Affection (Henry/Kyuhyun)

Oneshot Series

Ever since the beginning, two new members added to Super Junior, Zhoumi and Henry Lau, it seemed as if Kyuhyun had made it his mission to be there for them; both when they needed him, and when they didn't. Because in all honesty, it's never easy being the new kid; it's never easy having to deal with people cursing at you and hoping you die; and it's never easy to be accepted into a group which has 13 members already.

Out of everyone around them, Kyuhyun knew this best, because he had been through it, experienced Hell, and somehow made it out alive, literally. Barely. And so with what he knew in mind, Kyuhyun had three main points that people seemed to neglect; it's not fair, it's cruel, and it's enough to scar a person for life.

There was some sort of expectance, an underlying hope which reluctantly stayed in Kyuhyun's heart that, that fans would accept the two and love them. Because Kyuhyun was hated by both the members and fans at the beginning, and once they had changed their minds about him, it seemed that they all had a shocking realistion: 'We never gave him a chance'. The members didn't give Kyuhyun a chance to open up, to grow fond of who he was, just as fans never gave him a chance to prove himself as a true member of Super Junior. Kyuhyun wanted everyone to remember that, but it seemed, only thirteen souls did.

When Henry was placed in Super Junior-M, a subunit of all things, he couldn't deny it stung just a little. And Zhoumi probably felt the same way. To be a simple, 'extra', someone who would only fill in the gaps because of the all the little cracks they had, Henry hated it. Not to mention how much his own country, his own ethnic race seemed to despise him so; Henry was on the edge of sanity.

But of course, meeting Kyuhyun made it seem alright. He may not have been living the luxurious life he wanted, it may not have been easy, but it was at the very least, alright.

Kyuhyun was the first person to jump to Henry's side, and Zhoumi's. No one could imagine how timid the new maknae was, how shy he was to be placed with a group of seniors who all seemed to be somewhat distant at the time. Kyuhyun was the first person to hold his hand there in that room, smile, and say something probably in Korean which Henry couldn't really make out because his heart was beating so fast. It was half because of the nervousness, and half because of Kyuhyun. No one had ever given him such an openly sweet smile since arriving in South Korea. Not to mention that in Canada, where he lived, people weren't as open when it came to skinship. But though it made Henry feel awkward and dizzy on the inside, he could never honestly say he disliked it. Because he didn't.

As with that simple action, it seemed Henry was quickly accepted, along with Zhoumi. Though the two were only part of Super Junior-M, they all took care of them well. But Kyuhyun the best. Always.

It all started when Henry was featured in the music video and stages of Don't Don, the so called 'fans' cheering the famous phase of, 'Only 13'. Obviously, it was hard to hear, Henry often managing to zone out and continue on his skillful violin performance. But when they were screamed on the street, or seen on the internet, his eyes always became blurred. Henry struggled a lot with his undeserved hatred, but Kyuhyun helped him through it. After every performance, before Henry went to sleep at night, Kyuhyun would give him one of those hugs; the special type, the ones which made everything feel alright.

Henry was new to skinship, especially from males, but he felt at ease when it was Kyuhyun.

Then it was when Henry was officially placed in Super Junior-M, and sent to China along with Zhoumi to promote. Even there, Kyuhyun took care of him well. Chinese, Korean, English; despite the languages barriers, they understood each other well. They helped each other, protected each other, and basically became close friends. At least that's how it seemed.

Though not being fluent with Korean at the beginning, Henry and Kyuhyun already had this sort of connection. It was really hard to explain. While being awkward with his pronounciation and mannerisms, Kyuhyun seemed to just laugh them off as he continued to help the younger. Henry always appreciated that, since he had his fair share of troubles in Korea. People giving him false information and taunting him, nobody ever treated him like Kyuhyun did. And it wasn't uncommon for Henry to feel homesick, wanting nothing more than to be with his family, but as long as Kyuhyun was there, it was alright. Being in Kyuhyun's bed, with the elder beside him, felt just like home; safe and warm and beautiful.

Henry remembered especially on his birthday, living alone in an apartment with nothing to do and not even bothering to go out with his friends. He had woken, expecting nothing special really to happen. Someone had knocked on his door, and Henry expected it to be no one that significant to his life. So as he walked, footsteps heavy, his eyes widened to see Kyuhyun standing there in all his glory, a box in his hands. A birthday cake. 

No one had actually texted him about his birthday, except for fans who somehow managed to obtain his phone number, and Henry honestly didn't mind. But someone, Kyuhyun, had bothered to come and visit him with a cake. And for the first time in a while, Henry felt special, and most of all, he felt loved.

He would never forget that moment.

Whether or not Henry actually 'liked' Kyuhyun was a mystery, because he would never say. When it came to Kyuhyun, Henry didn't speak much about him personally. Only just, 'he takes care of me well', or that 'he's the one I'm closest to within Super Junior'. Very vague often, but enough to give someone an image of how much they cared for each other. Perhaps it was just a crush, or maybe truly love, or it could be just some sort of clingy attachment to someone who took care of you; no one knew for sure. 

But what Henry could definitely say though, was that Kyuhyun was important to him.

It didn't take a genius to notice how Henry's eyes watched Kyuhyun, observing whatever he was doing, and somehow finding something a little amusing and lovely. It also didn't take a genius see how Henry would seem to anticipate Kyuhyun's skinship, tensing slightly, and making no movement to either stop him or change his mind.

Perhaps not love, but at the very least, it seemed as if the younger had a little crush. 

But if someone did say that to Henry, he would have laughed and shook his head.

Because what he felt for the elder was not a crush, nor was it love.

At least that's what Henry thought.

It was more like that type of weird affection that made you sweat; and you want them, you know you do, but nothing happens. You want to be with them, hold them, but since they're unattainable, you don't bother trying. It was that type of admiration and want at the same time; you look up to them, they're everything you want to be, and also everything you want; but the chase is too far and you're nowhere near the finish line. And you know that there's going to be someone better, many of them, who have been running for a while towards the end but have not moved a single step. It'd be unfair to step ahead of them.

Honestly, Henry was completely fine being on the sidelines, watching to see who was going to win the race, and how. He didn't have to participate to know that Kyuhyun was more than everything he wanted, and he didn't have to win to be given the right to, as he put it, 'admire' that person. Besides, he never really felt as if he deserved it. Henry had never really done anything all that special for Kyuhyun, while there were many, many other people who had. All royalty, from famous kingdoms in their own right, and all seeming more than him. But Henry didn't really mind. Not at all.

Henry wasn't really a prince type anyway.

More of a knight, if Kyuhyun ever needed one.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to write something about these two and how adorable they are...~ Just a little oneshot, did you like it? ^^