Hanbok

Your Second Answer

 

Hyejin’s POV

“Umma, I think Hyejin will need to change her clothes. If anyone else sees her like this it will seem bad.” Himchan said to his umma in the kitchen.

“Ah, of course. I’m not sure if you will be able to fit into my clothes. They’re the only ones I have that might fit you.” She said to me.

“I think it’ll be fine.”

“Let me finish with this and then I’ll get you some clothing.” She said as she began chopping some vegetables.

‘The kitchen is so different back in the past.’ I looked around.

“Uh, ajumma can I help you with anything?” I asked her.

“Oh no-no, you can just go rest. I can do the cooking by myself.” He said kindly.

“But I want to help, back at home I use to help my umma whenever she cooks.” I said to her. Although we lived in a wealthy home with the maids doing the cooking, umma cooked once in a while and I usually help her.

“Well if you want to then, come here and help me chop these up.” She motioned me to come over. I walked away from Himchan and over to the cutting board.

“Umma, do we need more fire wood?” Himchan asked.

“No, we still have enough. Himchan go play with Mincha and see if Daehyun needs anything.” She said making him leave.

“Do I cut it like this?” I asked her.

“Oh yes, just like that. Aigoo you’re well taught.” She smiled widely.

“Yes, it’s all thanks to my umma.” I said back.

‘I wonder if umma is worried about me. Doe she even know that I’m gone?’ I said in my head.

“What’s the matter Hyejin?” She asked me.

“I miss my umma” I said softly.

“Don’t be too sad, things will go back to normal someday. Why don’t you just treat me like your umma?” She smiled.

“Can I?” I asked her to make sure.

“Of course, I’ve always wanted an older daughter just like you so that I can teach her all the things she’ll need to know. Mincha right now is still too young and Himchan is a boy. He more like a man since he’s always able to take care of himself.”

“Yes, Himchan is very like a man. Daehyun on the other side is very childish. He probably acts like he’s Mincha’s age.” I giggled with ajumma

“Ever since he was little he was well behaved. Never caused any trouble which a bit of a down side.”

“Down side?” I was confused.

‘Shouldn’t that be a good thing?’ I wondered.

“To tell you the truth it’s a good thing if he causes problems once in a while because then as parents we can help him and get closer to him in a fun way. His abeoji thinks the same. He loves arguing.” She said to me softly.

“He’ll definitely like Daehyun then. The moment the talked to each other they were arguing.” I chuckled.

“You two chose the right family to join in.” She said to me.

‘It wasn’t exactly our choice but it was meant to be.’ I said in my head.

“That’s done for now. Let’s go get you a pair.” She said walking out of the kitchen. When we were back to the main house we met  Daehyun outside.

“Ah, you too, you need to change your clothes. If other people in the village see you, we’ll be in big trouble.” She said to Daehyun.

“Who’s clothes should I borrow?” He asked.

“You seem like you can fit in Himchan’s clothing. Himchan can you go help him.” She pushed Daehyun over to Himchan.

“Yes, umma.” Himchan was very polite. We then continued walking over to the main house and walked into her bedroom.

‘Woah, I’ve only seen these rooms in movies. Never thought I’d be in one myself.’ I said in my head as I looked around.

“You are so thin and pretty I’m not sure if my clothing would suit you.”

“Of course it will, ajumma is very pretty too.” I said the truth.

“Such a sweet mouth. Here try this on, it is the only bright on I have. You’re skin is so white it will stand out.” She said hanging me the clothes.

“Yes, thank you. Where should I change?” I asked her.

“Right behind there. If you need any help then ask me.” She pointed over to the folding wall

“No, I’ve wore this in the past before. It was for a performance.”

“Performance? Like those street performances?” She asked me.

“Kind of like that but it was in a big- big house and everyone came inside to see my friends and I perform.”

“What did you do in hanbok?”

“We were acting, Oh just like the time period right now. One of my friends was the Prince and I was the soon to be princess.” I explained as I changed my clothing.

“It was alright to act as a prince and not be put in jail?” She asked.

“Yeah, The rules aren’t as strict. There isn’t even a king around anymore.”

“What? No king? Then how is the country organized.”

“There is someone similar to the king only he’s more easy going and uhhh less power. It’s very complicated.” I said to her.

“The world probably changed a lot hasn’t it?” She asked me.

“Yes, it changed a lot, from clothing to houses.  I guess I could say things got to be better.” I put it in short words.

“That makes sense, as time goes on, more thing will changed for the better living” She said in soothing voice.

“Umma, how do I look?” I stepped out of the changing area.

“Oh, you’re so pretty.”

“It’s all thanks to the hanbok.” I said back smiling.

“Let’s go continue cooking!” I said.

“Wait Hyejin, We need to tie your hair back.”

“I think it looks cute like this.” I said touching it.

“It’ll catch on fire like that.

“Eh? Okay I’ll tie it up.” I pulled the hair-ties out of my pigtails.

“Oh what’s this?” She asked.

“It’s a hair-tie. It’s very stretch and easy to tie your hair with.”

“Let me tie you hair then.” She asked me to sit down.

“Umma always fix my hair when I was little.” I said to her as she braided my hair. When she reached the bottom I taught her how to use the hair tie.

“There, you’re so pretty.” I looked at my reflection in the ancient mirror.

“Ajumma, you’re good at braiding hair.” I praised her.

“My umma taught me how to do it when I was little.”

“Let’s go cook.” I got up and helped her up as well. I then hooked my arm onto hers like how I usually walk with my umma.

“Is this how you usually walk with others?” She asked me.

“Huh? Oh this way we become closer. For me it makes me feel happy.” I smiled. We walked out of the house to see Daehyun and Himchan on their way out as well.

“Oh-ho look at you.” I laughed.

“What are you laughing at?!” he shouted.

“You!” I giggled.

'He actually looks okay I suppose but his hair totally doesn't match.' I giggled.

“Let me guess, he didn’t know how to wear it did he?” I said to Himchan.

“You are correct. He didn’t know how to wear it.” Himchan said with a small smile.

“Oh, are you smiling?” I stared at his face. Within a second se went back to his straight face again.

“Ehh, I saw it, you can’t hide it.” I giggled. I looked over to ajumma and saw her looking at me with a soft smile.

“So what if I didn’t know how to put it on. You probably didn’t either” He said to me.

“Who said so, I know how to wear a Hanbok, ask ajumma!” I went and hug ajumma.

“Tsk, I’m not going to argue with you.” Daehyun hissed.

“Ajumma let’s go continue cooking.” I said happily.

“So how do I look?” I asked him.

“Whatever you thought of me then I’ll say the same to you.” He said to me.

“Rude” I shouted at him.

“Himchan, how do I look?” I decided to ask him. I was in the mood to hear a praise.

“You look a lot better in these clothing.” He said to me.

‘Ehhh~ can’t he just say that I look pretty?’ I said in my head.

“So I’m not pretty?” I asked him. He then just turned away and left.

“What’s with him?” I said under my breath.

“Don’t mind him Hyejin. He’s just shy. You’re very beautiful.” She said to me.

“You’re saying he was blushing?” I was surprise.

“Yes, let’s go eat before everyone starves.”

“Yes.” I said happily as I rushed to the kitchen.

‘He’s pretty cute.’ I said in my head.

“Hyejin, don’t run. You’re a lady.” She said to me.

‘Ahh Lady-like~’ I frowned.

“Hyejin, are you related to Daehyun?” ajumma asked me

“Related? No, we’re just friends. Not even. He’s my mother’s friend’s son. We don’t get along well.” I said straight out.

“So nothing between you two? Not even planning on getting married to each other?” She asked me making me surprise.

‘How did she know?’ I was shocked.

“O-of course not! He’s definitely not my type.” I said back.

“Type?” She was confused.

“He’s not the kind of man I like. He’s not man enough.” I said to her.

“Why are you asking?” I asked her.

“Ajumma is just wondering since you two came here together.” She giggled, which made me a bit suspicious of her. We then continued cooking lunch and sat down to eat together.

“Unni, you’re so pretty.” Mincha praised.

“Thank you Mincha. It’s all thanks to your umma.” I smiled. We all then sat down for the meal. Although it’s not something that I’m use to but I’m hungry so it will have to do.

“Thank you ajumma for making this meal.” Daehyun thank her.

“Hyejin helped as well.” He patted my hand. Daehyun looked over to me as he forced a smiled.

‘Come on thank me.’ I said in my head.

“Thanks.” He said softly and looked away.

“After eat why don’t you two go to the market with Himchan to buy some clothing.”

“Ajumma, these are fine. Besides we don’t have any money.”

“Aigoo, how are these fine? They don’t fit you properly. They need to measure your body for the right measurements.” She said to us.

“Can I go around looking like this?” Daehyun pointed to his hair.

“We’ll think of something.”

 “If the villagers saw them, they won’t go easy on them like we did.” The ajusshi said to him.

“W-what’s the worse they could do?” Daehyun asked.

“Kuhhh~” The ajusshi slide his hand across his neck and then stuck out his tongue.

“They’ll kill me?!” He was shocked.

‘Although I don’t like Daehyun but I don’t want him dead.’ I said in my head.

“We’ll talk about it later, let’s eat.” Ajumma said and we all picked up our chopsticks.


Thanks for reading~! ^-^