❁ the wedding

Forty-Nine Days

 

It’s finally the day.

Kyung has forgotten the number of times when she’s dreamt about this—walking down the aisle in a pretty, womanly, white dress, looking pretty, and feeling like the most special woman in the world. There are butterflies in her stomach, and she feels like throwing up.

This morning, when she woke up, there were dark circles under her eyes. She hasn’t got enough sleep because there were series of mixed emotions overwhelming her. At exactly one in the afternoon, strangers with unfamiliar mechanisms invade her room, determined to make her the prettiest woman alive for her special day.

The strangers then ask her to sit in front of a huge mirror and offer her fruits to help scare away the butterflies inside her stomach. On the dresser before her are quite a lot of cosmetics and makeup sets that Kyung isn’t familiar with.

Few minutes later, the strangers start to work.

Kyung loses track around twenty minutes later, because her neck is turning numb and looking at the same place is just getting dull. She lets out a relieved sigh the moment Nana, Yixing’s girlfriend, comes into view with quite a few plastic bags in hand.

Nana explains the things inside the bag are a couple of junk foods, greasy stuff and some beverages just to help lessen down the anxiety—“I know you’re nervous right now, even if your face doesn’t show it, but don’t worry. I got your back.”

Kyung mutters her sincere thanks.

 

An hour has passed and Kyung is almost finished, at least for her makeup and hair. Since Kyung has specifically asked for a light and simple makeup, it doesn’t take the makeup artists a long time to do it. Her almond eyes are more accentuated with dark eyeliner and blue eye shadow, her rosy cheeks in full bloom, and her lips tainted with soft red.

Her long, wavy, dark hair is tied up in a classic bun, adorned with tiny, pale pink flowers and pastel white ribbons. Truthfully, Kyung appears rather different from her everyday appearance.

As soon as the makeup process is complete, the professionals immediately lead Kyung to the next stage: the wedding dress. Nana sticks close, in case Kyung needs anything.

Few weeks ago, Kyung and Minseok both went to a wedding dress boutique for measurements. Since Kyung wasn’t particularly keen on choosing the right dress, Minseok decided to help her out. There were more than a few dresses she sampled before his final dress selection—and trust me, it took them quite a long time.

This is it, Kyung thinks tensely as she stands in front of a full-length body mirror, the rest of the crew running around in such a haste. Right behind her, there are three members of the crew holding the wedding dress carefully, so as not to ruin it. Kyung gets even more nervous.

Once she wears it, there will be a whole new life ahead of her.

And Kyung will definitely be ready.

 

By the lobby, just outside the great hall, is the handsome and completely nervous groom waiting, both his hands tucked in his pockets, with his best man. Although Minseok has rehearsed countless of times on how he shall coolly walk down the aisle without staggering or missing a step, he still feels like he’s going to trip because of the growing anxiety.

This is it, he mentally reminds himself again.

The moment he says I do is the moment he says goodbye to singlehood, and that means no more play nights at the bar with the gang, no more staying out late, and no more to feeling alone.

“Are you okay?” Lu Han asks, breaking him out of his reverie.

Minseok strains a smile. “Yes—no, not really.”

“You look good, Baozi,” he compliments, giving a sincere pat on the latter’s shoulder. “I don’t say it much, or even the others, but all of us are very happy you’ve found the right girl. The only thing we hope for is for you to take care of her, treat her well and love her like how you loved us.”

Minseok laughed heartily. “But how I show my love for you guys is different, and far worse, should I do that to her, too?”

Lu Han rolls his eyes. “You know what I mean, Baozi. Don’t be such a smartass.”

“I’m not used to you being sentimental and overly romantic.”

“Yeah, so ing appreciate it while you can because this will happen once in a blue moon,” Lu Han retorts, nudging Minseok on the arm, before the two of them explode to laughter. When a member of the wedding crew comes up to him and tells him the signal, both of them stop laughing.

The mirth has disappeared, and eventually, gives way to anxiety. This is it. For the last time, Minseok gives his tuxedo a last tug and proceeds to stand right at the end of the aisle. Lu Han stays next to him, a supporting hand on the latter’s shoulder, and waits, too.

 

Kyung has always liked modern weddings.

She thinks that traditional Korean weddings take a lot of time, especially the costumes and the headdress, although she’s pretty sure she still has to undergo pyebaek and meet his parents.

As she prepares to walk down the lobby until she reaches the ballroom, she takes a one deep breath for the last time, trying unsuccessfully to shoo away the little butterflies inside her stomach, before she walks at the signal. The strangers—they’re the ones who helped organize the wedding—offer her congratulatory looks on her way.

She feels like she’s going to trip any minute now.

Numerous questions pop inside her mind every second—is my hair okay? is my makeup okay? what about my dress? oh, my god, what if it’s ruined?—and there’s nothing more than wanting to get it off and just be cool about everything, but she can’t, because it’s wedding jitters. Wedding jitters are supposed to be present on wedding days.

And this occasion is not to be taken lightly anyway.

Once the wedding is over, everything is set—she’s to spend her entire life, until she dies, with the man she’s married to.

Okay. Deep breath. She’s almost at the wedding hall.

The double doors will open, revealing his family, his relatives, his and her friends and a couple of strangers, and she will be on the spotlight. All eyes will be on her. One of the things she hates the most is when everyone’s eyes are on her, like she has done something terrible or good, but it’s not even attention-worthy.

“Congratulations,” the guy with a weird headphone greets her as she pauses in front of the entrance. She manages a smile. “You make one hell of a bride.”

“Thanks,” she laughs. One hell of a bride seems a little too much.

Letting out one shaky breath, Kyung fixes herself with poise.

The doors open.

 

There are approximately 100 people invited at the wedding—friends, friends’ families, friends of friends, relatives, and basically anyone who has shared a connection with either of the two. Witnesses of how both of their lives changed after meeting one another. And now, they can finally see the two being joined in matrimony… until they both shall live.

The doors open, revealing the most beautiful woman in that hall—and maybe the entire world, Minseok adds. His breath hitches, his throat feels dry all of a sudden, and he is drunk at the sight of her, of how special she is and will always be to him. His eyes begin to water.

Kyung, with all the courage she can muster, finds her groom at the end of the aisle. He is dressed in pastel white tuxedo, his hair pushed back in a formal way, and everything about him is just perfect. She is startled once she meets his gaze—are those tears in his eyes? and gradually, Kyung begins to tear up as well.

As if on cue, the wedding march begins, and Kyung tries not to forget the walk she has rehearsed million times while maintaining eye contact with him. She catches him wiping a tear, and she chuckles, because she wants to wipe her tears as well. Oh, how much she has sacrificed for this man.

The quick, whispered congratulations are barely heard while she saunters down the aisle. So as not to feel conscious with the stares, Kyung diverts all her attention to Minseok, Minseok and Minseok. I love you is left unsaid, but implicit.

A couple of strides and she finally reaches him, both their eyes locked together. He holds his arm out, his eyes a little moist, and he beams at her. She loves his gummy smiles; it shows what’s inside his heart the most. Kyung hooks her arm through his, and instantly, she feels right at home.

“You’re so beautiful,” he whispers, his voice breaking.

“Are you crying?” she asks quietly, though she knows that he knows she’s crying, too.

“No, there’s just something in my eye.”

“Well, I think,” she squeezes his arm tighter, “you’re the most beautiful man in the whole world.”


i would like to express my most heartfelt gratitude to the 120 subscribers who stayed throughout the story.

although i didn't quite expect that this would reach a 100+ subscribers ((seeing as this is merely a drabble-like story)), im still thankful.

i hope you continue to support my other stories as well! thank you x