25-Love Bites

Love Bites

 

 

“Hyemi, I hate to say this to you now, especially since you probably don’t care much about me anymore, but I want to apologize to you for acting the way I have been the past few days.”

                Hyemi doesn’t even have to turn around to confirm who was talking. She remembers the warmth that radiates from his body. She recognizes the scent which lingers on his clothes from morning until night. She recognizes the voice because it always plays in her head like a broken record. Hyemi doesn’t recognize, she knows who it is.

Maybe this is what they mean when they talk about love.

“Hye-mmmf,” Jae tugged Sunggyu’s collar, stumbling him back to land into her arms. He gave her a pout and Jae smiled in a loving manner.

“Sunggyu-ah, let them have some fun while they’re young.”

“Bu-but Jae! She’s still too young!”

“Oh be quiet, she’s already in her 20s. If she’s alright living on her own with two boys, then she can manage without you tagging along wherever and whatever she does.”

“That’s the spirit I love to see,” the couple turned around to see an old man wearing a black tux with shiny shoes and white hair, his smile made his eyes turn into half-moons.

“Father!” Sunggyu’s jaw dropped, jumping back onto his feet and tried to let his temper sweep away from his mind.

“Father?” Now it was Jae’s turn to have her jaw drop, “Sunggyu, if I knew your father was coming, I’d dress in a more decent attire,” she hissed to her love, but as he was about to respond, his father’s booming laughter cut in.

“It’s alright. Just knowing that my future daughter-in-law is going to be this energetic makes me feel at ease.”

“Future daughter-in-law?” The lovebirds stared at each other, to Sunggyu’s father, and back to each other.

“Well, isn’t that what you are going to be?” Sunggyu’s father asked, quickly turning to Sunggyu and stared at him in an accusing matter, “Don’t tell me you’re not going to practice what you preach. You’re always going off on the phone about how Hyemi is too old to date and do ‘adult things’ when clearly you haven’t wasted your time on doing those things either,” his father’s nose scrunched up, and as far as Jae thought, the resemblance of the hamster must’ve been passed down by the father to the son.

“Oh hush you old geezer, I can’t hear what the two are saying.”

“Sunggyu! How many times have I told you to respect my privacy?” Hyemi knocked Sunggyu on the head, creating ripples of laughter from the others. Daeryong whispered softly into her ear to not hit people and violence isn’t cute, but nevertheless he put his arms around her waist.

“I guess this means you two are back together, right sis?” Jae nudged Hyemi by the arm, raising her eyebrow in a teasing manner. A red tint crept onto Hyemi’s face, but that didn’t stop Jae from teasing her. It wasn’t until someone caught her eye that Hyemi excused herself.

“Hey,” Hyemi whispered softly, so soft that only the two of them could hear it.

“Hey,” Woohyun whispered back as he smiled with all the strength left in him, but his eyes weren’t showing the sparkle it always did. The two stayed silent, sitting side by side on the bench, and watched the guests interact with each other. Some danced with strangers while some preferred to stay in their own groups and gossiped while sipping on some wine and ate dainty dishes of desserts.

“I’m-you first, no you. No go ahead,” Woohyun and Hyemi laughed at their own silliness and it felt like they were teenagers once again. The awkward, tense feeling between the two rose again. It was just like the good ol’ days.

“I’ll go first,” Woohyun cleared his throat, “Hyemi, I’ve been acting like a jerk. I was afraid I was going to lose you if you were with one of the twins and it took me a while to realize that I wasn’t the one who would give you complete happiness. You are the happiest when you’re with him and frankly, I’m not the type of man who would ever shield a girl away from her knight on the white horse. Hyemi, I want you to be happy. Think of yourself, for once, and understand I’ll be okay.”

Hyemi smiled, nodding without any hesitation and thanked him for understanding. She wiped away the tear that threatened to come out from the corner of Woohyun’s eye, caressed his cheek, and pecked it lightly.

“For old time’s sake,” she smiled, again, before walking back into the ballroom. She soon saw her friends mingling around with her new lover, asking him questions like where he works and what does he like about Hyemi and all those other questions friends ask to their friend’s new boyfriend just to see what type of person he is.

Love doesn’t always end in happy endings with every guy getting the girl of his dream. Sometimes there are the broken hearted in which they are left alone in the dust and to have their eyes wonder on to the stars with thoughts running around their mind. When is the one coming? Am I always going to be alone like this? Those types of thoughts run around and around, but one day, on the most random day, the one is going to show up. There are those with the fairy tale ending, like Hyemi, who get the boy of her dreams. There are those with lost loves and newfound loves. One day, love won’t bite your heart. It won’t rip it to shreds. One day, love will bite you in a way that’ll make you jolt in joy because you found the one.

A/N: thank you so much for supporting me until the end. This story is the first story I've had so many subscribers and throughout the rought waves, all of you have supported me, messaged me, critiqued me, and commented about this story. thank you so much. I have to say, this is the story I am the most proud of on AFF. This is the end, but I hope I get to see all of you again soon:)

Hugs to all of you!

xx,

petitepiano