Jade Chapter 12

Unworldly Link

                It was now January 21st for Jade. She knew that it was the 22nd in Korea and AJ was going to be arriving back in Korea from Columbia University in the states. She kind of felt bad that she never was able to go see him. Then again his school was on the entire other side of the country. Everything had been going well with Eli, no real big changes. Last night had marked exactly three months since the first dream. They were starting to miss some nights with each other because she fell asleep too early. Those nights, she would still show up on the MV sets, she would just be bored. She found out that no matter what time of day it was, if she was asleep, she would show up on one of the UKISS sets. Last night was still in the Neverland set, this was the longest the set ever stayed the same. She had started a habit of sleeping in more and more clothes even though Eli did not appreciate that much.

                Suddenly a crumpled piece of paper flew at her face. She stood up shocked, remembering she was at work and it was not the time to be zoning out thinking about Eli. Keji laughed at her. “DoraDora is on next. Come dance with me!” he demanded. She laughed and nodded. She was the best at this song out of all of them since Eli personally taught her in her dreams.

                She fixed her outfit, today was Kara’s Mister outfits. Jade quickly got in position and danced through the whole song without any mistakes. The few people in the café clapped for them as Keji went to take care of them; she went back to behind the counter.

                It was about 4 in the afternoon; Cyrus came in to get his regular kpop lesson. He now knew the truth about Keji. That he was in fact interested in men and would rather date him instead of Jade. She saw him come in and sit down and she automatically made his usual order. This café had made him obsessed with bubble tea, specifically blueberry. She brought it to his table and sat down across from him. She was currently teaching him about TVXQ and JYJ. It was taking longer than she expected. It had already been three days.

                Keji noticed Cyrus and ran over to the table. He leaned over Jade’s shoulder and smiled seductively at him. “I’m in a girl groups outfit today. It’s from Mister by Kara!” He suddenly stood up and adjusted the lose suspenders and started dancing. “So do you like my suspenders Hyung?” Jade was trying to hold back so much laughter that her eyes started to water. She fanned herself as Cyrus started rambling awkwardly and the customers were laughing. Keji had developed a fan-girl following in the past week he had worked here, especially when he would come in on his days off. He would just dance on the stage by himself or teach some of the girls.

                Shelby came in to work during the times that Jade would teach Cyrus. She saw Keji dancing for the attractive male and laughed as she yelled at him to get back to work. Cyrus was relieved and drank some of his tea. “So has she and her girlfriend found a place yet?” Jade nodded as she typed something into his laptop and turned it around. “They moved into their new place yesterday. It’s a cute apartment.” She smiled as she clicked play. The video for Keep Your Head Down began playing. “We are now to the first album without Junsu, Yoochun and Jaejoong…” she began rattling off facts as he watched the video.

                After half an hour of nothing but talking about Yunho and Changmin, Cyrus laughed and smiled across the table at her. “You seem to be getting happier and happier you know. If I didn’t know better, I would say that you had a boyfriend.” Jade stared at him in shock. “What?! Why would you say that?” she then realized she sounded way more surprised than she should have. “I mean… how would I have a boyfriend? The only Boyfriend I need has six members…” she said as she awkwardly drank some water. Cyrus raised an eyebrow and leaned on the table. “What was that?” He said trying not to laugh.

                Jade avoided eye contact and started telling him random facts about Boyfriend. He laughed and nodded. “That’s not what I was talking about, you already taught me about them. You really do have a secret boyfriend don’t you?” She took another drink of water. He leaned back and burst out laughing. “You just drank water, twice! Right after looking more shocked than I have ever seen you. You don’t even yell at me anymore.”

                She suddenly glared at him and smacked her hand on the table. “Today is about TVXQ, so pay attention!” He put his hands up in front of him in defeat “Alright, alright. Please continue.” 

                Shelby leaned over towards Keji. “It’s a good thing she doesn’t have a ruler.” Keji burst out laughing. “Oh my god! I would pay money to see that!”

                Soon Jade decided that the lesson for today was over and went back to work. Cyrus walked over to Keji and smiled. The diva boy grinned. “How may I help you hyung?” Cyrus smirked at him. “So, do you know who Jade is secretly dating?” Keji smirked back. He decided this was going to be fun. “What makes you think she is dating anyone?” Cyrus motioned for him to sit down with him. “When she isn’t talking to someone, she looks happy and like she is daydreaming about someone. It’s different than when I first met her and she was grumpy all the time.” Keji nodded. “I see. Well, what will my information get me?”

                Cyrus thought for a moment. “What do you want?” Keji grinned. Cyrus glared at him, knowing what he was thinking. Keji sighed. “Fine, tomorrow, I want to go swimming. You aren’t allowed to have a shirt on... You also must wear scuba shorts, not swim trunks. Like the ones professional swimmers wear.” Cyrus looked very confused. “You are aware that it is January?” Keji smirked. “There are indoor pools.” He sighed. “Fine, but we should get everyone to come. All of the café girls.” Keji shrugged his shoulders. “I can’t promise that. But promise right now that you will go with me tomorrow no matter what and you will be shirtless.”  Cyrus nodded. The younger boy smiled. “Say it out loud. That way it’s a verbal contract.”

                Cyrus realized that Keji was a scary boy but gave in and recited his promise, satisfying him. Keji leaned in and whispered. “She is dating Eli from UKISS. It’s a secret and only me and Shelby know.” He smiled. Cyrus looked at him grumpily. “You made me promise! Now don’t lie to me! Seriously, who is she dating.” Keji laughed and ruffled up his own hair. “She really isn’t dating anyone. Her bias list is the closest thing to a boyfriend she has, besides maybe me.” He walked away laughing. “Don’t forget the tight shorts!”

                Cyrus groaned and walked over to the counter where Shelby and Jade were working. “Tomorrow I was wondering if the entire staff here would be willing to go to the indoor pool? I want to do an insert in my magazine about this place and need pictures.” Jade started laughing. “We are allowed to wear what we normally wear to the pool right?” Shelby was giggling, leaving Cyrus confused. “Ummm… yeah, just wear your regular swimsuits. I want all of the staff to be there though.” Jade and Shelby nodded. “Even Katie, Luke and Matt?” He nodded.

                Shelby shook her head. “Tomorrow is a Tuesday, Luke and Kiwi will be in school.” He smiled awkwardly. “Then just bring everyone who can come.”  The two nodded as he left. Shelby looked over at Jade worried. “He is expecting all of us to show up in regular swim suits isn’t he?” Jade nodded and smiled. “Yup.”

                Jade called over to Keji. “Keji!! Come here!” He grinned on his way back over. “Yes…” She leaned on the counter and glared at him. “What did you do?” He smiled and explained everything. Both girls groaned. “We got dragged along just so you can see him in a swimsuit?” He nodded excitedly.

                After work, Jade and Keji headed towards Jade’s house. Shelby had headed back to her own place. As soon as she opened the door she yelled into the house. “Guys! Go shower and get swimsuit ready!! We have a pool photo-shoot tomorrow!” Keji closed the door behind him as they heard rustling and a crash from the room that the two oldest girls shared. The two girls came running out and Elle ran straight to the bathroom and Lizzie ran right to Jade. “What??? Why??”

                Jade had Keji explain it to her as she went to search for her suit. Jade could hear the older girl groan and plop on the couch. Jade found her swim suit, it was green and white striped on the top and the bottoms were boy short style and were brown with a green belt.

                She looked at the clock and it was already 11 at night, still too early for bed. Jade went out to the living room and Elle still wasn’t out of the bathroom. Lizzie was making a lot of noise in her room. Keji was just sitting there, confused. Jade had texted everyone else earlier. Keji looked at her. “Why are they panicking?” Jade laughed. “Do you really think that girls keep themselves swimsuit ready in January?” Keji started laughing.

                Jade smiled. “You are here all the time you know. Why don’t you just move into Shelby’s old room?” Keji grinned. “I should. Are you messing with me?” Jade thought for a moment. “You will have to pay the same amount that she paid. He nodded and listened as she explained everything that would be required to live with them.  He agreed to all of the conditions. “I will bring my stuff over tomorrow, after the pool!” Jade laughed and nodded.

                Soon Keji went home and Elle and Lizzie were finally finished in the bathroom. Jade took a shower and put on long pajama pants and a t-shirt. She laid in her bed and fell asleep around 6am.

                She was standing in a white room that had no furniture. She saw the darker set with random furniture in it across from her. She was on the Distance set. She laughed and walked over to the black leather couch and sat on it, glad that she was no longer in a freezer.

                As usual, she had to wait quite a while for Eli to show up. She expected him to be later since AJ had come back today. After an hour or so, Eli showed up sitting on the couch, right where she was sitting. “Ughh… You are heavy!” Eli smiled down at her. “Well, isn’t this familiar.” She nodded, remembering the time she showed up on his lap on the Dora Dora couch.

                She pushed him over. “Yeah, but you are much heavier than me.” Eli scooted off of her legs and sat next to her. They ended up sitting cross legged facing each other. Jade smiled “So did you get to see AJ today?” He nodded. “I did. Dongho told him about you. He is very curious. You know he was studying for a umm…. Psychology… person…?” Jade laughed. “A psychologist?” He clapped his hands together. “Yeah! That!”

                She just laughed at him. He suddenly reached over and grabbed her, pulling her onto his lap. “Much better. So what happened to you today?” He said as he got comfortable and situated her on his lap. She leaned against him and sighed. “Cyrus is doing a photo shoot for the café tomorrow. It is at an indoor pool. Keji actually suggested it; He wanted to see him in a swimsuit.” Eli sighed and rested his chin on her shoulder. “I thought Keji was supposed to be on my side…  I even told Kiseop about him. Dongho teases him.” He said smirking.

                Jade laughed and patted him on the side of the face. “It’s ok. Keji, Lizzie, Shelby, Elle, and Katie’s boyfriend will be there too. Katie said she will be running the café. Luke and Kiwi are going to be in school.” Eli nodded. “I wish I could see you in a swimsuit…” he mumbled. She laughed “Well it will be in his magazine at some point. His magazine is called Music Junkies or something like that.” Eli laughed and nodded. “Sure, I will try to find it.”

                She sighed and stretched out. She knew that her Eli wouldn’t be able to see it. Even if this was the real Eli, Cyrus’s magazine didn’t circulate globally, only in North America. There was always the website but her brain would obviously know the images would look like. “I’m so glad that we are out of that freezer. This is the Distance set right?” She asked. Eli just nodded. Jade looked up at him, smiling. “I saw the making of. You couldn’t remember your part.”

                Eli made a pouty face at her. “Japanese isn’t easy! You only know English. So you don’t get to pick on me about it.” She laughed as he poked her on the nose. She stuck her tongue out at him and he just laughed and messed up her hair.  She punched him in the shoulder. “It’s not nice to mess up a girl’s hair.” She said laughing. Eli just grabbed her and pulled her closer.

                He rested his head on hers. “Should I sing my part for you?” She smirked. “Do you know it?” Eli sighed. “Yes… I will even translate it for you.” She smiled and turned, wrapping her arms around his torso, resting her ear against his chest. Eli nodded and began humming the song.

                He reached the first chorus and began singing in English. “I always want to hold you tight like this, I don’t want to let you go yet.” He continued humming until it was his own rap. “Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, I love you even more and more as the seasons keep passing by. Either way, I have to put these emotions into words, so, let’s try to figure this out together…” he continued onto Dongho’s rap “Because we do love each other so strongly and it’s wonderful to still have a dream. Things like being separated even by a little bit is just a winter distance uselessly bestowed upon us.”

                He sang the entire last verse, in English. “I always wanted to hold you tight like that, I didn’t want to let you go. The train’s departure bell echoes and with a smile I said “I’m looking forward to the next time we meet” and you replied with a goodbye while shivering… Winter is waiting.”

                Jade’s eyes were tearing up but she couldn’t help but laugh. “The English translation doesn’t fit the flow.” Eli laughed and petted her hair. “Shush… That was romantic even if it was off.”  Jade laughed and nodded. “This set and the song is very fitting for us.” She said as she closed her eyes, smiling.

                She opened her eyes and she was back in her bed and Lizzie was rummaging around the living room. “Jade! Hurry Up! Go get dressed!!”