Chapter 8

On The Run with The Past

 

It was another Sunday morning when Yoona decided to finally continue the preparations for the wedding. With much guilt of putting it aside for a while, she decided to give her whole Sunday occupied with it.

The only thing gone wrong or who seem to not like the idea is the guy who’s already on his 100th time going to the bathroom.

“Taec, can you please stop the loud stomping as you walk? I’m trying to concentrate on something right now” she murmured, brows arcing.

Taec pretended not to hear Yoona’s protest and continued walking back and forth, purposely making his foot step make more noise.

“Aish! Don’t you have something to do with your life?” Yoona muttered from irritation. The noise was piercing through her ears as she tried to come up with the final list of the guests.

“It Suuunday” he sang somewhat cheerfully or more of a product of too much boredom lazing around the plain apartment.

Yoona remembered as her palm reached her forehead. It was Sunday, no work day, and Ok TaecYeon’s day. She must have forgotten that. Every Sunday they would spend time together. Like just watching movies, walking in parks, or eating outside. No can blame Taec for acting like that. He had been looking forward for Sundays for the past five years of his life.

“Help me here first and I’ll think where we can spend the Sunday” she spoke, defeated.

Taec slumped at her side and wrapped a heavy arm around her shoulders.

“You’re inviting your Dad?” he asked, amusedly. Taec wasn’t uninformed about Yoona’s not-so-good-relationship with his father. He knew how much Yoona struggled to escape her father’s grip and the shock he is experiencing now is an understatement.

Yoona, just how Taec did, pretended to not hear him and continued her scribbling on the handy-dandy-journal.

 

After almost the hundredth name like how Yoona wanted it to: with few guests and simple as it can be. She finally told Taec to leave the place.

“Where are we going?”  The curious man asked, as Yoona grabbed the key from his hands and got inside the car.

“Giving you the answer” She smiled.

 

They soon reached the pale and white hallways, having Taec utterly curious of what was happening.

She can’t be sick, right?

The thought of Yoona being sick entered his mind. This can’t be like the movies where the girl with a really serious illness tells the guy before their wedding and then it’s already too late.

Maybe, Yoona was d-dying in a few months…

Taec shook his head and tried to shrug the thought away. Their love story is merely different from what he is thinking. Yoona is perfectly fine and they would be together for long.

Yoona stopped in front of one of the doors standing in the hallway. Taec can tell how different it was compared to the others in the same hallway. If you stand in front of it, like how they are doing right now you can hear heartfelt chuckles emerging from it, making the door not belong in a hospital.

Yoona finally twisted the knob and a family of three welcomed them. A girl around her fifties was sitting beside a hospital bed with a guy holding her hand sweetly. In a corner not, too far from the two, sat a young looking girl with a beautiful smile crossing her pink lips.  The three people inside the room look vaguely familiar but sure enough, it was his first time seeing them.

Then it clicked. He can know see Yoona in them. The man had Yoona’s eyes, the older woman got her gorgeous smile and the younger had the identical features. It was Yoona’s family, the faceless family she used to talk about often.

Taec felt his mouth drying and his breathing harder. He wasn’t yet prepared to see them. He knows he had caused them a lot of troubles and he wanted to apologize so badly but he just can’t have the courage and face to.

Taec watched as Yoona walked towards them and planted a gentle kiss on their forehead as a greeting and stood back beside him.

“Uhm… This is Taec, my fiancée” she spoke so casually it felt like he did nothing wrong. But he was Ok Taecyeon, the guy who stole Yoona away from them. He was the one who caused Yoona to run away and hide from them in an almost five year’s span of her life.

“G-good afternoon… I know this is already years late for a proper introduction… b-but I am Ok Taecyeon and it’s nice meeting you all” he stuttered and bowed as low as he can.

As he raised his head, he saw a small and motherly smile crossed the older woman’s lips while he received nothing but a cold look from Yoona’s father. It may take long for him to put things back together, but he will do everything he can in any cost.

There was a long silence in the room until the pause was ended.

“Why don’t we have dinner first? I packed some foods” Yoona’s mother gently spoke with the undying smile on her lips.

After the unusual dinner inside the small hospital room, the tensions seem to lessen. Taec saw how caring and kind Yoona’s family is. Her mother, who is always smiling, is a teacher in a small private school in their town. You can tell how she loved kids especially the ones that belong to her and Taec couldn’t imagine how much pain Yoona running away has brought them few years ago.

The young girl sitting in the sofa a while ago was non-other that Yoona’s sister. Anyone can tell it by how indifferent they look with each other. She was Krystal, still in school and is planning to be an idol someday. She started her training few months ago but insisted to pursue her studies. She is a really sweet but a shy one indeed.

Yoona’s father, Im JooHyun, is also a kind man. He was often masked with a cold look but if lucky, you can witness the occasional glints in his eyes. Like the world was bringing him all the joys it can offer.

When the night was about to end, they finally decided to leave. It was getting late and Taec’s eyes aren’t cooperating with the dark. He wanted to drive reasoning that Yoona was tired enough to drive their way in the hospital.

After they bid goodbyes, Yoona’s mother sent them to the lobby. Her mother also took the opportunity to talk to taecyeon while yoona was away in the restroom, preparing for another hour of road trip.

“I’m really thankful Yoona finally introduce you to us --” she started.

“—we’ve been waiting to see who was the one taking good care of our little girl and I’m glad it was you” she murmured gratefully.

Taec wasn’t able to say anything but just bowed as he listened to her words.

“You may not understand why we are this thankful. But let me tell you, Yoona is like our precious little treasure and we didn’t want anything bad happen to her. When our company, the one her father built with his blood and sweat, failed and ended up bankrupt… it was the same time Yoona ran away from us. It was the most frustrating year of our life, I can say, but what made it worst was… she was our hope and will always be. We waited and waited for her until few weeks ago, she came back healthy and strong while we are in another big lump. Our hoped relived and like a magic everything went back right though the company, it’s impossible to revive… she brought back much more things”

Taec was getting more and more confused. Yoona’s mother was like talking to codes he cannot clearly understand.

“What are you trying to say?”

“What I want to say is, Yoona is our hope and I wish for you to take good care of her and I’m glad it seems that you are doing just fine”

“No, about the one she brought back more things?”

“Ah, I apologize for making you confused. But Yoona was the one who paid everything for her father’s operation and now she brought our family back. Whole and stronger than ev—“

“What’s going on?” Yoona suddenly appeared; taking notice of Taec’s shocked expression.