Chapter 28- "Hey"

Superiority Complex

Things turned out to be normal.. Well, at least for him it did. Minho has stepped down from his post as OIC and once again handed the position of being President back to Key. It was a simple ceremony that, to no surprise, most of the female employees attended. It seems as if Key's icy facade has worn off and a lot of the staff would casually approach him to either say hello or greet their respect and congratulations. Minho would plainly laugh and look as to how the women would literally line up to meet Key up close. Taemin was still out of town and Onew had to leave first minute to meet a client. Jonghyun was bound to arrive anytime that day. Key bid his final thanks to everyone before returning to his room.

Despite being around for almost a week, Key hasn't done anything to the room nor does he have any plans to change it at all. It'll be troublesome if he does so he opted to keep it the way it is. 

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

It was Minho. 

"What's up Minho-ah? Is something wrong?"

Minho looked a little anxious since he kept on playing with his pen that placed near his side pocket.

"It's just that, I was wondering if I could take a vacation? Even just a short one? I suddenly felt the need to rest and somehow relax. I never got the chance to do so in the time you were gone. I can't really consider my one week absence a few months back since it was when Gayoon died."

"You don't have to be so shy to ask. Go ahead! I think it's a great idea for you to take a vacation. Who knows, you might meet someone along the trip."

"Aha. Well, I won't really be alone."

"Mwo?! Really? Nice one Minho. I wouldn't bother asking but sure, go ahead. Just go back when you think you've had your fill and let's work even harder. I plan to expand the clientelle of our company and not be bound by just well established corporations. I thought, why won't we offer services to schools or government offices? The earning aren't as high with the private companies we deal with but we do get to help and I think it'll be even better publicity to get even higher ranking companies to hire us. Don't you think?"

Minho wasn't really able to speak. Key wasn't president just for nothing. It was a brilliant idea. He only gave two thumbs up and a grin to show that he agrees to the idea before he went off. He plans to leave as soon as possible so that he can return sooner. Key started dialling his cellphone to contact Jonghyun.

--------------------

It was a little past noon when once again, a knock resonated in Key's office. Jonghyun came in and Key stood as fast as he can to welcome his hyung after not seeing each other for so long. 

"Hyung!"

"Kibeom-ah! I'm glad you're back aha!"

Both sat at the couch and Key started blurting out the different stories he has kept with him when he was in Europe. He remembered there was this incident that when he was walking around in Paris, looking for a good cafe to have breakfast, some Parisian ladies walked up to him and said hello. Key could barely understand French, if they spoke english, it would've been a lot easier. They dragged him to the side and started planting kisses his face and neck. It was then he realized that they reeked of alcohol and they were drunk as hell. He quickly shoved them away and ran as fast as he can. He decided to dine at the nearest cafe he can find and disguise himself before the ladies actually track him down.

"That's some incident you got there! You were actually kissed by a European lady? Hah! If I was there, they'd pin me down on the street.."

"Ohh shut up."

The two started laughing until Jonghyun hugged Key. "Glad to have you back Kibeom.. It's been so long and I can't believe we'll actually yearn for your  presence. I just hope you're okay now.. Again, welcome back."

"Thanks hyung. Me too, I'm more than happy to be back.'

Later on, Key shared his thoughts of the new plan he came up about expanding the scope of their company's services. Jonghyun, like Minho, seems to agree with the idea since he thinks it'll be a good plan since the company is already established and venturing into new waters wouldn't hurt so much. He later left saying he still has some field work he needs to do. Key bid his farewell and once again he was alone.

The majority of the afternoon was spent by compiling a database of potential schools that the company can possibly have as potential clients. Key remembered Eunjeon from the other day and has decided to narrow down the possible elementary schools the little girl is studying at. He'll be thrilled to meet her again. After coming up with the 36 membered list, he has decided to call it a day and go to work early the next day so he can start roaming around the schools and conduct talks to the school administration. It'll be the biggest project he'll be working on after going back to his post. He left the office and sped back home.

It was almost six when he already arrived and Suho has already finished cooking dinner for everyone.

"Welcome home. How was the day?"

"It was okay hyung.. Thanks."

Key proceeded to the living room where he frequently ate his meals. It's pretty evident that Key has avoided to eat in the dining area.

"Why do you keep eating here at the living room Key? Wouldn't it be convenient if you just ate at the dining table."

"I just feel like eating here Hyung. Nothing more.."

"Key.."

"please hyung. I think you know the answer as to why I won't do it, right? The dining area holds too many memories for me. I can't let that ruin me.. Not now."

"I understand Key.."

Suho left and finally let Key finish his business with the his dinner.

-----------------

As much as Key feels happy and contented,it still feels lonely. Six years have healed him but he hasn't forgotten. It was the truth when he told that the dining area still holds a lot of memories on his part. It was where the two of them got closer. It was where they started to share laughs and tearing their walls down. It was where Key felt that someone cared. The dining area is too precious and to go back might only open wounds that have freshly closed. It might bring back memories that sometimes he'd wish just weren't there. But he'd be lying if he'll say that she is no longer the one. Key knows that it's her, it can only be her.

After so long, Key lulled himself to sleep, crying...

----------------

The morning was on his side. He didn't wake up with swollen eyes and no one will realize that he cried one bit. He readied himself for work and went off without eating breakfast. He already had his staff call up at least four schools that would be willing to meet that day. Three of the four replied and said that they'll be willing to. It was a busy day ahead so Key had to go early.

The first in line was a junior high school. It seems that most of the students in the said school were from well off families and the school seems to be in good condition. The principal toured him around and showcased how "perfect" their school is. It wasn't the type of school Key was looking for, so he didn't take too long on the first one. The second one was an elementary school. Key hoped to somehow meet Eunjeon there but no luck. Turns out it was an all boys elementary school that indeed needed a lot of work. 

It was extremes for that place. There were rich kids, some were really poor. The principal said that most of the rich kids' parents would donate ample amount to keep the school going or else, they would've closed years ago. Key liked the idea of helping the school but he still had a lot more to see before saying yes to the administration. Out of the 36 schools, only 6 to 9 schools would be chosen so Key really has to be careful.

It was almost two o'clock when Key arrived to the last school he was to see that day. It was another elementary school and this some co-ed. They accomodated both male and female students. The school looked okay, it wasn't prestigious as the first one but not as poor as the former. Though it did appear that the building itself needed some help. The head teacher met Key since the principal was busy talking to some parents.

"We apologize Mr. Kim if we can't have you meet our principal right now, he's still talking to some parents but he said he'll be coming in a while."

"Ohh, no. Don't worry.."

The head teacher toured Key around. The students welcomed him, some said hello though others were really shy. Some of the kids would just stare at him.  He hasn't seen Eunjeon in any of the classrooms thus far since most of the classes they went to were of 5th or 6th graders. It was almost four when the principal arrived.

"Mr. Kim.. I apologize for not welcoming you sooner. I'm Mr. Park Jongmyeon, the principal.."

"Ahh, Mr. Park.. Nice to see you."

The principal lead the way to his office where Key was offered tea. "We appreaciate the fact that you had our school as one of the candidates. Though may I know, what does your company really intend to do?"

"Well, we are a construction and manpower company. To be honest, we are relatively young compared to other companies out there but we want to be able to help schools. We'll sponsor them construction and if ever they need manpower, the school can hire from our staff in turn but the fee we'll be asking is still cheaper."

"I see. Like an act of charity with something in return?"

'You can say that.. I wouldn't be denying that intention. It can also serve as good credits to our company name to have affliated institutions. After all, I'm still running a corporation, a business.. An entrepreneur has to do what it's got to do. But our intentions of helping the chosen institutions are true.."

"Yes, Mr. Kim. I do see that.. And I don't have any issues on that. It'll be a mutual relationship if ever, wouldn't it?"

"Exactly.."

It was a hot conversation and Key eventually had to leave since it was getting late and most of the school staff would be leaving anyway. Mr. Park expressed his gratitude of having Key come over and choosing them as one of the candidates. As the teachers and principal lead Key out of the school, Key noticed something.

He had to stop and observe. Key then ran off and checked the first floor faculty which housed the teachers from grades 1-4. He closed the door and headed to the third one, again he went off running. The other teachers started running after him since they can't understand what he was up to. Key then ran his way towards the stairs that will lead to the rooftop. He paused before he opened the door.

"Mr. Kim, what is wrong? What are you doing?!" The head teacher asked him. Key only ignored the question. He breathed in and twisted the door knob.

-----------------

Apparently, it was already sunset. The beautiful orange sky filled the horizon and Key could only admire the beauty it heralded. He was in awe. 

Let alone, his breaths were heavy. He was panting and tired from all the running he did. Yet no sweat was running down from his face. Was it the nerves? Was it his heartbeat? He was unsure. He walked further to see the rooftop. 

He was right.

......................................

...............................

........................

................

.............

"Hey.."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update! Janjanjan! Not much of revelations here to be honest, just some more story telling and all. The next one will be a lot more interesting. Any idea as to what made Key run frantically like that? Do you think was it something he heard? saw? Smelled? What?? :) Thoughts please?

Again, if you want to talk to me, just tweet me @amkiiberbeom

Thanks everyone and stay tuned!! :D