Chapter 43- Pieces to the Puzzle

Superiority Complex

They always say the the road going to always takes the longest and the ride back is faster. He had never given it much thought before but considering the situation they were in and considering that the place they were going to was still within the city, it felt like forever. What made matters worse was a thunderstorm started to wreak havoc hours before. It was a downpour. He'd been staring out the car window and looked at the people, running for their lives trying to escape the rain. Alas! There he was, running to fight for the life of his family. He lost track and never understood as to how and why things turned out for him like that. He can't exactly tell on what point his family started to be in danger. Was it before he came back? Was it when he came back? Was it when he got into that accident? He doesn't know. All he knows is that he just wants to get this over with and finally live peacefully with his family. 

"Hyung.."

It was Taemin. Taemin sat beside him, while Jjong sat beside the police in front of the sedan they rode in towards the location. Minho and Onew stayed behind. Key preffered it that way. He doesn't want to risk his cousins' lives. It was just that Taemin and Jonghyun insisted. Truth be told, they were ready for war. Gun protection vest, guns, ammo.. They were armed and ready to conquer. As much as he can't pinpoint when his life turned angsty, Key lost track as to when his cousins turned into the way they are. He was oblivious to the world before he left six years ago. It was as if he was stuck at a certain phase and remained there. If it wasn't for Amber who tore down the walls he built, he wouldn't see the world. He realized Taemin was not the little dongsaeng he'll accompany to school. Jonghyun who used to be so angry at everyone learned to warm up and fall in love yet again. The Onew hyung he knew, who he never realized got lost after Luna's accident, came back. Minho, well. He's Minho.

"We'll be alright hyung. They'll be alright."

"I know Taemin. It's just, I'm feeling a little sleepy and dizzy. Perhaps, it's because of the lack of sleep.."

"Keygoonie, Taeminnie, the police said we are nearing the location. Get your things together and prepare." Jonghyun shouted from the front seat. He then turned and faced Key. "Stop thinking about Taemin's and my safety. We went you because we wanted to. We'll be alright. Just find Aunt Chunyi, Amber and your daughter. We'll take care of ourselves, okay?"

"Hmm. Thanks hyung."

They laid out a plan. Well, the police did. They looked at the location and the adjacent roads that were near the place. They decided to surround the place to avoid any escapes or what. Also, despite the caller's claim he won't leave, they won't take any chances. The sirens were also turned off to remain low profile. Not long, the vehicles stopped. The radios started buzzing. They've arrived. There were a total of 10 policemen, 26 SWAT members and the three cousins. The police that was with the three of them lead the way. It was a house, no, more of a compound. It looked old, walls were high and the boundaries were wide apart. It was a big property. Whether a house or building was inside, they can't tell. Carefully, one of the SWAT members broke the lock on the gate. This is it, the final battle.

--------------------------

After she heard the "Uncle" sentiments, it was much unfortunate that Amber was drugged to sleep. She failed to notice that the men of the mastermind placed a coil in the room they were in that, if lit, produced smoke that would make you fall asleep on purpose like some drug. It would make you dizzy, a little nauseous and full on asleep moments later. When she woke up, she was in an entirely different room. It was not as dark but she heard some talking as she was trying to get her senses back. But it was more than frustrating that she was tied up.

"Jah, you two come over here.." A familiar voice called on. Amber heard the call not so far from where she was. She appeared to be locked up in a closet or some sort. With the little remaining strength she had, she sat herself up and using her face, tried to nudge on the door. It opened up a little bit, leaving an opening for her to view what and who was outside.

"The girls?" She whispered. It was Eunjeon and Eunyoung. The two were playing ball. It eased her to see that the two were free of scratches or any hint of physical abuse. In fact, the two were smiling, completely oblivious to what was happening. As she was about to race out of the door, a woman came near the two and handed the girls glasses of juice. It surprised Amber. It was Woori. Was she also abducted and has no true no knowledge of what is going on? Why was she there? As she was about to speak up to catch the attention of the three, a loud noise was heard from afar. This alarmed the three outside, Woori guided the girls out of the room.

-----------------------

The breaking of the lock was quite loud and opening the huge metal gate was even louder. If they were in a stealth game, they'd be dead meat without even reaching the highlight of the battlefield. Quickly but slowly, the team headed in. They were welcomed by what looked like a garage or parking lot of some sort. It was little dark. Not long, they started to hear gunshots firing. The SWAT that was leading the team, formed like some sort of formation. There were poles and Key hid from the view using these. Other policemen did as well. More shots were heard, others groaning in pain. Not so long, they sped and walked faster to head to the nearest entrance. Taemin and Key were trailing behind Jonghyun, not long then Jonghyun stopped in his tracks. A bullet grazed Jonghyun's arm. It had started bleeding.

"I'm okay. Go ahead! I'll keep up." Key and Taemin remained where they were to assist Jonghyun. It was then that a man tackled Key from behind and gripped Key so that the latter can't escape. Without a heavy build on his body, Key struggled a little bit. Taemin tackled the man that attacked Key and started punching him. Key then pushed his elbow into the man's gut, leaving him coughing in pain. Key ran with Taemin away from the man. One of the policemen shot the man's thigh to prevent him from running after the two. Some of the police remained behind to control and attack the men that started the firing, while the rest went deeper into the place. They found a door at the end of the parking lot, opened it and went up the small flight of stairs they found. An entire hallway filled with rooms welcomed them. 

It was dark. No lights were and only flashes of lightning illuminated the hallway. Slowly, the team started exploring the floor, carefully, they opened the doors. Most of the rooms were empty. Most contained nothing at all, others had boxes of what looked like supplies or something. Others were casual rooms, that looked like coffee rooms for employees. As they were nearing the end of the hallway, one of the police opened the door. It was a little too late, when one shouted don't and a huge blast of air, forced the man's body into the wall. The window across the door shattered, leaving shards of glass flying outside. The police that opened the door was lying on the floor either unconscious or dead. It was a blast gun that has its trigger, tied up and would be triggered when the door was opened. Apparently, one of his colleagues heard the click of the nylon when the door was slightly opened. It was a second late when the man opened the door.

"Everyone be alert. Whoever is behind this knows this place well. Other traps and such may be placed elsewhere. Be careful! Some of you, call an ambulance for everyone that has attained injuries, especially to those we left below. Let's go." The squad leader ordered.

They reached the end of the hallway, which lead deeper into another hallway. No untoward incident followed when they went through that hallway. Stairs were present as well. They headed on, found a door and the opened the door slowly. This time around, an open field welcomed them. What was surprising however was that it looked more like a yard you'd find in a house. There were trees, pots with flowers and the like. 

"Remember what I ordered everyone. Be careful and alert. The area is open. Threats may come in 360 degrees. Go!"

Everyone was alert when they crossed the yard slowly. Not long though, they saw a man walking towards them. Slowly, looking disoriented, dazed and wet because of the rain. He was holding a gun on his right hand. He looked as if he was crying. He then raised his arm and pointed his gun.

"Sir, please. Put the gun down." One of the police ordered. The man didn't listen. Taemin was standing beside Key. "Is he the one?" the younger one asked.

"No, I don't think so."

The police repeated the order but again, to no avail. "Bastards!!!!" The man shouted but right before he could fire his gun, the police rained on him bullets; on his foot, arm, thighs, others landed near his gut. Immediately the man fell, motionless soon after. Not from afar, a house was seen. It was surrounded by the yard but not too much. The house itself wasn't so big but it was tad bit larger in comparison to Key's former house. Right at the moment the squad leader was about to instruct everyone to surround the house, Key's cellphone rang. 

Key took it from one of the interior pockets of his jacket and saw that it was a text message.

"Alone. I want you alone."

He closed it. "He wants me alone."

Upon hearing it, Taemin rejected the idea. "No! You can't go in there alone. It's a trap hyung! He wants you for himself so that no one can protect you.. Don't listen to him!"
However, Taemin's efforts were in vain. Key had started removing his protecting jacket. He did keep the gun in his pocket but other than that, he was completely vulnerable. Not to mention that they failed to notice that Key had actually been hit by a bullet. He'd been bleeding. . Key then walked towards Taemin and hugged the latter.

"I'll be okay Taemin. I'll be back. Wait for your hyung, okay?" Taemin had teared up but nodded on his hyung's decision. The squad leader instructed the others to surround the house. Key then entered the door.

It was not as dark as he had expected. Some of the rooms were well lit and showed that it was a typical house. The living room was the first thing that he saw. Couches, coffee tables and a fireplace. Carpets covered the floor and porcelain was displayed everywhere from figurines to vases. The dining room was connected to the living room. Key can only imagine what the kitchen looks like. A flight of stairs occupied the center of the house. As he was about to climb upstairs, Key heard footsteps. He readied his gun. 

It was a man, dressed in a suit. Key drew his gun and pointed it at the man.

"Are you the one?! Where are they? Where is Amber and the others?"

The man kept walking towards him. "I'm not the one you are looking for. Master is upstairs, awaiting you."

"Ehh?"

"Please, follow me."

Key did as he was told, hiding his gun in the process. As they reached the second floor, Key noticed a painting. It was of a family. A father, mother and two children; a son and daughter. He assumed it was a family portrait of some sort. In comparison to the building where they came from, the house didn't have much rooms. The man in the suit then opened the door of one room.

"Master said, for you to wait here. Master shall attend to you as soon as possible."

"Huh? Ww--wai.."

 But right before Key could ask further questions, the door was closed shut. It looked like some sort of receiving area of some sort, similar to an office or study. Key looked around and noticed the picture, that had the same image to that of the painting he saw outside. But not only that, the room wsa clad with different photos of the family as well. If not the entire family, the siblings would be pictured playing around in some sort of beach. As he walked along, he heard a small groaning sound somewhere in the room. He kept quiet and traced where it was coming from. He then stopped at one of the walls, tried tapping it, and found a hollow sound. He pushed it and there he saw his mother chain bound on a chair, with gagged tightly with a cloth and duct tape. 

Key was horrified with what he saw. Chunyi's wounds looked infected and her bruises were already blue and others were really bumpy. She sported cuts all over her arm and her filthy clothes, were just.

"Mom!!" Key called. But instead of welcoming her own son with welcoming eyes. She kept shaking her head and kept groaning inaudible sounds. Key reached for his mother's hands that were chain bound on the chair she was in. He tried nudging it, looking for any means, to at least try and loosen it. 

"We'll get you out of you here eomma.. Just stay put." As Key tried more and more. He failed to notice that someone has come into the room. Chunyi tried to shout to divert Key's attention but the gag wasn't helping. 

"Eomm-----aa.."

Key fell on the floor, unconscious. The person that came in had smacked him in the head with the base of the gun he has on his hand. Chunyi panicked in her seat and tried shouting even more. The person then gripped Chunyi's neck, as if he was trying to choke Chunyi. He whispered into her ear.

"You're too noisy. If you want your son, alive. I suggest you shut up.. Or do you want to go before he does, huh?"

He tightened his grip, which made Chunyi squirm under the pain. Soon enough, he let go and dragged Key's body, out of Chunyi's sight.

--------------------------------

Amber was waiting for the right time to come out from the closet she was in. The small opening she was able to make through the door wasn't really enough for her to fully view what was going on outside. She was sure that there were gunshots, which made the three flee. Also, she needed to at least find something to cut off the ropes that were tying her hands together. She tried looking around and found a nail, protruding through the flooring of the closet. She positioned herself so that her hands and ropes were near the nail. She scratched and scratched. Despite sustaining some scratches on her hand as well and despite sweating like crazy; she was able to break free. Slowly, she tried opening the door and peeked. She went out and carefully hid walked inside the room. She saw the three were outside, on a small yard. Before she could even walk towards them, Amber had started crying. 

She was just a few feet away. Her daughter, Eunyoung, was just there. Playfully smiling and laughing, with no care in the world. She wiped herself, not long, Eunjeon saw her and shouted her name. "Amber eomma!"

Eunyoung faced the same way and smiled upon seeing Amber. As the two girls were about to run towards Amber, Woori stopped them.

"No. Where are you two going? We were still playing, right?"

"Yes. but.."

"No buts.." 

Woori then stood and motioned to order the guards that were there to take hold of the girls. Amber gasped at the sight.

"Woori? Ww--what is going on here?"

"Are you really that slow? I think even a no-brainer can fully figure out what is going on. Or are you just that stupid not to realize why I'm here?"

Woori then started walking towards Amber. "It's better if you just die here. It's better if you just rot in hell. You !~" She shouted at her. The two girls behind them had started tearing up.

"If it weren't for you, if it weren't for you. I could've had my fairytale ending.. Those girls, they're sweet. They're still young. I can raise them as my own, with Key, when you're gone.. Heh" Amber tried to push her away. But she was just too weak to be able to do so. Woori then pushed her to the ground. "I should've just killed you when you arrived here! Do you remember? How these feet of mine felt as they were pressing unto your back. Kyah, it was a sight to behold to see your face kissing the muddy floor like that. It was more than satisfying!" Amber wanted to cry. She no longer the woman that was in front of her. This Woori was angry, full of hatred and vengeance. She missed the old Woori. The Woori she considered not only as a dear friend but as a sister.

-----------------------------

Key's head ached as soon as he woke up. He was still in the same room, he wasn't tied with hands behind the back, but one of his hands was handcuffed to the couch. He tried to feel his pockets with his free hand but the gun he held was no longer there. He also felt his head and there was more than evident bump on the back of his head. It just made his headache that had started that day a lot worse. 

"Looking for this?" Key looked to where it was coming from. It was from someone that was seated on a large office chair, with it's back facing him. "Are you having fun?" The man asked. Key didn't respond. The person behind this. The person behind everything was just there, behind that desk and he couldn't do anything. Slowly, the chair had started turning. Key held his breath. 

"Your mother was more than entertaining to see like that.."

"No...no."

The man cocked his head. "Yes, yes.."

"No.. No.. How can it be you?!"

The man stood from where he was and walked towards Key. "Come on, don't tell me you never guessed once that it was me? I mean, was I that good? Ohh, yeah.. I am. I know I am. Or maybe, it was just that you guys were too easy. You guys were too easy to predict."

"But..how??? Whhy?!"

The man then went to where Chunyi was and dragged the woman. Key screamed on what the man was doing. "Let go of her! Stop that!" The man did as Key told but the chair fell down and Chunyi fell. "Bastard!"

The man then faced Key and gripped him by the neck. "Bastard?! Last time I checked the dictionary, bastard is the son that was made second. The second child, the child that was not meant to be there. Me? I'm not the bastard Key. Why don't you try to ask your of a mother!"

"Don't call her like that!" The man paid no attention to what Key told and hastily removed the duct tape that was covering Chunyi's mouth. She groaned from the pain. She had been crying since Key came in.

"Kibum.."

"Eomma.."

The man then grabbed Chunyi by the hair. "Tell him.. Tell him!" He ordered. But instead of doing so, Chunyi spat on the man. Because of this, the man let go of Chunyi and banged the woman's head towards the floor. Key shouted. "No!!!!" In that instant, Chunyi lost consciousness from the impact. 

The man then sat beside Key and started caressing the latter's face. "Shh, hush now. Stop crying my little brother. Your hyung is here. Haha" Key then realized what the man had said. Little brother?What did he mean? What was going on?

"Wait, what are you.."

"This, all of this.. Is the fault of that woman, that woman and your fault! You see these photos? These photos are photos of my family. There, that there was my little sister. Those are my parents.. Well, I thought, were my parents." The man went to the desk and brought out a photo from one of the drawers. "My adoptive parents. They were amazing. They raised me well. Gave me schooling.. They gave me a home. We weren't that rich but they managed a small manufacturing business that was run just behind our house.. This house. Everything was going well.. but..."

The man cut short his words before continuing. "But your family destroyed it. Your family plotted the death of my family. They wanted our business out. The car we were riding in, on the way to a hotel to celebrate my sister's birthday, was ran over by a truck. That corporation of your family, wanted no competition and wanted no witness alive. It was released in the news that everyone in the car died. But they were wrong. I was alive.. I remained in the orphanage for two years. There.. that was where, I swore. That I will get my vengeance. I looked for your family.."

"And when I thought that things were over, I discovered more. By that time, I realized I wasn't the child I thought I was. I went back to this house before I decided to plot my revenge. As I went through the remainder of the things that my parents still had after the company was shut down, I found papers in their things and saw adoption documents. Turns out they adopted me from a woman named Song Soonmi. I looked and read, and found out that my father was a Kim. Kim Joonmyeon."

Key's eyes widened upong hearing the name. "Joonmyeon?" Key uttered. "Yes Kibum. My father, is your father. Your mother was a better in keeping secrets than I had expected. To tell you the truth, I don't know how it happened. I had to coerce it out of your mother to know the facts behind some questions I still held."

Key was now confused, not to mention the worsening headache. He's trying his best to stay awake. "Your mother ever said, she got knocked up by your dad? turns out your dad, well, our dad. had a girlfriend.. He has one before he had that accident with your mom. That girlfriend, was my mom! That mother of yours, stole my dad! If it weren't for your mother, I would've gotten to know my real mother. I would've had a family of my own!"

-----------------------

Amber was still under Woori's grip. "Woori, stop this, please!"

Soon enough, a large blasting sound was heard not from afar. The SWAT has entered the premises of the house. Woori cursed under her breathe. She let go of Amber and went over to the girls. She grabbed one of the guards guns and ordered them to go. Woori then took hold of the girls, the girls had started crying out of fear.

"Woori, don't.." Amber pleaded. Woori pointed the gun at Eunyoung's forehead, at the same she had started crying.

"I heard children's skulls are relatively thin. If I shoot a bullet, this could easily penetrate the skulls of these two kids."

"Woori, no.. You wouldn't do that.." Amber carefully walked towards Woori. Woori started pointing the gun towards Amber and the girls back forth. The girls kept on crying. "I could. I would Amber, don't come near!" 

"Woori. I know you. I know you may hate me but please have mercy on them. They don't know any of this.. Please, Woori.. Woori!" Woori, crying hysterically, gave up and let go of the girls and dropped the gun. Amber was right. She hated her but she can't kill those girls. They were oblivious to the woes that their parents and to that of the world. Hurriedly, Amber took the girls away from Woori. 

"Key is definitely inside the house. Go. Go before I change my mind and actually shoot you.."

"Thank you."

Amber took the girls and they sped off.

--------------------------------

His words were cut short when they heard the blast outside. "Didn't I tell you to go alone?!" He then took the gun and pointed it to Chunyi. The SWAT went from the backyard, based from where the sound of the blast was coming from. It was still a long walk towards where they were but Key had to hurry. He must find a way sooner or later or else his mother would die. Let alone, he still has to find Amber and the others. 

Amber went into the house as Woori told her. She first went into a room, made sure no one was there and told the girls to stay there. Keep the doors locked and not talk to anyone else. It was the only way she can ensure the girls safety. She then went upstairs. 

"But why did you have to involve my family?! Amber? Our daughter?"

"Your daughter was pretty easy to take. A person can be disguised so easily as a nurse and the others are so easy to be bribed by money. I had to do it. I wanted you to feel the pain of having your family taken away from you. I had my family taken away from me Key, not just once but twice! You can't fathom the pain that I felt when I learned and realized everything. I changed my name and pretended as a helpless kid with no idea in the world and work for your family. I can't destroy your family if I did it alone. I needed to gain your trust but also of your mother's. It was a lot easier than I had expected. Also, hiding your daughter was quite convenient since uncle was just around the area. Our worthless uncle that drove father away." He said on and on without noticing that Key found a broken chain on the handcuff and started to exert force on it to break free. But yet again, his headache and the bleeding on his side was not helping.

---

Amber heard voices from the second floor and went to where it was. She carefully opened the door. She was horrified, yes horrified..

"No. You?! It's you?!"

The two then faced Amber. "Amber! No, don't go in here.. Run!" Key ordered but Amber's feet were not taking her anywhere. There she stood in shock and horror, in tears. "No.. Why? How could you? Suho, how could you?! Key trusted you. I trusted you! Suho, why?!!"

Soon, the sound of the SWAT being able to penerate the main house was heard downstairs. In a matter of three minutes they'll be upstairs. Without words, Suho took the gun and diverted it towards Amber, Key who then managed to escape from the handcuffs went for Amber. Amber, seeing it as a trap, shouted for Key to stay where he was.

"No!"

"Nooo!"

Right then, a gunshot was heard. Suho shot the gun and gave away where they were. The SWAT came rushing in into the room. Amber had closed her eyes upon hearing the gunshot, scared to open her eyes. Scared to see that Key would be in front of her. It took every ounce of courage in her being to open her eyes, ready for the worst but instead of seeing a bloodied Key, there she was lying on the floor, gasping for breath, Woori.

"Woori?" Amber called on.

Woori came into the room just in time. She followed Amber. She saw the gun that Suho held and ran towards Key. She caught the bullet. "Woori? No.. Woori.." Amber went towards Woori's side. She had started crying. 

"Whhy?"

"I didn't save you, dummy.." She struggled to say. "It..it was the last thing.. I can actually do.. I know I was wrong but for the last time, at least, I was a friend to you. I'm so sorry Amber.. I'm so sorry.."

"Shhh.. No, no.. You'll be okay, an ambulance will come and get you,stop saying those kind of things."

Woori shook her head. "I'm sorry Amber. I really am.." Slowly, then she closed her eyes. "No.. No!!!" Amber shouted. The SWAT captured Suho, who didn't really try to run after he fired the gun. He stood there. The SWAT handcuffed him. Right before they took him out, Suho stopped by to where Amber was.

"You're definitely something Amber. I hate myself. I hate it that I can't kill you. I hate it that I'm just like my brother. Who would've thought that two Kims would fall for you Amber." After these words, they dragged him out. Paramedics soon arrived and took Woori from Amber's arms. Key then hugged Amber. Amber hugged back. They both stood and Amber assisted Key. He needed to be treated immediately. The wound on his side wasn't too deep but deep enough to cause serious pain and bleeding. The police had found the two girls and started to bring them outside.

They went out into the yard, where Key first entered the house. The rain was still a downpour. It was over. It was done. 

"Key, it's done.. Look, Aunt Chunyi is there. The girls, they are there." Key didn't particularly respond, only nodded. As they walked along, Amber saw the lifeless body that was lying on the grass with Mrs. Kim kneeling beside it, crying. It was Mr. Kim, Eunjeon's father, Key's and Suho's uncle. He was the brother of Key's father. Amber can only feel sorry for Mrs. Kim. Being involved is one thing, but losing your husband is another.

Amber, looked at Key. He has grown pale. The wound on his side was really taking damage. He might have lost too much blood. They needed to hurry. 

"Amber, please hurry. My head.. Arghh.."

"Is it a headache again? Wait, hold on Key.."

Amber realized it just now but ever since the accident. Key had recurring headaches and kept complaining that whenever it does happen, it seemed really painful. She doesn't know how many times it happens. Key never really told anyone as she was rushing, she felt her shoulder become heavy. Key had stopped walking.

"Arggh.." He groaned in pain.

"Key, come on."

Key walked towards Amber. His head, as if a mallet has ramming into his head; as if a bullet was slowly penetrating it. That's how painful it felt. And then, just then as he was about to reach Amber's hand, he fell on his knees and later fell on his back. There he fell, unconscious unto the muddy grass; seeing Amber's face and uttering Amber's name before he completely closed his eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew! It took me almost a total of 8 hours to write this. >< I never imagined it would be difficult to finish this. I was supposed to post it last night but had a hard time battling sleep. Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. I tried answering all the questions there is. If there is any you guys think left unanswered, please comment and say so! ^^ 

The next one will be the last chapter. I think I'll be starting a new fic, perhaps the link the will be posted on the end of the next chapter or so. Maybe, just maybe. Again, for the last time on this fic; stay tuned! ^^