Jade Chapter 10

Unworldly Link

                It was now January 2nd, the café had been closed during the holidays. The girls spent most of it catching up on dramas they were behind in. Jade was getting ready for work. She hadn’t seen Cyrus since Christmas, which made both her and Eli happy. They were still in the Not Young house in their dreams.

                She finished getting ready for work and grabbed a red bull and went to go make sure Elle was ready for work. Elle was sitting at her computer, half dressed, on the ‘EXO’ tag on tumblr. She didn’t hear Jade come into her room. “Elle!!! We have to leave now!!! We will be late!!” Elle about jumped out of her skin and quickly flailed around her room, getting dressed.

                Soon both girls were ready to leave and started walking to work. Elle kept laughing at Jade. Eventually Jade sighed and grumpily drank out of her red bull. “What?? Why do you keep laughing?”  Elle grinned. “What if Cyrus comes in today? Who will you teach him about first?” Jade sighed as they turned a corner. “UKISS. I think they would be good to start with since they have two American members.” Elle pouted, she was hoping she would tell him about EXO first. “You just want to talk about Eli don’t you?”

                Jade laughed as they made it to work and started unlocking the front door. “Maybe… I like Eli better than Cyrus.” The two girls heard someone clear his throat. They looked behind them and Cyrus had just gotten out of his car and had heard her say that. Elle smiled awkwardly and waved “Good Morning!” He walked towards them and smiled. “So who is Eli? Did you get a boyfriend since Christmas?” Jade smirked as Elle started to explain things about bias lists to him.

                Jade just walked into the café and got prepared for the day. She felt it was going to be a long day. Soon Elle came up to her and shoved her over to the table where Cyrus was drinking coffee and had a laptop with him. Elle smiled at the both of them. “It’s time for his first lesson in kpop. Jade be nice.” She giggled as she ran away.

                Jade smiled and went into work mode. “What do you need to know?” Cyrus’s laptop had finally powered on and he reached into his bag and grabbed a pair of glasses and put them on. Jade raised an eyebrow. “You need glasses too?” The man just smiled and nodded. “Only when I am looking at screens or taking photos.” She nodded and once again asked where she should start.

                Much to her surprise, and Elle’s disappointment, Cyrus was treating his lesson in kpop like an actual interview. He wasn’t flirting or anything. After about three hours, Lizzie had come in. She walked over to Elle who was staring grumpily from behind the counter. The older female sighed and stared at Lizzie. “They aren’t flirting or anything! It’s like watching a business meeting.” Lizzie laughed and watched with Elle.

                Soon Cyrus took off his glasses and closed his laptop. “I think I know almost all there is to know about UKISS now. You seem to know a lot and your website will also be very informative. I really do think my magazine can move into kpop as well.” Jade smiled and nodded. She thought that maybe Cyrus wasn’t all that bad. Not once did he seem bored learning about kpop and UKISS. “Good. I really want more people to love kpop like we do here.”

                Lizzie and Elle both nodded and came over to them. Elle pouted at him. “You said you liked her! Why aren’t you flirting and trying to get her to like you!” Jade sighed as Cyrus laughed. “I learned better. She didn’t like my advances so I will change how I go about this.” Jade raised her eyebrow at him again and adjusted her own glasses. He continued. “Plus, I shouldn’t mix research for work with pleasure. Then I would be biased in my work.”

                The girls all nodded. He suddenly got a text and said his goodbyes and left. Elle grabbed Jade’s hand and looked at her with what the youngest girl could only describe as a creepy soul eating stare. “Why do you not like this man!?” Jade opened her eyes wide. “Wha…what? I just don’t…” Lizzie started laughing and went to find something to drink.

                Elle sighed “As your very single Unnie, I demand you date that man.” Jade started laughing. “I don’t want to date anyone right now!” Elle pouted and nodded grumpily. “I see, let’s get back to work.”

                Lizzie had left after seeing how grumpy Elle was. Jade felt like she was walking on eggshells for the rest of their shift, even though she knew that her friend wasn’t as grumpy as she seemed. Since it was still close to the holiday season, not many people came in today. The two girls finally sat down and Jade decided that this was enough.

                “Elle, I really have no interest in dating Cyrus in any way. I am fine teaching him about kpop but I really will not date him or anything close to it.” She sighed as she waited for Elle to yell at her again, but she didn’t. “I know. I just haven’t seen you date anyone in a very long time, none of us besides Shelby has. I just didn’t want you to let the chance slip away. He is attractive, has an awesome job that pays well. He is a very good catch and he wants you.” Jade smirked at her friend, who now seemed more like a mother. “It is awesome isn’t it?” Elle burst out laughing.

                “What the heck! That isn’t the response you should have!” The darker girl managed to breathe out through her laughter. Jade started laughing. “Maybe he will start liking you or Lizzie if you hang around him long enough.” Elle calmed herself and looked down awkwardly. Jade smiled. “You can’t see any of us dating anyone who isn’t our bias right now can you?” Elle blushed and stood up. “Well… The next boy I see who looks like Jongin, I will pounce on him and marry him.”

                The younger girl laughed so hard she started crying. A customer came in and Jade tried to greet them but she couldn’t. Elle smiled “Please ignore my dying friend over there and welcome. How may I help you?” The boy smiled and flipped his dark hair to one side, to get the fringe out of his eyes. He looked half white and half Asian. He had sunglasses on and removed them and smiled at them. “I was wondering if you had any job openings. I love kpop and you girls even dance too! I want to be a part of that.”

                Jade finally composed herself and looked over at the tall, thin boy who was looking around with an excited grin on his face. Elle looked confused. “Umm, we never had a boy ask for a job here before.” He nodded and bit his lip. “Well I am very good at singing and dancing and fan service. You wouldn’t have to worry about me flirting with customers, unless you get y men in here often.” Jade started cracking up again.

                Elle started laughing. “I will get you a job application. Bring it back later.” She went behind the counter to search for the application. The boy sat down at the table with Jade who was still unable to contain herself. “So, giggly one, my name is Keji. What are you laughing at?” Jade took a deep breath and wiped a tear off her cheek. “Elle said she was going to pounce the next boy she sees who looks like Jongin and marry him.” Keji smirked and nodded. “I would pounce him too, but marriage would be the farthest from my mind.”

                Jade started laughing uncontrollably again. She seemed to be having the giggle fits today. Elle came back and was holding a large packet. She dropped it on the table in front of him. He looked at it confused. “Why is this so huge?!” Jade continued giggling. Elle smiled. “There is a kpop test attached to it. In order to work here, you need to have an accurate amount of knowledge about kpop. Otherwise, how else would you be able to tell people about it?” He nodded and reached into his bag and pulled out a pen with the EXO logo on it and proceeded to fill out the application.

                The two girls finally managed to get back to work. After only 20 minutes, Keji had brought the application back to Elle, who automatically handed it to Jade. Katie was the owner of the café, but Jade was the one in charge of the kpop theme and hiring. Katie knew about cafés but not kpop. The younger girl motioned for Keji to follow her to a table at the back of the café and they sat across from each other. She started to read over his information. That was all fine, he was 18 and had just moved from Chicago. He was indeed part Japanese.

                She started going over the attached kpop test in the back and the only things he got wrong were about some of the lesser known groups that Jade knew about, like AA or NeverMind. She smiled at him. “You actually got more of these correct than Shelby who already works here. Your score is tied with Elle and Kiwi.” He smirked and sat back in his chair and crossed his legs. “Of course, I’m amazing.” He said winking and bursting out laughing at himself. Jade laughed a bit. “Oh, a diva are you? I think you will fit in perfectly. I will tell Katie I am hiring you and we will tell you when you start.”

                The speakers started playing History by EXO-M. He grinned and leaned over the table just in time to whisper “Listen! Enjoy the mayo!” Jade burst out laughing. “You… I like you. I will make sure to call you later tonight after talking to Katie.” He pocket danced his way out of the café and turned to wave at everyone before leaving, singing very loudly.

                Elle came over to Jade “So?” The younger girl laughed “We have our own Diva now.” Elle started laughing and also looked over his kpop quiz, impressed.

                At closing, Katie came in to get the money from the register. Jade ran up to her. “Katie! I hired someone today! He’s a boy!” she smiled. “He is a diva.” Katie laughed and took the application. “Well, it’s about time we got some testosterone in here. Even if it’s the diva kind.” Elle and Jade laughed. “I think he will probably hit on Cyrus.” Jade laughed. Elle nodded in agreement. Katie nodded. “Gay men are even better. He can start Monday.” Jade nodded and took mental note that she had 6 days to prepare the kpop outfits in his size.

                It was already dark outside and Katie gave Elle and Jade a ride home. Once inside Elle immediately told everyone that Jade had hired a diva boy who actually knew his stuff. Lizzie ran and grabbed a red bull for Jade and grabbed some wine coolers as well. The girls were all excited about their new co-worker. Jade didn’t really have any answers for them. She realized she hadn’t called him yet.

                She grabbed her phone and called the number she had put in earlier. The ring back tone was Electric Shock by f(x). She laughed and he answered. “Hello?” “Hey, this is Jade. I’m calling to tell you that you start Monday. I will need to see you before then to get you measured for our kpop outfits.” She heard laughing. “I already have some kpop cosplays. It’s only 8pm, I could come get measured right now?” She laughed “You want to come get measured now?”

                The girls all grinned excitedly; she knew he was going to come over.

                “Alright, come to our house and we will get you situated.” She gave him their address and he hung up without saying bye. “Well… I guess he is coming over.”

                Not even 10 minutes later, he was already at the door. Lizzie ran to answer the door. Keji was standing there grinning in a furry hooded coat. He came in and brushed off the snow. He waved at everyone and took off his coat and whispered “Keji’s back” Everyone started laughing at his SHINee reference.

                He sighed. “I love this. So much kpop love!” The girls all sat him down and even though he was underage, they let him drink the wine coolers with them. Jade continued drinking her red bull. Soon Elle and Lizzie were going on a rant about EXO butts, Shelby had long gone to bed. Jade grabbed Keji and pulled him into her room, leaving the door open in case drunk Lizzie and Elle thought something was going on.

                Keji saw the UKISS poster and the Christmas presents she had gotten from Luke and laughed. “Eli must be your ultimate.” She laughed and nodded. “Yeah… He is, umm… special to me.” She said as she searched her sewing stuff for the measuring tape. Keji picked up the bird with the ring in his beak that Luke had made. “Did you make this?” Jade laughed “No the bosses’ son made that for me. He told me that since he isn’t old enough to be my husband, Eli will be.”

                He laughed as she stood up with her tape measure. She started taking down his measurements. He suddenly grabbed her shoulders and placed her in front of the UKISS poster, next to Eli and stared intently. “I can ship this.” He said in a flat, matter of fact tone. Jade burst out laughing. She decided that he was going to be one of her best friends. He started laughing as well as she started taking his leg measurements.

                Jade really felt the need to have someone to talk about Eli with, she figured she would find out if this Keji boy would be like her friends and think she was crazy or if he would accept her weird dream relationship. “Keji, what would you do if someone told you that they were dating an idol in their dreams?” He laughed a bit. “Aren’t we all dating our bias in our dreams?” She laughed. “True. But like what if they had recurring dreams that seemed to follow real time. Like if they aren’t actually dreaming but going somewhere else where it’s just them and the idol.”

                Keji thought for a moment and looked down at Jade who was now sitting cross legged on the floor writing his measurements in a notebook. “I would be jealous and demand all details.” Jade looked up shocked. “Seriously?” He smiled and sat down in front of her. “So you are dating Eli in your dreams? Will you tell him to tell Kiseop that I love him?” She smiled and closed the notebook, telling him all about the past six weeks with Eli.

                After about two hours, a drunken Lizzie wandered into Jades room and flopped on the floor next to the two already sitting there. “Sooooo what are you two doinggg?” Jade leaned back against the dresser behind her. “Talking about UKISS, what are you doing?” she said holding back her laughter. “I got bored. Elle went into the bathroom like ten minutes ago and isn’t done yet. I knocked and she answered, so she didn’t die.” Keji started laughing as Jade just nodded knowingly.

                Lizzie suddenly started snoring on the floor, passed out. Jade sighed and Keji laughed even more. “Is it always this eventful here?” Jade nodded as she poked Lizzie in the cheek. Jade took off Lizzies glasses and put them on top of the dresser. “Keji, my friends knew about my dreams at the beginning but they started worrying about my mental health so I told them that the dreams stopped. Shelby is the only one who knows besides you.” He nodded. “Well, don’t worry about it. It’s not like you are running around yelling that you are dating an idol. You know it’s just a dream and who cares if you enjoy it. I would enjoy the crap out of that. I would be doing very naughty things with them every night.” Jade started laughing as they went back into the living room.

                She decided to check on Elle. She had fallen asleep in the bathroom, luckily her pants were on. She laughed and her and Keji managed to drag her out to the living room. Jade looked at the time and it was 3am. “Keji, you can stay here tonight if you want. The couch is free.” He nodded. “So you said you usually go to sleep around 5 am?” She nodded. “Yeah, it’s late enough for me to still be able to see Eli when he finally goes to sleep. Otherwise I just show up at the place and no one shows up the entire time.” He nodded. “Want to watch a movie?”

                She laughed and they watched G.I. Joe to stare at Lee Byung Hyun. After the movie ended, Jade gave Keji a pillow and a blanket and covered Elle on the floor. She then went back into her own bedroom and covered Lizzie with another blanket and changed into a tank top and saw that she only had pajama shorts left. She made a mental note to do laundry in the morning.

                She was suddenly in a freezing room. She looked around and groaned. “Why the Neverland freezer! I’m in shorts!” She didn’t see a door but knew that there should be other rooms. She saw the ladder and climbed it, feeling the cold metal. “Was it actually frozen when it was a set?” she mumbled to herself as she saw the water stage appear in front of her. The sand and snow area was behind her. She groaned again. “Why must UKISS never have furniture…?”

                She decided to stay up here since the side with the water was a bit warmer than the rest of the areas. As usual, she was early for Eli showing up. She patiently waited and about three hours later, Eli appeared in the snowy sand side. He was only wearing pajama pants. He felt the cold before he noticed Jade sitting there. “Ah! What the heck!?” He started lifting his feet frantically until he heard her laughing.

                She was sitting next to the water on a rock hugging her knees to her chest. “At least you didn’t show up in the freezer downstairs.” Eli laughed and ran over to her and automatically wrapped his arms around her and sat behind her. “The actual set wasn’t actually cold!” Jade laughed and cuddled up to his warmth. “You’re so warm! I’ve been here for like three hours.” Eli kissed her. “Sorry. I’m here to warm you up now. Remind me to wear full pajamas tomorrow, socks as well.”

                She laughed and relaxed against him. “And how do you suppose I do that?” He laughed and rubbed her arms, trying to warm her up. “Oh yeah… So how was the first day back at work after your vacation?” She smiled and grabbed his hands between hers and breathed on them. “I was talking with Elle on the way to work and said ‘I like Eli better than Cyrus.’ And Cyrus heard it since he was waiting at the café for his kpop lesson.”

                Eli started laughing really hard. “Good! How did he take it?” She leaned her head against his shoulder. “Elle tried to explain it away by telling him what biases are and things. So he didn’t feel bad or anything. I did teach him about UKISS today though.” Eli smiled against her hair. “Awesome. Did he try anything?” She shook her head. “Nope but I hired someone today! His name is Keji and he knows a lot about kpop too. He’s a diva. It’s awesome. He is staying over at the house tonight.”

                Eli leaned back a bit and looked at her confused. “You let a guy sleep over at your house? It’s a house full of girls.” She laughed really hard. “Don’t worry, I think me and him will be very good friends. I told him about us. Guess what his response was.”

                He thought for a moment and looked confused. “He was jealous I got to you first?” She burst out laughing. “No! He said he was jealous of me and wanted me to tell you to tell Kiseop that he loves him.” Eli started laughing really hard. “Ah I see. He likes boys. I feel much better now. I don’t think Kiseop would be all that happy though.” Jade smiled. “I could always dress him up like a girl and tell you if he makes a pretty girl or not.”

                They sat there laughing for a while. Jade composed herself. “Well the good thing is that he likes attractive boys, he might hit on Cyrus and make him creeped out and go away.” Eli smiled and ruffled her hair. “I would want you to video tape that.” She smiled sadly. “You wouldn’t be able to see it.” Eli smiled sadly as well. “Yeah… Well, you can just tell me about it if it happens.”

                The two of them sat there in silence for a while, Eli tightened his grip around Jade as she shivered a bit. “Why do you keep making music videos in places with no furniture… You really are homeless idols.” Eli laughed so hard he was almost crying. “Well, it’s not like we expected a situation like this to happen!” She smirked and sighed as she pushed him back onto the cold ground and laid on top of him.

                “This is much warmer.” She said smiling as Eli looked grumpy at the fact his was now laying on top of cold concrete. He pouted up at her. “Now I’m cold.” She grinned and folded her arms on top of his bare chest and rested her chin on her hands. “I’m too small for you to lie on top of.” He smirked. “Is that a challenge?” She pouted and started to draw little shapes on his chest with her fingers. “But then I will be cold.” He laughed and wrapped his arms around her. “Ok, I get it. It will be like Titanic, you will be Rose and survive and I will be Jack and freeze to death.”

                Jade started laughed and flicked him on the forehead. “Don’t be silly. Rose didn’t lie on top of Jack in the ocean. You are more like the door.” Eli laughed and rolled over so they were both on their sides. “Then I don’t want to be like Rose and Jack. We can be the nameless people who clung to each other as they froze in the Ocean.” Jade smiled and moved in closer so there was no space between them. Eli rested his chin on top of her head. Jade sighed “I’d actually much rather not freeze to death.”

                Eli laughed and kissed her dark hair. “You’re a dork.” She smiled. “We can be dorks together.” He laughed again. “I’m not a dork!” She burst out laughing. “Have you seen yourself on YouTube? What kind of teenage boy sings A-teens while playing with Legos?” He grinned. “So, you’ve seen that…” She nodded. “I’ve seen most YouTube videos about you. You have a lot of fans by the way.” He nodded in agreement. “Legos are cool…”

                She suddenly felt like they were both there for a really long time. “Well it’s been a long time so one of us might poof soon. Don’t forget to wear warm pajamas tomorrow.” She felt Eli nod. He then lifted her face up to his and kissed her softly. She smiled against his lips.

                Suddenly she was being shaken awake by Keji. “Jade! The smoke alarm is going off!!” She sat up and saw Lizzie run past her bedroom door with a smoking microwave.