Numbing

I'm Loving You

Sohee was numb. She was litterally walking through life as a zombie. The next day after the incident, she had stayed home from school, laying in bed, and staring into space. Her mind was blank and she couldn't feel anything. Her body did what it was supposed to do, but her mind couldn't concentrate. Her friends would talk, but her facade couldn't keep up. She was numb. 

"Sohee noona." Sohee slowly looked up at the voice.

"Sungjong-ah." Sohee was expressionless. 

"Noona, don't be like this." Sungjong had watched her for the past few days and even if he was torn up about the tragedy, he was nowhere near as broken as Sohee.

"Like what?" 

"Noona, you look like a zombie. You look like you are dead inside." Sungjong held nothing back. He wanted her to know that she was affecting everyone around her.

"I am fine."

"Yeah, that's what they all say."

"I am."

"Well, what do you think hyung would say if he saw you right now?" That made Sohee freeze. She didn't think of that. "He would be so upset at you right now. So is everyone else around you."

"I'm sorry."

"Noona, if you were really sorry, you would be celebrating the life Myungsoo hyung had, not mourning his death. He would be so mad at you right now. He never wanted you to feel this way."

"I'm sorry."

"Stop saying that!"

"I don't know what else to say..."

"Noona, cheer up. Even hyung's parents aren't like this."

 

   

During most of the week Sohee was left in the numbed state. Her friends could not convince her to leave her bedroom, her father could not get her to eat, and her brother could not get her to laugh. Her eyes were vacant and everyone was trying so desperately to get her out of this state. Myungsoo’s parents came to visit her. They were upset at Sohee for being in this state. She was numb from blaming herself for the accident. She blamed herself when his parents thought that she should be happy. They loved her like their own, even if their son was gone. They wanted her to be happy, but no one could convince her of anything. She went to school like she had to, but after that, she went home and would lie in bed all day. If anything, the only thoughts she had were her dreams. They were of Myungsoo. Although she knew he was gone, he felt so real in her dreams. They were the only place she felt content.

“Sohee, you’re home?” Her father was in the kitchen. He took a few days off of work to take care of Sohee, but she was still worrying him.

“Ne.” She walked upstairs slowly, ignoring the rest of what her father was saying. She wanted to sleep. She wanted to be near him again.

She changed out of her uniform and went straight to bed. I’ll be there soon, Myungsoo. Just wait.

 

Jiyong heard about what had happened to Sohee, but he knew he couldn’t do anything. She wasn’t his. Her heart belonged to one person, and that person was gone, and her heart shattered into a million pieces. Jiyong wanted to hold her in his arms; he wanted to tell her everything was going to be okay, but that wasn’t his position. Even the people in that position couldn’t get her to do anything. He felt so helpless that he just stayed away.

“Ji, snap out of it!” Dara was now trying to force feed the silent man. He wouldn’t eat when he heard about Sohee , so Dara came over with her new pasta recipe.

“Sorry, noona, I was just thinking.”

“About?”

“Nothing.” Sohee, I wish I was the one with your heart.

“Well, whatever it is that is bothering you, you can’t let it keep you from eating.”

“I ate.” How can I think of eating when Sohee isn’t?

 “Really? When?” Dara obviously did not believe him. She knew he was torn up, but she didn’t know that it was over her little brother’s ex.

“A while ago.”

“Fine. I’m leaving, but don’t think of me as stupid, Kwon Jiyong. I know you haven’t eaten.” She left the pasta on the table for Jiyong, but he just stared at it. He was worried, but he couldn’t do anything. At least not yet.

 

Jay was saddened by his sister. She was an empty shell. She completely changed into a different person. He was now getting ready for the opening of the club, but all he would think about is if Sohee was eating. His new gang was with six other guys and they were taking care of everything, understanding Jay’s position. They were trying to make things easier for Jay, trusting that Jay would jump right back into his leader position.

“Hyung, just stay home and cheer up your sister.” Taec looked at the miserable Jay and knew that this guy was torn up.

“Yeah, hyung, just go make her feel better. We know what you feel like now. You need to go help her.” Kim Minjun, or Jun.K, the former thug told his new leader. He felt obliged to the guy who saved his life from his former boss.

“Jay, you need to take care of her. She is in pain, and she needs all the help she can get.” Khun was the face of this new gang. His eyes looked kind, but his fists say otherwise. The skilled ex-boxer was kicked out of the ring for being too violent. That’s where Jay came in. He was muttering in English, when Jay came and found the guy about to beat a bartender for not giving him drinks without an ID. Jay stopped the fight and Khun joined Jay’s new gang.

“Should I go help too, hyung? I make a really good banana split!” Chansung was the youngest, but still older than Sohee. Jay saved him from making the biggest mistake of his life. He was going to kill a bully, but Jay found him, and they became really close.

“Aish, this kid. Hyung, if anyone could help, it’s me. I am really good at ageyo, and anyone who doesn’t fall for it, doesn’t have a heart.” Wooyoung was just a bored, violent college drop out that needed a job. He met Jay and Chansung at a café by accident, and they recruited the angry young adult.

“Hyung, you can’t do ageyo!” Junho was the bad-mannered child who got kicked out of his house. He was wandering and Jay offered him a place to sleep if he would do Jay a favor. Junho was apprehensive, but found Jay to be a very good person.

“I’ll be home later. Right now, even if I’m worried, I still have to do my job. Thank you for worrying. I’ll let you guys meet her soon.”Jay was grateful towards these kids. He was in pain knowing that his sister wasn’t herself, but he had to it up for now and get some last minute details ready for the club.

 

Sunye, Yubin, YeEun, Sunmi, and Lim all went to Sohee’s. They wanted to care for Sohee as much as they could. They didn’t know what was going in Sohee’s life during the time Sohee was dating Myungsoo, all they knew was she was that Sohee was never as happy as she had been when she was with Myungsoo. He was the one who cared for her since she was a child. They were best friends. They were meant to be together. They were going to spend their lives together. But he was gone and the girls were powerless. They didn’t know that Sohee would affect them this much. James and Sunye were going to go to Canada to visit his parents, but after the accident, no one wanted to leave Sohee’s side.

“Unnie. Sohee hasn’t eaten for days.” Lim grew worried, looking at her friend’s thin sleeping figure.

“I know, but I can’t help if she refused.” YeEun wanted to cry. She was supposed to be the strong one, but looking at Sohee, she just wanted to cry.

“What are we supposed to do?” Sunmi wanted to cry. She had never seen her friend like this, even when her mother died. She was always so optimistic.

“Guys, we just need to stay strong. We need to show her that everything will be fine. We need to show her that she is never alone.” Sunye was the one who wanted Sohee out of this state the most. She wanted her happy, bright Sohee back.

“Sunye is right. We have to act like we usually do around her. She is hurting, and we can’t hurt with her or we’ll just hurt her even more. It won’t help anyone if we’re the ones who are sad.” Yubin knew Sohee went through a lot, and she knew how happy Sohee was with Myungsoo, but no one can help that such a good person was gone.

“It’s just hard to watch her suffer like this.” All the girls nodded at Sunmi’s statement.

 

Sohee woke up at the sight of five other girls sleeping around her room. She sighed and left them a note before heading out to the park. She needed some fresh air. She needed to get her thoughts together. She needed to think about what she needed now.

I just hurt everyone I run into. I hurt myself. I hate everything. Myungsoo…I need you back. You made me brave. You were there since we were kids. Remember? Why am I alone now?

She sighed and stared up at the stars. They were twinkling and she wanted to smile, but she couldn’t. It was such a beautiful sight, but she didn’t know why she couldn’t smile. She felt helpless. Walking to a familiar park, she sat down and thought about everyone who had been trying to cheer her up. Sungjong was right. She hadn’t been thinking of others. She had been selfish for the past few weeks, but no one dared to blame her. No one wanted to hurt her and deep inside, she was breaking. She fell when she found out and now she is

“Sohee?” It was a familiar voice, but Sohee couldn’t reconginize it. She was isolated in her mind for far too long. She turned around and looked at the person.

“Jiyong oppa?” She hadn’t seen him for a while.

“What are you doing out here? It’s cold.”

“I’m fine.”

“Sohee, seriously.” He shrugged off his jacket and put it around her shivering shoulders. “You have to keep warm.”

“Oppa…I don’t know what to do.”

“Everything will be fine. You’ll see.” He smiled down at her but he could feel his heart breaking.

“How do you know, oppa? My first love just died. I just…I feel so alone…” Sohee’s tears fell and she broke into a sob.

“Hey, hey, hey, I told you that everything would be fine, right? Everything will be. I will make sure of it.” He sat down next to her and leaned her head on his shoulder. “I’m always here, if you need an outsider’s opinion.”

“Thanks, oppa. I really appreciate it.” Sohee sniffled and looked up at Jiyong.

“Hey, no problem. Plus, I wanted to apologize for…you know.” Jiyong scratched his neck in embarrassment.

“Huh?” Sohee looked at him with confused eyes. She then remembered the very…unexplainable moment. “Oh! No, no, I forgot about it! You don’t have to apologize!” Her eyes rounded as he looked humiliated. She smiled slightly, finding humor in his embarrassment, and it melted his heart.

“Okay…well, what are you doing out here at this time of night?” Jiyong needed to make small talk. He was becoming to feel an awkward feeling building between them.

“I just came out to take a breather,” Sohee murmured. She glanced back up at the sky and the stars were twinkling.

“Well, it’s late.” Jiyong wanted to tell her to go home, but he also didn’t want her to leave him.

“I know. I just…” Her tears filled up her eyes again, and she sighed.

“You don’t have to say anything.” Jiyong smiled. 

 

 

A/N:

HELLO! I am SOOO sorry for not updating in SOOO long, but I recently moved houses and did not have internet for a week or two, and I am so behind on homework, it's not even funny. Anyways, I've have this chapter for a while, and I've been waiting for the internet to be installed, and HERE I AM!

I love you all! For those of you who unsubscribed, I am so sorry! I still love you though. :) I love all the people who are sticking by me as well!! 

xoxo,

Jaime T.