Chapter 36- Signs, sealed and delivered

Superiority Complex

Not an ounce of sleep landed her consciousness that night. She was too worried to even try to sleep. Taemin stayed over and slept in the guest room while Minho headed home soon after they decided to call it a night. How can she sleep? How can she be at ease? Key was out there, at who knows where and they can't even trace his phone since it's pretty much dead on battery. She doesn't like the feeling in her gut. She knows something happened to Key. He didn't randomly book a hotel room or just go somewhere without telling her. He's not like that.

"Noona.."

"Taemin."

"Were you able to sleep?" He asked. Amber only shook her head. Taemin can understand. He was able to sleep but not so soundly either. He'd wake up in about a two to three hour interval. 

"I'll be calling a friend of mine to help us look for Key hyung. They'll be coming in an hour tops, so that we can try to start the search early on. I'll be cooking breakfast for us. You'll need to eat. It will be a long day ahead so we need energy."

Amber only nodded as the young one headed downstairs to do his own thing in the kitchen. She did need to eat. No food had been in the small stomach of hers since lunch yesterday. 

Taemin made nothing grand. Rice, eggs, some ham and kimchi; it was adequate and decent enough for breakfast. Amber wasn't really choosy. "I know you're still bothered as to where Key hyung is.. Don't worry noona, we'll find him. I'll be helping you. We'll be helping you. Minho hyung can't come in today since he'll substitute Key hyung. I heard some clients would be coming in for a meeting today. He'll take over temporarily. We can't have them know that they president has gone missing.."

"Thanks Taemin. For all of this, for helping, the food. Everything.. I was at a complete loss yesterday on who to contact or call." Taemin held Amber's hand assuring that things will be better. They'll find him, he was sure of that.

The police team that will be assisting them that day came exactly an hour after Taemin mentioned it. Amber and Taemin were already prepared. They headed out immediately. To be honest, Amber had no idea where to start but the police laid out a plan that they might as well head to Busan, and go back to Seoul, to try and trace Key's tracks. It was the only plan they can think of since they had no lead to his whereabouts.

It was almost a two hour drive to Busan. They went to the restaurant he met with the client based on records forwarded by Minho. To no avail, he was not there. In addition, Onew left earlier than Key since another client of theirs called and asked if they could talk about something, Key had asked Onew to do so that's why he was left at Busan. Assuming he left once the meeting was finished, they took the highway headed back to Seoul. 

It was already midday and Amber was starting to panic. They still had no idea as to where Key is. As they went along, the police noticed some skid marks and a line of broken barricades not so far from the exit of Busan. They stopped over and tried to follow the tracks. Amber frantically ran out of the car, expecting the worst. She surpassed the police, went down the rather steep hillside without a care in the world she might get injured or something. She kept uttering Key's name as she went down.

Much to her horror, she found Key's car. The police were right behind her. "No.. No.." She kept uttering.

Taemin covered her eyes. He was anticipating the worst as well. Was he dead? The car has obviously toppled over and took several turns before it halted as is. The hillside was pretty steep. Amber had tugged unto Taemin's shirt and started crying.

"Tell me this is not happening.. Please, Taemin. Tell me this is all a nightmare and I am yet to wake up. Please, slap me.. Punch me, anything.. Wake me up from this nightmare." She cried. Taemin had started tearing up as well. Was he going to lose his hyung just like that? The police came closer to the car as one of them called an ambulance to respond at the scene. As one of the team crept to see how Key was doing, he heard a faint hint of breathing and talking.

"Amber.."

"He's alive.. He's alive!!!" the police shouted. Amber turned around, relieved to know that Key was alive. She ran near his car, placed her hand into the broken windows and tried to reach for Key's hand. 

"Key..I'm here."

"Amber, I'm sorry." He said as he tightly clenched her hand. 

-----------------------------------------------

The sirens were the last thing he heard and her face was the last thing he saw before losing consciousness. He doesn't know what it was, but he didn't feel any pain when he felt he was being carried away unto the ambulance. It must've been the adrenaline, he doesn't know. But one thing is for sure, he was lucky to be even alive. 

"May I speak with the family?"

Amber approached the doctor. "Yes, doctor?"

"We have stitched up some deep wounds he sustained, the results of his MRI are yet to be released so I can't say for sure as to whether or not he'll be fine but he sustained a broken arm. His legs seem to be responding to stimulus so his spine is just fine. We'll have him remain in the ICU for now but he can transfer first thing in the morning tomorrow. He's still unconscious because of the pain reliever we gave him. You can just ask the nurse if he's awake."

"Thanks Doc."

"Ohh, also Mrs. Kim, you're husband is pretty lucky to be alive. If you had found him a little later, he could've bled to death because of all the wounds he sustained. I'll be going."

It was something Amber was certain of. Indeed, he was lucky to be alive but she didn't care. She is thankful that he is alive. Amber has arranged all the things that need to be done so that Key may be able to transfer to a room the following morning. Taemin accompanied the police in retrieving Key's car and have it checked as to what really happened.
Several hours has passed and Taemin, Minho and Sulli arrived. Jonghyun and Onew weren't informed yet of the situation.

"Eonni.." Sulli called on as she ran towards Amber's side. "Hey Ssul."

"Noona, is he awake?" 

"I haven't asked. You can ask the attendant at the ICU if he's already awake." 

The two did just that and were told that he already is but it would be best to not talk to him yet. He still looked a bit disoriented and it would be adviseable to talk to him the following morning already. Sulli decided to accompany Amber for the night as Minho and Taemin head on home to come back the following day.

"Eonni, you should try to get some sleep. I bet Key oppa would want that."

"I know Ssul. But, I can't sleep.. Not yet, I know he'll be fine and all but I need to at least be able to get to talk to him to know for sure." Amber said. Sulli can only ease her eonni by so much. Eventually though, Amber fell asleep and Sulli had asked the staff for a blanket just to keep her eonni warm. It had been tough for Amber. After dealing with Woori two days ago, and now having to be bothered by Key's condition, it was stressful. She being there for Amber  was the best form of support she can provide.

----------------------------

"Good morning Mrs. Kim. The doctor already gave the go signal that Mr. Kim can be transferred to a private room. I'd been informed that everything has been arranged last night?"

The nurse's voice woke Amber up. She only nodded in response since she was still a little out of it. She want back to sleep only to realize a few minutes later that Key will be transferred already. She woke Sulli up and the two accompanied the nurses where Key would be confined. The lad was still asleep.

"Hey., Amber. Wake up.." a faint voice ordered.

"Huh??" Amber responded. Key ran his hand through her hair.

"Key?! You're up!" Amber exclaimed. Key only gave out a smile. He tried sitting up, only to have Amber assist him. 

"Sulli is here. She just bought some food for breakfast. How are you feeling?"

"A little woozy? I think it's the medicine but otherwise I still feel a little pain in my legs, which I think is good since I know I'm not limp or anything. My arm, well. I know it's broken. Overall, I think I'll be fine." Key didn't notice it but Amber had started crying.

"You're crying again?"

"I can't help it. I was dead worried when you didn't come home, so we had to look for you. I almost died on the spot when we saw your car looking like that by the cliff off the road. I would've fainted if the police didn't say that you were alive. Then I saw you.. Somehow, I can't help feel as if this is related to me again. I was so scared of losing you back there. I just can't help cry."

Key cupped Amber's right cheek and wiped the tears. "Whatever this is, we'll have it resolved and I won't be going anywhere, okay? I'm alive, see? Now stop crying and just give me a well deserved kiss." Key teased. Amber did so. A little later, Sulli arrived with the food and two grown men, Minho and Taemin.

"Noona, can we talk with Key hyung for a while?"

Amber bid Key a short goodbye and headed out of the room to eat with Sulli.

"How are you feeling hyung?" Taemin asked.

"A little  better I suppose. Yesterday was agonizing to be honest. I felt all the pain of my arm being broken and my wounds bleeding out. I think the eventual adrenaline numbed all of that but today is a lot better."

"Can you tell us what you remember?" Minho asked.

"Well, I finished meeting a client by mid afternoon. I stopped by a small food cart to have bean bread and after that headed unto the highway to head back here to Seoul. I remember trying to hit the break. The rest was a blur after that. That's all I really remember.."

"We had your car checked yesterday. We were suppose to talk it out with you yesterday but the nurses said it would be better to let you rest. What we found, were a little baffling."

"Well, you see, the wires connecting your brake to the body, is.. Well, appeared to be cut." 

"It was a clear cut, hyung. We considered the possibility of it being worn out but your car was relatively new. Also, the cut, it was really as if a pair of scissors purposedly cut it."

"I actually thought of that while I was lying on the cold grass. But, I eventually brushed it off, since on my way to Busan, it was working just fine."

"It could be a possibility that it was cut halfway, and only have it tear since you'll be you using it. There are a lot of options but your accident, doesn't seem like an accident at all."

"Also, Key, these were delivered to the office yesterday. I didn't open them since it was addressed to you but what's weird to me is that the sender is anonymous." Minho said as he handed over an envelope. Key hurriedly opened it and was horrified to see the contents inside.

There were several sets of pictures, once again it was of Amber, him, but what surprised him was pictures of his mother. Then it all made sense to him. Whoever, or whatever was behind all this, they were not after Amber. They were after him. Amber and his mother were possible collateral damage. Whoever was doing this, wanted him hurt, not just physically but emotionally. Whoever was behind this was on the constant lookout and was definitely planning something even worse. Minho and Taemin saw the horror planted on Key's face and checked upon the envelope.
They too, were surprised to see what they found. They scanned deeper into the envelope and found a piece of paper, folded into three. They had Key open it.

"See you soon.."

Another question remains, Why?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another update. I finally decided to kill the idea that its not Key's mother who is behind all this. I don't think his mother would be capable of planning to kill his own son after losing his husband. I'll be filling in the story about Key's dad a little later. Hope you guys enjoyed this update ^^ Stay tuned!