d a y s i x ❁

Forty-Nine Days

 

Buy gifts for each other.

 

Xiumin knows Kyung isn’t materialistic. In fact, Kyung appreciates anything, even the smallest things, because for her, it’s the sincere thought that counts. However, Xiumin can’t just not buy her a present. Even when he tries to offer to buy something she wants, she would automatically decline and tell him to save the money. He could always work a little harder to earn money.

Before he goes home to their apartment, he stops by at Samcheong-dong to buy something special for Kyung. On his way, he rummages his brain for anything that would make a girl happy, especially when it comes to someone like Kyung who rarely appreciates materialistic presents.

He goes through lots of things before he finally ends up getting something extremely special. He has considered shirts or jeans, but she probably has those already. He even thinks buying a dress for her to wear but then, he imagines how awful Kyung’s reaction must be when she discovers.

In the end, he buys a silver necklace with a heart locket (Kyung told him once that she hated gold necklaces since it’s too mainstream). Usually, jewelry means something deeper than just giving to her as a gift. To Xiumin, it means commitment and loyalty.

He arrives at his flat thirty minutes later. Habitually checking if the necklace is still in his pocket, he trudges on the stairs slowly. Kyung will probably worry as to why he came home late today. “It’s because of the stupid schedule,” he mutters to himself. “Can’t they give us a break?”

More often than not, Xiumin would barge right inside the apartment without knocking. After all, they both share it and pay for it. It belongs to both of them so they can just rush in without having to knock. But he wants tonight to be different. He wants to show it to her.

So he jolts into a halt as soon as he’s in front of the door. He presses the doorbell and waits eagerly, a goofy, childish grin appearing on his lips.

Minutes pass but she doesn’t open. Is she not home yet?

Worried, he opens the door quickly. He feels these quick, little spasms every time she doesn’t respond to him. Bad thoughts suddenly rush inside his head and it instantly makes him wish he never—

He finds her sleeping on the couch, slightly open. She looks tired. Perhaps, she stayed up to wait for me, he thinks as he approaches her. He finds a paper bag between her arms. Slowly, he takes it out and places it on the floor. Then he—

“Oh, welcome home.”

Xiumin blinks. He’s surprised to see her awake. Typically, it’s hard to wake Kyung up, even if she gets dragged. But when she smiles at him, everything seems to disappear in a blink of an eye. So, he thinks of one thing: he’s home.

He’s definitely home.