16th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

 

Scene 1: Europe Aarons's room

On the set: Aaron

Aaron's sitting in front of her laptop that's still playing the talk show featuring SHINee but the volume is on mute. The call with NamTei has just ended and she lays the phone down on the table.

Aaron: 'Just do whatever you feel is right and you’ll be fine'? What's with this answer? That's not what I wanted to hear...

But to be honest, Aaron couldn't say what kind of answer she had been looking for either. It's just that when Kevin had kissed her, images of Taemin along with her conversations with NamTei had flashed through her mind and she just felt that she had to talk to NamTei first. Although she has no idea why, she can't shake off the feeling that the answer lays with him...

She frowns and massages her temples.

Aaron: God, why am I even this confused to begin with...? Why am I even looking for this so-called answer?  Isn't Kevin a nice guy? Kind... caring... attentive... funny... smart... Why am I hesitating? Didn't my heart skip a beat that day he caught me in his arms when I jumped from that tree? Didn't I enjoy our date today? And what does this all have to do with NamTei and Taemin? Okay, Taemin's probably because he's my bias and just (sighs) way too handsome... But NamTei? I admit that we've gotten really close lately and that I really like him a lot... But he's just a friend I've met on the Internet...! (And talked to over the phone...)

...

Right?

...

Haha, no way...! Now, that thought is just ridiculous! There's no way I could like him that way...! I haven't even met him once! No way... no way...

Aaron leans back while laughing at her ridiculous idea and her eyes fall on the screen of her laptop.

Aaron: Omo, it's continuing!

She puts the volume up again and focuses fully on the show; gladly welcoming the distraction from her thoughts.

It’s easier to worry about an idol that you have no real connection with than about your own problems.

Aaron: Damn, pan over to Taemin already, stupid cameraman! I need to know how he's doing!

But they just don't want to grant her that wish, or so it seems. Because either it is a close-up of the other members or the MC or then a shoot of the whole studio but with Taemin being just out of the picture.

Aaron to her laptop: Aish, this director! Do you have something against Taemin?!

The longer the show goes on and fails to show Taemin's face the more worried and angrier Aaron gets. And when the MC says his goodbyes and four SHINee members bow smiling, Aaron can't believe it anymore. For the whole third part of the show, Taemin's face was not shown even once!

Aaron (hissing): You've got to be kidding me! How can they just cut out one of the members?! Does that director want to be fired?! Aisht!

Angrily, Aaron hits the Skype sign and goes to her conversation with Carole.

Aaron: Hey Carole, have you watched *insert talk show name* just now too?

It only takes a few minutes until the reply appears.

(Entry: Carole on Skype as donutinlove)

Carole: Hey! Yes, I have! Do you know what happened to Taemin after the second commercial?

Aaron: No! That's what I wanted to ask you! I'm gonna kill that bastard of a director! How dare he cut out my Taemin?!!!

Carole: Ehh? So he was actually there? And the director deliberately cut him out of the picture?

Aaron: Of course! Why else would he not appear for the whole last part?!

Carole: Well, I just thought that maybe something happened to him...?

Aaron mumbling to herself: Oh my God, I totally didn’t think of that...! Maybe the thing that was bothering him before got even worse...!

Omg! You might actually be right! I mean, he WAS acting all strange during the first two parts of the show...! You don't know anything either, right?

Carole: No...

Aaron: God, I just hope he's alright and that it's nothing serious...!

Carole: Yeah. :(

Hey, um... Am I being too much of a busybody, if I ask what happened yesterday...?

Aaron: So, you DID know about it…!

Carole: Ehehe, sorry… *apologetically smiling emoticon*

So? Am I a busybody…?

Aaron: Um no… but…

Carole: …you didn’t give him a clear answer…

Aaron: …no…

Carole: Okay, this is not working; I can’t discuss something like this with you without seeing your face…! Do you want to sleep over at my place today?

Aaron: Sleep over at Carole’s place…? But that’s going to be one hell of an embarrassing sleep over…! (Bites her lower lip) On the other hand, I really need someone to discuss this all through with…

Okay… I’ll come…

Carole: Yay! I’ll be waiting… :)

Aaron: Gosh, this is so embarrassing!! *><*

Carole: ^.^ So cuuute…!

Aaron: *troubled emoticon*

Carole: Alright, alright! Just come over!

 

Scene 2: Europe, Carole’s room

On the set: Aaron, Carole

Carole is listening quietly while Aaron recounts the events from the previous day. They are sitting on Carole’s bed and Aaron is holding onto the blanket so that she could raise it to cover her face whenever embarrassment overcomes her. Carole, on the other hand, is sitting with her legs crossed and leaning forward giving the other girl her undivided attention. She has her elbows propped up on her legs and is resting her chin on her hands.

Carole (in an asserting way): So, you ran away…

Aaron pulls the blanket to her nose, lowers her eyes and nods. Carole just looks at her for a moment.

Carole: Why?

Aaron: Because it was too sudden… I didn’t know to react…

Carole: Because you didn’t know whether you like him back or not?

Aaron (hesitantly): …yes?

Carole: Or because you didn’t know how to tell him no…?

Aaron looks up, she hasn’t even thought of that possibility.

Aaron: I… (Thinking about it) I… I don’t know! (Sighs and buries her head in the blanket.)

Carole with a kind smile: Then, let me ask it in another way. What or who did you think about the moment Kevin asked you?

Carole watches Aaron with increasing curiosity as the latter slowly peeks over the blanked and upon meeting Carole’s gaze averts her eyes embarrassed.

Carole (encouragingly): Hmmm?

Aaron: Ahhh, that’s the part I didn’t want to say the most! ‘Cause it’s just ridiculous!!

(Into the blanket) Taemin and NamTei…

Carole: Aigoo, stop talking to my blanket!

She smiles and gently tugs at it. Reluctantly, Aaron lets go.

Carole (still smiling): So? Who were you thinking of?

Aaron (mumbling while turning her head to the side): Taemin and NamTei…

Carole: I knew it! That’s why I told you that you stand no chance…! (Directed towards Kevin)

But then Carole still turns a little contemplative.

Carole: NamTei, yes. Him I had expected to be in the picture. But, Taemin? True, he is her bias. And forbidden handsome… (Though nothing compared to his fashionable hyung…  (Dreamy smile)) But we are still only fans… They don’t even know we exist. That is why, for the sake of our own hearts, we should always make sure that our feelings never become more than a crush… Because they are not someone that we could claim as our own. Because they are idols. And belong to everyone…

But I guess I didn’t know that that changed for her…

(Looks at the embarrassed and lost girl in front of her)

And it looks like she doesn’t know yet either…

 

Scene 3: Seoul, SMent building, in front of Lee Soo Man’s office

On the set: SHINee minus Taemin; he is inside the office

It’s the day after the talk show and Taemin got called to the president’s office first thing in the morning. Obviously because of what had happened the previous evening.

Naturally his hyungs insisted on accompanying to the president’s office. Even though Taemin had argued that it wasn’t necessary. But as they were worried, seriously worried, for their maknae, they followed nonetheless.

Yesterday, they had in vain tried to get Taemin to tell them where he had been for the whole third part of the show. And especially why he had been absent.

But Taemin had not uttered a single word. He had turned away from them, gotten into the car, and stared out the window. Occasionally, his hands would curl up into fists and his expression would turn hard and somewhat angry or pained. But then he would close his eyes, breath in deeply, and relax his hands again. And his expression would be back to showing but one emotion: determination. It was like he was fighting himself. Or as if he was desperately trying to convince himself of something.

So, there was no way, his hyungs would let him go alone like that. And when the door opened again and Taemin and their manager stepped out, they immediately wanted to know how it went, what Lee Soo Man had asked, and so on.

(Entry: Taemin, SHINee’s manager)

Taemin (not meeting their eyes): Nothing. Let’s go. (Walks away)

The others turn to their manager but he also just shakes his head and sighs.

Manager: He wouldn’t say anything… He just promised not to do it again… In the end the president had to let it go… Anyway, we’ll continue with our schedule as planned… So, you go to the meeting room, I’ll follow right away.

They nod and head off.

 

Scene 4: Seoul, SMent building, (in front of the) meeting room

On the set: SHINee

In front of the meeting room, Onew, Jonghyun, Key, and Minho find Taemin leaning on the wall. They had gotten themselves some drinks and had bought Taemin also one. They hand it to him and then, together, they enter the meeting room.

Upon entering and seeing the cameras, Taemin automatically puts on a happy expression like he had promised the president.

They sit down at the table and start speculating about the reason for this meeting. Just then, their manager enters from the back door and also sits down.

SHINee: Anyeonghaseyo

Manager: Your album is coming out soon, right?

SHINee agrees and Key and Taemin take a sip from their drinks.

Manager: At the company, we were really worried about this…

Key (joking sceptically): What are you going to make us do?

Jonghyun (laughing): I’m nervous…!

Manager: When you’re preparing an album, it’s the busiest time. (Again agreeing comments form SHINee) So, at this busiest time, the company… (Meaningful pause for the sake of the suspense effect for the video footage) Decided to give you a holiday.

(A/N: Please watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_kYTut-8-Q from 01:10 to 03:27 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcr--9Odqfg from 01:15 to 03:31 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkjx9GAyw0E from 01:29 to 03:46 as reference! ^.^)

 

-----------------------

Switzerland, here we come!! Nyahaha Finally! ;P