Chapter 22

On The Run with The Past

Walking pass through dark hallways and highly secured metal doors is something Jessica wasn't really fond of. The grey painted walls only adds up to the down and gravel look of the place and chills were already felt in her skin.

 

But thinking of what was waiting on the other end, it was enough for her to keep the pace. The safe house wasn't looking much like a 'house'. It looked like an underground facility with security cameras filling up the ceiling and bulky men waiting at the entrance.

 

When she reached the indifferent black metal door at the end of one of the hallways, she drew out the identification ID on her bag and let the scanning machine do its job. The familiar ting sounded and she watched as the door slowly unleash the few locks including the long and fat steel bar that was placed horizontally infront of the door.

 

The brightness of the room hit her eyes and pure whiteness welcomed her. Acclimating with the new found light, she scrutinized her eyes and slowly walked inside. Everything was still the same as she had left it except for the bouquet of flowers lying on the bedside table.

 

"Must be Tiffany's" She thought as she placed her bag down the sofa and walked her way through the plastic chair beside the bed.

 

"How's the big boy doing?" She asked, grazing his thin jaw with the tip of her fingers. He was looking thinner each day and turning more like a zomebie. But wasn't he? Slowly his unbearable condition is stealing a day of his life and that's no different to one.

 

"You've sleeping too long. Don't you know that I'm starting to get impatient and tired of waiting" She humoured with a chuckle but the tear that spilled down her cheek contradicted her words.

 

She gently raised his hands with both her own as she closed her eyes and felt it with her cheeks. It was so cold... so lifeless and diffrent from what she use to remember. The warm and comforting one was lost and now replaced.

 

"Please, please wake up..." She pleaded as tears continously pour down her cheeks. It had been five years... five whole years since Taecyeon fell into a deep coma after he was shot in the head... and up until now, he was still not free from that prison.

 

"I have done something so bad to you and you could only let me pay for that when you wake up... and to also fix that because you're the only one who could... You need to wake up Taec... you really need to before it's too late" She begged with tears blurring her eyes. The guilt that she had been dreading for the past few years since spoke the lie was slowly killing her too and she couldn't forgive herself for that.

 

"I need to say sorry to you... again" she whispered.

 

 

 

 

 

Taecyeon was enveloped in the darkness for so long. Was it days, weeks, or years? He couldn't really tell. Every second he hope that he could escape that place to see Yoona, hug her into his arms, give her sweet kisses, and wake up another day seeing her face.

But all he got was the ocassional voices of Tiffany and Jessica that sounded so distant and most of the words were slurring and he couldn't comprehend. He could hear everything but never once he heard Yoona's voice. The sweet and innocent voice of hers that he was used hearing for everyday basis and would often put a smile on his face.

Where was she? Doesn't she feel the same longing he is feeling right now...

is she still not back?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Is Jo Hyun ready?" DongHae was waiting on the couch for the kid who he had promised to bring to the newly opened mall in town.

 

"He's almost done. Khun's dressing him up" Yoona replied, picking up the scattered toys on the floor and reminding herself to tell Jo Hyon about where he should put them properly. The kid was... well a kid and he tends to forget even though she reminds him all the time.

 

DongHae nodded and waited patiently.

 

"Have you thought about what I was telling you last night?" He suddenly inquired as he watched Yoona put a wooden train on a blue box in a corner of the room.

 

"About the house?" She replied, finally closing the box and keeping everything in place.

 

"Yes. I think it would be great and Jo Hyun would really like it. There is a near park and may be he could make friends there" His idea sounded really nice but Yoona arched a brow after hearing it.

 

"But isn't it our like our fourth time moving houses this year? I am starting to wonder if that's the reason he's being so introvert" She pondered.

 

"But the park would be an oppurtunity for him an--" His words were cut off when the boy's piercing and excited shriek echoed in the house.

 

"Uncle Hae!" Jo Hyun shouted as he ran fast and landed on Donghae's lap.

 

"Ready to go?"

 

"Yes!" he replied as DongHae stood up and carried him to his arms. Jo hyun leaned to his mom for a goodbye kiss before wrapping his arms around Donghae's neck.

 

"We'll be going but think about what I said" He bid his own goodbye to Yoona and walked out of the house with the ecstatic kid on his arms.

 

 

 

 

 

They were on their way to the mall when Donghae's phone chimed inside the car.

 

"Oppa" His younger sister's voice sounded on the other line.

 

"Why are you calling, Tiff?" He asked, turning down the volume of the radio and signaling Jo Hyun to keep quite which the kid kindly obliged.

 

"I need you to do something" She answered with a tired tone. Her voice sounded rough and maybe being a single mother is taking its toll on her.

 

"What?"

 

"It's Taecyeon's appointment with the doctor today. Dr Sauter is coming anyminute to the safehouse and he doesn't have a key. Can you accompany him?" Donghae could hear Steph's voice in the background and Tiffany sounded really busy.

"Can't you come with him or maybe Jessica?"

 

"I couldn't contact Jess and Steph's not feeling really well and I couldn't leave her like this. Beside have you visited our btother since he was hospitalized?" Tiffany's accusing tone irked him and he put the car to a sudden halt which almost made Jo hyun scared.

 

"No need to say that. I'm on my way" He retorted back as he tapped the little boy's mopped hair, apologizing for the sudden stop.

 

"Uncle Hae, what's wrong?" The kid, not being oblivious of the tension, asked with big and innocent eyes as he looked up to him.

 

"Nothing. We're just going somewhere before we go to the mall" He replied with a forced smile and now gently started the engine and back to the road.

 

 

 

 

 

"Jo Hyun, remember your promise okay?" Donghae asked as he slowly unveiled the identification card out his pocket.

 

"I promise I won't tell mommy about this and everything I see will be a secret between the two of us forever and ever" Jo Hyun pleaded and watched as the big door opened.

 

The kid's eyes lit up as the hospital type room appeared in his eyes and a sick man on the bed caught his eyes.

 

"Uncle Hae... who is he?" He questioned, tugging the sleeves of DongHae sweater without his eyes leaving the man's image. The guy looked so sick, thin and... familiar.

 

"He's an old friend of mine. Now, why don't you sit on the sofa over there and play with the stuffed toy I bought you yesterday while me and Dr Sauter checks on my friend" Jo Hyun nodded obediently and did what he was told to.

 

Few minutes later, the doctor was already done with the check up on Taecyeon.

 

"DongHae, I need to talk to you outside. He can hear us" Dr Sauter requested.

 

The two walked out while Jo Hyun was left alone in the room playing with his stuffed toy Dolphin. Few second of boredom and the kid was already up on his feet. Unable to restist his curious mind, he walked at the side of the bed and stood at the plastic car.

 

He took a closer look on the man's face and inspected his features.

 

"Hi Mister. Why are you sleeping so early. Did your mommy ask you to take your afternoon nap because your sick like what my mommy does when I am too?" Jo hyun sighed in disappointment when the man didn't wake up and answer him.

 

"You look like my Uncle Hae so much" Jo hyun thought internally. He sighed for the nth time when silence again welcomed him. He was getting impatient for waiting for his answer so the kid shook the man shoulders.

 

"Can you wake up for a second? I need to ask you something" He continously shook the Taecyeon's fragile body but when the alarming tone of the machine beeping on the side, he froze on his spot.

 

"Uncle Hae!!!" he cried loudly with tear gushing down his eyes, afraid that he had done something really bad.

 

 

 

 

 

"Mr Lee, I'll be honest with you and tell the slim posibility of your brother waking up. But on the brighter side, still there is a possibility. A lot still wakes up after years of coma... If only we could find someone whom his mind and body responds to, he can wa--" Dr Stuart and Donghae were talking when they were interrupted when Jo Hyun's crying shriek escaped the ajar door.

 

"Uncle Hae!!!" Immediately after hearing the kid, the two rushed inside and the sound of the loud and continous beeping of the machine boomed the room.

 

Dr Stuart immediately attented Taecyeon while Donghae pulled Jo Hyun in his arms and watched as the breathe taking scene took place in front of their very eyes.

 

Dr Stuart suddenly stopped and his hands froze mid-air. The beeping stopped...

 

"What's happening?" Donghae asked, unsure of what to do while nursing a crying boy on his arms and rethinking that it was indeed a bad idea to visit him. Tiffany should have tried contacting Jessica again.

 

He met Dr Stuart's grey eyes when the man slowly looked back at him. DongHae tried reading what the man was thinking but it was a clear coast. He felt his heart thumping erratically for the next words the man spoke...

 

 

 

 

"He's waking up"

 

 

 

A/N:

*hides* Honestly, I don't know what's really going on with the story... LOL I hope that I, myself, could really know how I want the story to be. Every time I update, something in the story goes messed up XD

 

But anyways, thank you for still reading the story and god bless you all! 

 

P.S the part coloured in grey would always be a flashback like this.