11th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Europe, university campus

On the set: Taemin, students

Taemin is sitting at a desk outside a lecture hall pretending to be absorbed in the book lying in front of him while the students from the biology core course emerge from the doors and head towards their next lecture. His eyes travel searchingly across the faces of the stream of students. The whole morning he’s already been sitting there and waiting for the breaks when a certain girl would leave the lecture hall to stretch her legs a little.

The time in between, he would pass by either chatting with that certain girl or by debating on whether he should tell that girl that he is just in front of her lecture hall or not. And every time the bell rang signaling the end of a lecture he would have come to a different conclusion. He isn’t making progress at all…

Suddenly a group of girls passes by his table closer than the others and Taemin doesn't miss the curious glances he's receiving. He casually pulls up his scarf even higher...

(Entry: Girl 1, 2, 3)

Girl 1: ... you seen the news about Minho?!

Girl 2: What news?

Girl 3: About his co-actress from To the Beautiful You; apparently they were seen at a café together! And the filming of To the Beautiful You has already ended ages ago!!

Girl 2: No way...! That !!!

Girl 1 and 2 nod their heads in fierce agreement.

(Exit: Girl 1, 2, 3)

Taemin: All he did was accompany her to a cup of coffee though... Because they'd run into each other while shopping... A very ordinary occurrence, no...? (Sighes) But I guess these girls are not the only ones to react that way…

But his unhappy thoughts immediately get pushed aside, when a certain girl steps out of the lecture hall. She’s wearing beige pants that reach just below her knees and an airy tree green blouse. Thereto matching green and aquamarine flats and a pendant and earrings of the same colour to go with it. The light brown jacket is she carrying over her arm.

(Entry: Aaron, Carole, Kevin)

She’s agitatedly talking with her two friends; probably ranting on about this impossible prof of hers that she’s also complained to him about during their chat. They all head to the staircase and just when the girl is about to take the first step she turns her head back to the other girl and inevitably misses the step.

She helplessly flails her arms and Taemin jumps up from his chair.

But before he even gets to take even one step into her direction, the guy beside her has already caught her by her waist and put her back on both feet.

Taemin frowns but sits back down with a sigh. With a disturbing feeling in his guts he watches the girl descend the stairs; the guy at her side now attentively watching her every step.

 

Scene 2: Europe, university campus

On the set: Taemin, Kevin, Aaron, Carole

Taemin has seen Aaron and her two friends walking around often enough to be almost one hundred per cent sure that the blond-head who is now waving goodbye to the two girls and then walks into the other direction is this Kevin guy.

(Exit: Aaron, Carole)

So when Aaron and the other girl are out of sight, Taemin quickly approaches Kevin. After thinking about it over and over again, he’s concluded that he needed to talk to this guy before he could make a final decision.

Taemin: Excuse me, but you are Kevin, am I right?

Kevin looks curiously at the stranger who appeared in front of him so suddenly.

Kevin: Yes, that is my name… Why are you looking for me?

Taemin: Um, may I invite you to a cup of tea or coffee?

Again, Kevin eyes Taemin for a second but then, he isn’t the type to turn down an invitation. Especially if it comes from such an interesting person.

Kevin: Sure. Where should we go?

Taemin: How about that one?

He (intentionally) points at the most expensive location on the whole campus. During the last three days, Taemin has become an expert in what concerned buying food on this campus. Be it cafeteria, launch, or café; he now knows all their menus by heart.

They both buy some beverage and then head for one of the tables at the window.

Kevin (while looking at Taemin who is staring out the window): So, why are you looking for me? (Takes a sip)

Taemin (still looking out the window): I will come straight to the point, if you don’t mind.

Kevin (getting more curious by the second): Please do…

Taemin: In fact I only have one question I’d like you to answer me. And I’d like you to answer it honestly…?

Kevin (after giving a hesitant nod): And that question is?

Taemin: (Now turning to look straight into Kevin’s eyes.) What are your feelings towards Aaron?

Kevin (choking): Ex-caugh-caugh-cuse me? Caugh. What did you say?

Taemin (earnestly): As I said. My only concern is to know what Aaron truly means to you.

Kevin: And why would I tell you?! I don’t even know who you are!

Taemin: I, uh, am a close friend of Aaron’s brother; we studied together. He asked me for this favour because he is currently unable to meet you himself.

Phew! Glad I thought of this excuse beforehand…!

Kevin: Aaron did say that her brother went on a trip…

Taemin: So, what should I tell Aaron’s brother?

Kevin thinks for a second and then looks at Taemin.

Kevin (earnestly): Tell him that I’m serious about his sister. I know I played around with girls before. But Aaron is different. Those other girls were always fun to be with but with Aaron it feels like I am home… (Scratches his neck embarrassed) Also, since I met Aaron I haven’t gone out with those girls even once… And I don’t plan to do so again in the future either. So you can tell Aaron’s brother that he needn’t worry; until Aaron pushes me away herself I won’t leave her side.

Kevin has to avert his eyes; somehow the stare of this stranger is just too piercing to bear…

Kevin (when Taemin remains silent even after some seconds have passed): Does this satisfy your question?

Finally, Taemin snaps out of his thoughts and he straightens up.

Taemin (not being able to look into the other guy’s eyes either): Yes, this is what I wanted to know… Thank you for lending me your time. Also, please do not mention this to Aaron. She wouldn’t like her brother meddling in her affairs.

He then gives a small bow and walks out of the place.

Taemin while walking aimlessly: Yes, that is what you wanted to know. Although it is not what you wanted to hear…

Even though you already knew that that would be his answer…

--- Taemin Flashback ---

During lunch break.

For a reason unknown to Taemin that other girl, Carole as Taemin has found out, is absent. Aaron and Kevin had decided to eat their lunch outside and had chosen to sit down beside a fountain so that they have something to drink, too.

Taemin attentively watches them from behind a tree while chewing on his own lunch sandwich.

At some point, Kevin gets up to drink some water from the fountain. But after he’s stilled his thirst, instead of sitting back down again he chooses to spray some water on Aaron.

Aaron: Kyaaaa~! What are you doing?!

Kevin just looks at her innocently. Thus Aaron decides to pay him back equally and before they know it they are engaged in a playful water-battle. Aaron is having the time of her life; a huge smile spreading from ear to ear while she attempts to get some water on the guy.

The battle is abruptly cut off though, when the bell rings. Aaron and Kevin both halt in their movements and look at each other with caught expressions.

Aaron: Crap, we’re gonna be laaaaaate~!

She hurriedly collects all their stuff while Kevin takes off his shirt.

Taemin (mumbling): What the is that guy doing?!!

When Aaron looks up again and sees his bare chest, her cheeks immediately flush red.

Aaron while averting her eyes: Y-Yah! W-what are you doing?

Instead of answering her, Kevin just walks over to her and starts drying her hair with his shirt.

Taemin curses under his breath.

Kevin (somewhat shy): You’ll catch a cold…

Aaron (awkwardly): Uh, thanks…

Then, Kevin backs off again and picks up the remaining stuff.

Kevin (jokingly to ease the awkward atmosphere): Hehe, the prof is going to be delighted having us drenching his chairs…!

And laughing, they both run off towards the lecture hall.

--- End of Flashback ---

See, how happily she laughs when she is with him…? And he is right here by her side… He lives in the same world as she does…

Unlike me… who lives on the other side of the earth and in a world completely different from hers… I am an idol with whom, if you are a girl, even the slightest interaction is considered a scandal and whose fans would call her a just for being friends with me…

He remembers the scene from earlier.

So in the end, me revealing my identity to her would only bring her hardship and pain…

So, stop being so selfish, Lee Taemin…! You knew it wasn’t going to be easy… You knew that it wasn’t going to be for free… That there would be things you had to sacrifice… But you accepted that as the price you need to pay for getting to where you are now and where you will be in the future!

That’s why, stop wishing for a miracle and let it go… She will be happier… not knowing about you…

Besides, he will take good care of her…

But somehow just that thought seems to be the one that bothers him most.

Taemin then takes out his phone and dials a number.

Taemin (in a tired voice): Please come get me… I want to go home… (Hangs up)

But why does it hurt so much then? Why is it so hard to let it go…?

(Slumps onto a bench he passes and buries his face in his hands, drained.)

So much harder than all the times before…?

-----

Fifteen hours later a disguised figure exits Incheon Airport through the front gate. He gazes at the familiar scenery and can’t help but feel like he’s just stepped into another dimension. Although his brain, his eyes, ears and his nose tell him that he recognises this place and that this is where he belongs, his heart seems to believe otherwise.

Everything appears unreal and distant; the nice summer breeze feels cold. The usual sense of returning home just won’t settle with him.

An employee approaches him tentatively with a pen and paper, hoping to have recognised the person beneath the high-collar summer coat, sunglasses, and hat correctly. But when he doesn’t respond to her at all, not even when she touches his arm, she walks away disappointed.

Employee: Oh well, it would have been too much to ask the Goddess of luck to let me meet HIM here, right…?

Next, a middle-aged man runs up to the guy and pulls him around.

(Entry: SHINee's manager)

Man (still out of breath): Seriously, Taemin! What in the world are you thinking going through the MAIN gate?! What if you get recognised! I’ve been looking for you all over the airport! And what the hell were you doing in Europe?!! Do you even know what a MESS you've created?!

Taemin (confused yet indifferent): This is the main gate…?

Manager (stupefied): You didn’t notice?!

Taemin (absentminded): No…

The manager gapes at Taemin in disbelieve. But that quickly changes to concern, when he realises that Taemin is not playing a prank on him (which he seldom does anyway).

Manager (wondering): Just what has happened for this usually cheerful and determined kid to become this depressed and lost?

He shakes his head and gently motions Taemin towards the waiting van.

 

----------------------------

Okay, I'd like to make just three statements:

First, please don't kill me? I promise it will get better!! ><

Second, assassinate girls who had to walk past the wrong table while sprouting unneeded information!

And last but not least: I hope you guys won't mind if I go and strangle that stupid moron for reaching such a retarded conclusion!

And nope, I'm not getting caught up in my own fanfic at all...! XD

BTW: Anyone seen the teaser for SHINee's new single Fire??? Gosh, I CAN'T wait for it to be released!!! XDDD Already the treaser looks and sounds soooo great!!! Kyaaaaa~! XD