16-Old Friends

Love Bites

 

Hyemi never expected a situation where she would be stuck contemplating on working or lecturing. But being the great girl she is, Hyemi was able to do both at the same time.

“What would you like to order,” her eyes turned into a glare, irritated with what she saw. Sunggyu was sitting between the twins in the booth, arms around their shoulders as he smiled widely.

“Why so cold, sis? Your brother brought your favorite teacher and friend to see you working hard!” Sunggyu turned to the twins who nodded their heads nervously. The two hadn’t thought that it would be like this. If Daeryong wasn’t talking so loud over the phone when Soryong called with a plan to surprise Hyemi, Sunggyu wouldn’t have come along.

“This is all your fault,” Soryong looked over to the older sibling as he stuck his tongue out. Daeryong only clicked his tongue, making a ‘tch’ sound.

“I didn’t ask for you to come,” Hyemi replied, “If you’re not going to order, I want you to leave.”

“Fine, you leave and I’ll get a different waiter over here. Waitress! Yes, will you be so kind enough to get our order?”

Sunggyu POV

The waitress walked over timidly, her hair was tied up and her bangs were hovering over her glasses. She stopped a little bit behind the edge of the table and asked for our orders.

“Thanks for taking our order Mrs-“

“Jae, just Jae,” the girl looked up and she looked so familiar. I just couldn’t put my finger on it…

“Thanks, Jae. Unlike somebody who should be doing their work, Jae is doing her job just fine!” I shouted deliberately so that Hyemi would look over all annoyed. I just love torturing my sister for no absolute reason.  I reached out for the cup of water on the table as I let my mind wander off to Jae.

Jae is the name of Woohyun’s girlfriend, but I know a different Jae from another time. I know I know this because I was in love with a girl named Song Jae before. She was a bit younger than me back in high school. I was so young back then; I miss the old days of not having to wonder about work and having a sister who is constantly on your tail about it. But that girl, Jae, always knew how to brighten my bad days and make me laugh so hard that I’ll be gasping for air.

Now that I think about it, didn’t the tag on her apron say Song Jae? Maybe I’m being imagining things from all of that work. After all, it’s Korea; I’m sure they have a bunch of Kim Sunggyu’s somewhere in this country. I’m pretty sure Jae had glasses and black hair styled like that though. She was hid her beauty. I can’t believe that she’s never had a boyfriend or gotten a pair of contacts. If she did, all the boys would be over her so I guess it’s good that she doesn’t have any glasses on.

“Hey Sunggyu, I heard that you’re visiting,” I turned my head to see Woohyun scooting in next to Daeryong.

“Hey man, what’s cooking?” I nudged my chin, putting the cup back to the table.

“Your food, that’s what’s cooking. Have you seen my girlfriend?”

“Girlfriend? You have a girlfriend?” Daeryong shot up from his seat, eyes glistening with hope and stardust. Probably because he thinks that there’s less competition…like that’s going to happen. I am the protector of my sister and I will not let anything bad happen to her!

“Yeah, it’s Jae. You know, black hair, bulky glasses…the girl who got your orders.” The twins sang a string of ‘Oh’ and seemed so giddy. When Hyemi passed by to tell Woohyun to get back to work, the two dashed to Hyemi and started to go all over her.

“Hyemi, can we go out after work?”

“Hyemi, can you make us omurice?”

“Hyemi, let’s go shopping instead!”

“No, Hyemi! I’m hungry from all the dancing, let’s eat!”

“I’m at work, you two.”

“But Hyemi-“

“No! No, no, no, no! I’ll take care of you two when I see you at home. Now, go and leave me at peace, okay? Please, don’t look like that; you know I hate it when you guys give me that look. I’ll make something extra nice and rent a DVD for us to watch tonight, okay?” Hyemi darted towards the door with Soryong and Daeryong trailing after her. She waved goodbye as she sent them off.

I guess, boys will be boys.

“Here’s your order!” I shot a glance to Jae as she set my coffee and scone on the table. I was still very curious as to if she was my Song Jae that I knew before.

“By any chance-“

“Yes?” She turned around on her heels with the tray in her hands.

“Did you go to Hwa High School?” She tilted her head in amusement, but she had a confused look on her face. She only laughed and nodded before walking back to the counter.

So I guess I was right. She is my Song Jae.

--

No One POV

Jae blew air to her bangs, hating that they were going over her glasses. If only she hadn’t lost her contacts this morning (probably tossed somewhere in the pile of papers on the floor), she wouldn’t have to wear her old high school glasses.

High school seemed like such a distant memory for her. It’s not that she hated high school; it’s just that Jae wasn’t the type who was so interested in high school. She strived for higher education and when she met Sunggyu (who was a 3rd year student by then), Jae was so interested in the process of the paper work, the annual tours around the colleges, and so on. She loved that Sunggyu allowed her to follow him around, but now that she thought about it, where is he now?

Jae sighed. She felt stupid for not asking for his phone number or his email or any sort of contact information after Sunggyu graduated. It was too late though; she and Woohyun are a couple now and she’s glad. She’s moved on from the idea of being with Sunggyu because it would have never happened. Jae kept telling herself that it wasn’t in the stars.

Carefully dragging the trash, she placed it on the side of the wall. Jae opened up one of the trash bins outside before tossing the bag of waste inside. She was about to go back to the door, but a hand stopped her from going anywhere.

“Song Jae,” she remembered the voice. It was clear and calm, a voice she could hardly miss.

“Song Jae, where’d you go this whole time?”

A/N: sorry about the really really bad high school name…it was pretty random and I didn’t want to be like SM High School or whatever because honestly, I find it somewhat weird and overused (even though I named the university Wooliment)

So…who exactly was the guy who stopped Jae from going back to the store? And I prooomise I’ll add more Hyemi/Twin action! I’m so caught up with Woohyun/Jae plus Sunggyu so I haven’t been able to write much about them:c

Just to clear things up: Woohyun went to a different high school, same with Hyemi^^ Woohyun, Hyemi, and Sunggyu are childhood friends so that’s why they know each other so well^^

Thanks for all the comments! I’m glad you guys like the Woohyun/Jae pairing, BUT something might just happen mwahaha

I apologize for any grammar/spelling errors~~^^;