18th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Switzerland, on a train

On the set: Taemin with crew, passer-bys

For the rest of the train ride, Taemin’s mind seems to be even further away than usual. He doesn’t remember to bring money to buy a drink from the vending machine when he has to change trains in Visp. He forgets to validate his ticket and the train conductress has to remind him that he needs to write down the date on it. And lastly he puts away his ticket without paying attention only to have a minor panic attack soon after while thinking that he has lost it…

But finally Taemin still arrives at his destination.

Initially he had planned to go skydiving today. But when he had stopped by in Interlaken they had told him that the weather wasn’t good enough and he’d had to change his plans. Not that he minds, though. Knowing that Aaron is in Bern today, a city he can easily visit without raising the crew’s suspicion; knowing that, every fibre in his body is screaming to go that way. So that is why he’s now spending today in the capital while he’s plan for skydiving is rescheduled for tomorrow.

Leaving the glass railway building, he walks around the town from one sight to the next and the filming crew barely has time to shoot some good footage. They have to ask him specifically if he could please stop for a moment and look into the camera to get anything at all. Naturally, they assume that it must be the postponement of his skydiving challenge that is making Taemin’s steps this restless.

Yet they are mistaken. Taemin simply is unable to push away the thought of him and Aaron being in the same town. At every corner he turns he has the futile hope that he might see her. And whenever he sees the back of a brown-haired girl that has about the stature of Aaron his heart swells with anticipation. Only to be deflated again as soon as he sees her face. It’s maddening.

Even for the internationally known Zytglogge-Tower he barely has a second glance to spare when the clock strikes; hoping to see the famous figure play. The only place where he can convince his feet to rest for a while is a shop selling all kinds of music instruments. First he browses through the store a little, looking at various items with interest before his ears perk up at the sound of a piano.

Seeing his favourite instrument, his fingers can’t help but itch to play it. But unfortunately, another customer is already sitting at it and trying it out. Though, actually he’s just sitting on the piano chair and hitting some keys while discussing something with his friends.

Taemin: Oh come on; get up already, if you only want to sit there! Others might want to play you know?

Finally the three men leave and he quickly sits down. He gently lets his fingertips slide over the black and white keys and starts playing ‘River Flows In You’.

People passing by the store and hearing his little performance interrupt their hurried steps to listen to him. Soon a little crowd gathers but Taemin doesn’t notice. He is getting completely lost in his play and also fails notice that the melody is slowly changing to a still unknown tune. Though, if one has been very observant, then one would recognise the melody as the same one as he had hummed the previous night while walking around Leukerbad.

After the last note has faded the small crowd acknowledges his skills him with a round of applause. Suddenly made aware of the attention, he gives a short embarrassed bow and hurriedly leaves the shop.

 

Scene 2: Switzerland, streets of Bern

On the set: Aaron, Carole, other classmates, Kevin, passer-bys

They have just been to visit the Bärengraben, a compound for bears (the heraldic animal of Bern) in the middle of the city, and are now hurrying along the streets of Bern’s old town. Aaron is slightly lagging behind because she feels it’s a shame to just walk past these historic facades without even looking at them once.

It doesn’t take long though and Kevin notices her absence. He turns around.

Kevin (shouting a little to bridge the distance): Aaron? What are you doing? Hurry up!! It’s almost four o’clock!! The figures on the Zytglogge only show every whole hour! Do you want to wait for another hour?!

(This is actually what Taemin had turned around for a while back.)

Aaron (shouting back): I’m coming! I’m coming! (To herself) Aish, what’s with this hurry?! Why can’t we just take our time?? It’s not like that stupid tower is going to suddenly grow legs and go for a walk…! Sheeze…

But she still follows after them.

She’s in the middle of catching up to the others, when she suddenly hears the sound of a piano.

A sound so beautiful, it makes her stop in her tracks. Completely spellbound, she redirects her steps towards where the music is coming from and eventually stops in front of a store. It looks though like she’s not the only one captivated by the play; people are already standing in- and outside of the store window and in the door frame.

So, even though Aaron can’t see who is creating this blissful sound, she can’t help but feel a certain sense of familiarity. And it’s not just because she recognises the piece. ‘River Flows In You’ is one of her favourite pieces and she’s listened to it many times before. But never has it given her this particular feeling.

She closes her eyes and slowly sways with the music.

Aaron: …It’s something… about the way it is played… Like I’ve heard this person play this piece before…

And suddenly she gets it. Her eyes snap open and a smile spreads on her lips.

Aaron (mouthing): Taemin…!

It sounds like Taemin’s live performance of ‘River Flows In You’ on MusicCore…!

Hmmm… I wonder what NamTei’s ‘River Flows In You’ sounds like…? He must have played it before…! Since he likes the piano so much…

(Chuckles)

Seriously you guys, why are you always in my thoughts lately? Now I even have to think of you when I merely hear the sound of a piano?

She shakes her head at herself but continues to listen. And suddenly, the tune goes over into a melody she doesn’t recognise. But, as impossible as it is, she likes this melody even better than ‘River Flows In You’.

Now, very interested, she tries to get a glimpse on the person playing the piano. It hasn’t happened often yet that she’s heard a tune she finds more beautiful than ‘River Flows In You’ and she wants to know what it’s called.

But it’s no use; there are just too many people.

And right then, Kevin shows up again.

Kevin (looking rather relieved to see her): Aaron! There you are!! We’ve been searching for you!! What are you doing??

(The music stopped just before Kevin arrived, so he didn’t hear anymore.)

Aaron: I—

Kevin: Let’s go already! Seriously, we’ll be late!

And he drags her away. Thus, Aaron fails to notice the guy with chestnut-coloured hair wearing a black jacket with a black shirt underneath, a colourful scarf, and a blue backpack leaving the store and walking down the street into the other direction…

 

Scene 3: Switzerland, Bern, evening, at the local Summer-Night-Market (A/N: Inconsistency #1: I changed the Christmas Market to a Summer-Night-Market… —.— (What the hell is a Summer-Night-Market??? =.=))

On the set: Taemin with crew, passer-bys

After eating dinner at a restaurant Taemin still hadn’t feel like going back to the hotel. Although the filming crew is pressing him to return soon, he knows he still has some time until the last train leaves. He just feels that this day has been all in vain.

So he keeps on wandering around the stalls of the Summer-Night-Market while seemingly looking at the goods for sale with a smile and pretending to be genuinely interested. When in reality he doesn’t even realise what he’s looking at and is saying just whatever. He randomly buys things, most of the times not even asking for the price.

Until he comes across a huge crowd. He cranes his neck to see what’s going on but to no avail. He pushes his way through the crowd until he spots a small blackboard standing on the ground. It says:

GLÜEHWEiN 5.50

ViN MOUSSEUX 8.—

WEiSSWEiN JOHANNiSBERG 5./25.—

SCHWARZTEE CHAï 4.—

KAFFEE 3.—

(Translation: Glühwein, Vin Mousseux, white wine Johannisberg, black tea chai, coffee)

(A/N: This is inconsistency #2: Glühwein in summer… =.= *sigh*When it is a beverage that belongs to the winter season and to the winter season only…!)

Taemin (reading only the first word): What is this? Glu… Gluewein? Is this how you read it?

But not being very confident in his pronunciation he just orders ‘the same thing”.

Man behind the counter (a little confused): Same?

The woman besides him seems to get it, though. But she has another problem.

Woman (to Taemin): How old are you?

No selling of alcohol to underage people…. (A/N: Poor Taeminnie~!!  The woman didn’t even give him 16 years on this planet…)

But when Taemin answers ‘20’ the woman gives him a cup without delay. He thanks them and walks away, the camera’s following him as usual.

Taemin (drawing a conclusion from the woman’s question): I think this is alcohol. Maybe not… (Takes a sip. Then, to the camera again.) Liquor-liquor! It’s liquor! (Smiles and continues to explain to the camera.) It’s warm wine… (Looks down at his cup again.) It tastes like wine… It’s very warm.

He then settles down at a corner and takes another small sip as it is still hot.

Taemin: I wish my Wings were here… We’d just sit here… comfortably and without a care in the word… We’d drink a cup of this warm and relaxing wine… and talk about this and that… just like we always do on Skype… or over the phone… Only that I could also watch her the whole time…

(Sighs and glances at the camera.)

They probably want to know what I’m thinking right now… It’s the perfect setting for that kind of stuff, after all… (Sighs) But I can’t tell them…

(Thus just starts babbling randomly.) This is like a dream… Wow… Really… This is what people call a social life! Mingling with people like this and…

How is this mingling?! I’m sitting in a corner alone…!

… enjoying the culture together. It’s something like peace of mind and healing…

Yeah, right!

… with a warm… drink… (Stuck for words) pretty… streets, pretty people, and pretty trees… This is just too great!

Ughh, I’m going to barf soon…! Pretty streets, people, and trees?! God, snap out of it already, Lee Taemin!!

Fearing that his true feelings might show, he fakes a smile, picks up his cup, and approaches an elderly lady right next to who’s also drinking a cup of Glühwein with her friends.

Taemin: Geonbae~!! Cheers! (Holds out his cup.)

They clink cups and Taemin goes back to his table again. But the lady has now gotten curious.

Lady: Where are you from?

Taemin (turning around again and pointing at himself): I’m from Korea!

Lady (taking a few steps nearer to hear him better): From?

Taemin: Korea!

Lady: Ah, yeah, yeah. Is it nice in Switzerland?

Taemin leans in a little and the Lady repeats question. But as the cameras are still rolling and the whole crew is watching, Taemin has to continue to pretend that he doesn’t understand a thing. Because his image is the one of an innocent boy who’d just come of age. A boy who did nothing but dance for all his life – although that is mostly true – and is still ignorant to the real world. Suddenly being able to speak English does not fit with that. That’s why the conversation with the lady is over rather fast.

After a while the coordinator of the filming crew asks whether it is possible to leave soon. And not particularly inclined to stay at a place that only reminded him of what he’s missing, he complies. He nods, picks up his cup (he gets to keep it as a souvenir), and looks over the crowd to find the shortest way out.

And that’s when it happens.

Behind the crowd, outside of the Summer-Night-Market, right next to the house wall, and at least one or two hundred meters away, he sees her.

With a loud ‘CLANKKKK’ the cup hits the table. The crew members turn back to Taemin who is frozen on the spot.

And she’s not alone.

She’s with a group of about six to ten people. Taemin recognises the unmistakable red hair of her female friend, Carole. And the guy who has just draped his arm over her shoulder and is now opening the door of the house behind them for her; he must be Kevin.

Unable to move even a single toe, Taemin watches until the last of them has disappeared in what seemed like a night club.

A cameraman of his crew: Um, Taemin? Is something wrong?

Taemin whips his head around only to finds himself looking straight into the camera lens.

Taemin with his expression blank: No, nothing. Let’s go.

He turns around again and starts walking through the crowd; a thousand thoughts flashing across his mind in the matter of seconds.

Taemin: She’s here… She’s right here…! Just inside the night club across the street!! And what the hell are her friends thinking, bringing her to a night club?! Doesn’t that guy like her?! Why would he bring her to a night club?!

Should I go take a look…?

Though I promised myself only to see her after the skydiving…

I’d just go and make sure she’s alright… That that bastard didn’t do anything to her…

I’d just go and see her face once more…

A cameraman (shouting after him and interrupting his flood of thoughts): Taemin, where are you going in such a hurry? (Furrows his brows upon seeing the conflict in Taemin’s expression as the latter glances over his shoulder.) Is something the matter?

Taemin quickly turns away as he feels the control over his facial expressions slipping away from him.

Taemin: This is no good… If only I could get rid of the crew for a while…!

He sighs and continues to push his way through the crowd when, suddenly, an idea pops in his mind. He throws a glance over his shoulder a second time and as expected the filming crew is having their difficulties to keep up with him among the mass of people.

Facing forward again, he starts walking faster and making unexpected turns here and there. He hears someone shouting after him to slow down but he ignores it. He pulls the hood of his jacket over his head and stuffs his colourful and easily recognisable scarf into one of his shopping bags. He then looks around to see where he has ended up. To his surprise he finds himself in front of the stand selling Glühwein again.

Taemin (chuckling wryly): I guess that’s what it is then, huh…

He scans his surroundings to check whether he’s still being followed but it looks like he has managed to shake them all off. He sits down at the wooden counter and orders another cup.

(Entry: Elderly man selling Glühwein)

Elderly man: Oh, you are here again…

Taemin: Yeah…

He receives the cup and drinks it almost in one go.

Elderly man: Um, you should drink it slow… Or else you become dizzy…!

Taemin (mumbling sombrely): Heh, I might actually like that… (Then, to the elderly man) Another cup, please… (Holds out the cup and money)

The elderly man looks at him with concern but still refills his cup.

Suddenly, someone puts his hand on Taemins shoulder and turns him around.

(Entry: Kihyun, part of the crew; his responsibility is to ensure Taemin’s safety)

Kihyun: Taemin! Everyone’s searching for you all over!! What are you thinki—

He breaks off when he registers the look on Taemin’s face and the cup in his hands.

Taemin: Hyung, can you not tell the others, please? Can you just let me be by myself for a while??

Taemin is looking at Kihyun with his eyes filled with sincerity. He is asking with the sincerity and desperation of a guy who wants to finally be able to let his true feelings show; to for once not having to constantly control his facial expressions because  of rolling cameras.

And being asked like that, Kihyun just can’t reject Taemin’s request. He discreetly sits down behind Taemin and watches quietly. Though he doesn’t forget to send a message to the other crew members telling them not to worry and go back to the hotel ahead of them.

Meanwhile, Taemin has bought himself another cup of Glühwein, which makes it his fourth already.

The elderly man had tried to talk him out of it but had been forced to give in to Taemin at the end.

Elderly man: Young man, you must stop. Your problem is not solved like this.

Taemin: It’s so obvious, huh…? That I’m troubled…

Elderly man: Men drink always when they a problem have … (Smiles) But it helps not.

(A/N: Btw, I’m putting these (grammatical) mistakes on purpose… ^.^ The elderly man’s English is not so good, you see… ^^)

Taemin: Then, what does help?

Elderly man: Meet the problem.

Taemins: (Sighs) I can’t do that… Nothing good will come out of her meeting me…

Elderly man: (Smiles again.) So it was indeed a girl… like I thought…

Taemin (continuing): I have no acceptable reason to approach her…

Elderly man (amused): ‘No acceptable reason’? How is you loving her this strong no acceptable reason?

Taemin (mumbling): Love…?

The elderly man just smiles and turns away to serve another customer, leaving Taemin to his own thoughts.

Taemin: Love…?

Me…?

Towards… my Wings…?

(Flashbacks of Aaron flood his mind. Their first online conversation. The feeling he got when he first read her spazzing about him. The anticipation he felt when she sent him her first picture of herself. Him seeing her for the first time when she came walking down the stairs to the bus station at her university. And the crushing feeling of loss that had threatened to swallow him up when he’d decided to stay out of her life.

Their first phone call. The overwhelming urge to punch that Kevin guy that he’d felt the moment she confessed that he’d kissed her. Even now, just thinking about it makes his blood boil!

And now that twisted sense of gravity that seems to pull him towards the night club, he’d seen her disappear into earlier, instead of towards the earth’s centre. The way she understands him. This unique sense of belonging that spreads through his entire system as soon as she appears in his field of vision.)

I love her…

(An amazed smile conquers his lips.)

The ahjussi is right, I love her.

Irrevocably and most likely for forever.

And thinking about it, I’ve actually realised it long before… but didn’t want to admit it to myself… because I was scared – and actually still am – of the hardships and emotional stress and the pain that will surely ensue…

(Voicing his worries to the elderly man) Still… Even if I love her… I can’t let her get involved with me. She will get hurt by the people around me. She will get hurt because of who I am. And I don’t want that!

Elderly man: That is very nice of you. But son, then the only thing that you do must is protect her from the hurt. Right? Have you the confidence not that you that can do?

Taemin (looking up from his cup): Protect her from getting hurt…?

Confidence…?

I…

(Suddenly, jumps up from his chair and looks straight into the elderly man’s eyes.) Thank you very much, ahjussi!! (Bows) Goodbye!

He then rushes through the crowd and runs towards the night club he had seen Aaron enter earlier; Kihyun only barely manages to keep up. And just the moment they arrive, a small figure steps out of the night club.

 

------------------------------

Things are looking gooood~~! XDDD

 

And um, I had to realise that I'm spending to little time on studying.. That's why, as much as I don't want to!, I have come to the desicion that I won't be updating that frequently anymore... :-(( I'm sorry!!! >< I don't want to put one of my stories on hiatus so that's the only solution I could come up with... *huuuge sigh*
I hope you understand and continue to read the story! I will try my best to make it interesting!

Either way, thank you for staying with me until now!! <3<3<3