31st Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Europe, Aaron’s bedroom

On the set: Aaron

When Aaron wakes up the next morning, in her own bed and like nothing happened, she can’t help but think that it all must have been but a dream. Wistfully, her hand moves to her chest even though she’s not really expecting the pendant she’s dreamed about to be there.

However, then her fingers touch something solid and cold and she immediately sits up straight. With utter disbelieve she stares at the winged heart pendant in her palm. Slowly she turns it around and right there it is; the signature she would even recognise in her sleep. Lee Taemin’s signature.

Aaron: No way… It wasn’t a dream…?! Then… Then he is really taking the eleven o’clock flight back to Seoul today?! (Glances at her wrist watch and curses) Half past eight already?! Holy—!

In the matter of minutes she jumps out of her bed, pulls some random clothes out of her wardrobe and throws them over, does her hair and make-up, and runs down the stairs.

Her mother, who is in the kitchen preparing coffee, looks up and smiles at Aaron.

Aaron’s mother: Good morning, Aaron, did you sleep well? When did you return yesterday evening? I didn’t hear you anymore. And how was your trip?

But Aaron is too much in a hurry to start a conversation. She just stuffs some bread and an apple into her bag before she grabs her sneakers and a jacket. She even barely remembers to brush her teeth and pick up her cell phone from the recharger.

Aaron (between rinsing with water and a bit of toothpaste as she’s got no time to brush her teeth properly): Sorry, mom! I’m in a hurry; I’ll tell you later! Bye!

And with that she’s already out the door.

 

Scene 2: Europe, Zurich Airport

On the set: Taemin, production team, passer-bys

It’s about half past ten, which means about one and half an hour until their departure and the entire production team is watching Taemin from the corner of their eyes. They’ve already checked in their luggage ages ago and would have long been waiting at their gate, if not for Taemin who strictly refuses to go through the pass control just yet. He looks really restless, keeps checking his mobile, and if not for his broken ribs, he would have probably been pacing back and forth the whole time.

And when he finally smiles relieved after he gets the anticipated message, the entire crew seems to relax as well.

Taemin announcing with a strangely happy grin for that mundane activity: I’ll be going to the bathroom real quick.

(Exit: Production team)

But as soon as he’s out of their sight, he changes his direction and walks towards the exit. His eyes are darting around, looking for certain girl. Finally, he spots her walking through the sliding doors. She has changed her pants for an orange dress with dark blue heels and a matching cardigan and bag. He can’t take his eyes off her.

(Entry: Aaron)

Aaron (a bit shy): Hi…

She has stopped in front of him but he is still just looking at her with a somewhat dazed and amazed expression. As if he still can’t completely believe it that she’s really there in front of him. Unknown to him Aaron feels exactly the same way.

Only when Aaron tilts her head and looks at him questioningly, he swallows and snaps out of it.

Taemin (smiling broadly, softly): Hi, my Wings…

Aaron (apologetic): I’m sorry, I’m late.

Taemin (shaking his head): It’s alright; there’s still enough time. (Smiles)

Aaron (frowning): Isn’t your flight at eleven o’clock?

Taemin nods.

Aaron (alarmed): But that’s already in one and half an hour! Which means boarding in about one hour! And you still need to go through the pass control! So, let’s go now!

She starts walking ahead but Taemin grabs her arm stopping her.

Taemin (smiling at her): My crew members are waiting there for me…

Aaron (realising): Oh… (Turns back around to him) Then I guess I’ll have to say goodbye here, huh?

She gives him a lopsided smile.

Taemin: I’m sorry. I wish I could just take you with me.

Aaron with a wistful smile: Yeah, that’d be great… But at least you’re taking my heart with you. That’s better than nothing, right?

Taemin (raising his eyebrows with a big grin): I am?

Aaron (nodding with lowered eyes and blushing): Mm-hmm.

Taemin (still smiling): I guess we’re even then; you’re keeping my heart and I’m taking yours with me.

Aaron: I guess so… Oh! But may I ask for something else?

Taemin (while tilting his head and looking curiously at her): Sure. What is it?

Aaron (a bit embarrassed): Can we take a picture together? So that Carole will believe me when I tell her of all this…

Taemin (smirking): Only for that reason?

Aaron (now hugely embarrassed): No… also so that I can look at it whenever I’m not sure anymore whether this all happened… (Bites her lips and looks away)

Taemin (chuckling): Alright! Give me your cell phone.

Aaron hands him her phone and he drapes his arm around her shoulder pulling her closer. Startled Aaron looks up to him but he just smiles at her and positions the phone.

Taemin: Smile…

Just before he presses the shutter Taemin gets an idea. He turns his head and kisses Aaron’s cheek. And in the short moment that Aaron is too surprised to move the picture is already taken.

Aaron (turning red quickly): Oh my God, now I will die of embarrassment every time I look at it!

Taemin (unfazed): Why, I think it came out quite nice. Your flustered expression is very cute!

And he quickly sends the picture to his own cell phone before Aaron snatches her phone back. She’s still blushing and not meeting Taemin’s eyes but the smile she’s trying to hide by biting her lips shows that her heart is actually overflowing with giddiness. And watching her Taemin can’t help but smile as well.

However, then their faces turn serious again.

Aaron (trying to keep her smile but failing miserably): I guess it’s time to say goodbye now; the others must already be looking for you…

Taemin (while trying to keep his voice cheerful to hide his sadness): You know what? Why don’t you just come with us? Didn’t you say you wanted to visit Korea anyway? This is the perfect chance!

Aaron (while pouting): Don’t make such tempting suggestions, I beg you! Lectures might be over for now, but I still have to work at the laboratory! I still have remaining holidays but I wanted to use them for Christmas…!

Taemin (with his tone softened): It’s okay. I was just voicing my wishes out loud. In fact it’s probably better if I go back alone first and sort things out with my boss…

Aaron: Right! I completely forgot for a moment that you have a public life over there. Will your boss be very angry that it will become a bit fake now?

Taemin: Like it wasn’t before! He won’t be pleased, that’s for sure, but he’ll have to live with it. Unless he wants to fire me (Raises his hands reassuringly as he sees Aaron’s shocked expression) but he’d be an idiot, if he did that. I mean, what would he tell our fans? So don’t worry, I’ll be fine!

Still, Aaron looks at him a sceptically. But then she shoots up again remembering something

Aaron: Ah! Talking about fine, how’s your rib doing?

She looks at his chest and raises her hand to touch it but then she stops because she’s scared she’d hurt him. Seeing that, Taemin smiles, takes her hand, and puts it on his chest.

Taemin: You worry way too much. I’m fine, see? (Watching Aaron bashfully lower her eyes at the contact and feeling the warmth spreading from her hand he feels his heart growing heavy) My Wings, may I hug you?

Surprised at the sudden change in his voice, Aaron looks up. And something about the way he looks at her makes her take a step towards him and carefully wrap her arms around his upper torso. The next moment she feels Taemin’s arms on her back and waist crushing her to him and she shortly wonders if it doesn’t hurt his rib. But then she inhales his particular scent and she is lost. How many times has she fantasised about Lee Taemin’s scent! But now she knows she didn’t even come close. It’s something between camomile and the fragrance of a forest in morning dew yet a million times better, but she can’t really tell. Her brain that is currently working in rather funny ways may partly responsible for that too.

Even when Taemin finally lets go of her again, it takes her a few heartbeats to clear her mind. Then she looks up to his eyes. They are looking right back at her. Soft and kind. It makes her feel warm all over. They might have spent but a little more than a day in each other’s company but right then Aaron realises that she will miss him terribly. Even before, when they chatted together and he wrote things like *hugs you* or *pats your head* she wished he would do it for real. But now that she knows what it actually feels like it will be even worse. Because now she will know what she’s missing.

Aaron sighs and thinking that it’s because she’s sad that they’re parting Taemin her hair affectionately wanting to console her.

Aaron (defeated): God, I’ll miss you.

Taemin (smiling lopsidedly): Me too… But we’ll chat every day and for your next break I’ll send you a ticket to Seoul!

The mention of the ticket conjures a small smile on Aaron’s lips.

Aaron: I meant I’ll miss feeling you beside me… Every time we’ll chat I will…

She has to lower her head because of the embarrassment from her confession. For a moment Taemin only looks at the downcast girl in front of him fighting his own emotions. How he wishes he could prolong his stay! Even if only for a single day.

But he can’t. Lee Soo Man will fry his already as it is. So, if he doesn’t want the little chance of Lee Soo Man accepting Aaron to evaporate into thin air, then he’d better give him no reason to think a girlfriend could get in the way of his work.

Taemin: Just why on earth did I have to fall for a girl that lives on the other side of the planet? (Closes his eyes for a second and shakes his head a little, as if to push aside that thought) It’s too late to think about that now or even regret it. I’ve already made my choice. I knew about all that, knew that it would be hard, and still I decided that I’d be strong enough. So now I can only make sure Aaron will be strong enough too.

He reaches out to her and puts one hand on her shoulder. With the other he touches her cheek making Aaron look up surprised.

Taemin (while looking at her intently): I will miss you too. Mani. (A/N: Korean for “a lot”.)

And then he bends down and presses his lips on hers.

 

 


Heyy, everyone~!!

How are you all doing? I know I haven't been here for a veeeery long time and I'm sincerely sorry for all of you who have supported me so far and are waiting for me to update! Reason is I have been concentrating a lot on my studies the past semester and somehow just couldn't find the time to visit AFF... It has nothing to do with you guys or AFF in itself; it's just a matter of how I decided to spend the little bit of free time I had during the semester. For those who'd like to know a bit more, I wrote an extra blog post about it: Three Months Absence.