Chapter 4

My Guardians

 

KwangMi woke up later than usual. Her eyes were swollen and red. The house was silent.

“She’s really not here? I wasn’t dreaming?” KwangMi said to no one. She felt tears form. She slowly and painfully got up from her bed. KwangMi cried to herself in the bathroom. She had never felt this lonely. She looked at herself in the mirror.

“I look horrible. Umma wouldn’t want to see me like this. Get over it KwangMi! Keep going, be strong!” KwangMi tried to console herself, but it didn’t work. KwangMi finally dragged her feet downstairs to eat breakfast. She heard voices from outside as she grabbed a box of cereal.

“Okay Luhan, all you have to do is open the door.” A low voice said.

“Why don’t you just knock?” A slightly higher voice asked.

“She was just attacked by Strikers. I doubt she’d open the door, Luhan.” The lower voice said a bit annoyed. KwangMi grabbed a knife and walked towards the door slowly. She heard something break outside.

“No! Not the flowers! The door!” The low voice yelled.

‘What is going on out there?’ KwangMi thought as she walked towards the door. The door suddenly swung open, just missing her face.

“Good job Luhan!” KwangMi looked terrified.

‘How’d the door just open like that?! I definitely did not unlock the door!’ KwangMi thought shocked.

“KwangMi?” One of the people in front of her called. She was brought out of her thoughts.

“W-Who are you?! Why are you in my house?!”She tried to pull out her knife, but dropped it instead. She started to step back.

“KwangMi have you really forgotten me?” The man with the low voice asked. A hint of sadness could be heard in his voice. She relaxed a bit and looked intently at the man’s face.

‘Appa.’ She realized.

“A-Appa?” She croaked. suddenly became dry and tears started to form in her eyes. Luhan’s expression softened and KwangJoo took a step forward.

“Where’s your mother KwangMi?” He put a hand on her shoulder. Tears started to roll down her cheeks. She tried to cover her face with one of her arms. She pointed outside and continued to cry. KwangJoo raised an eyebrow, as did Luhan.

“She’s outside? Why?” Luhan asked. KwangMi started to sob even harder.

“S-She’s dead.” KwangMi said in between her tears. Luhan’s face hardened as did KwangJoo’s. Suho didn’t tell KwangJoo Soomi died.

“Luhan console her.” KwangJoo ordered as her swiftly went out to the back. Luhan uncomfortably hugged her and said somewhat consoling words. KwangJoo saw an uneven piece of land and a flower on top of it.

“No, this can’t be true! Soomi, my love.” KwangJoo cried as he kneeled next to the grave.

“Sir?” KwangJoo recognized it as Luhan’s.

“Yes. I’m coming.” KwangJoo said as he wiped his tears and got up.

‘Sleep well, my love.’ He said giving the grave one last glance as he went inside. KwangMi sat lazily on the couch eating a bowl of cereal. Her attitude changed completely from what it was before.

“So why are you here?” KwangMi asked full of cereal. KwangJoo looked at her in a bit of disgust seeing the way she ate. He closed his mouth and cleared his throat.

“KwangMi, I think it’s time for you to become princess.” KwangMi almost choked on her food.

“What? Princess? Now?” KwangJoo nodded. “Aniyo, I can’t. I don’t have any powers. They’d find out I’m half human.” KwangJoo thought on this.

“That’s not true. They don’t have to know. Vampires don’t have to get their powers until they are 18. You still have 2 years. They wouldn’t know you’re half human. Plus, if you get your powers, you’ll be considered a full vampire. What they don’t know won’t hurt them.”

“But it might hurt us eventually. If they find out on their own that you were lying, bad things would happen to the Exotics and to humans. And what if my powers don’t come, then what?” KwangJoo’s face stiffened. He hoped she wouldn’t ask that.

“Well, that won’t happen. Have faith.” KwangJoo said sincerely. KwangMi’s expression softened.

‘Maybe having faith will work. I have to stop stressing myself out.’ KwangMi scolded herself.

“But what about Umma?” KwangMi whispered shyly. KwangJoo smiled softly and sat next to her.

“Your mother will always be in here for me.” KwangJoo said pointing to his heart. “What about you?”

“Of course Umma will be in my heart!” KwangMi said startled by his question.

“Then what is there to worry about?” KwangJoo asked putting a hand on her shoulder.

‘Umma would want me to go back to Appa, It’s safer there anyway. He has guardians.’ KwangMi thought.

“Arraso. I’ll go with you.” KwangMi decided. Luhan and KwangJoo smiled. KwangMi went upstairs to collect her valuable things. She picked up a picture of her mother and gazed intently at it.

‘Umma, we’re going home with Appa, just like you’ve always wanted.’ There was a knock on the door to bring her out of her thoughts.

“Come in!” She called to the person at the door. Luhan walked in.

“Princess, it’s time to go.” KwangMi zipped up her bag and swung it around her shoulder.

“Don’t call me princess, I hate it.” KwangMi said as she passed him. Luhan bowed apologetically. The three of them walked out of the house. As KwangJoo and Luhan walked out to the car, KwangMi stayed behind for a second.

‘Goodbye home. Goodbye human life. It’s time to face the facts, I’m a vampire.’ KwangMi caught up with her father and Luhan. They piled into the car and headed back home; KwangMi’s new home.