Jade Chapter 8

Unworldly Link

                Jade quickly got ready and the girls all arrived at work. She was the MC for today’s event so she quickly ran to the dressing room and put on her outfit. They weren’t in their usual costumes for this show, they had a Christmas theme. She put on her oversized green Christmas sweater and a red and black tutu style skirt with black leggings underneath. She brushed out her hair and put on a Santa hat.

                Elle came in and sat her down to start doing her makeup. “So tell me about your dream with Luhan.” She smiled. Jade didn’t want her to know she lied so she just made up something. “Well, you were there too. You took the two of us and locked us in a bubble. We were stuck in there and it wouldn’t pop so we just ended up sitting in it cuddling.” Elle laughed. She looked excited that she was in her dream. “I would totally lock you up in a bubble.”

                Her makeup was finished and Elle rushed her out to the front. They had to spread out their time before the show with getting ready and working the counter. There were more people then they expected to be here.

                Jade was busy taking orders and making drinks as Shelby was making sure the stage was clean. Lizzie was checking the audio and mics as Elle was getting Kiwi ready.

                Katie arrived with Luke and he ran up to Jade excited. He handed her a gift that was messily wrapped in newspaper. Katie was smirking at her from across the café. The little boy started jumping up and down. “Open it right now!” She laughed and unwrapped it.

                It was a handmade clay lump in the general shape of a bird. It had a plastic quarter machine ring in its beak. “It’s a pigeon! He is going to be your husband someday since I’m not old enough! I made it myself.” Jade started laughing and hugged the boy tight. “Luke, this is an epic present! I will keep it forever.” Luke blushed and grinned and ran to his mom. Jade set it on the shelf behind the register and continued to work.

                After checking on the girls’ progress, Katie came and took over behind the counter. “He worked really hard on that pigeon for you. He is dead set on you marrying a bird.” Jade started laughing “Eli from UKISS is known as a pigeon. He wants me to marry him, not a bird.” Katie burst out laughing. “I feel much better about his present now. But hurry and get ready, the show starts in 10 minutes.”

                Jade ran to the audio room behind the stage. The other girls were already back there. All of them were in their Christmas sweaters. Shelby and Elle both had skinny jeans on. Lizzie had a long skirt with a slit on the side and Kiwi was wearing shorts with long socks. Jade quickly put the mic on and took a deep breath.

                The rest of the girls did a fighting pose and Jade went out onto the stage. She smiled out at the audience as the sound of bells jingling played over the speakers. “Merry Christmas everyone!! I am so glad you could join us this Christmas Eve. I see that there are lots of young people here!” She smiled at the kids who had sat down in front. “Luke. Are you and Katie ready over there?” She asked across the room to Katie who gave a thumbs up and continued setting things up on a table. “Now is the time for the children to go over there to get some gifts and snacks based on the popular cartoon in Korea called Pororo. He is a little penguin who has adventures and learns many things with the help of his animal friends. You also get to decorate cookies.”

                The kids quickly ran over at hearing about presents. Jade clapped her hands and smiled out at the guests who were still watching. “Today is not a regular show where you just watch us perform. Today will be interactive. We will be celebrating Christmas how many Koreans do. They don’t have many Christians, only about 30% of their population. So Christmas has become a popular couple holiday. Kind of like valentine’s day.” Some of the audience started laughing and some girls hid their faces.

                The other girls came out from behind the stage. Kiwi and Lizzie stood over on the left side of the stage, each holding a box with a hole on top and Elle and Shelby stood on the right side of the stage. Jade continued “So if you are already here as a couple, please go over by Shelby and Elle.” The two girls raised their hands and waved as the couples went over by them. Jade smiled “Those of you, who came here single, please go over by Kiwi and Lizzie. They will randomly pair you up.”

                The pairings were all put together. “Alright, now to make this more fun, instead of dates. We will do one of the couple games that the department stores do for contests over in Korea. This game is the back riding game! There are actually two teams, the couples and the singles.” Kiwi put green ribbons on each of the people on hers and Lizzies team as Shelby put red ribbons on the people on her and Elle’s team.

                The door opened and Jade was about to welcome them but she automatically recognized who it was. Cyrus had walked in. She hadn’t seen him since the bus ride a month ago. He grinned at her and walked up to her. “I heard there was a Christmas event here.” Jade smiled politely. “Yes, please come in. Did you come alone or with a date?”

                He laughed. “Are you hoping I came alone?” She tried not to frown. “No, If you came with a date, you have to go over by those with the red ribbons. If you are alone, you must go over by the green ribbons.” He nodded and smiled and walked over to the side with the green ribbons. Kiwi tied a ribbon on him.

                Jade went back up on the stage. “Are both teams ready?” Cyrus raised his hand. “There aren’t any more people for me to pair with.” Lizzie laughed. “You may choose one of the staff as your partner.” Cyrus grinned and pointed at Jade. “I would like her as my partner then.” Jades eyes went wide. “Ehh?!” Elle ran up on stage and took the mic from Jade. “I will host from now on.” She winked and elbowed Jade as she whispered in her ear. “Go be his partner! He is y!” Jade pleaded with her eyes but Elle just pushed her towards Cyrus.

                Elle laughed. “I guess I am taking over for Jade! Everyone get in your pairs. The team that wins will get to have a special prize at the end!”

                Jade reluctantly stood next to Cyrus as Elle explained the rules to everyone. Some of the boys groaned when they found out they had to hold their girl partners on their back the longest. If they were lasting too long, then they had to hold her up in their arms, without putting her down from their back. Cyrus looked excited as the game started.

                He bent down and Jade sighed as she climbed onto his back. Cyrus stood up. “You are really light. We can definitely win this.”

                Christmas carols covered by kpop artists were played over the speakers as they continued on with the game. Some people were getting out as Elle told the boys to all stand on one foot, or jump, or other random things to make the game harder. Cyrus was talking to Jade the entire time. “So how come you didn’t give me your actual number or anything? Just your business card?” Jade sighed. She really had no interest in him. “I don’t usually give my contact info to someone I just met.” Cyrus nodded. “Aren’t you curious as to why I didn’t come for an entire month?”  Jade shook her head. “Not really. To be honest I forgot about you until you walked in today.”

                The tall boy laughed. “You must get hit on a lot then. To forget someone who looks like me.” She laughed. She really just didn’t remember him because she was always thinking about Eli. She was happy already. “I guess so…” she trailed off because Cyrus jumped and there were now only two pairs from each team. Elle smiled “Alright now our remaining couples must make their way up onto the stage.” The remaining couples started moving. “Wait! The girl must move from your back to the front in your arms before you can come on stage.”

                The guests started laughing at seeing the remaining couples fumble around. Jade easily moved her way to the front, almost without any assistance from Cyrus. He grinned as he held her in his arms and made it as the first couple on the stage. The other team from the singles team lost, both couples teams made it. After standing there for about 5 minutes with people left on the teams cheering for them. Elle clapped her hands together. “Alright! Now the really hard part! Men, you must do squats while holding your partners.”

                The guests who were already out started laughing at the guys groaning and complaining on stage. Cyrus was obviously having a hard time with the squats, but kept grinning whenever their faces got closer. Jade was paying no attention to it.

                One of the couple teams dropped his girl, disqualifying them. So it was now only one couple from each side. The kids were even interested now. Cyrus’s squats were getting slower and more strained. The couple they were against had a very big man with a tall slender girl. He didn’t seem to be tired at all.

Cyrus gave up and just sat on the floor, keeping Jade on his lap. Elle and Cyrus were both grinning and both looked disappointed at the same time when Jade stood up right away. Jade smiled and started clapping. “The couples side has won!” Everyone clapped for them as Luke came running up to Jade and handed her two gift bags. He glared at Cyrus who was sitting on the stage. The tired boy smiled at the kid. Luke angrily stuck his tongue out at him and ran back to the kids’ area.

Jade laughed. “The winning team will all get coupons for 1 free drink a piece. We also have gift bags for the winning pair. We have one for the guy and one for the girl. The girl gets an MBLAQ Mona Lisa CD and a Bi Rain poster. The guy gets a Girls Generation CD and a Hyuna poster. If either of you end up not liking your gift, we will gladly take them back.” She handed out the gifts. Elle smiled. “Now, everyone, it’s time for you all to eat cake and mingle.”

Everyone went and sat at tables and the girls and Luke handed out slices of cake to everyone. Cyrus was sitting at a table by himself. Jade decided to go and help Katie and Luke with the kids decorating cookies. Elle, Lizzie and Kiwi all sat at the table with Cyrus. Shelby’s girlfriend had just gotten off work and they were at a table together.

Elle smiled at Cyrus. “So, you like Jade? Judging by how she treated you, you two have met before.” Cyrus smiled and nodded. “We met at a bus stop. She had a broken phone and was getting a new one.” Lizzie sighed. “You hit on her didn’t you?” The boy laughed and nodded, leaning back against the chair and watched Jade as she leaned over Luke and put frosting on his nose. “I mean, wouldn’t you?”

All three girls shook their heads. Kiwi ate a mouthful of cake. “Nope, she hates it when guys hit on her out of nowhere.” He sighed and nodded. “That explains why she doesn’t seem to want anything to do with me.” They all nodded again. Kiwi once again spoke up “Also, you aren’t Korean. Everyone who works here, besides Shelby, is mainly attracted to Asians.” He laughed and ate some of the cake. “Well then, I guess you guys will be getting used to my face.”

The whole table erupted in laughter as Luke smeared frosting all over Jade’s face. The kids were all laughing as well. Jade hit Luke in the back of the head and then made the kids all laugh harder by putting cookies on each cheek and letting them get stuck to the frosting.

Cyrus nodded and stood up. “Alright girls, I will see you again. I am finally back from my business trip so I can come more often. I will see you soon. Tell Jade I will be looking forwards to seeing her again.” The girls giggled as he left.

Soon the customers were all leaving, the last one left at 10pm and they closed up. Jade was washing the frosting off of her face when Lizzie came into the bathroom. “That Cyrus guy likes you.” Jade just nodded, making sure all the frosting was gone. “I don’t like him. So there’s nothing to it.” The older girl nodded. “He said that we need to get used to his face.” Jade sighed. “I don’t want to get used to his face.” She pouted.

Lizzie patted her on the shoulder. “I’m sorry. Maybe he will give up?” Jade smiled weakly. “I hope so... He smells weird. I don’t like it.” Lizzie burst out laughing as they walked back to the front to help clean up the rest.

Once they finally got home, around midnight, Jade immediately went to shower. Lizzie and Elle sat on the couch. Shelby had gone to stay the night with her girlfriend. Elle sighed. “She could have gone to sleep with the smell of man on her, why wash it off?” Lizzie laughed “She said he smelled weird.” Elle sighed. “I thought he smelled pretty good.”

They hadn’t noticed that Jade was already out of the shower. “You can have him then. I don’t want him.” The two older girls laughed as she closed her bedroom door behind her.

She sighed and sat on her bed and stared at Eli on the UKISS poster she had on her wall. “Eli… You smell way better.” She put on a pair of matching red bra and and put on a long white button up shirt and a pair of pajama shorts on under it and went back into the living room.

She sat next to Lizzie on the couch, Elle was in the kitchen and brought out a plate of cookies. “These are for Santa.” She laughed as she sat down and ate one. They all shared the cookies and watched some Christmas specials that were playing. Around 3am, they put their gifts for each other under their tree and all went into their rooms to go to bed.

Jade laid on top of her covers and stared at the ceiling. She couldn’t wait to go to sleep so she could feel Eli’s touch on her skin instead of Cyrus. She flailed around and covered her face. She just stared back and forth from her UKISS poster and the clock. She decided to take off the pajama shorts so she was only wearing the long button up shirt.

She suddenly remembered her Christmas present from Luke and got it out of her bag and put it next to her bed and stared at it, smiling, remembering Eli saying he loved her. It was finally 5am and she let herself fall asleep.

Once again she was sitting on the couch in the same house from the Not Young MV. As usual Eli wasn’t there yet. She sat there waiting till he appeared.

After a while she heard footsteps on the stairs again. She stood up and ran to Eli, clinging to him. Eli smiled and wrapped his arms around her. “What’s wrong?” Jade pressed her face into his chest. “I love you too.” He put a hand on the back of her head and they just stood there silently for a while.

Jade slowly looked up at him. “You smell good.” He started laughing and kissed her forehead. “You are being odd today. Did something happen?” She nodded slowly. He led her over to the couch and sat down, pulling her between his legs, wrapping his arms around her. “So what happened?”

She sighed. “Cyrus showed up at the Christmas event.” She felt Eli tense up a little bit. “Really?” She turned to face him. “I was forced to be his partner for the back riding game.” He frowned. “I thought you were supposed to be MC?” she nodded. “Elle took over when he decided I would be his partner. I had no choice.” Eli bit his lip. “Did you win?” She shook her head. “He couldn’t do the squats with me in his arms. The other team beat us.”

Eli laughed. “Good. He isn’t good enough.” Jade laughed. “He smelled weird too. I took a shower as soon as I got home so I couldn’t smell or feel him on me.” Eli smiled. “I just realized you aren’t wearing pants.”

Jade grinned. “I felt like sleeping in just a shirt today.” She leaned back and stood on her knees on the couch. Eli smiled. “I like it. Some day you should sleep in one of my shirts.” He laughed when she blushed. He put his hands on her hips and pulled her close. “So besides being paired with that guy, how did your event go?” She laid against his shoulder. “It went very well. After the game finished, I helped the kids with decorating cookies. My face got decorated with frosting and a cookie on each cheek.” He laughed and her cheek. “Nope, still taste like Jade.”

She smiled and kissed him gently, his bottom lip. “Still tastes like Eli.” He smiled and kissed her again, wrapping an arm behind her back. He kissed her softly for what felt like an eternity to her. She was so glad to feel his touch again. She had never missed it, since she got to dream about him every night, but once another man touched her, she wanted nothing more than to get back to Eli.

She reached her arms around his neck and they just stayed like that, kissing each other. Eli slowly ran his fingers over her body, easily erasing any leftover sensations from Cyrus. Jade couldn’t even think about anything else existing besides her and Eli.

Eli pulled away slightly and rested his head against hers. “I don’t like that Cyrus guy. You should try to stay away from him.” She smiled and nodded, pulling herself closer to him. They continued to just lay there in each other’s arms. Suddenly he lifted her chin and looked right into her eyes. “I really do love you.” Her eyes started to tear up. She closed the small space between their lips. She pulled away less than a centimeter. She could still feel his lips touching hers “I love you Eli.” She whispered against his lips.

He suddenly disappeared and she lurched forward a bit as she fell a few inches onto the couch. She smiled and laid on her back and covered her face.

She woke up around 1pm with a huge grin on her face and walked out to the living room to open presents.