Chapter 16- Is she the one?

Superiority Complex

The mornings they woke up, knowing that their better half is beside them, would always be a delight. Knowing for a fact that they'll be there for each other, getting through a day is like a ride in the park. It's been like that. They wished it would always be like that. They planned it would always be like that. But like what they say, the only predictable thing about life is change. Places change. People change. They changed, or at least they both thought they did. It was their downfall. It has taken its toll. There was only one option left and they took it before they started even tearing each other apart.

--------------

It was her own little secret. She opted to keep it to herself and not let him know what went on that night. It was something she didn't want to talk about anyway, especially with him. If it took a matter of a life and death situation, she'd opt to keep it and take the secret with her to the grave. She knew that if ever people knew, most especially him, would be scared for their lives and wonder if the Earth switched polarities that what happened, happened.

If being a bum was a job, she'll definitely be acing it and would be first in line for a promotion. It was one of the days she hated the most and dreaded to ever arrive. If she was back home, she'd be sure that her sister would be nagging her non-stop because of the fact she did what she did. She missed having Jackie around. She missed her nagging and the her care, her motherly care.

"I'll get going.." A voice interrupted her thoughts of Jackie.

It was Key. He's all ready to go to work. Has Amber mentioned before how Key actually looks good in his suit? He looks professional and respectable. He exuded an intimidating aura that had a commanding presence. She complained about it before but lately she's taken a liking to it.

"I'll be telling Suho hyung to cook porridge for you. Do you have any preference? Just tell him and he can cook it. I'll be going to work."

He left Amber's door and started heading downstairs. Amber quickly got out of bed and followed Key to the front door.

"Be safe." She said with such a nasal voice.

"I'll be fine. Go back to bed.." Key replied. He later pinched Amber's cheek before entering the car to head to work.

She bid goodbye as Key drove off. She had a smile on her face. Things had been different for them. Ever since that incident happened almost two weeks ago, Key had been less hostile. He has opened up. Amber can't forget one story Key shared that when he was younger, he tend to push Minho around and kept on saying how short his dongsaeng is. In a matter of years, Minho outgrew him which Key found funny. Amber laughed at his silly stories. There was still a lot of things about Key's past that Amber doesn't know but she's not in a hurry to know them anyway. 
In fact, Key was the one who said she shouldn't hurry. He has no plans of terminating the contract just yet since his mother is still pestering him about meet ups.

"You two grew a lot closer in such a short period of time.."

"Ohh.. Not really.. But things have changed I guess? I get to have proper conversations with him.."

Suho gave out a smile which Amber didn't understand. It was a different kind of smile but she brushed it off.

"Suho, can I have some chicken porridge with a little bit of ginger?"

"Ohh, yeah.. Of course. Just go back to bed.. It'll be ready in a bit."

Amber bowed and went back to bed. It was pretty much clear that she was sick. Last week's tripping with her sister, walking in the rain when they visited their father's grave didn't do her any good. Jackie had always told her she catches a cold like a baby and apparently it was true. She caught a cold and sustained a fever. She can't go to work yet again and she's certain Woori would be texting her why she's not around.

-------------------

Key had to meet Minho that day because of an issue they can't agree on one of the propals on a Chinese client which Onew proposed about almost a month back. They're having disagreements on whether they'll release the request of the client to hire 30% of their manpower to build a condominium in downtown Seoul. Minho was in favor of it but Key thinks it's a big percentage.

"Can't you understand that 30% is a huge percentage of our workmen? Do you really think I'll release them to just work for a single client? It's a loss on our part.."

"The client is willing to pay in full immediately.. It's not a loss on our part Key!"

"It's not about money Minho.. Our other clients need our workmen as well. We can never compromise the quality of the manpower services we provide for money.."

"Fine.. Have your way. But don't blame me when we get less of a profit."

Minho was about to walk out of the office but he pounced on Key and started tickling the latter.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Key asked while laughing.

"You owe me twice now! On this decision and you not telling me you were married!"

"Sorry!"

"Sorry isn't good enough Key hyunngie.."

The tickling went on until Key was able to push Minho off of him. Both had petty smiles. They always played rough when they were kids and it seemed to have been the same since then.

"Fine. But I have to meet her someday okay?"

"When she's not busy.."

"Okay.. Bye.. I'll be at my office. Call me if you need anything.."

Minho left. Key's stomach was still aching because of the rough game they did. He lied. Amber wasn't really busy but Key was hesitant to introduce Amber to Minho in the first place. He has his reasons; reasons other don't really know.

------------------

Amber was bored to death. She wanted to go out but Suho isn't letting her. He said it was Key's strict order to look over her and made sure I'd get well. Amber thought it was sweet on Key's part but she wished she could at least meet someone. It was a little past noon and the girls were pretty much in work. Jackie is somewhere Amber can't tell. The list of potential visitors she could invite over were cut short until she thought of one last person, hoping she could go.

Amber waited. A barrage of door bells were heard 30 minutes after she called and seems like her visitor didn't fail to keep her promise. Their house had no ramp so getting to her room will take time but she can wait. All she wants is someone to talk to and someone to keep her company. Amber was comfortable with people around the house but this person can seem to read everything about her. Moments after, she heard a knock on her door.

"Come in."

As always, like she's always been, Luna had a smile that can light up a room instantly. Amber felt a lot less gloomy on the fact she can't go out. It was her driver that brought Luna upstairs. Suho helped in bring the wheelchair up the stairs. Luna bowed courteously to her driver who gently placed her on the wheelchair Suho has already opened.

"Sorry it was so short noticed. I can't think of anyone else besides you.. I'm thankful you came.."

"It's no big. I don't have anything else to do at home as well. Onew oppa is out of the country for the week so I'm quite bored as well.I'm happy you invited me over."

Amber smiled. Luna went closer for a hug but Amber insisted not to or else Luna might get sick as well. Luna frowned but later on smiled as if she was mocking Amber.

"I'm just kidding.. Well, my question last time? Can you answer it? We were cut short when Key oppa dragged you away.."

"Ohh.. That? Yeah.. Actually, a few moments after I left. I've already decided.."

"Well? What is it?"

"I'm aware of his icy approach towards other people. We met like that. He was icy and I was more of the friendly type. To be honest, when you asked me if I'll do whatever it takes to break his icy facade, I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to react. But later on I realized, why I married him in the first place. It was because of the fact I saw a glimpse of his warmth. He's caring. So, it's a yes. I'll be staying 'til the end."

Luna smiled. She went for a hug even if Amber might push her away. She can't express how thankful she is. Luna was one of Key's oldest friends so Amber thought she might have an idea what happened to Key. Amber asked Luna after the girl broke the hug. However, instead of grabbing her sketchpad and write as fast as she can, she bit her lip and looked hesitant.

"Why?" Amber finally asked.

"I'm not in the position to tell you anything. I know things but perhaps what I know can't give justice to what really happened. Key oppa could tell you perhaps? Ask him. I bet he wouldn't mind."

Amber only nodded feeling a little disappointed. She hoped that Luna can tell her something but instead she was irked more about Key and what happened to him. But then again, she can't hate on Luna. She somewhat "lied" about the true reason she married Key but her words weren't all lies. Most of them were true, her answer to Luna's question? It was the truth.

They later talked and talked about random things until Luna had to go home by past three. Amber thanked her.She actually sustained a fever yet again when Luna came over. She felt so out of it. She had to go back to sleep to try and rest.

------------------

Key went home and headed straight for Amber's room to see how the girl was doing. He was surprised to find that Amber wasn't in her bed. He tried knocking on the bathroom door but it only opened revealing Amber wasn't there. He was about to shout to Suho to ask where Amber was. It wasn't until Amber showed up in her PJs, covered in a blanket while carrying a mug of hot chocolate in her hand.

"Ohh, hey Key.. Welcome home."

Key rushed to Amber and took the mug from her hand.

"Thanks.. How was your day?" Amber asked as she sat on her bed.

"It was okay. Minho and I were finally able to agree on a proposal we've had arguments about.."

"Really? Well that seems to be good news.."

"Yeah.. So, how have you been? Feeling any better?"

"Yeah.. I've been well since 5 this afternoon? I haven't had a fever again so I think I'm good."

Key ruffled Amber's hair. "Good to know..I heard you invited Luna over?"

"Ohh, yeah. I felt a little bored. Sorry I wasn't able to say anything.."

"No, it's okay. Onew hyung isn't here as well so I bet she was bored as well.."

Amber smiled. He smiled back. Amber found Key's smile so precious. It was a rare sight and she feels happy knowing she can bring a smile on his face.

"We won't be going to work tomorrow.."

"Huh? What do you mean? Isn't it only a Thursday tomorrow?"

"Yeah. We'll meet with my mother.."

"What?! Again? But, I mean.."

"Don't worry. She texted me today saying she wanted to apologize but I don't buy it. We might as well go or she wouldn't stop. Just don't get sick tonight and we'll be good."

"It's not like I can control that right?"

"Whatever. Go back to sleep. Wake up by 9:00am.. It's a lunch with her so prepare early.."

He left after saying his reminders to head back to his room. Amber was anxious yet again. She has met Key's mother before but it wasn't a good welcome from her to begin with. Amber knew Key was well aware of it but sometimes she wondered why Key isn't really doing anything about it. But she had to deal with it. She might as well go and tolerate her "mother-in-law".

----------------

"Can't you hurry up?"

"I'm almost there? Can't you at least consider I was sick yesterday! I'm weak.."

"Whatever.. Just get in the car.."

Amber ran to the car in her heels since Key was threatening he'll leave without her. She wore slacks, a blue blouse and black pumps. 

"I don't get why she invited lunch.. It's so.."

"So?"

"Untimely? Your mother has her ways.."

"I know.. Just keep your guard up like you've always have around her. I don't know but my mother is weird lately. To be honest, she's been nice which I don't like. She's up to something and by the looks of it, it's not good." Key warned. Amber nodded. It was a quiet ride to the restaurant. It's not that they didn't want to talk but there was nothing to talk about. Both had their minds worried about what's waiting for them.

---------------

They went out of the car. Amber felt quite normal and Key looked tense. It was really a shift of polarity. She felt at ease but Key was the total opposite. Amber tried to ease his tension by trying to fix his necktie which has been a habit of hers almost two weeks ago or maybe even prior. She didn't take note on when she first fixed his tie.

"Calm down. Usually you're the one who's keeping his cool.. Look at me. I'm fine. Okay?"

"I know.. To be honest, I don't know what's going on with me.. Just, let's go."

Key took her hand and wrapped it on his arm. It felt a lot more natural than when they first had their shared lunch with Key's mother. It was a lot less grand compared to the prestigious one Amber had to explore months back. They walked in and feeling a lot more confident as they took more steps. Not so far from the entrance Amber caught a glimpse of Key's mother and pointed to her direction. Key lead the way. He stopped for a second before walking yet again.

"Hey mother.." Key muttered. Amber was about to greet but was surprised to find another person with them. 

"Hi dear, please sit down.." Chunyi invited. The two sat.

Key felt Amber's grip tighten. He knew that she was now nervous and feeling a little lost because of the fact that she doesn't only need to face his mother but also someone less, let alone a woman.

She had long, black, flowy hair. She had sharp eyes and an aura that was dominating just like Key. It was pretty obvious that Key and his mother knew her. She wouldn't be there in the first place if they didn't.

"Hi Kibum.." She uttered.

"Hey."

She smiled. It was a warm smile. She later on glanced at Amber. Amber smiled back. 

"Well, dear? Aren't you going to introduce our guest here?"

"Ohh, Amber? This is Gayoon.. Gayoon this is my wife, Amber.."

"So I heard.. Nice to meet you, Amber."

Amber reached out for her hand. Gayoon did as well. "Nice to meet you too.."

==============================================================

UPDATE! Wee.. XD I'm trying my best to at least keep my promise of one update a week. :D Please bear with me! T^T Anyway, so.. There we go. I hope you like this update. The story will continue to progress from here. XD Kind of leaving the ending of the previous one a mystery.. Thank you! Stay tuned. :>