25th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Switzerland, Leukerbad, Taemin’s hotel room after dinner

On the set: Taemin, some of the filming crew

Because they still need to ask Taemin some questions for the footage of SHINee’s One Fine Day two crew members and Taemin are having an interview right now. Taemin is sitting on a chair next to his bed and wearing his usual black and white striped sweater.

Crew member: So, how do you feel now? After you’ve successfully completed your challenge?

Taemin (with closed eyes to emphasise the overwhelming feelings): Wow. Wow! (Opens eyes again) That kind of feeling. Really. The sound of the wind, the sunshine, and the trees, huge trees… And I could see the Jungfrau Mountain.

Everything looked so small and insignificant… so far away… Even the tall mountains… It made me feel like I could achieve anything… that nothing is impossible if I just try hard enough…

Hummm… it’s like… this is something one should experience at least once in your lifetime… that kind of experience… (Smiles happily)

That feeling of almost boundless freedom is marvellous…

Crew member: Then, did the significance of this challenge change compared to before?

Taemin (shakes head with a smile): No, not really… I needed something like a turning point. ‘Cause you need experience to grow up. And because of some things I had to win a battle against myself…

I kept being indecisive about how I should deal with these new feelings… kept going back and forth without getting anywhere… I was trapped between my fear of the consequences that accepting these feelings would entail and my inability of shutting them out of my heart… I was fighting against myself…

The only way to break out of it was by facing it head-on… by coming to this country, HER country, and setting myself a deadline… giving myself a challenge to see whether I am strong enough to handle the consequences…

 

--- Taemin Flashback ---

Scene 1.1: South Korea (so for this scene even the uncoloured word are spoken in Korean), SMent building, at the interview before the trip

On the set: Taemin (wearing white pants, a black jacket with white buttons, and a grey sweater underneath), some crew members

They had just filmed the interview together with all the members and now it is Taemin’s turn for his personal interview. And upon being asked why he chose Switzerland as his destination he answers:

Taemin (with a small thoughtful smile): In Switzerland, I heard that’s where you can do extreme sports, and there was… (Thinks for a second) Something I want to speak out? Something that’s inside, something that’s accumulated and unresolved…

My feelings for Aaron that I want to speak out but can’t… These feelings that keep growing and growing and yet I don’t know what to do with them…

All at once, I think I can dispel them all off, all these worries

--- End of Flashback ---

 

Taemin (continuing): And skydiving was the perfect choice for that turning point… Because skydiving is a fight against yourself, too… Since it is a scary and very hard sport to challenge…

That’s why I promised myself… If I could complete this challenge successfully, then I would stop running away and would accept these feelings… And act according to them…

Crew member (smiling too): And? What did you learn through this challenge in the end?

Taemin: What I learnt? A lot… a lot more than I expected to… I came here feeling all confused and unsure about how I should act…

And now I feel like I had been worrying over nothing… After clearing my head and sorting out what is important to me and what isn’t… after I did that, the answer to my internal battle suddenly seems so painfully obvious that I can’t understand anymore why I didn’t see it before…

How could I have been scared of the consequences of me loving her, when I am long past the point where I could live without her?

(Thoughtfully and not looking into the camera)

Something like… there is nothing I need to fear.

No matter how high and intimidating a mountain rises up in front of you, if you change your perspective and look at it from above it will always become small and unimportant.

Now that I did skydiving, if anything happens, (Looks up at the interviewer with a solemn expression) I’m confident that I can pull through. Now, I have that kind of confidence and courage.

Crew member (smiling): Okay… Then let’s move to your paragliding experience now. Due to the huge amount of snow it was too dangerous to drive with the car all the way to the top and we had to walk instead. What are your thoughts on that?

(A/N: Sorry about the ‘huge amount of snow’ in the middle of summer here too…!! ><)

Taemin (remembering the uncomfortable experience with a smile): The road was very tough… the snow accumulated almost up to my tight… With each and every step the snow got into my boots, melted inside; so all my socks, boots got wet and my feet frozen. One of the camera directors who were filming also fell down. Everyone had a hard time. But it was also a lot of fun…

 

--- Taemin Flashback ---

Scene 1.2: Switzerland, one a wide field of snow just before arriving at the paragliding take-off point

On the set: Aaron, Taemin, filming crew, skydiving and paragliding crew

Except for Aaron, Taemin, and one camera man (not the one who’s interviewing him right now but the one who had noticed Aaron during dinner), everyone has already gone ahead. Seeing the white untouched snow, Taemin’s playful side had broken through and he had let himself fall back into the snow. And the camera man had stayed to film it and Aaron, well, like always, she was just there by sheer coincidence…

Taemin (exclaiming with a smile while lying in the snow): Whoa! This is no joke…! (Flaps his arms and legs a little before he tries to get up again, which, he finds out, is not an easy thing to do) Getting up is the hard part…!

Aaron just stands there and watches with amusement how Taemin is struggling to stand up. But then she seems to have an idea. She taps Taemin, who has finally managed to climb out of the snow, on the arm. Because Taemin is still pretending to be an English-illiterate she didn’t simply call out to him but used this method to get his attention instead.

Aaron (with a smile after Taemin has turned around to her and is looking at her curiously): Look.

And she lets herself fall backwards into the snow too. But instead of just lying there and flapping her limbs a little like Taemin did before, she starts flailing her arms and feet vigorously; doing the jumping jack.

Camera man (not interested in some strange girl’s weird actions): Okay, let’s go.

He turns around and walks away, however when he realises that Taemin isn’t following him he turns back around again. And is surprised to see Taemin gazing down at the girl with the gentlest expression on his face.

Taemin (whispering without moving his lips): What are you doing?

Aaron (grinning): Showing you how to make a snow angel…!

Taemin (tilting his head): A snow angel?

Aaron: Yeah, just a second, I’m almost done… Ugh, now comes the most difficult part… (Tries to get up without destroying her little piece of art)

Seeing her struggle like that, Taemin naturally extends his hand to Aaron and without thinking she grabs it. Taemin pulls her up but because he uses a little too much force (whether or not that was his intention, shall be left unsaid), instead of just pulling her up, he actually pulls her right to his chest. (Making the camera man let his jaw drop into the snow.)

Taemin can smell a sweet fragrance radiating from her hair and he closes his eyes in bliss.

Taemin: So this is what she smells like… Jasmine and lavender… I like it…

Though, that scent suddenly disappears when Aaron tries to step away from him. Taemin’s first reaction is to reach out and bring her head back to his chest but then he remembers that they are still in the middle of a snowy field and with a crew member watching them curiously.

Aaron (without directly looking at Taemin): So, you see, that’s a snow angel… With my legs I made the skirt and with my arms I made the wings… (Points at them, then thoughtfully) …it’s us… This is you with me, your wings, hehehe…

--- End of Flashback ---

 

And just by remembering Aaron’s bashful smile, Taemin’s lips turn upwards again.

Crew member (agreeing): Yeah, you really did look like you were having fun… (Smiles) So any reasons why you challenged paragliding after skydiving?

Taemin: First of all… I wanted to show… to my members… who always worry about me… I’m old enough to do these things all by myself… No need to worry about me anymore… (Smiles) So… please just watch me from now on…

I had just achieved my goal so I’d wanted to show it off…

When I accomplished some right things in Switzerland I thought that my members should watch what I did…

Although except Onew hyung no one knows about it, hahaha…

Aigooo, dear member hyungs, please stop worrying about me! I think it’s my turn to worry about you now, hyungs. I’ll take good care of you~! (Chuckles)

But I also really love the feeling of flying in the sky, so I’d simply wanted to do it again…

Crew member: Okay, I think that’s all. (To the man holding the camera) Let’s wrap it up. (To Taemin) Thank you and see you tomorrow.

And with a smile the crew members then leave Taemin’s room.

 

Scene 2: The hotel in Leukerbad after dinner

On the set: Aaron, Taemin, filming crew, other guests, hotel personnel

Soon after Taemin and the filming crew have finished the dessert, they all go back to their rooms. Aaron waits until the coast is clear and then goes back to her room as well. The crew members had all seen her during the day. So, it would appear as a little bit too much of a coincidence, if they now saw her entering a hotel room almost next to Taemin's. Even more so since they had been told that she is part of the skydiving team...

Thus, Aaron has no other choice left but to go to her own room. She slowly walks over to her bed and sits down. And being alone at last, her mind has finally time to catch up with the recent events. From the moment she had woken up this morning, one mind-boggling thing after the other happened.

First, waking up in a place completely foreign to her. Then, finding out that NamTei’s true identity is actually no other than her admired idol himself. And if that wasn’t already enough for her mind to deal with, he reveals just seconds later that he’s actually staying in the same hotel just a few rooms down the corridor! He walks into her room as if it is the most normal thing ever even invites her to accompany him during the day. And in addition to all that, there is also his broken rib that Aaron can’t stop worrying about.

So, for a moment, she simply sits on the bed motionlessly while she lets today’s events replay in front of her inner eye. But then a slight frown appears on her face.

Aaron: Hmmm… though, it feels like I’m forgetting something…?

(Stares at her bag on the shelf thoughtfully before she suddenly exclaims)

AH!

(Her eyes widen with a mixture of mortification and embarrassment.)

I confessed! I frickin’ CONFESSED to him last night!! Whaaaaa~!

(Covers her face with her hands. Then, mumbling into her hands.)

God, he must be thinking I’m one of those crazy fans of his who proclaim their undying love for him the moment they get the chance!

What am I going to do?? I definitely can’t see him tonight!

(Shakes her head madly)

Shall I just pretend to be asleep already?

And tomorrow morning, should I just take the first train back home before he even wakes up?

Or I could go and tell him I didn’t mean it and that he should just forget I ever said it…?

Well, did I mean it…? When I said I loved him?

Aaron lets herself fall back onto the bed and stares at the ceiling. She remembers the moment from this afternoon when she had fallen against Taemin’s chest as the result of him pulling her up from the snow and she feels her cheeks heating up just from the memory. Even though she had stepped away from him again immediately, she could still clearly recall the almost magical feeling that had engulfed her at that moment. Her heart had been thumping wildly in her chest and her stomach had been doing summersaults. The coldness from lying in the snow had been gone instantly.

Then, Aaron’s thoughts wander to a happening not too long ago. She had been so insanely happy, when he wrote that he’d rather be sitting with her than with his crew.

Aaron: Even though I was also embarrassed, when he told me that I looked cute, I felt like I was the happiest girl on earth…

(Then, upon remembering her reasoning from the previous night)

The second I hear his voice next to me I feel an overwhelming sense of security… A single comment from him on Skype can make me smile like an idiot… I worry endlessly, if I don’t hear from him for longer than a day… The mere sound of a piano makes me think of him… And I just can’t bring myself to accept Kevin’s confession…

I guess the answer to my question is more than obvious…

I really did mean it.

When I said I love him.

Oh, God, what am I going to do?

He is a frickin’ idol that lives on the other side of the world! He has legions of girls admiring him; there is no way he would look at me! He lives in the glittering world of celebrities surrounded by beautiful Asian ladies, so why would he choose a western country pumpkin like me?

(Turns around an buries her face in the white cushion)

And the worst is he already knows that I like him! Arghhh, please just kill me…!

In the end, Aaron really just sends Taemin a text saying that she is now going to bed and pretends to be asleep from then on.

 

-----------------------------

Hey, everyone!! (Is anyone still here? *^^*)

Haha, it sure took Aaron long enough to remember her confession...!! ^.^ Well, now, there's only one day left until Taemin has to go back...

Oh, and I re-read some of my chapters and found some mistakes so I might be correcting them in the near future, meaning you guys might get an updated-alert even though there is no new chapter up... Just telling you in advance... :)