Chapter 2- Bucket

Superiority Complex

It was yet another day. Waking up has been an everyday struggle for the past two years. Ever since she had to face responsibility of taking care of the family she had no choice to wake up early to either look for a client or work on a project that was asked from her. She's not the type that complains but she's thankful to her family despite the posing problems. She'd always dreamed of living in a lavish home, her father isn't sick and Jackie is finally able to fulfill her dreams as geographer. But no, reality was really from far her fantasy. She had to work and that's that.

"Jackie? Where are you?" Amber shouted as she came out of her room all dressed up.

"I'm here." Jackie shouted from the living room. She was feeding their father porridge. Their father's diet has been restricted to soft food since his last since he has a hard time chewing. There's a tendency he might choke if he isn't fed properly.

"I'm off."

"Really? Isn't it a bit early?"

"Well, I need to get there. The business district is quite far so I opt to leave early. "

"Okay.. Be careful."

------------

Amber heaved in a deep sigh. She has yet to leave again to face another day. Though she doesn't know what's waiting for her in the company she keeps a positive outlook hoping that the company will really hire her. Jackie was right it was still early. It was a few minutes past 7:00am. The company doesn't need her around 9:00am but she's decided to walk. Instead of wasting money on transportation with no certainty she'll arrive at the right place, she opted to walk.  Also, the business district is a little far so getting there may take some time.

A map to the company has already been provided with the letter but Amber can't seem to figure it out. She was good with art and drawing but not with maps. It isn't just her thing. Jackie would be the only one that could perhaps understand what was going on with the map. She had to turn it left, right over and under. It was definitely a struggle.

It was a few minutes before 9:00am when Amber arrived at the company. Yes, it took her almost two hours to get there. She felt pathetic but hey, at least she got where she needed to. The building was really high. She felt so minute among the buildings that surrounded her. She can't tell it accurately but she estimates that the building has about 60-80 floors in it. Wow is the word that kept running in her head.

She entered only to be stopped by the guard for inspection. She didn't mind to hand over her bag. The guard opened her really torn bag and checked its contents. He found art materials but paused as he was going through Amber's things.

"Can I go now?" Amber asked.

"I'm afraid I can't let you through. You have a knife with you.."

"What? What knife are you talking about?"

The guard then brought out which does seem a knife but its only purpose is to mix paint.

"Are you kidding me?! That's not a knife."

Amber and the security guard had started an argument which caused a commotion at the entrance. People started looking. Right before he could kick Amber out, a woman stopped them.

"Let her through. We need her asap."

"But ma'am.."

"I'm liable if anything happens okay? Just let her through."

The guard had no other choice but to grant the lady's orders. Amber just meronged the guard as she followed the woman feeling like she won the battle between them. She laughed it off and ran to catch up with the lady.

Amber was like a little kid as she looked around. Never has she been inside such a lavish place. The ceilings were clad with chandeliers and the floors were tiled and looked really shiny. Even the employees looked clean. Yes, clean. It was the first adjective that came to her mind when she saw the employees. She felt a little out of place since she was in her work clothes. They were stained with paint. Amber just had gaping open as she walked. The last time she remembered to be in a lavish place was when they went to her aunt's house in California when she was young. It was a two storey home and it seemed extravagant to her.

"Sorry about that." The woman spoke which seemed to break Amber off of her trance.

"Ohh. No.. I should be sorry. If you hadn't come I could've punched him in the face.."

"Ohh, really? It's good that I came then. Oh, I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Woori."

"Hi Woori, I'm Amber.. Nice to meet you."

"You must be the artist we sent the letter to?"

"Yeah.. I actually received it yesterday. Though may I ask why am I here? As far as I see it, this isn't really a museum or what.."

"Ahh, well. The building is currently undergoing the renovation. We were given a list of artists and their artworks and your body of work was chosen.. So we want to ask if you could work on a wall we have near the lobby. Our design team finds it a little blank so we thought of making it a mural."

"You want me to paint on a wall? At the lobby? Isn't it like a large wall?"

"Ohh, not the entire wall of the lobby.. It's just a certain portion. It's already been marked so you wouldn't have a problem figuring out where to paint.. Our boss is willing to pay you any amount.."

Amber's eyes widened with Woori's statement. If she knew she heard it right, she can ask for a sum which could equate with her efforts not just on the materials she used. She has no plans to rip them off but it's a good chance to earn a big payday..

"Sure.. I'll accept. When do I start?"

"Well, of you start today I think it would be great.."

"Okay.. No problem!"

-------------

Amber was given assistance in preparing the scaffolding on where she'll be standing while painting the top portion of the mural. To be honest, she doesn't have an idea  yet on what to paint. She hasn't gauged what the company really is all about. Though they did ask for an abstract piece of work, she doesn't have an idea on what to work with. She deemed it appropriate to paint the abstract on an idea what the employees were like and what the boss is like. But instead of accomplishing nothing she tried to make an impression of the security guard and the front desk lady, Woori.

She'd been working on the mural for some time now when she noticed that the people downstairs stopped making a fuss and started fixing themselves up as if they were busying themselves with work. She laughed at the view because it's comparable to a class of naughty students who start to behave when the teacher arrives. 

Not long a man in a white long-sleeved polo came in. Amber couldn't see him clearly from where she was seated so she moved a little bit to her right causing the scaffolding to shake. Barely did she notice that the bucket which held the water she used to wash her brushes tipped over and the water started to pour. She closed her eyes and saying to herself it was such a stupid move. She slowly opened her eyes hoping the water didn't pour on anyone. 

Her worst fear came true.. The wash water poured unto the man that she saw earlier that was walking in.  Everyone by the lobby that saw the incident started to gasp on what had happened. To try and apologize, Amber hurriedly went off the scaffolding and went near the man.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't purposedly pour the water on you. It was accident. If you want I can.....Woooaaaahh!!"

Right before Amber could finish her sentence the man took out his soaked handkerchief and squeezed all of the water on Amber, up to the last drop. Amber was left dumbstruck as the man took off to the elevator. That was the only moment then that the staff started cleaning up the mess. Amber was left standing still, with gaping open. She can't seem to get over the fact that she tried to help someone who in turn rejected it and embarassed her in front of everyone. Woori soon approached.

"I'm so.. Are you alright?"

Amber only nodded in response.

-----------

Woori brought Amber to the employees lounge where they had a small shower room. She cleaned herself up. It was a good thing she brought an extra set of clothes with her or else she'll be dirty mess the entire day. Woori was kind enough to lend her toiletries since she didn't expect she'll get wet like that.

"I'm so sorry with what happened at the lobby.." Woori said.

"Why do seem to always apologize for something that isn't your fault? It's okay. I should be the one apologizing. Though it was accident, it was quite stupid of me to let it happen in the first place. I should've been careful."

"You should fix yourself soon. You should get back to work."

-----------

In no time, Amber went back to the scaffolding to continue where she left off. She was a tad frustrated with what the guy did to her but she has to get over it or else she wouldn't accomplish anything. Then again, she hasn't been back on working her mural for ten minutes, Woori called on her again and asked her to proceed to the 56th floor. Amber was completely clueless on why she had to but she just did as she was told.

----------

She watched the numbers on the elevator carefully. A little anxious on what was waiting for her on the 56th floor. she did this mannerism of her of jumping and shaking her hands to try and ease the tension in her nerves. "Ding!" She arrived. She didn't walk out of the elevator just yet and peeked from side to side on what was there. It was a regular office floor. Though it seemed to have only one room. She proceeded to the door and knocked.

"Come in." a voice spoke.

She once again, peeked to see what was awaiting inside. She saw the man that she accidentally poured water on. She hurriedly went in and bowed. 

"I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean it to happen. I was just trying to see what the people were doing beneath me so I didn't notice that the scaffolding shook and tipped over the bucket. I'm really sorry. Please don't tell the owner of the company. I'm begging you."

The man was a little taken aback with her sudden apology. But right before he could utter a word, Amber sprang up from her bow and went to the corner of the office which had the coffee maker and teabags.

"I could make you coffee if you want.. Please, I'll do anything just don't tell on me. It was really an accident.."

The man just ticked off. He stood up from his chair and went to Amber and banged the counter near her. The girl was surprised and flinched with his actions. She felt his breath on her neck given the fact that she had short hair. It was warm. He also was tall which she didn't expect. She turned around only to find him near her.

"Tell on who?"

"The boss.. Please don't tell on the boss, the owner?"

"Really? Shouldn't I?" he asked right before he started moving away from Amber.

Amber fell on her feet and just nodded. "Yes, please don't."

"I don't think that's possible.." He shook his head.

"Ww-why?" Amber stuttered.

The man paused which killed the heck out of Amber. Her heart was beating like crazy anticipating what the man would say. She just had the words "Say it. What is it?" In her mind playing over and over awaiting what he'll say.

He then turned around looked Amber straight in the eye..

"Because I am the owner.."

The world just fell on Amber when she heard those words. Indeed it was impossible not to let the boss know.. It was over. Her vision of finally earning something worth her job was over.

-----------------------------

Then again, that's what she thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two updates in a day. Yey! Thank you to those who have already subscribed. A little treat since I've already got 11 subscribers though it's just the first two.  So yeah.. Chapter 2. Enjoy! Stay tuned for chapter three!