Chapter 9-Stoned

Superiority Complex

Amber woke early that morning. Well fairly early considering the fact that she slept quite late the previous night. She helped in preparing breakfast since of her job was to learn how to cook some dishes Suho might be preparing. She took a bath as soon as she woke up and headed downstairs. 7:18am was the time when she checked the clock.

"You're up early?" Suho said.

"Yeah.. Kind of figured I could learn to cook somehow?"

"Why? You want to cook breakfast for Key?"

"What?! No. It's part of my 'job' so might as well right?"

"Okay, I'll be making crab and ham omelette. Cook with me.."

Amber was quite enthused with cooking. Never did she think she'll enjoy cooking. Jackie is the one who'd usually do all the cooking. Amber could fry an egg and that was the best of her skills. She walked to and fro the kitchen when she noticed a pile of dishes that were by the sink. It was a bowl and plates.. She smiled when she saw them.

In matter of minutes Amber finished cooking the omelette. It looked a little burnt at the sides but they were still edible and actually tasted pretty good. She brought it in the dining area where Key was already seated.

"Ohh, hey. Good morning!"

"Hey..You're up early?"

"Why do all of you ask that? Yes. I'm up.. Now shut up and eat."

Key had no idea that it was Amber that cooked the omelette. The girl only stood by to observe. Key took a slice, placed it on his plate and actually ate it without any complains. Amber smiled and felt as if she achieved something. He only took a few more slices and stood up to get dressed. He did have work that morning. It was a good thing he was able to finish reading the proposals last night after he ate his food.

He was bound to leave when Suho reminded Key of something. "You can't go home late today. She'll be coming around late afternoon so you should be here or else she'll be wondering why Amber is alone.." A nod was the only answer he provided as response.

---------------

Amber pretty much had the house to herself that morning. She had time to spare so she thought why not help in cleaning the house. She tucked in her sleeves and started scrubbing and sweeping. The house helpers insisted that they'll be doing it but Amber didn't budge and helped otherwise. 

"I know it's your job to do this.. But I don't have much to do so might as well let me help okay?"

They'd only smile with Amber's comments.

The house was squeaky clean by 10am and Amber was left with nothing to do once again. She missed going to work and talking with Woori and the other girls but she'd still have to come up with an excuse why she hasn't been to work the past few days. She can't blurt to them that she's "married" or else they'll be gushing and pester her who her husband is. 

"Suho, I'll be out for a little bit.I'll just buy something. I won't be talking long don't worry.."

"Wait! Key told me to always have someone accompany you at all times.."

"No need! I won't be long so that's no longer necessary.." And Amber headed out.

Key's house is a little secluded and a little far from the road. Amber had to walk to reach the gate and rode a bus to go to town. She wasn't running away or what. She barely had her clothes with her. She was just going to an art shop to buy some art materials. She wasn't able to bring her art materials with her. Since there's nothing left to do, she thought why not paint while she's not busy.

--------------

"I'm back." Amber walked in with a canvas and some art materials with her.
"You have a backyard right?" She asked. Suho nodded and pointed her to the backyard's direction.

Amber brought out the canvas, the stand and her paint. She was in the mood to paint and since Autumn was about to come, the leaves are starting to orange up. She'll take the opportunity while the leaves haven't fallen yet.  She has sketched pretty much the trees and the landscape when Key arrived. He was in a rush.

"Where is she?!"

"She's at the backyard. Why are you??"

Key didn't let Suho finish since he already sped to the backyard..

"What are you doing?!"

"I'm painting, what does it look like I'm doing?"

"Go get changed! My mother's coming in an hour.."

"What?! Wait, what about my things?"

"The maids have already brought them in my room.."

"Okay.. Wait, your room?!"

"Ah, yeah? We can't sleep in separate rooms while she's here.."

Amber dropped the canvas she was holding.. "Same room?" Amber was astounded. She was going to stay in one room with Key? No.. That is not possible.

"Look, get over it! It's not like we'll be sleeping in one bed.. Hurry up and get changed."

Amber obliged with her head aching over the fact she'll be in one room with Key that night. She went to her room but found the maids cleaning it up. She forgot that her things were already brought in Key's room. The lad was downstairs busy talking to Suho. Amber changed in the bathroom and was feeling quite flustered since she's in a "man's" bathroom. It felt so different. The aura is different. She can't explain it clearly but she felt like she was trespassing on some private property.

--------------------

She headed downstairs as well in a dress and her two-inch heels. It still feels a little awkward but they felt a lot more comfortable than the four-inch ones she had to practice in. "Is she in yet? Your mother?"

"No. Not yet. She'll be here in about ten minutes so just wait."

Amber felt a little impatient. It was as if she was waiting for a loved one give birth or something. She walked back and forth the living room which kind of annoyed Key who was patiently waiting, seated at the couch.

"Can you stop walking back and forth? It's giving me a headache..Relax. It's not like you haven't met her.."

"Relax?! You're telling me to relax? I barely know a thing about you and here I am going to eat, sleep and dine with you're mother like I've known you forever.. Now, tell me.. How can I relax?!"

Amber's rants were cut short when Suho said that a car has arrived. Amber was mentally fainting while Key made his way to the door to greet his mother. Amber followed and came in the woman. She looked a lot more casual when they met at the restaurant but her clothing still seemed grandeur. She wore slacks, black pumps and a pink blouse. Her Louis Vuitton bag which contained pretty much of her clothing was brought upstairs to the guest room.

"Well, the house is really clean. Hello my son.." Key didn't answer and only gave his mother a hug. Amber bowed and welcomed her in. 

"I hope you're ready for the party tomorrow? I'll be inviting a lot of guests so you two better be ready."

-----------

Dinner time came and Amber was a little quiet. She observed Key and her mother. She still can't figure why Key doesn't agree with his mother's choices. If he did, she wouldn't be stuck in that position. They seemed to get along really well so it kind of confused her..

"Amber. Amber?" Key's mother called out.

"Oh. Sorry, yes?"

"I was wondering if you already have a dress to wear? We can order in one tonight.."

"Ohh. I already have one.. Key bought one for me yesterday."

"I see.. Then we have no problem then."

They finished up and Amber was about to head upstairs when Key's mother invited her to the living room to talk. Tea was already provided.

"Come dear, join me.."

Amber sat beside her and they talked. Key's mother seemed really sweet and nice but her smiles still gave Amber the creeps. She can't read the woman's mind. She can't gauge what she's thinking which kind of freaks Amber out. 

"You and my son haven't met for long, why get married so soon?" But right before Amber could even answer she said something which gave Amber chills throughout her body.. 

"I don't know your intentions..But I don't believe all of this. I'm not buying it. My son would never neglect to introduce a girl to me so I don't know what makes you special. But I'm watching you!" After saying such a statement, she left with a smile on her face leaving Amber stunned at the living room.

-----------------

Amber felt like she's been shot even right before she could defend herself. She was now scared of what could happen to her, or worse to her family if Key's mother finds out the truth. She wanted to get the hell out of there but that will just make the situation a lot worse. 

"You look stoned.." 

It was Key. Amber went to "their" room to finally get some sleep. Amber didn't respond to the question and just went to the bathroom to get changed. In a matter of time she finished and hugged the couch that across Key's bed. She grunted annoyance.

"You look stoned.." Key said once again.

"I know." Amber said while her head is buried at the couch..

"You do realize that I have no plans of sharing my bed with you, right?"

"Don't worry, I have no plans either. I can sleep at the sofa.. It's not a problem. As long as you don't do anything funny to me!"

"In your dreams!"

"I'm just kidding.. I'll be sleeping. Tomorrow would be much worse.."

Key was already sleeping soundly but Amber has no luck. It's already 2:00am and not a wince of sleep has visited her..She sat and tried leaning her head hoping she could fall asleep while being seated but to no avail.. It felt a lot more uncomfortable. 

"Hey..you awake?"

Key didn't budge so Amber expected he was asleep. "It's nerve wrecking you know. Meeting all those people tomorrow? Truth be told I don't belong or fit in this world of yours so it's kind of overwhelming to be dragged into this. I don't know what lies tomorrow but yeah.. I have to live up to it right? I do owe you, so might as well do my part in this contract. This is rare for me to say this to you but thank you for everything so far.. I feel at ease knowing my dad would be alright.. I just wish you could be a little nicer. You don't seem too bad at all.."

And she dozed off. 

----------------

Her heart was beating like crazy. She can already hear voices at the tea room where the guests were. She looked the part. All that was left is for her to play it again. She did it last week when she ate lunch with Key. All she had to do was do it too today, the only difference is it is in front of other people.. Plenty of them. The only proof she had with her was a ring that Key handed that morning. He said to wear it at the party so that they would look believable.

They walked in together and everyone had their eyes on the couple. They cheered and said their hellos. Amber politely bowed. It was a gathering for the rich and famous. She was introduced to people she'd only imagined meeting. There was Im Yoona and her mother. Yoona is a famous model and has appeared in many ads. There was Kim Hyoyeon, apparently she's a close relative of Key. Amber has been a big fan of her dance videos.. Amber could've shrieked a fangirl's cry if she met her in another occasion. Suzy is a child prodigy in acting, her parents are with her.

"I didn't know you knew so many famous people.." Amber whispered to Key while smiling to the guests in between.

"I don't.. My mother does." Key responded.

--------------

"Congratulations on your son's marriage, Chunyi.." Suzy's mother remarked. "This is a wonderful lunch party.. Thank you for inviting us."
These elite women shared their kisses and fake laughs. "Oh don't congratulate me yet.. I don't like her."

"Who? Your son's wife?" Chunyi only nodded.

"Watch me.." Key's mother then started clanking her glass with a spoon and spoke. "I propose a toast to my son and her wife, Amber..Perhaps we can hear a few words from your wife, my son? I bet almost all of the guests have spoken to her so why not?"

Key saw what his mother was doing. She was trying to embarass Amber in front of everyone. He may not like Amber but that doesn't give his mother the right to humiliate the both of them, Amber on the other hand gripped Key's arm as if she was saying it's okay. Key looked at her and she only nodded.

Amber took a glass. She was shaking. She was nervous..

She cleared . "First of all, I would like to thank everybody who came over today. It's been a pleasure meeting all of you. Uhmm.. To be honest I'm not really good with speeches or talks like this. I mean, I'm not a party type of girl. I know some of you might be surprised why there is a party in the first place or it's a shock knowing that Key is married. True, we've only met for a few weeks before it all happened.. But, that happens right? You just click? You just know? I can't really explain it but I don't think the length of us knowing each other defines our relationship.. We've got years to do that. So, I just wish everyone to clear their doubts. Thank you and good day."

The people were stoned once Amber finished her speech. It was like the girl read their minds. They did have their doubts. They did question the marriage. But despite the fact it is a "fake" marriage, Amber had to show it was real otherwise. Key's mom gasped at what she said while the two started walking.

"Well?" Amber asked.

"You're not so bad yourself.." Key replied.

And they left everyone at the tea room pretty much dumbfounded.

------------------------------------------------

I started working on this at the afternoon then had to pause. I got caught in a moment and was a little blank. XD I finished this chappie while I was about to nap earlier. ^^ Thanks for reading.. I'll be posting the next one maybe tomorrow or the next day. XD Depends on my schedule on working on this. Goodnight!