Chapter 7- Keeping it "Natural". Keeping it "Real"

Superiority Complex

 

She was trying her best not to fall down. As she walked down the hallway, hoping not to topple over, all she could remember was when she was in High School. They had a batch night and everyone was requested to wear formal clothing. Jackie lent her a dress and bought her shoes. Never did she imagine that Jackie would be buying her three inch heels. It was a pain to walk in them. She ended walking barefoot that night.

“Could you hurry up?”

“I’m trying my best not to fall, so could you not rush me?”

The driver assisted Amber into the car. It was supposed to be a 20-minute drive to the restaurant where they’ll be having their lunch but the traffic in that part of the city didn’t do them any justice. Amber was staring outside the window of the car looking at those who’d randomly pass by. She remembered back when she was a student that she’d always look at the streets before she went home.

“I have to warn you that I have no experience with love or whatsoever…”

“I kind of figured that out.”

“Now, what do you mean by that?”

Key then looked at her. “Do I have to answer that question? I mean look at you. If it wasn’t written in your resume that you were a woman, I would’ve assumed you’re a guy the first time I met you.. I can’t blame the male population if they mistook you as one of us.”

“Ohh shut up! (merong)”

Another brief moment of silence followed not until Key reminded Amber to act sweet or unless it is a sure that his mother will get suspicious.

“Also, don’t talk too much when she talks to you..”

---------------

They arrived after ten more minutes of dealing with the traffic. They stopped by what looked like a five star restaurant. Amber looked like a little kid that has entered an amusement park for the first time. She uttered a “Wow” while the driver was assisting her to get out.

Key was waiting for her while he stretched out his arm telling Amber to wrap her hand around it. The girl doesn’t seem to get what he meant not until Key grabbed her hand and put it on his arm on his own. The girl flinched with the boy’s actions but she had to.

The two of them went inside with Amber’s hand wrapped around Key’s arm.  It was a little awkward but they had to deal with it until the ordeal is over. They walked further into the restaurant until they stopped at one of the tables. Amber’s heart was beating like crazy.  A woman was there who welcomed them with a smile. She was beautiful. Amber gauged she could be in 40s yet she looked so youthful. She wore a purple dress and diamond embellished jewellery. In fact everybody in that restaurant wore fancy jewels draped around their necks.

“Eomma..”

“Hello dear. Please take a seat…”

Key made way for Amber before they sat down.  Amber kept her eyes on Key’s mother. She was too good to be true actually. She was majestic. You wouldn’t miss her if you walked on the streets. She had porcelain like skin and beautiful doll like eyes. She could be mistaken as a foreigner if you didn’t know she is Korean in the first place.

“How have you been my son?”

“I’ve been good.. The company is doing great so I couldn’t really wish for anything more..”

“You brought someone.. Is she the one?”

Key grabbed Amber’s hand and held and raised it to show it to his mother. “Yes eomma. She’s the one I was talking about. Isn’t she perfect?”

Amber was internally disgusted with Key’s words. She can’t believe he was the same man.

“Nice to meet you…?” Key’s mother asked with her hand reached out.

Amber reached in for a shake hand.. “Nice to meet you too, Madam. It’s Amber.”

“Amber? I heard from my son that you were from the USA? Is that correct?” She asked in English. Amber nodded a yes.

The three of them started to engage a conversation but Amber was feeling a little lost. She doesn’t know what to do. She was completely blank on how to act sweet towards a guy. She’s a “No-Boyfriend-Since-Birth” type of girl. Yes, she had her crushes but nothing serious. And yet, there she was “married” to someone she can’t stand to be with.

She’d fake a laugh or giggles occasionally but Key noticed how awkward it was getting. He then reached to whisper something into Amber’s ear which made Amber blush bigtime.

“Do what you’d see in dramas.. Play with me or she’ll get suspicious.”

Amber was flushing red even though Key already moved his face away from her. She’s never been that close to anyone before, let alone a man. Thinking back on what he said, to act like what she saw in dramas, Amber gave Key a light smack on the arm. “Oh you! Don’t say that.. We’ll talk about it when we get home.”

Amber then leaned her head on Key’s shoulder. It was awkward but believable enough. “Yeobo, why don’t we order? Shall we?”

Key called on a waiter and he ordered them wine and streak courses. Amber on the other hand would occasionally slice a piece of her steak and feed it to Key. Key would smile so pretentiously and Amber would pinch the boy’s cheeks as if she was more than happy that he ate it. It was a funny scene to watch actually. It was as if they were doing it sarcastically.

They talked for several more minutes until Key’s phone ringed. It was from the office. It said that he is needed to be at the office since a client was coming over to talk to him. Minho wasn’t around to take charge.

“Eomma, I’m afraid my wife and I have to go. I’m needed at the office and I want my wife to be with me..”

“Do you have to leave so soon?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“I see then..”

They all stood up. Key gave his mother a quick hug and so did Amber. “Maybe next time we’ll get to talk more. I want to know you better, okay?” She said. “No problem..” Amber replied.

The “couple” went to the car only to scurry away from each other once the doors were closed. Amber enjoyed the food but she was mentally puking because of all the things she did inside. Key on the other hand brought out wet tissues from a compartment, took out a sheet and wiped the cheek Amber pinched earlier..

“What the?! ARRRGGHH!”

“I’ll drop you off at the condo. Your things are inside the room, get changed if you want. A car would be waiting at the parking lot and take you home.”

“Oh, wow. I thought you needed me by your side when you talk to the client?” She said sarcastically.

“Oh, yeah. Poor me is so useless when you’re not around… NOT!” He answered back.

---------

 Amber was dropped off at the condo and the car went on ahead. She headed back to the condo unit and found her things by the bed. She changed her clothes and left the dress she wore on the bed. She left it neatly folded and went off.

The car brought her home in no time. Their neighbours would always stare at the car everytime she’d get out. She didn’t know any of them but the stares kind of shamed her. It felt as if she was doing something wrong everytime the car was there.

“I’m home!”

Jackie went out of her room.  Amber headed to the kitchen. “Hey twirp, where did you go?”

“Nowhere.. Just at work.” Amber replied while opening a bag of chips.

“Really, work? Isn’t it a Saturday? You haven’t worked on a Saturday before.”

“They called me in okay? Stop asking.”

“Fine fine.. Dad was able to take his medicine already so no worries.”

-------------------

Wednesday came and Amber has finished working on the top portion of the mural. She moved to a lower level of the scaffolding and started working on it. In almost three hours, she was able to finish that portion of the mural. Proud of herself, she gave herself a pat in the back. “Well done, Amber.. Well done.”

Since it was still early, Amber decided to bug Hyorin and Sulli. Woori was busy at the front desk and Jia was at a different location that day. The two latter girls were surprised that Amber was there so they asked what she was doing. Amber said that she had no other things to do so she asked if she could tag along and help. The two didn’t mind, they let Amber help with printing, passing on of files and the like. Amber didn’t complain and even found it entertaining.

She checked the time, 3:00pm. Amber excused herself and went to ride the elevator to Key’s office. Their bills came in the other day and they had to be paid by the end of the week. When she arrived, she knocked and peeked in. But instead of finding Key, she saw Minho inside. Amber tried to close in the door but Minho invited him in.

“Hello. You’re the one that is painting the mural at the lobby right?”

“Ahh, yeah..”

“So, what are you doing here?”

“Well. I ughh..”

Before Amber could finish what she was saying, Key came in from the meeting room. He was surprised to find Amber there since he didn’t call for her whatsoever.

“Hey Key.. I’ve finished proofreading the proposals Taemin made. He asked me to hand them over to you. Perhaps tomorrow, if you have any corrections, I can receive the documents so Taemin can finish them asap. I was waiting for you to tell you. So, I’d be going okay? Don’t forget.”

“Yeah.. Tomorrow. Thanks Minho.”

Minho then bowed and left bidding Amber a goodbye.

“Is he your cousin? You two look nothing alike.”

“Stop that, will you? What do you want? I didn’t call for you or anything..”

“Ahh, well you see our bills came in the other day..”

“Ohh, just place them on the table and I’ll be paying them tomorrow.”

Amber placed the bills by the folder and whistled. She looked around the office it was if she was waiting for something.

“Is there something else?” Key asked.

Amber then quickly sat down on the couch and looked like a little girl that would be asking something from her dad..

“Well?”

“I was just wondering what your mother told you about the other day, when we ate lunch?”

“We haven’t talked or anything but knowing how she is, she’ll call maybe in a day or two. Why?”

“Nothing, I’m just curious that’s all..”

Amber then stood up and made her way to the door. “I just want to say thank you.. For the bills and all.”

“Yeah, yeah.. Go. I’ve got a lot of things left  to do.”

---------------

Amber went out of the elevator with a smile planted on her face. It was kind of petty but she felt so happy. She has never breathed such light air in such a long time. A lot of burdens have been lifted off of her shoulder which was definitely refreshing.

“Hey, eonni.. Why are you smiling?”

“Hmm? Smiling? I’m not smiling.”

“You were.. When you came out of the elevator.” Sulli then gasped. “A boy! You were talking to a boy weren’t you?”

“What? No Ssul.. I wasn’t talking to anyone okay? I’m just happy.”

Amber left and made her way. Sulli was actually right on the fact that she was smiling but not because it was she talked to a boy or anything. As much as she dreads to be “married” to Key, she does owe it to him to take care of the bills and her dad’s medical needs. They were expensive and ate up most of Amber’s salary. While walking home, she saw a pastry shop and she peeked through the window.

-----------

“Jackie, Appa? I’m home.”

Amber proceeded to the kitchen and placed the cake she bought at the table. Jackie saw the box and asked if it was cake. Amber nodded and Jackie was more than delighted to find out that it was a Triple Chocolate Cake.

“Oh my gosh, Amber! Thank you..”

Amber only waved her hand to say it’s nothing. She went to the comfort room to take a bath. Finally, after such a long time, she can say things were a little sweeter.

-------------

Key went home feeling a lot less tired than he used to; most of the time, when he finishes work, he’d go straight to his bed and sleep to drift himself to dreamland, but not that day. He actually had the energy to eat with Suho. Key grabbed some food from the fridge and sat beside opposite Suho who was almost done.

“Well, this is new. It’s been some time since you last ate with me.”

Key nodded. “Yeah. Well, I don’t feel hugging my bed this early so here.” He then started eating his food happily. Suho however stared at Key.

“You’re not telling me something.” Key looked back and asked what it was. Suho only brought an envelope. Upon realizing what it was, Key banged his head on the table.

“I told them to send it to the office..”

“It’s a marriage certificate from the City Hall right? Why do you have a marriage certificate when you didn’t have a ceremony? Amber.. I remember the girl’s name is Amber. Who is she? Don’t tell me you got her pregnant?!”

“No hyung! Of course not.. You do know how persistent my mother could be with the meet-ups right? Well, she said she’d only stop if I find a girl on my own and marry her. Then, there it is. I have some sort of contractual relationship with that girl.”

“I’ve never meddled with your affairs Key, but I don’t know about this. I feel uneasy about it.”

“It’s fine hyung, all under control. It’s not like I’ll fall in love with her. She’s the last girl in the list.”

“Then why ‘marry’ her if that’s the case?”

“’Cause I know I’ll never fall for her..”

They continued to eat until Suho told Key to clear his schedule the entire Sunday. Key asked why. Apparently, his mother called in that day and told she’ll be having a party and invite some friends over. She wanted to introduce Amber formally to those close to them.

“Drat, she knows something’s up..”

“Well, what do you plan to do?”

“I’ll just tell Amber to come early on Sunday.”

“I don’t think that’s possible.” Suho said. Key only gave him a puzzled look.

----------------

Amber didn’t go to work that day. She phoned in on Woori and said that she was suffering from a fever and needed her rest. Woori didn’t bug her with questions and said that she’ll file the report and everything was in control.

She spent almost the entire day either in her room painting something or drafting some random portrait. Another choice would be watching television but Jackie pretty much owned that space. She only got a chance to watch that evening. Amber was laughing her off while watching Gag Generation. Those guys never fail to make her laugh.  She was laughing hysterically until the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.” Amber then peeped through the eyehole only to find Key’s assistant by the door. She immediately opened it, closed their door, dragged the assistant at some alley and asked what she was doing there.

“What are you doing here? It’s late..”

“Mr. Kim told me to fetch you and tell you to bring with you a set of clothes good for several days..”

“What? No! It’s late. If he wants me to do something he should’ve told me. No..I’m not coming with you.” Amber then walked off only to be stopped by the assistant who held her arm.

“Please… He was not in a good mood when he sent me here. He’ll fire me if I don’t come back with you in the car. I’m begging you.”

Being soft-hearted she is, Amber finally agreed. She went back in her room and grabbed some clothes and put it in her bag.

“Woah, wait. Where are you going, Amber?” Jackie asked.

Amber looked at Jackie straight in the eyes.. “Take care of appa while I’m gone. I’m doing this for us Jackie. It’s part of the deal..”

“Deal? Wait, what deal?”

“Not now. But I’ll tell you when the time comes okay?” And Amber left.

--------------

Amber obliged and was pretty much quiet the entire trip. She felt mean for leaving Jackie without telling her what was going on but she had to leave. It’s part of the deal and no matter what, she has to keep it not until Key terminates it.

The assistant dropped her off at some mansion. It wasn’t that big but it’s not small either. Her family and some relatives could pretty much live there. A maid then opened the door and welcomed Amber in. A good-looking guy then welcomed her and got her bag.

“Hello. You must be Amber?”

“Uhmm. Yeah.. Where am I?”

“You’re at my house..” A voice said. Amber searched where it came from only to see Key come down the stairs with her eyes widening to see him in his PJs she wanted to laugh but it seemed a little rude.

“May I just ask, what am I doing here?”

Key breathed in real hard and stared at her. He looked at her with such sharp eyes straight into hers..

“From now on, you’re going to live here..”

Amber took some time to understand what Key meant.. “What?! Live here? With you? No! That’s not part of what we talked about.. No, no! Someone, get me out of here!” Amber shouted hysterically. She was about to walk through the front door not until Key gripped her arm.

“You’re not the only one who thinks this is a crazy idea but my mother is having her doubts. She’ll be holding a party here on Sunday with some friends over to introduce you to them. She wants to embarrass the hell out of you to prove you’re a phony. I need you to get used the house and I’ll let Suho hyung teach you to cook some dishes.”

“Can’t I just come here very early on Sunday morning? That could do right?”

“That’s the problem. My mother will be sleeping here at Saturday evening.. She’ll be practically staying with us for an entire evening so I know she’ll be looking for you. I don’t want this as much as you do but we have no choice. She’ll also be sending over a Korean tutor for you everyday starting next week on exactly 4pm to teach you. If you’re not around, that tutor can tell on my eomma and we’re done for.  Do you understand?”

Key then let go of Amber’s hand. The maids have brought her things upstairs. Suho then lead the way and asked Amber to follow..

“Key’s not as bad as you think he is. He has his difficulties but he’s a lot better beneath the tough exterior.. Please bear with it for now. I apologize if he’s done or said anything unpleasant towards you..” Suho said.

“It’s nothing.. But thanks. I’m trying my best not to crack when he’s with me.”

Suho then reached for his pocket and opened a door. He opened it and told Amber to go in. It was a bedroom.

“This is your bedroom. Sorry if the furnishings aren’t complete yet.. Key only planned everything this afternoon so we weren’t able to prepare everything in advanced. It’s not much but it can do for now. Perhaps tomorrow we’ll be bringing in more things like chairs and appliances. There’s already a bathroom and you’re closet is over there. The house helpers have already laid out your clothes. Call any of us if you need anything.. Also, don’t feel shy or what. Try to make yourself at home. You’re pretty much Key’s  ‘wife’, okay?”

“Yeah, thanks….?”

“Suho, just call me Suho.”

“Okay Suho. Thank you..”

---------------

Suho closed the door while Amber ran to her bed. She thought the guy was crazy.. Not much? Her bedroom is almost as big as their house. The closet is walk in and her clothes wouldn’t fill up even ¼ of the thing. The bathroom is gorgeous and huge. It has a shower and bathtub and her bed could fit three people.

She lay on her bed and breathed in, savouring the new air. Perhaps living under the same roof with Key isn’t so bad after all.

---------------------------------------------------

Chapter 7 ^^ Teehee. Sorry if I posted it kind of late.. The internet was slow as hell so I can't go online.. But, here you go. XD Amber going to live under the same roof as Key.. Hoho. The fun is about to begin.. Well, not really.. But, yeah. XD Stay tuned!