The Spiky Meteor

EXO: The Boys From Another Planet

 

Lee Jang Mi was an ordinary university girl. She lives away from her parents in the country. She goes to school every school day. She went out with her friend. She tried to date, but fail. Like most of other people. So, like her classmates, she joined hiking to the mountain she barely knew. One thing that always came to her mind: if other people can, why can’t I? With that, she joined the pack and went off to the mountain, forgetting how clueless she was, and how bad she was with sport and directions.

She stared at her friend Sung Hyo with utter hatred, not real hatred, she was just a little mad about how Sung Hyo talked her into joining the pack. Sung Hyo was a few meters ahead of her, chirping happily with her other friend, Yoon Hee, forgetting her behind. She was gasping there, losing her breath and tried so hard walking one more step ahead.

Our Jang Mi here is not as Jang Mi (Rose) as her name. She’s thorn less, this rose. Skinny, almost like she was underweight. Plain, almost nerd with her glasses hanging on her nose and her naturally wavy hair messy under her beanie. She dressed to her liking, comfortable, she says, just plain pair of jeans with tee and a thick jacket. This girl is also very, very weak.  Her sport is what her friends call shopping. She would just follow them around without any interest in the newest fashion and found herself collapsed in a café where her friends decided to take a break.

And there she was, regretting how proud she was when she declared that she will join the hiking.

“Jang Miii? Hurry up!” Sung Hyo waved her hand and sighed in exasperation.

“I’m coming… not,” she muttered the last word under her breath.

“Look at you,” Yoon Hee said and shook her head. “This is why I told you to eat healthily and exercise. You can’t even climb a mountain properly. Ah, really this girl. She makes me suffocated.” She hit her chest to get rid of her feeling.

Jang Mi rolled her eyes. “Just be quiet and keep walking. I’ll be behind you.”

“Call us out when you can’t see us anymore, okay? I don’t want you to get lost like you did in the mall. There is no information desk here where we can just call you,” Sung Hyo glowered and Jang Mi just smiled sheepishly.

“O… understood.”

But Jangmi, as clueless as she could be, lost the sight of her friends ten minutes later. The rest of the pack must have reached the top already, she thought as she now facing a fork ahead. There was a sign falling on the ground telling which way was the mountain top.

“Hmm?” Jangmi looked at the sign and picked it up. “Which way?” she looked around. No one could tell her where, and trusting her blunt instinct, she took the left road.

“Sunghyo-yaaa?! Yoonhee-yaaa?!” she shouted but no one answers. She kept walking ahead, yelling her friends name until dried up.

She was completely lost. Her blunt instinct that she knew she shouldn’t had trust led her deeper into the wood. She turned to the road where she first started to found out the road was not there. She kept walking and walking but the trees just kept getting thicker and thicker. She started to feel anxious and a little bit scared. But she calmed herself down.

“Calm down, Lee Jang Mi. You are lost, like usual. Now what would you usually do?” she talked to herself. Like a bright idea just came to her mind she quickly sat down on the ground and quickly raiding her backpack. “I found you!” she exclaimed when she found her cellphone. “Thank you God, for giving Mr. Bell idea to invent phone. Please give me idea to invent a way home? Or at least some help?” It was either she prayed, or begging flirty-ly … as if God was her friend.

“Okay, now Park Sung Hyo, Jung Yoon Hee, you are ought to find m…,” her voice trailed off as she did not found the bar where the phone signal should be. “No fair!” she screamed. “No, no, no!” she jumped around and tried to climb a tree to find a signal, but as if God was punishing her because she tried to flirt, she did not see any bar on her signal.

The sun began to set and our silly heroine was sitting on the ground, lost, and defeated. “I’m going to die here…,” she muttered under her breath. Then without any warning she held up her head. “No way, I’m Lee Jang Mi. If Bear Grylls can survive in the wood, why can’t I?” she said with confidence. Then she stood up and started marching toward… nowhere.

After an hour of tired walking, sore and thirst, she found herself in the part of the forest where no living human has ever seen. She leaned to a tree and held out a sob. She might be weak, but she was not a whiny girl. She’ll survive. She did not know how, but she will survive.

She looked up to the dark sky, which flattered with so many stars. She loves the stars, when she lives in the country she will secretly climb up to her rooftop and lay there, watching the stars twinkling. Sometimes if she lucky, she would see some shooting stars and pull out a wish. In Seoul, she could not see as much as stars as could see here. This, she thought, just magnificent. The stars were much more brighter and bigger than she ever saw. She calmed down as she watched the stars winking at her.

Suddenly, there was a star falling out of its place. She quickly gathered her hands together, closing her eyes and prayed. “Dear God, please send some people to rescue me. I’m still 20, I don’t want to die without feeling how beautiful love is.” She sobbed.

She opened her eyes and frowned. The shooting star got brighter and bigger, and bigger, and bigger and with a start she realized the star was heading toward the earth, toward her. She yelped and quickly took her backpack and ran for her life.

She felt the earth shook under her and she quickly went flat with the ground. With a loud swoosh, and a huge crash and bang about a hundred meters from her, the forest started to glow in a red glowering light.

Her eyes went wide in shock and her instinct told her to run away from the angry light. But she stayed there. Not because she was not afraid or anything, mostly because her legs went weak. Shaking and shocked she finally regained her insanity and stood up. Ignoring her untrustable instinct which screamed danger ahead, she walked slowly toward the light.

Moving the last branch out of her way, she saw it. A big meteor with a wild spiky shape clamped in the middle on a huge fiery hole. The meteor glowed in blue dim light, like it was a beating purplish blue heart.

Jang Mi stared at the meteor in awe, she never saw a star from so up close. Thinking that the huge spiky thing in front of her now was something she always adored from afar was somehow pumped her spirit. She quickly made her way toward the meteor, ignoring the flaming light around the huge hole. She might be weak and clueless, but goodness, she’s brave. She was only a few meters away from the meteor when it glowed bright, blinding bright. She quickly covered her eyes and looked away. She walked back a few steps and stumbled because she could not see her way by the light.

Trampled there, she could not move away or even look at what was happening, she sat there until the light stopped blazing and finally she was able to see. To her utter shock, the meteor which was glowing like Chrystal earlier now opened up a big triangle and showed a completely confusing scene. There was silhouette..s? There were people inside the meteor! What was that? Was this some kind of new airplane the government made? It clearly failed, since it crashed in the middle of nowhere.

The group of silhouettes moved around and looking around the meteor. Our poor Jang Mi was shaking out of her wits, she could not even scream for help, and there was no one around to help her anyway. Jang Mi was gasping out of her breath when one of the silhouettes came closer to her and leaned to her.

The silhouette turned to be a man… a boy? A boy around her age, wearing a really odd looking silver clothes. He kneeled down in front of Jang Mi and checked his… phone? A really odd looking smart phone, no smart phone is transparent and flip able into a candy like shape, right? Let’s just call the thing phone for now. The phone beeped and shot Jang Mi with a green light as if it was scanning her a few time and some weird writing was written on it few seconds after. Jang Mi could not even move a muscle when the incident happened. She was terrified. Her only thought was. “The astronaut is going to kill me. Dear Mom and Dad, please forgive you clumsy stupid daughter. I did a lot of wrong things to you.”

The phone stopped beeping. The boy looked at Jang Mi attentively before broke into a dazzling smile and say.

“Greetings, Earthling.”