Chapter 23- Why?

Superiority Complex

If she remembers correctly, she loves those little burgers her sister would bring home everytime she'd go back home from school. They had the right amount of patty. The bread was cut evenly at the center and there was this coleslaw that complemented the salty taste of the patty. She can finish up to two of those since the burgers weren't really that big. Her sister would always say that whenever given the chance she'll bring home the different type of burgers the store has to offer if she can afford for them. 

"Eonni, where do you buy those burgers? Why are they so good?"

"That's a secret Amber. If I tell you then it would no longer be a thrill since you know where they come from.."

"Fine. Appa was looking for you earlier.. He's."

"I know. He's in pain.. Things became like that ever since mom died. He overstressed and he turned out like that. All of us didn't want it to happen but it just that we have to look after him like this. How's school?"

"It was okay.. As usual, art class was a breeze.. Though I'm not sure if I can still attend the graduation. Well, you know.."

"Don't worry Amber.. We'll find a way. You'll attend your graduation no matter what.."

---------------------

Bloodshot eyes for the next two days.. It wasn't a sight anyone would love to see. She looked scary let alone sleep deprived. She was thankful that Key was there to somehow support her. The situation wasn't helping with her endeavor with her friends. Woori was talking to her again, even in front of Jia and the others. They'd give their stares at times but it has decreased, well more or less stopped since they started ignoring the stares they'd throw out.

"You sure you're okay? You've been like that for three days.. I mean, the mural is more or less finished, why don't you take a break?"

"Nah, I'm good.. My sister will nag at me if I don't go to work.. She'll push me over the bed if ever I don't go to work because of what happened right?"

"Well, you do have a point.. Hmm, have you come up with a plan to tell Jia and the others? I feel they're dying to talk to you after all this time."

"Not really. I haven't come up with a plan.. I don't know how to approach them or even say a word. It's complicated Woori.."

"I see. Well, just tell me if you have anything to say them okay? I'd be more than willing to help.."

Woori left and Amber headed to the scaffolding to go back on working at the mural. She has about two to three days left and the mural would be done. It was a masterpiece, let alone it has been the biggest and most expensive project she has worked on. Jackie would be proud to see her accomplish such a feat. Afterall, it was Jackie who pushed her to pursue the job offer and just tolerate Key's behavior at that time. 

She decided to go home early that day. Woori is right. Maybe she needs to take a break and rest.. Her thoughts of going home were cut short when someone tapped on the metals of the scaffolding. To her suprise, when she peeked to see who it was, it was Minho. To her relief, he looked less angry and less frustrated. Amber carefully went off the scaffolding to accomodate him.

"Amber, I'd like to apologize on how I acted three days ago.."

"It's nothing. I think it's just a natural reaction.. You were practically clueless on what was going on.. So I couldn't blame you. How can I help you?"

"Can we talk? Privately?"

"Hmm, right now?"

"Well, if you aren't busy."

"Sure..I'll just fix some of my things.."

Minho headed to his office while Amber fixed her bag before she headed to Minho's office as well. It was her first time to enter Minho's office. It was a lot less spacious compared to Key's but it retained the boss type of feel. He was seated at his chair and Amber seated at the sofa.

"Please, take a seat.."

"You have a lot of artworks around here.. Never expected you bought some of the pieces of Jongsun."

"Well, yeah.."

"What is that you wanted to talk to me about?"

"It's about your relationship with Key.. So, it turns out you're the mystery wife I haven't met?"

"Guilty as charged.."

"To be honest, I don't know your reasons why you married my cousin.. And I was surprised he released a check under his name that was worth 14 million won. He doesn't release something that big unless it is related to shopping or something else.. I mean, just what is going on?"

"I'll stick with Key's answer to you.. I mean no disrespect and I admire you as a person but I don't have to answer to you nor to anybody.. I care for Key more than you imagine. Call me foolish but I love him. He loves me and that's all that really matters to me now. Circumstances brought us together.. To be honest, I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I'll be able to tolerate his superiority issues but I did. Don't judge me for what I did, for what he did.. But it was never in my intention to feed off of Key's wealth nor hurt him. I"m not like that.."

"You're aware about Gayoon then?"

"Very much.."

"Amber, she's sick.."

"I know. I was with Key when we visited the hospital.. You were also there right? You barely noticed I was there.."

"She has dealt with much pain in her life Amber.. Give her a pass on..."

"Again, I mean no disrespect but I don't know Gayoon personally nor does she to me as well... You guys don't know the life I'd been through. She was priviliged enough to live a well-off life with her parents supporting her.. All I had was my sister. I beg your pardon, but please excuse me.."

Amber stood up to leave. Minho somewhat ran after her..

"Please Minho.. I respect you. Let me go.. I've still got work to do. Key and I are legally married so I'm not in an affair with him nor am I doing anything illegal, so please.. stop bothering us. I would love to be your friend but not such circumstances.."

Amber walked out the room with a sense of pride. She felt a little insulted that as if Minho was trying to say that Gayoon was a victim with all the things that have happened. Amber never wanted Gayoon to get sick nor does she have the right to complain. She left Key, broken, alone and angry.. She just arrived in the right time in his life. It irritated her.

Along the hallway she met Key, she ran faster to avoid any conversation with him. He called out her name but she ignored it and ran on. Key realized she must've come from Minho's office that Key checked to see what happened.

"Minho? Was Amber here?"

"Yeah.."

"What the hell did you tell her?!"

"I didn't say anything Key.. She ran off before we even had a proper conversation.."

"Aish.. You just don't stop do you?"

Key left and chased after Amber. However, when he reached the first floor, her things were no longer at the scaffolding. It was like she disappeared like a bubble. Key was worried. Amber was troubled and it's not good for her at any cost.

-------------------------

She wanted to escape the chaos that was going on in the workplace. She expected that doing the mural would distract her but it would lead her to Minho whenever given the chance. She admires the guy. She respects him. He's one guy she knows she can talk her passion for art with but what he did back in the office was downright annoying, irritating, frustrating. Gosh, name it. It was insulting on her part that as if she wanted misfortune to fall on Gayoon.

"Amber. AMBER?!" Woori shouted. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine.."

"You don't look so fine to me.. You look out of it."

"No, really.. I'm fine.. Please, I insist.. I want to go somewhere and enjoy.."

"I just know where to go.. Come with me."

Woori dragged Amber to the nearest train station. She doesn't know where they are going but who really cares. She wanted to get out of the office and Woori just might be able to help. Almost after an hour of bumming in their seats, Woori stood up when the name of the next station was called. Amber followed right after they went off.

"Where are we going?"

"You said you wanted to relax right? I'm going to let you meet my parents.. I haven't seen them in a while either so might as well tag a friend along.."

"Wow.. That's surprising.. Never thought you live an hour or so from Seoul. Is that why  you stay alone in an apartment??"

"Well, pretty much. I am really sluggish when I wake up so I might time in late everytime if I don't rent a place nearer to the office.."

It was about a ten minute walk from the station where they went off that they arrived in front of a rather dainty house. It was two stories and a light illuminated the first floor. Woori opened the gate and Amber followed. Someone opened the front door. She was a woman of age, around late 40s to mid 50s.. A smile crept unto Amber's face. If ever her mom was still alive, they'll be of almost the same age.

"Eomma..."

"Woori, my dear.. You visited? Eomona, and a friend? Please, please come in and make yourself feel home."

Amber bowed politely as she entered. A smell of hotpot roast filled her nose as soon as she came in. It was obvious that something was cooking. Amber bowed a hello to Woori's father as well. Woori once told Amber that she has brother but moved out since he's studying agriculture in another province. They headed to Woori's supposed room while they waited for dinner.

(Coughing)

"Woah, Amber.. You've been coughing ever since we rode the train.. Are you really sure you're fine?"

"Yeah.. I'm more that okay.. Maybe it's just because of the unpredictability of the weather.."

They sat on the floor beside Woori's bed. The girl's room was simple. It didn't have a lot of things but there was entire shelf filled with books. It came no surprise to Amber since Woori is a very intellectual girl. As her eyes traversed the room, Amber noticed a picture frame, there was a littke girl and an oppa. 

"Woori? Is this you? Who is this guy with you?"

"Ohh, that.. Well, he's my cousin. Minjong oppa.. He ughh.. He died six years ago."

"I'm sorry.. I didn't know.." Amber replied. "It's okay. I mean, you didn't know.. But don't feel sorry. We were really close when I was young. He loved reading books.. He'd always read to me different stories. I got the habit of reading from him.. So, he'll always remain with me. That's why I'm happy."

Amber admired Woori's optimism. It reminded her of Luna. Minutes later, Woori's mom was heard downstairs as she invited that dinner was ready. It was a tad early for Amber but who was she to refuse? It's free food and if it's food, it's always a go. They stepped outside. However, as they made their way downstairs, a loud thump was heard.

"No! Help! Somebody, please help....."

------------------------------------

Someone was walking back and forth a hallway. It was obvious since it was the only thing heard. The footsteps resonated the floor since no one was practically there. A couple of sighs were also heard. They've been waiting for more than an hour. The waiting was painful. It was a matter of time that a doctor stepped out of the room, asked for an immediate family member to talk to. The rest of the crowd sped into the room.

"Amber!!" they shouted in unison.

Amber was awake. She felt a little weak but seeing the girls once again near her, in front of her made her smile. They were crying and uttered sorrys in between. It was more than enough for her to welcome them with open arms and hug them tightly. 

"Amber, we're so sorry! We didn't know.. It was immature for us to treat you like that. We're really sorry. Woori told us everything about you and well.." Jia uttered.

"It's okay. Just stop talking and hug me, will you?"

They all laughed and giggled. It seemed a mini-reunion. It's been a month since they last talked and Amber wants to share her story to them as much as she can. Their little gathering however was cut short when Key entered the room. The girls grew silent and paved way for him. They bowed and left the room without waiting for any orders.

"Hey.."

Key sat beside Amber. "I talked to the doctor just now.."

"I'm fine Key. It's nothing.. I was just tired and all."

"You've been overworking yourself.."

"I'm certain I'm okay..Jackie would be worried but please tell her I'm okay. Ohh, by the way? Has she called? Jackie hasn't called in a while, can you tell her to.."

"Amber...Amber please."

"Or maybe you shouldn't tell her.. You couldn't.." Key now hugged Amber as he kept shouting her name. The girl has started crying.

"Amber.. Let it go."

"Let go?" Amber kept on playing dumb as she cried.

"AMBER! Please let it go. Your guilt is not going to help you.. Jackie is gone. She's gone." Key had to say it. He had to or else Amber wouldn't stop. She was coping Jackie's death by pretending she was still alive. The doctor told Key it was a natural way  of coping, especially since her father died within the same year. Nobody knew except for the two of them..

It was exactly three days ago. The night Key dropped Amber home, they entered the house anticipating Jackie's welcome. It was dark. But the moment they the lights, a horrific sight appeared before them. Jackie was lying on the floor with a pack of medicine adjacent to her. Amber didn't know but Jackie had been battling depression even when their father was still alive. She was on a prescription. She overdosed that night. They sped to the hospital hoping there was still a chance to save her. It was however too late, since she was pronounced dead on arrival. Amber didn't talk about it. But after the incident, she started talking about Jackie and kept on pretending as if her sister was still alive.

It was non-stop crying for two hours. It is the first cry Amber made since she had to deal with Jackie's death. Key hugged her the entire time. When she has calmed down, the girls knocked to bid their goodbye. Key thanked them before they went off.

"It's just hard to accept that she's gone. We agreed that we'll stand by each other. I was never aware that she was battling depression and was on a prescription. It's painful Key."

Once again, Key hugged his wife. "Nobody knew. That's why you shouldn't fill yourself with guilt or resentment. You didn't want those things to happen right? We both wanted to save her but it was too late. She's with your parents now."

"I don't know. You're the only one I've got left Key.. What's left for me now?"

Key smiled gently towards Amber. "Don't overstress too much will you? It's bad for the both of you. And what do you mean I'm the only one left? There's still someone Amber. That's why you need to fight. You need to fight for the both of you."

"Who? Who are you talking about? What do you mean I have to fight for the both of us?"

Key kissed Amber. "You just don't get it do you? We're going to be parents Amber.. We're going to have a baby.."

"Are you serious??"

"I too was surprised okay? The doctor told me. You were under a lot of stress. He said that shouldn't happen anymore or else it can affect your pregnancy."

The tears of sorrow that flowed out of Amber's eyes were replaced by tears of joy. It was the most wonderful news she has heard over so long. She hugged Key. 

"That is why you should fight, okay? Do you think Jackie would like to see you like this? Bound in a hospital bed?" Key asked. Amber shook her head. 

It's a blessing for them.. It's just what Amber needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Another update! ^^ I got in the mood to write.. So tadaa! 23rd chapter. Anyway.. It's a loss and gain for this chapter.. It's always painful to lose a loved one. This chapter was a little crazy, please bear with me. >_< Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please stay tuned for the next one!