30th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Europe, on the train from Interlaken to Zurich

On the set: Aaron, other passengers

After they had left the hospital, they had met up with the rest of the production team again to discuss their further plans. Because the doctor had ordered Taemin to rest, filming had now become pretty much impossible. Also, because it was better for Taemin to just go directly to the airport instead of travelling all the way to Leukerbad and back again, some of the crew had to go and get his things in his stead as well as the belongings of the rest of the production team and all the technical equipment. Also, someone needed to find a hotel near the airport for Taemin and those who went with him to spend the night.

But it all had been organised quickly and half of the production Team had boarded the train headed for Zurich Airport while the others had gotten onto the train back to Leukerbad. They had also bid goodbye to Aaron and had thanked her for her help. But of course, Taemin had impressed on her via SMS that she should absolutely fallow him and that she must get on the same train as he does. He had also written her that he had told Kihyun to secretly get her stuff from her room in Leukerbad as well, so she needn't worry about that either. And in the end, Aaron had complied with his wish and had gotten onto the same train as Taemin. But instead of travelling first class, like Taemin and the production team do, she had boarded two waggons further back in the second class. After all, she doesn't have a company paying for her travel expenses!

Aaron looks out of the window and over the lake that is flies past her. In about 45 minutes they will be in Bern, where they’ll need to change trains, and from there it is only about another hour until Zurich.

Aaron (sighing): Two hours... I just hope he won't be in too much pain from having to sit all the time... Then again, I read on the Internet just now that sitting up makes it easier to breathe than lying down... (Sighs again and turns her head into the direction of Taemin's waggon) I wonder how he's doing... He keeps assuring me that he’s okay in his messages, but without seeing his face I just can't know for sure...! (Bites her nails) Should I just go and check it out? Maybe I can sneak up on them or even get a glance at Taemin's face... (Ponders for a moment but then dismisses the thought again) Naw, it wouldn't work. I'm still wearing the same clothes; they would recognise me in an instant. And then we'd really be in trouble!

In the end, Aaron slumps back in her seat defeated. And resigning to the fact that there's really nothing she can do except for waiting for Taemin's messages, she plugs in her earphones and listens to some music. Thank God, Taemin is a singer. That way she can at least listen to his voice even when he is not talking to her.

She closes her eyes and leans back into her seat, completely immersing herself in the music. She's always loved doing that; to shut everything else out and only concentrate on the music and his voice that resounds in her head. Somehow, it has a soothing effect that helps her calm down and relax. To the point where she even uses it when she can't fall asleep.

And today she as well can’t escape the almost magically calming effect Taemin’s voice has on her and she really falls asleep.

The next time she lifts her eyelids again, she notices a pair of legs sitting on the seat opposite of her and she gathers that they must have already passed the next station.

The consequences of that slowly appearing in her mind, she suddenly shoots up.

Aaron (a little panicky): Oh God, where are we? Have we already passed Bern?! Aish, stupid me! Why did I have to fall asleep?! (Turns to the screen that always announces the next stop and, upon reading the name, breathes out relieved) Phew! We only just passed Spiez…!

But then her head snaps around in surprise again when she hears an all too familiar voice.

Familiar voice (amused): Wow, you're really something! Falling asleep in a public place without a care in the world! (Aaron just stares at him, speechless) Look! If I weren't such an honest person, you'd be in serious trouble now!

Aaron just silently lowers her eyes to follow his gaze. And to her utter mortification, on his lap she recognises her own bag, wide open for him to look at all the embarrassing stuff she carries in there!

Her head shoots up again to looks at his face. And judging from his smug expression he has already done that thoroughly!

Taemin (while holding her purse open in his hands and looking at Aaron with an amused yet happy smile): You carry a photo of me around with you in your purse?

Aaron (while squeezing her eyes shut and lunging for her bag and purse): Yahhh~!

Really, she could just die now from the embarrassment!

But having a generous moment, Taemin lets Aaron snatch back her bag from his grasp without resisting and Aaron quickly stashes away the disagreeable object by putting it behind her back.

Aaron (in an effort to talk about something else): But what are you doing here? Won't the others look for you?!

Taemin: I told them I'd go to the toilet...

Aaron (with a certain irony as she stares at him in disbelieve): Well, then they've definitely gotten suspicious by now; no one stays that long on a toilet!

And as if on cue, Taemin's cell phone starts ringing.

He takes it out of his pocket and checks the caller ID, before he looks up to Aaron sheepishly.

Taemin: It's the director... Hehehe...

Aaron: Didn't I tell you? (And when she sees Taemin pocketing his phone again; with her eyes widening) Yah! What are you doing?! Aren't you going to answer it?!

But Taemin just shrugs and shakes his head, making Aaron look at him even more dumbfounded.

Aaron: Yah! You can't just not answer! They'll be worried!

Taemin (still unfazed): Nah... why would they? I mean where would I go on an already moving train?

Having to admit that he has a point, Aaron pouts.

Aaron (yet not wanting to give in): But still...! They're responsible for you, aren't they? And you're injured! Anyone would worry if an injured person suddenly disappeared! At least send them a message or something! (Looks at Taemin pleadingly)

Taemin (chuckling): And what would I write them? "Sorry guys, I'll be right back. I'm just staying with my girlfriend for a little while"?

Aaron wants to reply something smart and level-headed but hearing Taemin calling her his girlfriend any witty answer vanishes from her mind without a trace. She bites her lips and lowers her head to hide the giddy smile that is threatening to destroy her logical argumentation.

But her efforts are in vain because Taemin notices it nonetheless.

Taemin: You like it that much? My girlfriend? (Emphasises on the last word)

Aaron (in a useless attempt to keep at least a little bit of her dignity): Shut up...

Still, she can't help but blush madly at his words. Of course, she likes it! How could she not?

Taemin (teasingly): Awww, my Wings is blushing!

Aaron just buries her face in her hands. And as soon as she does so, Taemin's teasing smile turns loving. He reaches out his hand and gently ruffles her hair.

Taemin (with his smile clearly audible in his voice): You're so cute when you're embarrassed. Makes me want to hug you…

Aaron peeks up from behind her fingers, only to see Taemin tilting his head a little and looking at her intently.

Taemin (smiling softly): Won’t you sit next to me? Since I’m a patient and all...? (Throws her a sly glance)

And unable to refuse, Aaron switches to the seat next to Taemin. She sits onto the edge of the seat, her back straight and her eyes focused on her hands that are neatly folded in her lap. Suddenly, she's feeling a little self-conscious.

Taemin looks at her and chuckles.

Taemin: Yah, why are you so stiff? Come on. Loosen up a little.

And he puts his arm around her shoulder and tilts his head to get a better look at her face. But it only makes Aaron feel even shyer and she starts kneading her lips while her heart rate is slowly but surely reaching the critical level. Taemin leans in even closer and Aaron starts having difficulties to breathe. And when he stops only millimetres away from her lips, she’s already holding her breath.

She doesn’t know herself why she’s suddenly feeling so nervous but she can’t even look into Taemin’s eyes. Images from the kiss on the observatory deck flash in front of her inner eye and she squeezes her eyes shut.

Aaron: Is he going to kiss me again? He’s going to kiss me!! Omg! What am I going to—

Her minor panic attack gets cut short when she feels Taemin’s breath on her lips as he exhales and then a soft smooch on her right cheek. Her eyes flutter open and finding Taemin’s face gone from her field of vision she finally manages to breathe again.

Taemin (looking at her with an amused smile): Yah, why are you being so tense all of a sudden? (Chuckles) We even already kissed…

At the mention of the kiss Aaron’s head whips towards Taemin and she stares at him mortified. But then her eyes fall on his lips and Taemin gets to watch her already rosy cheeks turn even redder. Realising this, Aaron quickly covers her face with one hand and fans her hot face with the other.

Aaron (utterly embarrassed): Oh God, what’s wrong with me? (Fans herself some more) Aish, this is so embarrassing!

She glances up to Taemin. But she can't keep it up for long and has to look away again.

Aaron (trying to find an explanation for her behaviour): I think it just finally hit me; that this is all real… That I got… that I got myself a…

Taemin (smiling): A boyfriend.

Aaron slumps a little, as if even the last bit of strength in her waist has left her.

Aaron (still looking down): Oh God, I think I’m all jelly right now…! (Takes a deep breath to calm herself and looks up to Taemin again. Slowly and with a smile on her lips, she whispers still with a bit of awe) My boyfriend. Namja chingu. You are my boyfriend now. (Then, a small frown forms on her forehead) Yah, how is this going to work?

Taemin (with his expression also turning serious): We’ll make it work. Somehow. (Gives her one of his adorable lopsided smiles) It’s not like we’re the first ones in a long-distance relationship, right?

Aaron (with the smile slowly conquering her lips too): I guess not.

For a moment they just look at each other. Then, Aaron exhales.

Aaron (still looking at Taemin): Wow. This is just so unbelievable…! How in the world did exactly I get picked? Out of the 7 billion people that live on this planet, why exactly me? Isn’t this too much of a coincidence?

Taemin: Well, isn’t it like that for everyone? (Aaron frowns a little confused and his smile broadens) Why does me being an idol make it a coincidence for you? Aren’t I just as lucky to have been chosen by you? (Chuckles upon seeing the unsure expression on Aaron’s face and gently puts a strand of her hair behind her ear) For me the miracle is that you somehow stumbled over KPop and liked it. That you chose to be exactly my fan and that you fell in love with exactly me. Isn’t it you who picked me and made it a coincidence for me? (Chuckles at how Aaron looks at him as if he’s lost his mind but then turns serious again) That’s why you should know this: I will never let go of you. Until you let go first, I will never let go of your hand! So, don’t you dare go looking at other men while I’m gone! (Playfully raises his finger at her) I’m warning you!

Aaron gives a solemn nod but then she squints her eyes at Taemin.

Aaron: Actually, shouldn’t I be the one warning you? You’re the one who’s working with beautiful women everyday…!

Taemin (amused): Hogshi… are you jealous?

Aaron (a little huffed): No, of course not! Why would I be?

Taemin (suddenly serious): That’s good.

Aaron (confused and maybe also a little hurt): Huh?

Taemin: It’s good that you’re not jealous. Because you’ll only get hurt… (Sighs upon seeing Aaron’s frown) Listen, my Wings. This is important now. I don’t want you to get hurt because of my work. But I am an idol and the press loves to invent stories about us. The more scandalous the better. And I’m bound to be working with those beautiful women, as you call them, in the future. Even more than now because the company will probably go for a more adult image as we grow older. Netizens will inevitably pair me up with one or the other and I won’t be able to stop the rumours from reaching your ear. I know you already know all that but in those kind of situations the heart tends to ignore the mind’s words. I will try my best to give you as less insecurity as possible but there will be situations for sure where I will be powerless. Where I can’t call you or where a call won’t seem enough anymore to redeem myself. (Takes a breath) That’s why, let’s make a promise right here. If you tell me that you can’t do this kind of relationship anymore, if you tell me that it hurts you too much, then I promise I will let you go. But! I have a condition. Don’t break up with me because you’re feeling insecure about my sincerity. Because, I’m telling you right now, that will never be the case. And if for some absurd reason I really would lose interest in you, I would tell it straight to your face. I have manners enough to do that. So, instead, when you feel like you can’t take it anymore, tell me and we’ll meet up. Can you promise me that?

For a moment, Aaron just stares back at him stunned. But then she blinks and swallows.

Aaron (still a little awed): Wow, I think this is the longest I heard you talk until now…!

Taemin (suddenly feeling a bit embarrassed): Well, I’ve been thinking about this little speech for two days now, so…

Aaron (surprised): Two days?

Taemin (gives a small nod and looks down): Yes. Since the time I did the skydiving and decided to give us a chance. (Looks up into Aaron’s eyes again) But I also made a promise with myself. Which was that I would never let you get hurt. I don’t want to become the reason why you’re hurting. So, I thought we should make that promise… What do you think about it?

Aaron (after thinking about it for a moment): I think it’s a good idea…

Taemin (with a small but expectant smile): So, you promise?

Aaron (a bit dull but also smiling): Yes I promise.

Taemin (now smiling broadly again): Thank you, my Wings. I promise, too. (Reaches into the pocket of his pants and takes something out) And this shall be the token of my promise.

He wraps his arms around Aaron’s neck for a moment and she feels something small and cold fall onto her chest. She looks down and finds a silver heart with wings dangling on a silver chain.

Aaron (puzzled): What…?

Taemin: It’s the proof that you guard my heart and my wings. If you turn it around there is the signature I promised you yesterday morning.

Carefully Aaron turns the pendant around and, really, there is Lee Taemin’s signature engraved on it. For several seconds she just stares at it speechlessly.

Taemin: Do you like it?

Aaron (almost whispering): It’s beautiful… (Looks up to Taemin) But… when did you get this?

Taemin (a little bashfully): I went to order it yesterday afternoon after the paragliding and just now, when you were already at the hospital, I went to pick it up and engraved it… (Scratches his neck and looks to the side)

Aaron (still unable to take her eyes of it): Really? So that was where you had to go no matter what?

Taemin: Well, that too… I also went to the church…

Aaron (finally looking up): To church?

Taemin (still not meeting her eyes): I went to pray that we would turn out alright. And that me falling in love with you won’t bring you sorrow. But that I will have the strength to make you happy.

Aaron (while looking down and blushing madly): God, how can you say things like that so easily?!

Taemin: Don’t worry, I’m feeling embarrassed enough…!

Aaron: Eh? But it doesn’t show at all! You’re still as handsome as ever and not even blushing!

Taemin: Well, take a look at my ears… I bet they’re almost glowing...!

Aaron leans a little forward and slowly raises her hand to push aside the hair covering his ears.

Aaron (surprised): Omg, you’re right! (Smiles at him and laughs) So cute!

But Taemin just turns his face away and now Aaron can see the embarrassment in his expression clearly. And realising that she is the one to do that to him, she can’t help but smile happily. Her hand moves to again and she touches the winged heart pendant.

Aaron (searching Taemin’s eyes): Really, thank you so much! Namtei… (Looks at the pendant again) It’s going to be my treasure.

 

 


Hey everyone!!

Omg, it's been such a long time since I last updated!! >< But now my exams are over and I am back among the living!! Wohooo~ *throws confetti* XDD (Though, I think I will have to retake them... *sigh* T_T ) Anyway, I hope I can now update a bit more often again! ^.^ I really want to! I missed writing a lot and my fingers kept itching to write when in fact I should have been learning or sleeping... hehe ^^