Chapter 39- Eunjeon&Eunyoung;

Superiority Complex

If there was a one way she could liberate herself from all the things that had been happening to them, it's one thing. Painting. It is starting to get overwhelming for her. She knows she has dealt with greater things before but now circumstances are a lot different. Someone is actually out there, willing to kill and have Key suffer. Let alone, she was also a target. It was all unclear to her. Why? Did Key do anything irrevocable? Did he do something unforgivable that killing a loved one of his is the only vengeance there is? It's all too confusing. 

"Seonsaengnim.. Seonsaengnim!"

"Eh?"

It was a student of Amber's that was tugging unto her pants. Most of her students had looked at her while a handful remains in doing their assigned artworks for that day's class.

"Amber-nim, your painting.."

"Eh?" Amber looked upon the painting she was supposedly working on while the kids were working away. It looked disoriented, disturbed and dirty. Amber took the canvas off the stand and placed it in a corner, to be disposed of later. "Sorry about that Hyunsin. Go on, back to your seat now."

The little kid did as he was told and the other kids went back to what they were doing. It was a fourth grade class. In her stay for almost a year, she has seen the kids grow. The boys that once were too naughty started to learn to behave themselves, while the girls started growing out their hair and have learned to tie their own ponytails. It's amusing to see. The classes of the younger students will not start, not until after lunch.

-------------------

Lunch came sooner and the students fled out of the art room to either head to the cafeteria or go back to their classroom to have a meal. Amber didn't have breakfast that day since she had to go straight from the hospital since Key was sedated last night. He had a panic attack because of Chunyi's abduction. The lad didn't take it lightly. 

"Amber-ssi.."

"Eunji?"

"Hey. Want to join us for lunch?" She asked. Amber only nodded in response. They headed to Eunji's faculty room to share the food. One of their teachers were celebrating his 29th birthday and he decided to bring some food for his colleagues.

"Thank you for all of your greetings! It is really heartwarming."

The teachers clapped their hands and shared the food.

"Hey.." The male teacher called on. "Hey.."

"Me?" Amber pointed to herself.

"Yeah.. Hi. It's the first time I saw you come in the faculty room. Lee Amber right?"

"My name? Yeah.. Just call me Amber."

"Nice to finally talk to you Amber. I'm Lee Gikwang.. Just call me Kikwang." For almost the hour Amber stayed around, Kikwang would either sit beside her or start some weird, awkward conversation between the two of them. Not that Amber mind the idea of having a new friend, but it was more than obvious he was hitting on her. He'd obviously try to flex his biceps right in front of Amber's face and would say how rich his parents are. It irked Amber. Besides, it's not like she'll even consider him. She was a "married" woman.

"Yoh, Amber. Did you see, what I just saw?" Eunji asked as they headed out the faculty.

"Tell me about it. I don't want to reject the idea of having him as a friend, but he could be more discreet on hitting on someone. It's pretty disgusting on how much he sells himself like that."

"Oh come on Amber.. Give him a break. Gikwang was quite a heavyweight during high school and college. He said to us, other teachers, that it took him years to obtain the body he has now."

"Yeah, whatever. Besides, you do know I'm in a relationship right?"

"Ohh, yeah. Right! What was his name again? Can you bring him around some time? We'd love to meet him. The guy that caught the artsy girl."

Amber laughed until she bid her goodbye since a  class of hers is about to start. These were the first graders and Amber wanted to take them to the rooftop to try and make them draw what they saw upstairs. Amber instructed the students. Their innocent faces, looking upon her, awaiting the things that she'll say. It was an adorable sight. If she could, she could've taken a photo right then and there.

"Okay class.."

She was interrupted when she saw Eunjeon came rushing in, with her sister, Eunyoung. They both bowed their heads before entering the classroom. Amber wondered why Eunyoung was with them. Didn't she have school or anything? They headed to the rooftop once the students gathered their coloring materials and paper. Amber instructed them to roam around the sky garden and after fifteen minutes. They will head back down to have them draw on what they felt as they were up the sky garden. The kids busied themselves. As expected, others had started playing while others stayed by the shade. Amber took notice of Eunyeong, as she sat on one of the benches.

"Eunyoung-ah.."

"Hi, Amber eomma."

"What brings you and your sister here? Don't you have school?"

Eunyoung didn't respond, but instead she want back to drawing. Her things look worn out. Her bag was old and had holes, crayons were used up and the notebook she's been using looked old as well. The sight reminded Amber of how she was when they moved to Korea. They had nothing. They started from scratch. 

"Eomma and appa aren't home that's why I had to go with eonni.."

"Huh?"

"I don't go to school. I had to stop months ago."

"Ehh? Why?"

"We have no money. They said eonni could finish first.."

Amber pitied Eunyeong. Ever so young, but she was completely aware of what was going on. She has laid victim to the woes of society in finances. She wishes to help her study but questions may be raised by some of the conservative parents the other students have. They'll be saying it exhibits favoritism. Fifteen minutes passed by so quickly that they had to go back to the classroom. The kids did what they were supposed to and Amber watched intently as they did so. Later on, halfway through the class, Amber's cellphone rang.

"Excuse me kids. Hello?"

"Noona.."

"Taemin? Hey.. "

"Are you busy right now?"

"Well, I do have a class but it's my last class for today.. Why?"

"Would it be a bother for you to head straight here to the hospital when that class of yours finishes. It's urgent."

"I'm not sure about that Taemin. I still have to talk to the head teacher, Mrs. Han. Why? What's this about? Is it about Key? Is he okay?"

"Key hyung is fine. It's.. It's about your daughter."

Amber's heart skipped a beat. Daughter? She shouted in her head. Did the police find her already? Do they have a lead? A lot of questions started running in her head that she was no longer able to focus for the rest of the class. The students left once the bell rang and Amber headed straight to Mrs. Han to ask permission to leave early. She was allowed for the last time and sped off to the hospital to meet with Taemin and Key.

"Taeminnie?!" She shouted as she entered the room. Key was busy eating on his hospital bed. Amber wasted no time and asked Taemin to go straight to the details.

"Well? What is Taemin?" Amber asked frantically. Key tried to calm her down by wrapping his arm around her.

"Jieun was able to talk to most of the nurses and possible eye witnesses around Seoul."

"Seoul? Why only in Seoul?! Our daughter could be anywhere.."

"She believes it is impractical for whoever is responsible to place your daughter somewhere far from Seoul. It would  be easier to track her down if he or she had to stay away and remain low profile. Putting your daughter somewhere far from here would be a waste of time and effort. Anyways, Jieun was able to take hold of the CCTV footage they had by the nursery and saw that a woman took your daughter straight our of the delivery room. Take note though that we don't know the woman. A vehicle was then seen to hitch her and drove off."

"And?"

"Well, she tracked possible locations the vehicle headed to on the day your daughter was taken from you, March 27, right? And it was found it didn't go out of Seoul. Through the national car registry chip implanted in the cars by that time, the path was traced. Jieun asked some eyewitnesses around the area, asked if the car was familiar or not. And, an eyewitness came forward. One eyewitness."

"Ohh my.."

"And that eyewitness is willing to come with us, one of these days to roam around the city and check the exact house your child was dropped off. She left the area almost four years ago and has grown unfamiliar with some of the places. But she assured us that she'll remember as long as we take her there. So far, that's what we have."

Amber had started crying. Key was on the verge. The news that Taemin spilled to them was more than elating. It felt ecstacy to know that finding their daughter was one step away. One single step, and they could be complete. 

"Can we schedule it this weekend?" Key asked.

"Well, I can't really assure that but I'll have them check. I'll inform you guys if it's settled. Also, they're doing their best in trying to locate the vehicle that took Aunt Chunyi yesterday. She said it may take some time since no other people were in the scene when it happened. I'll keep you guys posted."

"Thank you Taemin!" Amber said as she hugged the boy. "Thank you so much, for all of this.."

-----------------------------------

It was a little dark. She hasn't gone to work for several days, ashamed to face a dongsaeng of hers for an incident that has happened more than a week ago. She felt the need to be honest. She has kept and buried those emotions for so long and having that encounter just digged it up and exploded. She regrets it to be honest but in some way doesn't either. The truth is finally out.

"Hey miss.." A shady man, dressed in black with a mask on crept up behind him. He clasped the girl's arm with much force that though she tried, to no avail he was too strong for her.

"Who are you?"

"It doesn't matter who I am. Call for help and I'll stab you."

"What do you want?!"

"Do you want to finally have the love of your life? I can remove all hindrances if you help me.."

--------------------------------

Key had remained asleep for most days. In some instances he'll end up crying in the middle of night which bothered Amber deeply. It was the only thing that was running through her mind the entire day she was at work. The kids would take notice but she'll insist she's okay and just a little tired. 

"Amber-eomma.." It was Eunyeong. Amber didn't notice that the girl was there yet again. Expecting the same answer that their parents are not around. Amber decided to bring the girls home that day once class was over.

It was a rather old neighborhood if you are going to ask Amber. She didn't even know that a certain area in Seoul existed. Seoul looked so progressive and all things new but this place was an exception. It appeared to have remained in the 80s or something. The houses were quite small and cramped but it did have a homey aura to it. Amber walked with the girls hand in hand. Eunjeon rang the bell and was surprised to find a woman come out. 

"Aigoo, aigoo. You two, get in here.. Ohh my, miss. Thank you so much for bringing them home, please do enter."

The house was nothing grand. Living room, extended to the dining room that was completely adjacent to the kitchen. The bedrooms were upstairs; typical Korean home.

"Sorry for the trouble. Please, do sit down. Would you like some tea, miss?"

"Ohh, please. Just call me Amber. I'm their art class teacher."

"Ahh, yes. Okay, Amber? I'm Mrs. Kim. The mother of these kids. Aigoo,  you two, go head upstairs!"

"Ne!!"

Small series of footsteps were heard once Mrs. Kim told the girls to head upstairs. "You seem close to kids. Do you have kids of your own?"

"Ahh, well. Yeah. Supposed to, actually.."

"If you don't mind, what do you..."

"I lost my daughter. Well, she was taken from me. I didn't even have the chance to see her once I gave birth.."

"Ohh my, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to pry or anything. May I ask how long has it been?"

"No, it's okay.. 5-6 years? I lost my daughter exactly March 27." Amber said. Soon though, an ear-shattering sound of breaking glass was heard at the kitchen. Amber ran off to see what happened, only to find a plate broken on the floor. She helped Mrs. Kim pick up the pieces.

"I'm sorry. It's the plate.. It ugh.. Fell off the counter.." Amber smiled in response only to say it was okay. Afterwhich, she decided to leave since it was getting dark as well. She needed to head back to the hospital. 

"Again, thank you for bringing my girls home. We don't have much but we try our best to provide. It just touches me that people like you, let alone teachers of them take the time to care. Thank you Amber. Please, be safe."

Amber bid her farewell. Along the way, she received a text message from Key, informing her that the eyewitness agreed to meet with them that weekend. Amber was happy. The week is looking to turn out for the good.

------------------------------------

Saturday came. It annoyed her. Last minute, why did the school have to organize a conference out of town. She appealed to her very best and asked if she could not attend but it was mandatory order of the school administration. Amber had no choice but to oblige and had to leave Key to deal with the eyewitness for that day, wishing for updates through text.

-------

It annoyed him. With the looks, the so called eyewitness was starting to get on his nerves. They've been roaming around Seoul for almost the entire morning and they have made zero progress. Whenever they stop, she says this place is the one and when they move along, she'll take it back. It had been like that for the past four hours and Key was starting to get angry. He'll keep on tapping unto Taemin and say if she was really the real deal, the dongsaeng said to just deal with it.

Eventually, they got one of the streets and it's as if the gods of heaven has heard his plea. The woman confirmed this was the place. She remembers the street. They walked along and the woman said that the house where she saw the baby dropped off was not far from where they were. They walked on further and found the house.

"This! This is the house. I'm certain of it."

The woman knocked on the gate, shouted but to no avail, no one was opening the door. Not long, an old lady came out of the neigboring house.

"You'll just waste your breaths my dears. The family that once lived there transferred long ago. It has been three, four years since they lived there. But I heard they still lived around the area, just ask around.." the old lady said. Key thanked her.

"I'm so sorry. This is as far as I can help with this case. I truly am certain this was where they dropped the baby off. She was placed in a basket and, the lady that lived here took her. I just.."

"No, it's okay. We thank you, miss. We appreaciate all your help.." 

Disheartened, all of them made their way back to the vehicle. It was another dead end for the team. It was already hard enough to  locate the neighborhood. Pinpointing the house where the former owners transferred to may be done but it'll take some time. Key can only sigh on the circumstances.She was trying to call Amber, it was ringing but eventually it was busied. He tried calling again but it was already turned off. A little later, as they walked even further along, crying of a little girl was heard.

"Eunjeon?!"

"Key-appa!!.. They... It.." The little girl cried.

Moments later, he received a message, believing it was Amber, he hurriedly opened it. It appeared to what he had feared. But even before he was able to speak it out, his head started to ache and he out. Last thing he heard was Taemin calling him and running to head towards him. The police checked the message.

From: Unknown Number
To: Key

Having fun? Me? A little bit. Two down, one more to go. Ahhh. This is getting too boring. I can't wait  see that pathetic look on your face.
See you soon Kibum-ah. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another update for you guys! ^^ I don't really have much to elaborate in here. Perhaps most of you can get a clue or maybe analyze/ understand what happened. Sorry if it looks too long. I can't cut the events since, placing some of the events in later chapters just seem absurd for me. Pardon for any typos! ^^ Stay tuned.