one of the two well enough to be able to write about its customs and traditions. And as I can’t really claim that about the Korean culture, I feel it is best to just let Aaron be Swiss. But please DO imagine her of your own nationality, if you’d like to! :))

 

Scene 2: Europe, somewhere in a cinema

On the set: Aaron, Kevin, other people

It has been a little more than a week since Aaron and NamTei had fought and made up again. They continued to chat daily like before again and yet, Aaron couldn’t help but feel like something was different. Maybe it was just her imagination but somehow she kept getting the impression that NamTei was depressed about something. She did not dare to ask him though.

Aaron: Maybe it is because I spent a little more time with Kevin lately…? But he doesn’t know about that… Maybe I should have turned down Kevin’s invitation for today and instead chatted with NamTei…?

But Kevin had asked me so nicely, how could I have possibly turned him down?!

--- Aaron Flashback ---

Aaron is exiting the laboratory for a break when Kevin steps in her way.

Kevin (cheerful): Hey, Aaron!

Aaron (surprised): Kevin? What are you doing here?

Kevin (while avoiding his eyes): Err… I was looking for you…

Aaron: Huh? Why?

Kevin: Uh, well… (Scratches his head embarrassed) I’ve been wanting to ask you for a favour…

Aaron: Sure, if it’s something I can do, I’ll help!

After all, Kevin has been really polite and attentive ever since they met. For her, he went out of his way several times. He lent her his notes for the lectures (the few one’s he had actually written himself ^^), he never used the name chinky eyes again since Aaron told him to stop it, he bought her drinks and snacks, and so on.

Aaron: So, if he’s asking for a favour, doing it is the least I can do…!

Kevin: Um, the thing is, I need to buy a present for my mum’s birthday and I need someone to help me pick something… (Looks away with a troubled expression; mumbling) Last year, I asked Carole but my mum’s taste turned out to be quite different to Carole’s… (Looks up again; now talking a little faster than before) In return, I’ll invite you to any movie you’d like to watch! Pleaseee~?? (Smiles and does something puppy-eyes-like)

Aaron (after a short pause of processing the just heard): Sure, why not…

Kevin (lighting up): Yayy, thank youuu!!!

And he pulls her into a hug. Aaron, too shocked, just remains stiffly in the same position until Kevin lets go of her again.

--- End of Flashback ---

That is how Aaron ends up sitting in this rather sparsely populated cinema with an only moderately interested companion. The movie she’s chosen is a children’s Cartoon that has already been in the theatres for quite some time now but Aaron somehow never managed to go and watch it. That’s why she thought of this as the perfect chance to catch up on it.

In the afternoon, they have searched the whole shopping district for the perfect present and Kevin has been more than happy when Aaron had finally found something she could approve of. He kept cursing himself for not having come up with a better excuse to have a date with Aaron! And as soon as the damn present was finally dangling in the shopping bag, he immediately dragged Aaron to the next food selling place and ordered himself a HUGE plate of pome-frites. He managed to finish it just in time for the movie to start.

As soon as the movie starts though, he realises that it actually wouldn’t have been that serious, if he had missed a few minutes. When he had bought the tickets he’d just let Aaron choose without even caring to look at her pick.

Kevin: Well, I now know it was a mistake…

Although… now I can look at Aaron’s face as long as I want without having to fear that I’ll miss an important movie…!

He slowly turns towards Aaron a little to get a better look at her face and an amused smile crosses his face. Aaron is leaning forward and her expression shows that she’s deeply engrossed in what is happening on the screen.

At first, Kevin tries to do it secretly fearing that she would notice him staring but then he realises that Aaron probably has even forgotten that she’s currently inside a cinema and he just watches her comfortably. At some point she does notice though.

Aaron: (Abruptly turns her head in his direction) Kevin? Something the matter?

But as Kevin has unconsciously been leaning in to Aaron, their faces are now only inches apart. Aaron’s eyes widen slightly and Kevin swallows hard.

Kevin: Damn, I know I should be taking things slowly with her and all, but she’s making it damn difficult…! (Pulls back unwillingly, but then.) But, hell, cinemas are made for this kinda stuff!

And he slowly but surely bridges the gap between their faces. Realising his intention, Aaron’s eyes grow even wider but she’s too startled to move.

When their lips are just about to touch Kevin halts for a short moment again. He may have been a player, yes, but’s always had curtsy enough to let the girl decide whether she wants to be kissed or not.

And Aaron thankfully grabs the chance to slightly turn her head such that his lips meet with her cheek instead.

 

Scene 3: Internet, Skype

On the set: Aaron as TaeminsWings, Taemin as NamTei

TaeminsWings: Um, NamTei, can I ask you another question…?

NamTei: Of course! What would you like me to translate now?

TaeminsWings: It’s not about translating this time…

NamTei: Not? Then about what?

TaeminsWings: Um, you’re a guy, so I thought you might know… So, if a guy attempts to kiss a girl, how does one know, that the guy is serious??

Taemin: WTF?! Why does she want to know that?!

It did not actually happen to her, right…?

Naaah~

NamTei: Well, I think there are two possibilities: Either he’s being serious which means he likes the girl or he’s playing with her which means he made a bet with someone  or he just did it for fun, etc. I think it depends on the circumstances… like where, when, how… and especially on how the guy behaves afterwards!

TaeminsWings: At the cinema… while watching a movie… he blushed, averted his eyes, and excused himself to the restrooms…

NamTei: Well, that sounds a lot like the first case to me…

Taemin: Wait… So this really happened to her?!!!

NamTei: Who was it?

TaeminsWings: Huh?

NamTei: It’s obvious that someone did that to you. Who was it?

Aaron: Ahaha, I guess it was too obvious…!

TaeminsWings: Um… Kevin…

Taemin (getting angry): Him again?!!! How DARE he!!! That bastard…!!!

NamTei: Where did he kiss you?

Aaron (blushing): Gosh, why is he asking this…?!

TaeminsWings: My cheek; I turned my head just in time… Gosh, why are you asking such embarrassing things?! *><*

Taemin: WHAAT?!! So he was actually aiming for her LIPS?!!!

Okay, this does it!!!

Taemin jumps up, rushes out of the dorm and to Lee Soo Man’s office. He barges in without even knocking first. Luckily the president wasn’t in a meeting or else Taemin would have been in trouble.

(Entry: Lee Soo Man)

Taemin (dead serious): Sajang-nim, I’m taking the next few days off!

Lee Soo Man: I’m sorry, Taemin, that is not possible. You can’t just—

Taemin (still serious): I didn’t come to ask for your permission. I’m just telling you, so you won’t send out to search for me. Bye.

With that he turns around and storms out of the office again. Well, now he is in trouble anyway…

 

---------------------------

I know I should have been updating a loooooong time ago!! And I'm VERY SORRY I haven’t!! ><

There was just so much happening lately (like school started again and, surprise surprise, I had been a bit too lazy during the break :| and we had to put our cat to sleep :,( so I wasn't feeling very motivated in general...)

Well, but now I finally finished the next chapter...! Hope you enjoyed it *^^*