23rd Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Switzerland, Leukerbad, place of take-off

On the set: Taemin, Aaron, filming crew, skydiving crew

The door of the helicopter is closed and the sound of the rotating propeller is getting higher and higher as it turns faster and faster. Taemin looks at Aaron with a loving smile and his lips before the helicopter finally takes off. He answers her waving him off and laughs at her affectionately when she does the chicken wings as a little joke but also to tell him in a cute way that he should soar as high as he can.

Finally the helicopter reaches the drop-off point and Taemin and the skydiving instructor (they are tied together) jump off the helicopter.

And as Taemin dives through the atmosphere and feels the cold air rushing past him, he feels as if his head is being magically cleared. As if all the unimportant and unnecessary thoughts are being blown away.

All that remains is the truth.

There are three things he can’t imagine living without anymore.

His family…

s and the world of showbiz…

And Aaron…

Come what may, he needs her in his life. Absolutely.

--------

When Taemin lands on the field next to the parking area, Aaron almost runs over but reminds herself at the last second that she is only supposed to be a bystander. Thus she impatiently waits until Taemin has freed himself from the parachute and is approaching her and the others.

Aaron: Maybe it’s just me… but for a second I really thought he had a pained expression…?

But she quickly throws that thought away, when Taemin beams brightly at everyone and can’t stop professing how amazing and fun the experience was.

Taemin (to the rolling camera): Really so much fun! Really fun! Really! So much fun! (Turns away to walk over to Aaron (she’s watching him from the side) and give her a hug but remembers just in time that he isn’t supposed to know her. Thus he faces the camera again) Really! This is so much fun!!

But then he really turns away and walks over to her. But instead of pulling her into a hug (which he’s actually dying to do), he secretly brushes his hand against hers as he walks past; an elated yet bashful smile stretching across his face.

 

Scene 2: Switzerland, back in Leukerbad, hotel

On the set: Aaron, Taemin, Kihyun

After they have all returned to the hotel, the filming crew goes to put their equipment away and Aaron, Taemin, and Kihyun go up to their hotel rooms. At first, Aaron thinks that they both will go to their respective rooms but then Taemin and Kihyun both follow her all the way to the door of her room.

Aaron thus awkwardly (while opening the door): Errr… you guys wanna come in?

Taemin (smiling): Thank you, but I’d really like to wash up right now, so… (Smiles at her apologetically) I just wanted to see you back to your room safely… hehe (Scratches his neck)

Aaron (smiling touched and blushing a little): Oh, okay… Thank you…

Taemin: It’s nothing… (Smiles) So… see you later! (Turns to leave)

Aaron (puzzled): Huh? Wait! See you later?

Taemin (turning around again): Ah, right. You don’t know, yet. (To Kihyun) Hyung, please stay here and show her the way to my room when she’s done. Alright?

Kihyun: Sure.

Aaron (with eyes as big as plates): To your room?

Taemin (smiling): Oh.

Aaron just stares at him for a few seconds, blinking and processing what he had just said.

Aaron (seriously): Okay. I’ll do turbo-showering!

Oh. My. Ghaaaaaaddddd!!! To his room!! Well, his hotel room, anyway… But stillll~!!! God, my FEELS!!!

Aaron then dashes into her room, snatches her things and disappears into the bathroom. But then she remembers that she forgot to close the door.

Aaron (while closing her eyes): Ah, curse it! (Wraps the bathing towel around her body and peeks out of the bathroom) If I sneak along the wall and close the door from behind, then I won’t be seen…

She tiptoes over to the door and is already about to push it shut, when Kihyun’s voice makes her pause. He’s talking in Korean so she can’t understand much but one word and especially the clearly worried tone of his voice make her pause.

Kihyun: …really should go see a doctor! What if it gets worse?!

Aaron: Uisa...? A doctor?! Why is Kihyun talking about a doctor?! And sounding this worried? (Her eyes widen) Don’t tell me, Taemin got—

Kihyun: At least get it X-rayed!

(A/N: I'm pretending here that the word doctor is a really easy word to learn and that Koreans use the English term for X-rays... Sorry -_-)

Aaron: X-rayed?! Why, he really got hurt?!

(Re-opens the door and steps out, completely forgetting about her current get-up. To Taemin, accusing him worriedly)

Yah! What is he talking about?! Doctor? X-rayed? Are you hurt?! Where?? Since when?? Why didn’t you tell me?!! And, yah! Why aren’t you saying anything?!

Taemin slightly flinches and then turns around to Aaron with a caught expression. But that quickly gets replaced by, first, shock and then an only with great effort kept unreadable expression.

At least, Taemin snaps out of his daze and his eyes fall upon Kihyun who quickly averts his gaze too when he feels Taemin’s murderous glare on him. It’s not like he was particularly interested; he had just been too stupefied by her rather unique appearance to look away.

Taemin (only barely keeping his voice from snarling): Kihyun hyung. Please go back first. I will show her the way to my room myself…!

Kihyun turns on his heels and hurriedly leaves the scene; quietly thinking to himself that he could already see the storm brewing at the horizon when the press would get wind of this…

At the same time, Taemin quickly grabs Aaron by her shoulders and determinedly pushes her back into her room; completely ignoring her protests and inquiries about his injury.

Taemin (sternly after she just wouldn’t shut up): Fine! I’ll tell you after you’ve showered and put on some decent clothes!

Finally Aaron grows aware of her current appearance. She squeaks embarrassedly, blushes furiously, and dashes into the bathroom with the speed of light.

But as her worry about Taemin is bigger than the embarrassment, she quickly recovers, finishes her shower in a matter of minutes, and steps out again (fully clothed).

Aaron (dead serious): So, what’s going on? Why is Kihyun talking about doctors and X-rays to you in such a worried voice? Are you injured?!

Taemin: Well, about that… I think I might have a broken rib…

Aaron (horrified): W-what? A broken rib? From today?! But you were wearing a corselet and all… (Then, upon remembering that horrible cracking sound from the fight the night before) Wait… you… you wouldn’t have gotten it from when you rescued me yesterday? (Taemin nods remorsefully and Aaron’s eyes widen even more) Y-you're kidding! Right?! You wouldn't have gone skydiving and paragliding today with an injury like this, right??! (Again, Taemin nods) ARE YOU CRAZY?!!! What if something happened?! What if a splitter broke off and pierced you lungs?! What if…!!

And to his horror, Taemin sees something glistening and wet roll down her cheek.

Taemin (softly): Yah, why are you crying?! (Raises his hand and gently wipes the tear away with his thumb. But the next ones are already falling) Hey-hey… don’t cry… It all went well, didn’t it? I’m still alive and standing, no? (Keeps wiping away her tears) So, please, don’t cry…

It breaks my heart…

Aaron (after calming down a little): But you have to promise me to never do something so reckless again! (Sniffs and glares at him pouting)

Taemin (smiling): I promise. (Extends his little finger and they do a pinky promise)

Aaron: And you have to get it X-rayed and treated!

Taemin: ...I can’t do that… (Upon seeing Aaron’s displeased look he hurriedly adds an explanation) I don’t have the time and if I went to see a doctor everyone would find out and it would just become a big mess… Besides, you can't do anything with rib fractures anyway.

Aaron (after quickly going through his schedule in her head): Isn’t your flight only in the evening? (Taemin nods) Then you can go see a doctor the day after tomorrow before you fly back.

Taemin: But—

Aaron: No buts! Either you’ll go see a doctor or I’ll mess up all your filming tomorrow!

Taemin (chuckling): You’re threatening me?

Aaron (while shrugging): If it gets you to go see a doctor…

Taemin: You’re scary… (Smiles)

Aaron: I’m just worried…

Taemin (gently): I know.

Aaron: And you still went ahead with it… Bastard. (Mumbling the last word)

Taemin just smiles at her last comment; he knows she doesn’t truly mean it.

Taemin: So, will you come over to my room now? I really need to take a shower… (Smiles at Aaron questioningly)

Aaron suddenly feels all shy even though it’s not even Taemin’s real room. But she still agrees. After she quickly grabbed her cell phone and they head over to Taemin’s hotel room. She had forgotten her phone in the hotel room this morning and hence never had a chance to contact Carole or Kevin. They must be worried sick already. She opened her phone.

Aaron: Whoa!

Taemin (peeking over curiously): What?

Aaron (astounded): I’ve got 36 new messages and 23 voicemails…!

Taemin (chuckling): Maybe you should write them a message that you are alright?

Aaron (chuckling still stunned): I guess I should, huh… Or maybe I’ll give Carole a call…

They have arrived at Taemin’s hotel room in the meantime.

Taemin: Sure. Do whatever you like… (Smiles) I’ll be in the shower… (Disappears in the bathroom from where he teasingly shouts) And don’t you imagine anything weird over there, okay?

Aaron shouts back indignantly but with red cheeks that give her away: I’M NOT!!!

(Fans herself with her hand)

Oh my God! Lee Taemin is taking a shower just behind that wall!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL~!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, calm down, now! I need to call Carole. Breath in, breath out…

She then dials Carol’s number and it doesn’t even ring twice until Carole picks up.

(Entry: Carole on the phone)

Carole (anxiously): Aaron? Aaron?? Is that you? Where are you? Why the hell haven’t you called?! What on earth happened?!! Yah! Are you alright?! Why aren’t you saying anything?!!

Aaron only gets a chance to speak when Carole runs out of air.

Aaron (smiling touched by her friend’s concern): I’m fine. And I’m not saying anything because you’re not letting me…

Carole breathes out audibly and Aaron hears her passing the news on to someone beside her, Kevin probably.

Carole: So, where are you?

Aaron: In Leukerbad…

Carole (confused): Leukerbad?? In the Berner Oberland?? How did you get there? What on earth happened, Aaron??

Aaron: Err, I don’t think you’d believe me… (Chuckles)

Carole: Huh? Why wouldn’t I believe you?

Aaron: Well, because it’s so unbe… (Breaks of mid-sentence and just blinks stupidly, her eyes completely transfixed by the sight in front of her)

Carole: Aaron?

Aaron breathes dazed: …lievable…

Carole (sounding a little anxious again): Oy, Aaron! What happened?!

Aaron: …

Because some heavenly creature has just entered her line of vision, Aaron is currently unable to utter even a single word. Hair still dripping wet… Skin looking as soft as… as God knows what… The black shirt only half buttoned and thus showing a good amount of the lean upper torso… A pair of dark grey jeans that emphasise the long legs perfectly… And eyes… eyes shining like two brilliant stars in the sky…

And Taemin, finding her reaction greatly endearing, can’t help but want to a little. He walks over to her, purposely flaunting his stunning looks as he goes, and leans in to her.

Taemin (whispering hoarsly): And? Like what you see?

Aaron: Gulp…

Heart...

Heart?

Heart, you still alive?

 

 


Phew~! Just barely managed to upload this chapter before the internet turnes off!

Thus no long after-comment.. ^^